Code of Conduct

Default I want to buy my first Creed, help me out a bit...

I want something manly but not to mature (i'm 26) - I smelled Green Irish Tweed and wasn't a fan.

I like the spicey notes of Terre d'Hermess if that helps at all...

I also like the zestyness of CK Euphoria (I know, I know.. don't hate on me please lol)

Any Creed frag's that are warm, woody with some spicey zest?

(edit) - I should also say I'm a fan of orientals. I want something with a not too sweet warm woody base and a spicy & fresh top....
    Last edited by md1grwl; 11th July 2010 at 04:31 AM.

Default Re: I want to buy my first Creed, help me out a bit...

Original Santal can be described as both fresh and spicy. It has an incredible cinnamon note in it that is almost piercing yet very alluring.

Do you want a Creed so that you can tell people you are wearing a Creed? I wore Euphoria the other day and enjoyed it, but that's about as woody as I can tolerate these days. I stick with what I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Do you want a Creed so that you can tell people you are wearing a Creed? I wore Euphoria the other day and enjoyed it, but that's about as woody as I can tolerate these days. I stick with what I enjoy.
    No, I can just percieve the quality of Creed. I have Aventus on my rist right now and you can just tell "this is quality". I actually like Aventus a lot... I just wish it wasn't so fruity smelling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MdGrwl View Post
    No, I can just percieve the quality of Creed. I have Aventus on my rist right now and you can just tell "this is quality". I actually like Aventus a lot... I just wish it wasn't so fruity smelling.
    Try:
    - Amouage
    - Frederic Malle
    - Serge Lutens
    - Montale
    .... and many others

before you say Creed is "quality".

Yes, there's a certain amount of quality in Creed frags, But its not top notch considering the price. However, some of their frags composition are pretty gud (Royal Water, SMW, MI).
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Post Thanks / Like

Creed does not have any great Orientals, weird now that I think of it (at least not to my knowledge)
    You should try, however, Windsor and Bois de Portugal
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I place Acteur right up there with niche frags, though I like Acteur a lot more than any of the niche I've tried. And nothing I've tried of Creed (around 10) is anywhere close to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tom Ford has tons of orientals! My favorites of his would have to be Tobacco Vanille and Tuscan Leather. I also suggest Grey Vetiver
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 11th July 2010 at 06:14 AM.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Creed does not have any great Orientals, weird now that I think of it (at least not to my knowledge)
    You should try, however, Windsor and Bois de Portugal
    Bois du Portugal is a woody oriental.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Bois du Portugal is a woody oriental.
    Yes, it is, and I love it. A good one to check out. However:

I want something manly but not to mature
    BdP is mature. I know...BN faux pas...but it is. So is Ambre Canelle. Other than Original Santal, which is very sweet, I can't think of a Creed oriental that isn't rather "mature." I too recommend looking at other niche houses.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 11th July 2010 at 06:42 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You're getting some good suggestions on other houses, so don't ignore those. I like Creeds, but I like those other houses just as much.

Creeds are all going to come off a bit more ornate - but they can be huge compliment-getters when worn right. I was not a big fan of GIT and the other popular millesimes (I'm a TdH guy, like you). HOWEVER, there are some Creeds you should check out if you like warm and woody...

Bois du Portugal - warm, woody, spicy, amber, classy
    Epicea - pine, balsamic, fresh, very "natural"
    Baie de Genievre - juniper berry, balsamic, very spicy and coniferous
    Santal Imperial - OK - it's EXTREMELY subtle, but it's nice, and has an awesome drydown
    Original Santal - SUPER-spicy - much more than a typical oriental

Also consider their citrus frags - they are AMAZINGLY good

Bois de Cedrat - basically a sweet lemon frag with a touch of wood that's almost not there - fleeting but awesome
    Neroli Sauvage - neroli that will knock people's socks off

..and several others

Windsor is an odd duck - very good, but it's still a male rose which comes off very, very proper.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

+1 Original Santal

I would also recommend you try Virgin Island Water, while it's not masculine, nor too spicy, it's a must try that you'll most likely fall in love with.
    Last edited by trapper; 11th July 2010 at 08:42 AM.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Yes, Original Santal

Post Thanks / Like

Warm, woody, spicey = Le Labo Rose 31

Not a Creed, but a damn good scent.

Does it need to be Creed? You're really limiting yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Creed Himalaya. (modern, woody, spicy, with a fresh clean top. Maby this is what you`r looking for)
    Creed Acier Aluminium. (masculine, unique, spicy and fruity. Maby too sweet for you)
    Creed Tabarome Millesime. (serious stuff.. Warm, deep, ginger tobacco with a fresh top. Extremely elegant)

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Why not sample a handful more Creed products as you have GIT? They ain't cheap so I would make sure before the purchase.
    Last edited by kbe; 11th July 2010 at 12:33 PM.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    Does it need to be Creed? You're really limiting yourself.
    no, it doesn't have to be a creed, not at all

I want something manly but not to mature (i'm 26)

I want something with a not too sweet warm woody base and a spicy & fresh top....

