View Poll Results: M7 or Dirty English

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • M7

98 82.35%
  • Dirty English

21 17.65%

Default M7 or Dirty English

I had samples of each one, I like both, but don't want to buy both. M7 is too smoky sometimes, but Dirty English doesn't project far enough far anyone else to smell it on me. Help!
    Last edited by seanjuan84; 12th July 2010 at 12:30 AM.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: M7 or Dirty English

IMO, M7 (vintage) is most definitely worth owning. I can't say the same for Dirty English.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 12th July 2010 at 01:39 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't know either very well SeanJuan but as a frequent reader and poster in here, clearly M7 has the much better rep and more respect.

Sample both some more, then decide.

M7 imo

Dirty English is somewhat similar to Gucci PH1, but not as good.

I find M7 to smell like a sauna (the scent of the wood without the sweaty people) with a little sweetness to it.
    I didnt get a chance to smell it on me but on paper thats how it smelled imo.

Btw

you can find dirty english in TJMaxx / Marshalls for really cheap...3.4oz for 20 i think
    Last edited by Kbar; 12th July 2010 at 01:53 AM.

M7 without a doubt!!!
    Gary

I actually voted for Dirty English. I have samples of Dirty English and a mini of M7. I haven't really even worn my Dirty English, but I do feel that M7 is gonna be a frag that should only be worn on rare occasions. It is definitely a cold weather scent, and even then, I see it as being a bit rough for daytime use.

Quote Originally Posted by seanjuan84 View Post
    Dirty English doesn't project far enough far anyone else to smell it on me.
    I thought this also, but apparently it does. I sprayed 8 on me and could hardly smell it and my wife said I was wearing to much. Even with 3 sprays my wife said she could still smell it 10 hrs later - I had thought it gone after the first hour. IMO this is an odd scent that some people can smell and others can't.

Basenotes Plus

M7 by a country mile.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 12th July 2010 at 07:14 AM.

M7 no doubt..

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    IMO, M7 (vintage) is most definitely worth owning. I can't say the same for Dirty English.
    +1 i totally agree

sample M7 Fresh, then make your decision between Fresh & OG M7.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    +1 i totally agree
    M7 go for it!

Haven't tried M7, but DE isn't my cup of tea. It's quite dry, and animalic.. has the body odor smell going on. Dirty Ewwglish

It really just depends on your taste. These aren't like two near-identical but differently priced colognes, like say, Creed's GIT or Bond No. 9's Chez Bond (or even GIT vs. Davidoff's Cool Water). These are two very differently priced and completely differently scented colognes. Whereas, like all YSL fragrances, M7 doesn't usually come cheap, Dirty English can be found cheap at many discount department stores or even pharmacies (granted in discount department stores the condition of the product can be extremely rough from being handled, sprayed, and sniffed by dozens of people, and in pharmacies, it's not as cheap.) Not to mention the sheer difference of scent - M7 is a fresh, eager-to-please (IMO) fragrance, Dirty English is a peppery, animalic, "dirty" fragrance - it's out for blood. It's not trying to make anyone happy, and it seems to even trick some people into thinking its fairly good staying power is poor. Really the only thing these two have in common is the wood, and the two types of woods are so different that's not even much in common.

When it all boils down, it's just what you like and what you're willing to pay for.

-D.
    Last edited by D.Sprad; 13th July 2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: typo.
    Body Kouros, Fahrenheit and other designer bottles for trade in My Swap Thread

M7 all the way!

M7!

obvious M7
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

Voted for M7.I didn't like Dirty English at all.

I'm really suprised that I'm the only one here that suggested Dirty English. M7 is certainly a quality frag, but as a possible signature scent? As for Dirty English, maybe it's not the next great thing, but at least it has some citrus to make it more suitable for summer. Maybe this whole exercise is like the age old question: A punch to the face, or a punch to the gut.

M7 Fresh. M7 is just too much for me. But if you like M7 buy it, its truly original.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    M7 is certainly a quality frag, but as a possible signature scent?
    I'm not sure if the OP is looking for a signature scent.

My most definitely.

M7 all the way..............................
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

M7 all the way...

have both, m7 by far.

M7 is terrific, albeit sometimes difficult to wear out of the house.

Can't speak to Dirty English.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

IMHO Dirty English is more wearable on a daily basis. It seems to me that while it is more "dirty", it also hase notes which give it almost universal likability. M7 on the other hand may not be loved by everyone, and may not be wearable every day, but will make you stand out a bit more. I own both, and have both in regular rotation, but find myself reaching for M7 quite a bit more, as it has a certain addictive quality that DE does not have. Good luck choosing, b/c these are both good frags.

DeepSilence

M7 by YSL

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

M7 is grossly overrated.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    M7 is grossly overrated.
    Nooooouuuupe.
    M7 all the way.
    Smellin good

M7 all the way, no contest here!

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

IT's FREAKING ROBITUSSIN!!!

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

DeepSilence

M7 is grossly overrated.
    I agree.

1) I think because just YSL has made it...
    2) It's easy to wear for everyone.
    1+2 = becoming famous

M7 all the way for me, it's one of the few fragrances I find lifts my mood. It's not great in hot weather though.
    Dirty English is great too and on my shopping list, it's probably easier to wear more often.

bro. coming as basenotes and asking between m7 and dirty english is like going to a gourmet restaurant and asking between easy mac and filet mignon

I didn't like M7 at first, but now it's one of my favorite. Top 5 on my list on the fragrances that I own...

