Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances of Comme des Garcons

What is your favorite fragrance from the House of Comme des Garcons ? What do you like about this particular fragrance?

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Fragrances of Comme des Garcons

Avignon - I love incense fragrances, and to me this is the ultimate one.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Kyoto.

I bought it when it came out as I liked what they were doing with their clothes at the time and I used to go temple hopping in Kyoto in the 80s and bought a lot of traditional Japanese incense whenever I visted so it was a no-brainer to buy this just for the hell of it. It does evoke the place and mood for me and I think it stands up as a classic in the genre today, (as does Avignon of course, which just doesn't come with the same particular set of personal associations).
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 11th July 2010 at 04:23 AM.

All the ones that make up the incense line have poor logevity--Ouarzazat (sp?) being the most fleeting. They all smell good and they paved the way for Gucci PH. CdG 2 PH is a better rendition of the bonfire smoke/incense concept than Gucci's PH. Some CdG frags are overrated and some are well worth the hype. There is no bad CdG--even the least good is somehow unique.
    Last edited by Killer_Vavoom; 11th July 2010 at 07:49 AM.

Luxe: Champaca

There is something pure and innocent about this fragrance, yet it's not lacking complexity. It's a little sunlit world all by itself, initially slightly peppery bright quality blooming into a gorgeous narcissus fragrance with a certain creamy depth to it.

It's not like any other fragrance from CdG, and in fact it's quite removed from the "house style" of synthetic eccentricity and woody incense.

Love CdG 2 Man - bright lemony aldehydes, smells masculine, but doesn't bow down to traditional masculine notes. Odeur 71 - takes an overdose of hedione and turns it into a slightly sweaty, yet clean, perfection.

Blog Entries

Ouarzazte is a truly unique incense scent with interesting spices in it in addition to the standard woods and smoke.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Comme des Garcons Parfum: strong and spicy
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Last edited by Descartes; 24th January 2012 at 01:36 PM.

Odeur 53 and 71. Calamus doesn't get the attention it deserves anymore, so I'll mention that as well. And Rhubarb, and Kyoto, Tar and...

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Comme des Garcons Parfum: strong and spicy
    This. A very powerful perfume.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I still have a bottle of Parfum from when it was released. I have a kind of love/hate relationship to this one and don't think I will ever finish it...

Avignon!!
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

Lately my favoirite is Jaisalmer. It is incensey but has patchouli component in the base that keeps it dry and cool through the end. Love Avignon too but only wear it in the fall and cooler weather. I also still enjoy Soda quite a bit.

My favorite so far is Artek: Standard. It's the most outrageous plastic/woodsy fragrance I've tried. Crazy, but I couldn't stop sniffing myself.

I havent tried many such as Artek Standard, Steven jones, etc. By my favs are Hinoki and Kyoto. Honestly, I love all CDG fragrances. In my opinion, they don't make a bad one.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

No mention of CdG 2? My most favorite!
    The sumi ink note if crazy unique. This I consider one of my most precious fragrances.
    I also love and own CdG 2 MAN, Vettiveru, and Jaisalmer.
    Killer_Vavoom said it right, "There is no bad CdG--even the least good is somehow unique."
    Try as many as you can. This is one of the very few houses left that I totally respect (even if I don't like everything from them) because they are [mostly] not a sell out and are innovative and diverse. One of the things I'm thankful for after discovering Basenotes (+ MPG and Montale!).

I own and love Vettiveru, Artek/Standard, and Kyoto.

It is my favorite house also. If I was collecting fragrances, I would easily own every offering they have.

Artek/Standard is constantly battling with Montale - Red Vetyver and Bois Blonds - Atelier Cologne to be the favorite fragrance I own. It is very enigmatic, diffusive, poetic, and doesn't smell like 'men's cologne'. It is abstraction in a beautiful way and nobody does it better than Comme des Garcons.

Add me to the Avignon list , the truest incense fragrance I have ! Wonderful
    Odeur 53 Strange , unusual and unique , but very wearable ! Never found anything else like it !

Luv Zagorsk - a real interesting concept of Orthodox church incense smell. Cold, somber and austere, does smell Russian in a strange way.

I love Rhubarb and Cinnamon from the Shebet Series. I get the solid parfum and apply, then spray on the edt to help the longevity. Still not great, but they smell so good!

MORE.

Vettiveru
    Monocle Scent One: Hinoki
    Jaisalmer Series 3 Incense
    Avignon Series 3 Incense
    Kyoto Series 3 Incense
    Sequoia Series 2 Red
    Harissa Series 2 Red
    CdG 2 Man
    CdG 2
    Wonderwood

LESS

monocle scent two laurel
    Comme des Garçons 3
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Too many to mention. Let's put it like this: there are only four scents in their range that I find forgettable and these are...Laurel (which is sort of a crude version of French Lover), 8.88 (hate this one), Dover Street Market (generic, kinda safe) and Wonderwood (which is just nice).

