Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Six Scents Series

Has anyone gotten to try anything from Series One OR Series Two? Are they as interesting as they sound or rather conventional..

I wanna try them so badly but I don't where to go haha
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Default Re: Six Scents Series

End/Beginning was my favorite from series 2. Distinctive incense-heavy scent. Nicoll No. 17, also from series 2, is a gorgeous dry, herbal-sweet scent focused on fennel that sadly fades to an indistinct base far too quickly.

From series 1 (why are these still not in the database?), I remember liking #2, without remembering why.

But my favorite is the one saddled with the worst name of the bunch and with a ridiculous over-the-top homoerotic brief from designer Jeremy Scott. Series 1 #5, Illicit Sex, is (when all is said and done) an intriguing peppery, aldehydic floral, unlike anything else I own. Give it a try!
    Last edited by PaulSC; 12th July 2010 at 08:45 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Blog Entries

I have 1 (a less-expensive Byredo Pulp) and 3 (a much-better Hinoki) from series 1 and bought a Luckyscent sampler pack of series 2 when it came out. A couple were terrible and a couple were really interesting. Speaking of bad names, my favorite from series 2 was Solar Donkey Power.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Basenotes Plus

I remember trying 2 florals from this line a year ago. They were both too perfumey and indolic for my taste. So that was it - haven't sampled any others from the line since.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 13th July 2010 at 04:07 PM.
    Currently wearing: Chypre 21 by Heeley

Well it doesn't sound like I'm missing much haha I remember SoS mentioning Wicken 3000.. I think that one sounds really intriguing out of the whole lot
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

All twelve of these (from Series 1 and 2) are currently half-price at Apothia (ronrobinson.com)...
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Thanks for the heads up PaulSC.

I had a bit of fragrance anosmia (more like fragrance dyslexia or hyperosmia) and Wicken 3000 smelled quite weird to me for quite some time, although I liked it a lot during the first wearing or two where I didn't have that issue. Lately, I've overcome my chemical sensitivities and this scent once again smells as I remembered. I like it on myself, but really like it on my girlfriend (There's something about the innocence and purity in this scent that makes it very sexy on a woman). On top of that, this scent is by one of my favorite perfumers (Lucas Sieuzac), and is also a limited edition - so I felt compelled to pick some up.

But while I like the scent a lot, it doesn't feel like an $85/50ml scent, or rather, there are other scents at that price point that are more compelling. At 50% off though, I couldn't resist picking up a bottle.

Anyhow, I've never ordered from them before (or even heard of them, for that matter), so I'm hoping all goes smoothly.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I almost blind bought Damir/Doma, but I figured I should put that money towards a new incense scent I just found and absolutely LOVE - Scents of Time's Ankh.

Has anyone tried both Damir/Doma and Ankh? If so, would you mind elaborating on the similarities and differences. Thanks!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Sur la Plage

I really like Illicit Sex. I like the fragrance with that name also.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have Series One #3 Cosmic Wonder . Notes: green grass, fig leaves, cypress, elemi, coriander, cedar wood, vetiver, hinoki, white amber. These elements appeal to me and the scent does not disappoint. Green grass followed by lots of wood. I like it. I sniffed a few others from Series One but none appealed to me. Then the shop I used stopped carrying the line.
    SOS mentioned Ankh and I agree that is a great green-tinged incense scent.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I really liked #3 from Series 1, too. A great woody, grassy, and natural smelling fragrance. I didn't feel a need to own it, but feel that it is much better than most wood scents, even some of the ones that are highly lauded here such as Hinoki.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Are these at risk of being discontinued? I want to try them, but don't want to waste my time, if they won't be around for purchase.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Are these at risk of being discontinued? I want to try them, but don't want to waste my time, if they won't be around for purchase.
    These are "limited edition" scents. For example, my Series One #3 comes with a certificate which says 819/2000. As I understand it, only two thousand of each scent are made. And each year (Series) there are six new scents. So, when something is gone, it is GONE.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Another fan of Series 1 No.3 (Spirit of Wood) here. I quite liked No.1 (Urban Tropicalia) too which smelled quite like MPG Bahiana to me. In the UK Series 1 was stocked by Savoir Faire who went bankrupt and their liquidation stock appeared on Ebay at half price. last time I looked about a month ago some were still being sold on Ebay. As far as I recall I think there were limited numbers of each fragrance made.

Anymore thoughts on Series 2?

I was quite interested in No. 5, the fennel based scent, which also listed iris, angelica, jasmine, basil, etc as notes. It sounds quite interesting, and Octavian over at 1000 Fragrances lauded it highly. ( http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...rd-nicoll.html ).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I really wanna try Whiskey Caramélisé from Series 2. It sounds incredible! Well.. actually I'd like to try all of them but I doubt that'll happen haha!

Whiskey Caramélisé was inspired by the designer’s memory of a square-ish ambery bottle of whiskey.

Notes: Mandarin, Nutmeg, Blackcurrant, Apple, Dewfruit, Hawthorn, Sandalwood, Musk and Patchouli.
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Anymore thoughts on Series 2?

