Code of Conduct

Default Looking for good strong Oakmoss mossy note

Are there any fragrances with a strong moss note?

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Looking for good strong Oakmoss mossy note

You are aware that chypre fragrances must contain oakmoss to be categorized a chypre, right? Some of my recommendations for very oakmoss prominent chypres are:

Masculine - Numero Uno by Carthusia
    Feminine - Mitsouko by Guerlain

Both of these can be worn comfortably by a man. Good luck!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th July 2010 at 10:10 PM.

Try to find vintage Coriandre Pdt (Parfum de Toilette). Loads of oakmoss, not restricted by somebody. Real beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    You are aware that chypre fragrances must contain oakmoss to be categorized a chypre, right?
    Not true, a traditional chypre is almost always built around a base of oak moss/ambergris, but a chypre can also be built around a patchouli base without a trace of oak/tree moss. Gucci By Gucci is a good example of a moss-free chypre.
    That said, Numero Uno and Mitsouko are wonderful mossy fragrances, aren't they? Can I suggest Moss Breches by Tom Ford - goes a little sweet in the dry-down, but quite good.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 10th July 2010 at 11:26 PM.

Off-Scenter

In addition to the fine suggestions already made, I'd add French Lover/Bois d'Orage, R. de Capucci, Polo, Bandit, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, and Aramis 900.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 10th July 2010 at 10:42 PM.

Czech & Speake's Oxford & Cambridge is not only a damn good fragrance made with top notch materials, its latest formulation still contains a good dose of quality oakmoss in the drydown.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Feminine - Mitsouko by Guerlain
    It's worth mentioning that the reformulated EdT version (fortunately for me) contains very little actual oakmoss, so avoid that one if you want "true" oakmoss (or go for the EdP and vintage versions).

I recently wore Oxford and Cambridge by Czech & Speake I was blown away by how much oakmoss is in there... too much if you ask me. New York by Patricia de Nicolai also contains a huge dose in the drydown. Those two have stronger oakmoss notes than the reformulated Mitsouko EdT IMO.

Edit: Zztopp, I see you beat me to it with the Oxford rec. I totally agree.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 10th July 2010 at 10:49 PM.
    Sales thread here

+1 Polo. Also if you don't mind gourmands, Animale Animale has a wonderful chocolate and moss opening that's pretty distinctive. The moss sticks around for a few hours on my skin, and adds some vanilla and like a raspberry truffle note. It makes for a gourmand that's similar to Rochas Man and A*Men, but with more of an earthy smell with that moss opening.

Quote Originally Posted by seanjuan84 View Post
    Are there any fragrances with a strong moss note?
    BPAL Zombi: "Dried roses, rose leaf, Spanish moss, oakmoss and deep brown earth"

You want a frag that has a big fat oakmoss note that is EASY to find online and not expensive at all? Get Acqua di Selva, a true blue classic you can buy for like $20 for a big 3.4 oz. bottle. It's a great scent too, besides the big oakmoss note.

Basenotes Institution

Perhaps you could try Green Oakmoss by Soivohle ( Liz Zorn )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    You want a frag that has a big fat oakmoss note that is EASY to find online and not expensive at all? Get Acqua di Selva, a true blue classic you can buy for like $20 for a big 3.4 oz. bottle. It's a great scent too, besides the big oakmoss note.
    http://www.scentmonkey.com/product.php?code=M-1952
    3.4 oz = 13.43 + free shipping. Scent Monkey always has the lowest prices, but their customer service is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Not true, a traditional chypre is almost always built around a base of oak moss/ambergris, but a chypre can also be built around a patchouli base without a trace of oak/tree moss......
    New chypres can be a variety of things, but the original chypre genre is "based on a three component accord that remains unsurpassed and fertile in new developments ninety years later: bergamot, labdanum, and oakmoss. They smell respectively citrus-resinous, sweet-amber resinous, and bitter resinous. Picture them as equal sectors making up a pie chart, sticking to each other via the resin.....Chypre has two fundamental qualities: balance and abstraction."

In 31 Rue Cambon, Jacques Polge used a pepper-iris accord, as well as several varieties of patchouli undergrowth to create the chypre effect. It didn't create a lot of abstraction, but it's a good fragrance, and chypric enough for a modern chypre.

Some good suggestions above, although while Guerlain still uses oakoss (Derby, Sous le Vent, others), and newer Mitsouko still smells and wears like a chypre, it uses primarily tree moss to get there. The lack of oakmoss doesn't allow for as much complexity, and the fragrance isn't as strange and dynamic as it was. If it used to be something you'd smell in a freshly used opium pipe, now it's the same thing but the pipe has been scraped out a little. To get strong oakmoss from Mitsouko you have to get the vintage stuff, and preferably the edp/pdt. New Mitsouko (2005) is still a great fragrance, though. And I wouldn't recommend Derby/Sous le Vent for strong oakmoss either.

Generally, leather(y) chypres are the best place to smell oakmoss. Ted Lapidus pour Homme (1978) is probably the best oakmoss dominant fragrance ever made but it's basically gone. Others of various genres to add to what's already been mentioned: Great Jones, Or Black, Jules, Quorum, Poivre Samarcande, Halston Z-14, and even Eau Sauvage, although I haven't smelled the latest version. The older versions contained massive amounts of oakmoss. So much so that at times that's just about all I can smell in it. The previously mentioned Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme and Polo both contain good amounts of oakmoss. Drakkar Noir does, too, but I don't think you need it. I don't care for the fragrance, but after two hours or so, Oxford & Cambridge can smell almost like pure oakmoss. Something like Rive Gauche pour Homme also contains a lot of oakmoss and it can put out good strong mossy note There are many others. Vintage stuff usually contains more oakmoss, but that's certainly not always the case.

And for clarity: fougeres often contain a lot of oakmoss. Fougere is a genre based on lavender, coumarin (tobacco/hay), and oakmoss.
    Last edited by pluran; 11th July 2010 at 05:22 AM.

Eucris by GF Trumper is a heavenly moss bomb.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    Eucris by GF Trumper is a heavenly moss bomb.
    I totally agree!! Eucris is almost ALL oakmoss.

Giorgio for Men by Giogio Beverly Hills

Hillaire

I get the most Oakmoss from Y by YSL

For a dark, earthy and pleasing oakmoss, check out
    Muschio di Quercia / Oak Moss by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo.

For a lovely green fougere, try
    Geo F. Trumper's Wild Fern
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Armani Pour Homme is complex, but pretty oakmossy.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Blog Entries

Here is another vote for Mitsouko. None of you expected that, right?

What! another Mitsouko!? Where'd that come from?
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Basenotes Plus

Good thread! I get my oakmoss fix from vintage Mitsouko, Grey Flannel and Eau de Rochas pour Homme.

I get mine from Nimitz

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I am getting a huge oakmoss drydown from a recently purchased bottle of Nobile Royalty by Alexander de Costa. It has a very interesting Havana-type opening and as has been discussed on another thread along with a Gucci Nobile-type impression in middle notes and drydown. Very impressive for such an inexpensive offering. I paid under $15/3.4 oz NIB shipped USA with a $5 off online coupon.
    Last edited by kbe; 11th July 2010 at 01:46 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I think French Lover/Bois d'Orage is the most directly nose-in-the-dirt-and-moss scent I've experienced. Maybe not OAKmoss, but the feeling is there. Also, Neil Morris Earthtones #1: Dark Earth. I guess I sort of place "earth/dirt" and "moss" in the same category.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 11th July 2010 at 08:12 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."