The rest of their offering ranges from very nice to fantastic.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I tried Ouarzazate and thought it smelled quite interesting.

Hinoki followed by Vettiveru.
    If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart? -Alexander Solzhenitsyn, novelist, Nobel laureate

Wanting to try:

Fougère Bengale, Cafe Noir

Wanting to buy:

Yohji Homme EDT

Is Skai worth a blind buy?

Basenotes Member

Wonderwood is my new love

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

My favorite is cdg 2 man. Smokiness and melting candlewax. Cdg is a great house but their frags are not always very wearable. 2man is eminently wearable.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

CdG is about artistic statements. In that sense, many of their offerings are very fine and extraordinary. I've tried about a dozen or so, and only 2man was something I could wear as an everyday thing. Avignon was beautiful but there just weren't enough occasions to actually wear it. Seqouia was another beautiful one; it was a little more wearable, but again I went to my bottle only occasionally. So that is why 2 man is my favorite, because I am less interested in collecting everything that smells good or interesting than I am in owning useful things I will use often. IMO.

i love CDG! i'm not in a position to buy most of them right now, but if i could i'd have:

Sequoia - this comes out smelling like a really clean spicy floral on me. i wish the woods popped a little more on my skin.

CDG 2 - what an incredibly unique smell. it's so unique that it's truly unisex. who'd of thunk ink and magnolia was so beautiful?

Wonderwood - i know this one didn't get as warm as a reception as people were hyping it up to be, but this one still really gets me. a lot of times, i think CDG stuff gets points for being unique and abstract and for putting out so many renditions of wood, but i think the execution sometimes isn't as top notch as it should be i.e. they wear too close to the skin or lasting power is lacking.

however, the first time i smelled Wonderwood, i was really surprised by its complexity. i love its dry, peppery beginning which gradually mellows out into a really nice bright, aromatic, sandalwood. it goes through 3 very distinct phases on me, while most of the other CDG offerings are very linear on my skin. yes, the middle and end of Wonderwood aren't terribly unique to the more seasoned collectors, but i love that each phase develops so gracefully - like its growing and developing with you through the different parts of the day. it just feel very rounded and full, almost too rich, which you don't normally associate with CDG.

Nomad Tea
    Wonderwood
    Comme Des Garcon Parfum
    Avignon
    Hinoki
    etc...

That house is a very, very, very fine house.
    I am

Luxe Patchouli : One of my all-time favorite patchoulis, in an intriguing mix with immortelle. Excellent quality, extremely powerful, but, unfortunately, also outrageously expensive.
    Vettiveru: Really good citrusy vetiver scent, good for all occasions, laid-back, enjoyable - and downright cheap!
    Odeur 53: My first CdG and my first niche frag - cool, strange, comfortable, mysterious, and still one of the scents I wear most often.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I still have a bottle of Parfum from when it was released. I have a kind of love/hate relationship to this one and don't think I will ever finish it...
    Same here. One wearing can be magical, then the next, I can find myself getting choked by it. I occasionally go through strings of days where I love it and then never want to see it again. ( Kouros is another that induces this response in me. )

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Is Skai worth a blind buy?
    Risky. I have it; very interesting a lot like the smell of a new paddling pool. The drydown is plastic mixed with woods

Avignon - fantastic smell, Ouarzazate because of spices and Wonderwood because of the concept...
    http://bleauog.blogspot.com/ - my blog

Wonderful fragrances....but favorite is *White*. Seems to be more difficult to to get than others which means off to Comme Des Garcons where the staff are just wonderful.
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

I've only tried a few and was ambivalent. None I hated, but none I really liked either.

Blog Entries

I haven't smelled all but from what I have tried....Sequoia
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

Of the ones I've tried - I am yet to fine one I really like. They are just ok in my opinion. That being said I haven't smelt the incense series and I love incense.

I recently acquired Zagorsk and I think it has knocked Avignon off the top spot. A forest pine combined with two of my favourite notes, incense and vetiver. It also avoids the pine pitfall of smelling like toilet cleaner.

I really Love Odeur 53 & 71.....CdG 2 EdP and CdG 2 Man are fantastic!!! CdG White and 3 are wonderful.....KYOTO is my Favorite for sure!!!
    Gary

Sequoia Series 2 Red

Solemn Purity. It's nearly austere wood. It's a chord on wood.

Avignon is second because of 1.) the lack of trigger control with the CdG bottles; it is a powerful frag and easy to over apply. 2.) It sours a bit in the heat. 3.) I fear the results of associations many folks have with frankincense -- it may seem "out of place" with the scent emanating from the wearer, it may conjure up very bad or painful memories, it may contribute to assumptions or questions about the wearer's religious beliefs (i.e. is this person Orthodox, Catholic, or a Black Magickician?)