Code of Conduct

Question Summer night in a tropical metropolis

I live in Saigon. It is very hot and very humid all year, and doesn't get cooler than about 75F at night.

I've primarily been wearing Live Jazz for about 3 years. However, I'm getting a little bored with it, and I don't think it's sensual or exotic enough for a night out in a city like Saigon.

So I'm looking for something sensual, masculine, classy, and appropriate for a hot tropical night. I can get away with wearing a wide range of scents (in the past have worn Kouros, New Haarlem, Himalaya, M7...) and am not afraid of trying something new.

Any recommendations?

Default Re: Summer night in a tropical metropolis

MI- Creed

Does MI have the staying power to survive in the heat and humidity, though? I plan to get a bunch of samples before buying, obviously, but a common complaint I've read about MI is that it disappears pretty quickly. I tried it years ago but can't remember.

Sur la Plage

Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Canali Summer Night.

The Shiseido counter at that large mall near the old cathedral carries the Serge Lutens line - I tried the Vetiver Oriental last time I was there and wish I'd bought it - felt good all afternoon. Gris Clair is another one they might carry - serious lavender that works well in the heat for me. Chergui is nice if they have it on the stand (I suspect the SAs there don't really know the range).

I wore Amouage Reflection Men in the evenings when I was there and it worked a treat. If you want something crisper and drier Malle's French Lover (aka Bois d'Orage) could do the trick.

+1 to Carnal Flower and you should also be able to try MI locally - I saw a few Creeds on sale (which surprised me - and yes they were real).

Quote Originally Posted by jgbond View Post
    Does MI have the staying power to survive in the heat and humidity, though?
    The idea of using an Eau de Cologne or citrus style fragrance or dry herbal/lavenders are often recommended for the hot summer months. I'd recommend these in a dry, Mediterranean type environment, but in your situation, the humidity, the body sweat, the exhaust fumes are all going to breakdown these types in short order. I think you would be best served by something that doesn't have any longevity issues and has a resinous, slightly synthetic vibe. Kenzo pour Homme may be easy to find, it lasts as long as a nuclear fallout and it stays fresh under the most brutal weather conditions. I'd add Fille En Aiguilles to the Lutens list, pine notes married to benzoin, which makes for an interesting balance between fresh and rich with the bonus of great longevity. You might also want to try something with an incense base, like Amouage Epic Man.

Creed Original Santal

Dependent

+1 Gris Clair. I think it performs exceptionally well in the tropical heat and humidity.

I'll add: Paestum Rose.

Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport EDT

Anything by Diptyque. Their whole line is inspired by Vietnam.

Also Etat Libre d'Orange - Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes. That one is inspired by the Philippines.

Or maybe just regular Dior - Eau Sauvage.

Dior Homme Intense
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

I kind of get the feeling that the OP has probably found something good for those hot Saigon nights after four years.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

YSL La Nuit EDT may be another choice- while not the most complex, surprising or creative fragrance, it is an overall smooth and inoffensive choice to blend in quite successfully with the warm evening temperatures of almost any given metropolis during summertime.

Creed Aventus: roasted, ashy pineapple
    Guerlain Homme Intense: Rum, mint, lime and vetiver
    Virgin Island Water: coconut, lime, rum... Very tropical vibe.
    Dolce and Gabbana The One: tobacco, candied orange, sweet booziness.
    Dior Homme Sport: lemon, ginger and iris. Super versatile.

I live in the Caribbean and all five work great in the heat...

Jardin apres le mousson Hermes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thehighend View Post
    Creed Aventus: roasted, ashy pineapple
    Guerlain Homme Intense: Rum, mint, lime and vetiver
    Virgin Island Water: coconut, lime, rum... Very tropical vibe.
    Dolce and Gabbana The One: tobacco, candied orange, sweet booziness.
    Dior Homme Sport: lemon, ginger and iris. Super versatile.

I live in the Caribbean and all five work great in the heat...
    I was surprised by how well Guerlain Homme Intense worked up here in the summer, but if GHI is working for you down there, then I'm definitely going to pack it on trips to hotter climates, too.

+ Guerlain Homme perfect for a hot & humid climate in a lively environment like the city. Smells exactly like a moijito.

Sombre Negra by Yosh