Code of Conduct

Default Gorilla perfumes(Lush) Tuca Tuca scent.

I tried TucaTuca in Lush today and was not over-impressed!
    This is by Never Be To Busy To Be Beautiful's Simon
    Constantine and all I can say is he must have been having a bad day!
    It is a heavy-handed wallop of Violet and Cassie, which has huge sillage and
    shows no progression at all. It's too hippy-dippy for my taste and would be better
    suited to the winter than in the heat of our English summer.
    Anyone else tried this yet? Feel free to contradict me.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Default Re: Gorilla perfumes(Lush) Tuca Tuca scent.

I tried it weeks ago and actually bought the small 10ml size.
    Have to say I did like it, having bought it. I got a soft pretty violet fragrance, infact not big sillage on me at all. The violet was not overly sweet as in some others, some violets are so sweet I can feel my teeth start to ache at the thought.

I never got to try the Never B range but did buy the older Cosmetics to Go fragrances. Tuca Tuca is very much in their style.

Was surprised to get compliments wearing the Tuca Tuca which I never get from SL,Creed,Guerlain, Malle or MPG.
    DONNA

I keep seeing Luca Turin in the title of this thread!!??
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

And I keep humming the Tuca Tuca song :/

It's certainly on my radar, I do so love violet, especially with naughty vetivert bottoms!
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Red face Re: Gorilla perfumes(Lush) Tuca Tuca scent.

Smells like a really good Head shop....... Was covered in this by an over enthusiastic assistant in Lush and spent the rest of the day very conscious of it! Although I was not impressed I do not dislike it.

Eleanore

Alhough Fredric Malle is my favourate house; I would have to say that MUSC RAVAGEUR is a gorilla scent. It seems to put me in mind of a savage neanderthal with lots of hair on his chest.

I think you may have misunderstood my post title! Gorilla Perfumes
    make Tuca Tuca - I didn't mean it was a gorilla-type scent!
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Blog Entries

He he to Eleanore's gorilla moment!

With no offense intended to Nuka or any of BN's good friends at Lush, their scents make more sense to me as soaps or bath bombs than proper perfumes (in fact, most aren't sold as proper perfumes here in the USA). I have a soft spot for Go Green and have a mini perfume solid of it, but it's pretty simplistic - the topnotes are great but it doesn't really go anywhere. And I have to to be a little bitchy and say that Karma is one of the most unpleasant and relentless odors I've ever smelled.

I was really hoping B Never would make it's way here so I could experience the Lush ethos (which I love) expressed in proper perfumery, but alas....

(Also, I totally would have bought something that Nuka designed, just because of the BN connection!)
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Way back when Cosmetics To Go were still going they did some perfumes like Tuca Tuca, but others which I think must be like the Never B range. Ginger was a fabulous hit powerhouse in the vein of say Opuim or Posion. Elemental which I still own was not hippy earth mother but in the mode of Jil original by Jil Sander. Twenty Nine and a Half the name of the shop in Poole Dorest was a lovely rich floriental. Himalaya a soft clean musk.

Another one which I am sorry I cannot remember the name had notes of coco not sweet chocolate but the dark powder.

These came out at the end days of Cosmetics To Go before they went under in the recession in the 90s.

Lush should release these again, they have brought some soaps back into the Lush range.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    He he to Eleanore's gorilla moment!

With no offense intended to Nuka or any of BN's good friends at Lush, their scents make more sense to me as soaps or bath bombs than proper perfumes (in fact, most aren't sold as proper perfumes here in the USA). I have a soft spot for Go Green and have a mini perfume solid of it, but it's pretty simplistic - the topnotes are great but it doesn't really go anywhere. And I have to to be a little bitchy and say that Karma is one of the most unpleasant and relentless odors I've ever smelled.

I was really hoping B Never would make it's way here so I could experience the Lush ethos (which I love) expressed in proper perfumery, but alas....

(Also, I totally would have bought something that Nuka designed, just because of the BN connection!)
    LOL! Don't worry - many of Mark and Simon's perfumes cause a love-or-hate reaction! There was one compounder who'd nicknamed Breath of God to Breath of Dog. I, on the other hand, couldn't get enough of it from the moment it hit my skin. It's my favourite scent from the B Never line, after which it's a tie between B Scent, 1000 Kisses Deep and Dear John. I find Superworldunknown too sweet for my skin (I turn scents really sweet) and Vanillary goes super syrupy too.

From the new line-up, I was really surprised to find that I loved Lust - a really heavy hitting jasmine and ylang scent in the style of A La Nuit by Lutens. I don't like A La Nuit, but I was rather baffled to find Lust suits my skin perfectly. I do need to wait 2 hours for that to happen though, as the scent is in at 20% in alcohol (some companies sell their extraits at that concentration), so when you spray from a bottle it's a bit much at first!

Incidentally, I have never really worn Karma as a perfume, but I love the soap a lot. It leaves a great scent on your skin for hours afterwards. It seems completely unisex to me too, which probably explains why it's so popular worldwide.

When you said above that you're sad that you never got to experience "the Lush ethos expressed in proper perfumery", I had to show that sentence to a colleague because it exactly summarised what we're up to with the whole 'Gorilla Perfume' concept. That's it - exactly.

I think the Tuca Tuca might confuse people because it's a VERY 'Lush-style' scent in the Karma/Vanillary kind of sense; it started its life as a massage bar fragrance...

The rest of the new fragrances are much more 'perfume-y' in the best possible sense. They are much, much stronger than what you'd get at the department store and they have a certain hippie edge to the stories and inspirations, but actually I think in style they are somewhat related to Lutens, (old) Guerlain and Neil Morris.

Imogen Rose – Inspired by Simon’s daughter, Imogen Rose is an exquisite rose perfume with dry vetivert notes and a powdery amber accord.