You are basically describing Creed Himalaya.

except that Himalaya opens up a little cold, but it warms up though the drydown.
    Last edited by TalkingMuffin; 11th July 2010 at 03:53 PM.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would probably suggest Bois du Portugal, but you might think it to be too mature.

As to Original Santal, it is quite sweet.

Get samples of anything first though!

Post Thanks / Like

Not entirely coresponding to your description... only partially... I'd highly suggest a fresh bottle of Original Vetiver. Your "non mature" (which I take to mean "young") fits O. V. particularly well. Freshness predominates, but it has also some understated depth.

I can empathize with your looking for a Creed in particular. No Amouage (except for Homage) that I sniffed can compare in class, in my humble opinion, and some of them actually smell oversweet and cloying. Lyric Man and Jubilation XXY in particular... I can see the "lyricism" in them (as in Noel Coward's "Extraordinary how potent cheap music is" crack), but the "man" is nowhere to be found (not in a narrow, macho understanding of perfumes... however, these really don't even smell unisex, forget male, people will look at you "what's the matter with this guy" and such). Dia and Ciel smell better to me, sample-worthy but that's all.

Lutens are nice compositions, but beware if you have allergies to strong chemical ingredients. I literally coughed for 11 or 12 hours after a sniff of Fleurs de Citronnier, for example.

For the little that's worth, I encourage you to go the Creed way, provided you find the Creed for you. I took many detours and I've always come home (-:

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, give Himalaya a try.

If you want something heavier and very woody, try Bois du Portugal.
    Looking for: Creed caps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    Not entirely coresponding to your description... only partially... I'd highly suggest a fresh bottle of Original Vetiver. Your "non mature" (which I take to mean "young") fits O. V. particularly well. Freshness predominates, but it has also some understated depth.

I can empathize with your looking for a Creed in particular. No Amouage (except for Homage) that I sniffed can compare in class, in my humble opinion, and some of them actually smell oversweet and cloying. Lyric Man and Jubilation XXY in particular... I can see the "lyricism" in them (as in Noel Coward's "Extraordinary how potent cheap music is" crack), but the "man" is nowhere to be found (not in a narrow, macho understanding of perfumes... however, these really don't even smell unisex, forget male, people will look at you "what's the matter with this guy" and such). Dia and Ciel smell better to me, sample-worthy but that's all.

Lutens are nice compositions, but beware if you have allergies to strong chemical ingredients. I literally coughed for 11 or 12 hours after a sniff of Fleurs de Citronnier, for example.

For the little that's worth, I encourage you to go the Creed way, provided you find the Creed for you. I took many detours and I've always come home (-:
    he he.. Funny to see how different sight we fragrance lovers have on the niche houses. You can`t be serious when you claim that there is nothing masculine aboute Jubilation xxv. And it must be something wrong with a guy wearing it?? It is undepatable masculine, and one of my most complimented fragrances ever!
    -I personaly will place most of the male scents from Amouage over Creed by a wide margin.
    I love Creed, and it`s my second favourite house, but the quality on Amouage is (IMO) purely and simply better.. In most situations I must spray 6-7 sprays with Creed to get some projecting and longevity. With Amouage it`s enough with 1-2 sprays, and it last all day long! Amouage also have more luxurious vibes than Creed. But both companies are great!
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 11th July 2010 at 07:52 PM.

^^^ i have both Jubilation and Lyric Man... and about 15 Creeds.

If you define "quality" by "concentration", then yes Amouage is better. But in my opinion its just too much sometimes. True, one spray of Amouage will last longer than 5 sprays of Creed, but that's doesn't make it higher quality. That means there are a ton more synthetic components in Amouage.

That, and Amouage frags smell like they crammed about 1,000 notes together into one insane power-frag.

It's the simplicity of Creed, its focus on nature-based scents, and yes, natural quality components... that put it above Amouage in terms of quality to me.

but to each his own...

Post Thanks / Like

Oslo, you're right, we're on subjective territory here! Thanks for your answer.

I'll also agree that Amouage uses quality ingredients. I am not up to bash the house. (Despite the fact that I have a very low opinion of their customer service, I am not revengeful by nature, as the skeletons in my closet could surely testify, if they could speak). I've actually considered seriously getting Homage, if not for the price. (I would get though Homage in the 3ml version, if it would be available anywhere. It is a really nice fragrance, it smells like very very expensive soap.)

About longevity... even if we disregard attars which are a different category altogether, probably Amouage wins on the average (not if we compare Bois du Portugal with Dia Man, though, to give some extreme example!), but longevity is not a main criterion with me.

By quality I like to refer more to the quality of the experience and of the "accord," rather than to its length. From this point of view, to my subjective nose Creed wins by a mile. (Well, the Creeds which I like, which is to say about half of them all, with a couple I adore.) The "rosy" Amouage Jubilation and Lyric for man border on the unpleasant side for me, in fact, and, while I appreciate Dia's superior subtlety, I could barely like it a bit, while not being attracted by it at all. About Gold: it doesn't only border on unpleasantness.