I was quite interested in No. 5, the fennel based scent, which also listed iris, angelica, jasmine, basil, etc as notes. It sounds quite interesting, and Octavian over at 1000 Fragrances lauded it highly. ( http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...rd-nicoll.html ).
    That's my favorite from series 2 -- gorgeous sweet, sun-dried herbs. It fades very fast, sadly, and I decided against buying it. Now I'm tempted all over again at half price. Will have to read Octavian's review...

EDIT: reading the review, I see he considers it a cooler and possibly more dewy scent; it struck me as very dry.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

The only other one I tried in Series One was #4 Diagonal . Here's my impressionistic shop notes.
    Dill, black pepper, nutmeg, black tea, amyris, white amber, musk

Nice but starts quite light and close to the skin. Develops light spice and light woody musk. Gets a bit sweet at the end. At times it has the toasty-sweet, fleshy quality of Cumming. Nothing unpleasant, arguably nothing compelling.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    These are "limited edition" scents. For example, my Series One #3 comes with a certificate which says 819/2000. As I understand it, only two thousand of each scent are made. And each year (Series) there are six new scents. So, when something is gone, it is GONE.
    Well, then Ody, I will HAVE to get on that sampling, eh? Why couldn't money grow on trees?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution

I must say I was a bit disappointed with Series #1, especially Buxton's one #6...Teen Spirit which smelled very proper, soapy and pedestrian. I have not smelled any of Series #2, although some of the reviews here and on Octavian's blog perked up my ears.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Blog Entries

I did some pretty long-ass reviews of them when they came out in this thread.

I really wanted to like the fennel one, but it was insanely weak and lasted only a few minutes. Maybe with a full bottle at half price you could drown yourself in it and get something more out of it, though.

The carmelized whiskey one was a butterscotchy patchouli that reminded me of A*Men, but minus that lavender on top and some of the depth.

My winner was Solar Donkey Power, which was like a bright, summery Timbuktu (if you can imagine that).
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I've only tried #2 (Wicken 3000), #3 (Spirit of Wood) and #5 (Illicit Sex) from Series One, and although I didn't find the latter two FBW personally, I think they were both well realized and fairly unique fragrances. Wicken 3000 is unique in its utterly minimalistic, almost post-modern approach, and while that kind of thing is not up most BNers alley, I do think it set itself far apart from standard designer fare.

Based on that exposure and the reviews of Series 2, I think that these fragrances should get more exposure than they have been. Damir Doma from Series 2 is, for instance, another rarity - an all natural scent composed by a professional nose. I'm kind of regretting that I didn't just blind buy that with my order of Wicken 3000. I might pick it up anyhow while the sale is still going.. all natural + a great sounding notes list + a respected nose = SOS's curiousity is piqued!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I saw 6 of them today in a Chicago highly edited clothing store. There were 4 from series 3, and 2 from series 2. In the end, I decided that I needed to buy one, even if I had not tried them before, and ended up buying series 3 no. 6, M by Yann Vasnier. The top is a really nice fresh rubbery accord (cardamom) that becomes more cedary later,and assumes some light animalic touches. All light and modern, perhaps too much. However, at least today, the longevity was very poor, so I wonder if I made the right choice.

Tomorrow, I'll be resmelling the paper strips I had of the others (tonight, Ende/Anfang seemed to have been a better choice).

Anyway, the fashionable black package contained a booklet describing the inspiration for the series, and, more importantly, the bio of the perfumers. And also a DVD (!). Indeed, the packaging looks like a multi DVD pack. Also novel, the name Givaudan displayed on the packaging (I saw that only on some Swiss Arabian perfumes), and the notes containing the names of (presumably Givaudan's) trademarked molecules, Cedarwood Atlas Orpur, Moxalone, cosmone. (Am I perhaps anosmic to some of these?)

cacio

Power Where You Need It

I'm not familiar with many fragrances from the Six Scents series but the ones I tried striked me as extremely modern. Usually I tend to appreciate modernity when it's paired with inventiveness and avanguardism but, when it's simply soulless and sort of aseptic tends to bore me in a while.

Said that "Can't smell fear"( Six Scents Series Three 3 by Junn.J) is a spicy-woody leather with a strong ambrette note. Nice but too "fashion-oriented". Doomed to be completely forgotten very soon.

The other one I recently tried was Six Scents Series Three 5 . N.Hoolywood: #087 . Cut grass and marine notes in the classic modern style. Nutmeg and hinoki add slight spicy/woody undertones. Not completely bad. A nice option for anyone who's looking for a plausible alternative to not wear any fragrance.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I agree with alfarom, the common theme seems modernity, in the sense of light touch, synthetic smelling, overall pleasant though unadventurous.

I smelled #087 too, exactly as said. I also smelled one from series 2, I think it's called Nicoll, which is instead much sharper and grassy. I don't think I'd wear it, but at least it shows more energy.