Orange Blossom - Fresh orange blossom and neroli perfume, with honeyed and woody notes, that smells like a distilled Mediterranean moment.

Lust – Carnal and sexy jasmine with an indolic character, floral notes and a soft, woody base.

Tuca Tuca – Feminine and flirty violet perfume with violet leaf, cassie and vanilla to evoke memories of that first intoxicating crush.

The Smell of Weather Turning – The perfume that captures a thunderstorm in reverse, with a fresh scent of rain on grass that develops a dark, smoky character and back into a smell of sweet hay.

The Smell of Freedom - Opens with a fresh, herbal accord and reveals its complex, spicy and woody nature as it warms on your skin. It's a masterpiece of profound complexity and beauty.

Dirty - Re-vamped from Be Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful, this sexy and clean fragrance is available in a whole range of grooming products, all of which share a matching accord with the finished perfume.
    It's a whole new way of layering perfume without clashing product scents.
    Almost all of the B perfumes will also be coming back, so you'll be able to sniff those at some point too. I think this new work is better than what they did for B. I was completely speechless when I smelled the woody accord that went into The Smell of Freedom (yes, the names are still terrible - don't let that put you off! ). It's a blend of sandalwood, oudh and orris, among other things.

I'm also anxious to hear what Ody, our pine-obsessed perfumista will think of Dear John, as that's an unexpected mixture of coffee, lime and pine!

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Way back when Cosmetics To Go were still going they did some perfumes like Tuca Tuca, but others which I think must be like the Never B range. Ginger was a fabulous hit powerhouse in the vein of say Opuim or Posion. Elemental which I still own was not hippy earth mother but in the mode of Jil original by Jil Sander. Twenty Nine and a Half the name of the shop in Poole Dorest was a lovely rich floriental. Himalaya a soft clean musk.

Another one which I am sorry I cannot remember the name had notes of coco not sweet chocolate but the dark powder.

These came out at the end days of Cosmetics To Go before they went under in the recession in the 90s.

Lush should release these again, they have brought some soaps back into the Lush range.
    I never got to smell Himalaya

We're bringing Ginger, Icon and Flower Market back as part of GP.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    The rest of the new fragrances are much more 'perfume-y' in the best possible sense. They are much, much stronger than what you'd get at the department store and they have a certain hippie edge to the stories and inspirations, but actually I think in style they are somewhat related to Lutens, (old) Guerlain and Neil Morris.
    That sounds like fun, as does the lime/coffee/pine one.

I'm out of the loop, being a halfway around the world - are these sold at the Lush stores? Or do they have wider distribution? Will they be leaving the UK or does that really depend on how the market reacts?
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Hey rogalal, in another thread, Nukapai wrote...
    Thank you for the well-wishes! The whole range will be available to buy from mid-July at the Gorilla Perfume website and we ship internationally & sell samples to try, so maybe the frags will reach more people than they ever could have with B.
    Looks like the beginning of the website sales has since been pushed back a month or more...
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

We're launching the website after the gallery now, yes It would have been weird to buy the scents before the launch

There are 8 scents launched into Lush stores worldwide (starting with UK this August; the others will follow later). The whole range, including several B fragrances will be at gorillaperfume.com and will ship internationally.

Hi Pia, I was wondering: are there any of the new to be released scents you've been personally involved in making?
    I saw a video of a new ballistic in a grapefruit scent (I think it is called dragon ball?) and that reminded me of your grapefruit x-mas scent you wrote about in your blog

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    Hi Pia, I was wondering: are there any of the new to be released scents you've been personally involved in making?
    I saw a video of a new ballistic in a grapefruit scent (I think it is called dragon ball?) and that reminded me of your grapefruit x-mas scent you wrote about in your blog
    Not yet... Maybe one day I'll be in that extremely fortunate position! I think it's really appropriate for Mark and Simon's work to be strongly highlighted through this new project. I'm learning so much from them!

There are a few Lush products in the shops now with some of my work in them; nothing huge - just little tweaks to existing formulas or new bases for Simon to work with, that kind of thing. That was tough enough as a newbie perfumer! It's pretty difficult to get the result you're aiming for.

I do have one fine fragrance that I've been working on for a few months now. Both Mark and Si liked it, but it's not ready yet. Mark called it a 'very Finnish fragrance - it radiates warmth all around it from a central point'. I thought that was interesting! Who knows, maybe one day, eh?

That's great news, Pia, your fragrance sounds very interesting Keep up the good work!
    Customized consultancy on olfactory branding, design & research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

I love cocktail and adore most jasmine perfumes so I am getting a Lust bottle.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I'm intrigued!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

The London Beauty Queen had mixed feelings about the event itself (because she got invited on the Lush forumite/insider night instead of the press night and was shocked by the lack of explanations and press kits; quite understandably!), but she has nice things to say about the scents themselves.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    I never got to smell Himalaya

We're bringing Ginger, Icon and Flower Market back as part of GP.
    I remember Himalaya, it was a nice musk scent with something very indolic in it. l used to buy Ginger for my mother, because my dad loves ginger!! Woohoo, l love Flower Market! l first tried the soap years ago, (please bring that back!) & got a bottle of the scent from the Lush "Retro" range, it's my favourite rainy-day frag.
    l found Tuca Tuca to be a very peppery violet scent, reminiscent of a head shop, in a good way, & very much in the style of Lush's ballistic scents. l liked it, but l loved Lust & Vanillary more, & bought them on the spot!
    l'm intrigued to try The Smell of Weather Turning, WHY is it only available online??
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

It's interesting that you say "head shop," teardrop. I tried Tuca Tuca in a store and my first thought was: "This is the head shop version of Le Dix!"