A great day to you.
    Last edited by Addict; 11th July 2010 at 08:32 PM.

OP here:

I'm totally confused now... lol. Perhaps I'll branch out to other houses
    Last edited by md1grwl; 11th July 2010 at 08:02 PM.

OP here:

I'm totally confused now... lol. Perhaps I'll branch out to other houses
    dude... try Creed Himalaya... seriously. it's a great "starter-Creed", satisfies your parameters, and will give you a good feel for the house.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps I'll branch out to other houses.

Not a bad idea. Getting acquainted too early with the Creed level of quality tends to spoil all your other experiences, so better delay the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

I notice TalkingMuffin and I gave relatively similar answers, same minute (7:56)

Now the question for gold:

Did anybody ever actually see TM and me at the same time and in the same room?

(-:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    ^^^ i have both Jubilation and Lyric Man... and about 15 Creeds.

If you define "quality" by "concentration", then yes Amouage is better. But in my opinion its just too much sometimes. True, one spray of Amouage will last longer than 5 sprays of Creed, but that's doesn't make it higher quality. That means there are a ton more synthetic components in Amouage.

That, and Amouage frags smell like they crammed about 1,000 notes together into one insane power-frag.

It's the simplicity of Creed, its focus on nature-based scents, and yes, natural quality components... that put it above Amouage in terms of quality to me.

but to each his own...
    ...a ton more synthetic components in Amouage.. -I`m impressed over your knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    dude... try Creed Himalaya... seriously. it's a great "starter-Creed", satisfies your parameters, and will give you a good feel for the house.
    agreed. I think Himalaya maby is exactly what you`r looking for. It`s great!

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    ...a ton more synthetic components in Amouage.. -I`m impressed over your knowledge.
    haha... it sure don't take a genius to recognize that fact!

Post Thanks / Like

Oslo, IF you know this Xerjoff brand at all... how does it compare to Amouage, how does it compare to Creed in your opinion? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    Oslo, IF you know this Xerjoff brand at all... how does it compare to Amouage, how does it compare to Creed in your opinion? Thanks.
    I have not tried eny of them.. At one point I just have to set a limit. My limit goes with the Amouage price-level! ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

OP- just go out and sniff some stuff or buy some samples. Muffin points you to Himalaya which sounds like what you're looking for. Keep poking around in here and reading reviews.

All the frags being discussed here are very high quality.

Addict: The Xerjoff scents are top notch for sure. But I wouldn't get into any debates with anyone about whether it's better quality than everybody else. That feels too much like debating which super hero could beat up other super heroes.

All being disussed here are first rate perfumers.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 11th July 2010 at 11:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

StylinLA, thanks.

I agree about not trying to establish objective truths or pushing them on anybody's throat.

However, I am not shy about thinking that the best of Creed is, to my taste, way more desirable than the Amouages I've tried. (I also accept some may feel differently or exactly the opposite.)

Once this subjectivity is being assumed, please feel free to comment on Xerjoff vs. Creed etc., not so much in terms of which beats the other, but regarding how they compare - iyo - in terms of perception, notes, ingredients, underlying identity etc. If you feel like it, of course. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Paco Rabanne XS. Himalaya with balls
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking to acquaint yourself with Creed, and you like Terre D'Hermes, listen to the majority of comments here that said to try Himalaya. The opening is citrus, all fresh and bracing. It then settles down to become spicy, heady and intoxicating. The notes: bergamot, grapefruit, lemon, sandalwood, amber, musk... but top notch ingredients!

I agree with Oslo, 100% .

There's no comparison between Creed and Amouage ( maybe in price ) and Like you Oslo, Creed's my second favorite house behind Amouage.

Post Thanks / Like

SAMPLE, SAMPLE, SAMPLE and then make your decision. I suggest you try these from Creed:

Baie de Genièvre
    Original Santal
    Santal Impérial
    - Expect the unexpected

Try Original Santal, but its not too mature.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by md1grwl View Post
    I want something manly but not to mature (i'm 26) - I smelled Green Irish Tweed and wasn't a fan.

I like the spicey notes of Terre d'Hermess if that helps at all...

I also like the zestyness of CK Euphoria (I know, I know.. don't hate on me please lol)

(edit) - I should also say I'm a fan of orientals. I want something with a not too sweet warm woody base and a spicy & fresh top....
    Creed MI
    Creed Bois de Cedrat
    Creed Erolfa

Post Thanks / Like

Non-niche, inexpensive, and exactly what you're looking for. Herrera by Carolina Herrera.

Test out Bois du Portugal, but to be honest try out the line if you do not like the scents that is fine you can look elsewhere. Sometimes a frag line is not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    i would also recommend you try virgin island water, while it's not masculine, nor too spicy, it's a must try that you'll most likely fall in love with.
    +1 bdp

Post Thanks / Like

Gents,
    The thread is over a year and a half years old. Md1grwl is at least 27 and maybe 28 by now. Has probably long ago made a decision and taken action on it. Probably made several decisions and actions since. Probably doesn't need advice for a first purchase from the house anymore.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.