Kind of like that cute girl who had those thick geeky nerdy glasses on. Take off those glasses, and bammm! she's Jessica Alba...what a babe...

Yes... M7!
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

M7 without hesitation.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

M7. If you're quite young still, Dirty English, possibly. Something about it reminds me of Eternity for Men and makes it very teenager for me.

Cool Re: M7 or Dirty English

Quote Originally Posted by D.Sprad View Post
    It really just depends on your taste. These aren't like two near-identical but differently priced colognes, like say, Creed's GIT or Bond No. 9's Chez Bond (or even GIT vs. Davidoff's Cool Water). These are two very differently priced and completely differently scented colognes. Whereas, like all YSL fragrances, M7 doesn't usually come cheap, Dirty English can be found cheap at many discount department stores or even pharmacies (granted in discount department stores the condition of the product can be extremely rough from being handled, sprayed, and sniffed by dozens of people, and in pharmacies, it's not as cheap.) Not to mention the sheer difference of scent - M7 is a fresh, eager-to-please (IMO) fragrance, Dirty English is a peppery, animalic, "dirty" fragrance - it's out for blood. It's not trying to make anyone happy, and it seems to even trick some people into thinking its fairly good staying power is poor. Really the only thing these two have in common is the wood, and the two types of woods are so different that's not even much in common.

When it all boils down, it's just what you like and what you're willing to pay for.

-D.
    I respectfully disagree. I have M7 and Dirty English right here next to GIT and Cool Water.
    M7 doesn't smell like GIT or CW, but it smells as much like DE as GIT smells like CW. GIT and CW have some similarities, but the refined luxuriousness of GIT is the most noticeable character that puts it in a league above CW. It a great analogy and comparison because the same refined luxuriousness of M7 is what puts it in a league above Dirty English. If M7 was as inexpensive as DE I would wear M7 more often. I think M7 and Dirty English are close enough to each other to be worn on 75% of the same occasions. Most Basenote members will be able to distinguish the difference, but I bet less than 50% of the general public would not distinguish the difference if the two frags were not sampled side by side. I wear the Dirty English much more often than the M7. I reserve the M7 for more special occasions. DE is a bit more versatile. DE is still a night clubbing type sent, but it's more like using your regular Corelle china wear as opposed to pulling out the vintage Chinz or whatever. With all that being said, I don't wear either one of them often enough to replace either one of them when the bottles are empty. Even at $20 for the DE, I don't think it's fragrance money well spent. Find some vintage Old Spice. You get a lot more use out of it and believe it or not, a lot more compliments.

M7 hands down by light years

M7 in a 1-Horse Race...

This is like comparing Halle Berry to Whoopi Goldberg... M7 is Halle Berry....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Dependent

I don't see these 2 frags as related at all, not sure why the poll

Gold or iron...?

Post edited below.
    Last edited by Redolent; 28th April 2012 at 11:55 PM.

I'm still trying to find my love for Dirty English... whereas M7 wasn't too much trouble. :-)

Gold vs Iron. I'll go with that analogy. Forget about the current monetary value of gold and iron.
    Gold has very good electrical conduction properties and a few other useful character traits, but people find a lot more used for Iron than Gold. In our life time we will use Iron much more often than gold. Even when a dentist places a Gold filing in a patients mouth, the dentist uses many tools that have at least some Iron in them. Some of the dentists electrical equipment might have some Gold plated connections, but there will be a lot more use of Iron than Gold, even in a dentists office.
    Point is, which fragrance will the original poster wear most often. Many will wear M7 more often than DE, but I think DE is a bit more versatile than M7. It's an old poll and post, buy I think the original poster might end up wearing DE more often than M7. I do.
    If I had to choose one of the two to wear to a Basenotes party, I would probably go with the M7. If I'm just going bar hopping, I would probably wear the DE.

I hate M7. I personally prefer DE, although it doesn't blow my mind either.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I like Dirty English but I LOVE M7

M7 is higher quality by far. This is reflected in the price difference, you pick up Dirty English for $25 off amazon

Basenotes Plus

Strong +1!

If this is a matter of simple olfactory quality & pleasure - M7 is very, very good (Vintage, that is) for the genre.

However, if you want something in the genre for cheap (and budget is an issue)...Dirty English. Personally, I think owning both is the right answer because you can apply Dirty English liberally (and reapply for more power/projection/longevity) and not worry about wearing out a 100ml bottle. M7 is something to wear a lot more lightly (because it is so strong) and for special occasion - a very intimate scent.

Oud is very strong in M7, but I find it to be a background note in Dirty English as well...

It's more of a difference between level of quality, not which is "better". That is rhetorical.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by kimo View Post
    M7 is higher quality by far. This is reflected in the price difference, you pick up Dirty English for $25 off amazon
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

M7, because there is no better alternative for that specific style of scent.

DE is bettered by both Yatagan and Idole de Lubin, each which it shares some similarities with.

To my nose, Dirty English doesn't even remotely smell like a 'fragrance'. It's more of a conceptual scent.. an exercise in woods... One I don't particularly care for... M7 on the other hand is alluring, seductive, warm, sexy even. No comparison IMO.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

M7 is grossly overrated.
    Dirty English is grossly gross.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

This isn't a fair fight. M7 is a heavyweight and Dirty English is a lightweight. Both are great but I have to go with M7 b/c of longevity and projection.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Banned

M7.