Code of Conduct

Default Recs for DRY non-niche fragrances, please. Something like French Lover, greenish, mossy etc.

Hi,

I'd like some recs for dry fragrances. Tried French Lover but wanted something at a better price point since I'm not 100% sure about it - same goes for Noir Epices. Some recs that some close to these too would be great.
    Green, mossy, angelica, patchouli - all good. What I don't want is an overly fougere type scent. There's got to be something in it that makes the fougere less relentless if I'm to wear it.
    Scents I can handle: most Tom Fords, most Lutens, Eau de Campagne, Cuir D'Arabie (in fact most leathers & aouds), Antaeus, Lauder's Azuree, Knize 10, Cuiron HL, Vetiver Extraordinaire + most vetivers, most Guerlains (pour homme) -- I own too many scents to name them all.
    A bit harder for me: Michael Kors for men, Fahrenheit, aquatics and possibly Kouros, Iquitis by Delon is too harsh. Don't care for Creeds and Bonds, in general.

I enjoyed Portrait of a Lady too, mainly the dry feel.
    Herbs good, but too much fougere is not. Vanilla - not interested, have too many vanilla 'fluffy' scents. Hoped that Le Labo Patchouli 24 would be more dry and tar-like on me, but it was all sugar and vanilla. Big fan of tar. Looking for a greener LLabo mixed with Cuir d'Arabie, maybe? Just throwing the idea out there, I'm happy for recs that don't go down that road.

I'll take niche recs if they're not too expensive, but mid to high-end would be better.

Thanks.
    Le Mentaliste Magnifique

Default Re: Recs for DRY non-niche fragrances, please. Something like French Lover, greenish, mossy etc.

Lem by Galimard

Default Re: Recs for DRY non-niche fragrances, please. Something like French Lover, greenish, mossy etc.

Gucci I PH is VERY dry
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

I get the general idea but I'm a bit confused. Do you want a dry mossy fougere/green chypre or spices or just anything dry or something else? :?

Try Perles de Lalique. Dry rosy peppery chypre.

Saripatates:
    Sorry about the confusion. There is a quality that strong fougeres have that I can't quite get to grips with. But I like dry, mossy, chypres - spices are fine so is 'green', rose is fine. I can't, off the top of my head, think of obvious fougeres that I can't wear, but I know it when I smell it (not very clear, sorry!). I can handle chypre or green scents like Mitsouko, Balmain de Balmain etc. -- even Tumulte PH (which is very dry and woody not green). Maybe the confusion is in 'green' - I can wear green but there is a type of green scent that I see as very 'fougere' that I can't do. Women's green and dry scents rarely have this quality, if that clarifies it a little. So any recs along these (rather vague) lines would be greatly appreciated. I can research further and sample on recs. Thanks.
    Le Mentaliste Magnifique

Well, if you don't already have it go for comme des garçons eau de parfum. it can be had below current designer frags so I think it applies. A massive concoction of spices and oils, and very dry.

Some other things your posts remind me of

l'occitane eau des baux
    azzaro visit
    gucci ph I
    givenchy xeryus
    montana parfum d'homme
    oscar pour lui
    esencia loewe
    zirh ikon

I'm also interested in this thread...

One of my favorite "dry" non-niche fragrances is Cacharel pour L'Homme (1981). That stuff is lovely. For a dry floral, check out Givenchy Insense.
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 19th February 2011 at 11:59 PM.

Sounds like a job for Yatagan to me...have you tried it?
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Corduroy is dry, well blended and quite cheapo.

Halston Z-14, a cheapo here in the US, satisties the requirements of price and dryness (though I didn't understand what it is exactly that you don't like). Pino silvestre is also green and dry, but fresher.

In niche territory, probably beyond the price point, Bandit, as well as Futur, both by Piguet. And the driest leather, Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange (all of the above around $90 for 50ml).

cacio
    cacio

Polo Double Black is very dry.

Thanks for the recs, will look into them.
    Le Mentaliste Magnifique