I've been wearing series 3 n 6, M, again today, and I can see why I was drawn to it. It opens rubbery-leathery, with a spicy blast (cardamom is listed). Then it develops some nice and dirty animalics, stronger than what I had perceived the first day. It's a sort of Rien or Oud cuir d'arabie lite, sort of the dirty member of the Helmut Lang Anvers series. I can see why one would want something less intense than the two powerhouses, but I wished it didn't goo this much into the modern, I'm not a perfume field.

cacio

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

I tried Collage & Whiskey Caramelise from series 2 and they were nothing special. I also tried one from series 1 but can't remember which, obviously not memorable. Don't know about series 3.

I resmelled some paper strips I had from sunday's trip (and reedited this post after reading rogalal's excellent reviews, which I had missed).

Series 3 no 2 trompe l'oeil is a fruity floral with a sweetish vanillic drydown. Not syrupy nor cloying, but nothing special either.
    Series 3 no 4 Ascent is a strongly soapy aldehydic. There is an interesting and unusal pear note. However, the rest of the fragrance smells like cheap soap - and the pear, in this context, contributes to the effect (which might explain why pear is uncommon in perfumery). (The blurb mentions "sperm" but I can attest that there is nothing of the sort. Do they want to bank on Sec Mag's fame?)
    Series 3 no 5 #087, as mentioned above, is a simple but not unpleasant grassy herbal with just a touch of oceanic notes; modern in style, but better than the usual fresh stuff, as the oceanic part is subdued and the grassy part is in evidence. The blurb mentions motor oil, but, once again, none is detectable.

Series 2 no 2 Ende/Anfang is a pleasant light pine-incense (as also mentioned in a previous post). Too light perhaps. I don't get the meat rogalal mentions, it would have been interesting.
    Series 2 no 3 Solar Donkey Power is a very bright citric thing, lime, orange blossom. Not unpleasant, which is rare for this type of things. Rogalal talks of karo karounde and Timbuktu - on paper, it remains more fresh-citric, but this clearly needs to be smelled on skin, also to see how the freshness persists.
    Series 2 no 5 Nicoll 17 is a very strong (on first application at least), aqueous, grassy vegetable - didn't think about fennel first, for an Italian, fennel is just the white bulb, which tastes good but doesn't smell grassy. But once I read about it, the note of a greenish fennel (including the aromatic leaves), perhaps soaked in water, is quite evident. Not that I would want to smell like a green fennel, but at least it generates immediate excitement and smells novel.

I still haven't watched the DVD ...

cacio
    Last edited by cacio; 25th October 2011 at 07:02 AM.

I remember sampling the Damir Doma one, out of admiration for his beautiful sense of style and amazing fashion line (go check it, btw...). Didn't like it much, it's a quite complex incense-civet type of fragrance, with very distinct phasese of development, none of them particularly easy to wear. On my skin it turns into amber-vanilla base note with a smoky hint, and it has fairly good longevity, about 5/6 hours. I hear you guys on the "modernity" bit, but the Six Scent series stretch it a little too much: most of them are really difficult to wear. I see them as sort of artistic statements rather...
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

WOAH FIRST POST.
    I have Six Scents: Series three No.5 087... I sampled it first and thought I liked it and bought it... To my disappointment I personally thought it was too overwhelming at least for my nose. I feel like if it wasn't as strong it'd be much better. I just feel stupid that I spent $150 on something I took literally 2 sprays of and stored away.

I don't have a clear memory of the first series, but as a whole it left an impression of a collection of sketches, and nothing stood out for me.

The second and third series' I find to be much better, it just feels that the designers and perfumers put more effort into them to make real perfumes. I was also pleasantly suprised how the perfumers have given pretty accurate short descriptions for the work they've done in these (the designers' ”vision” babble in these is another matter...).

Series 2 – N° 1 ”Collage”: Fresh citrus/floral with a ”cleaned” patchouli and incense base. I find the whole to have an interesting subtly creamy, round undertone. It's not super-unique but very pleasant and wearable. (own)

Series 2 – N° 2 ”Ende/Anfang”: One of my favourite fragrances from everything I own and have tried during the last 6+ years of my fragrance hobby. It is also the best natural fragrance I've ever experienced. A subtle woody incense-oriental that goes from cold spices to warm woods, blended to perfection. I find neither pine nor civet in it unlike couple of previous commenters and I don't feel this as difficult to wear at all. Very elegant and beautiful, but room announcing sillage lovers won't like this. (own)

Series 2 – N° 3 ”Solar Donkey Power”: Bergamot and icy gin in a heated wooden sauna, with a light chypre/amber background. Nice but maybe a bit monotone, begins to grate my nerves after a while. (tested)

Series 2 – N° 5 ”Nicoll No. 17”: Fresh, light, moist green scent built around fennel plant, lovely alternative to traditional edc-compositions especially as a summer scent. (own)

Series 3 – N° 1 ”Beau Bow”: Great eau fraiche – chypre hybrid. With this one I hesitated a bit because of the price, as many eau fraiche type fragrances are available a LOT cheaper, but ended up buying as I love how impeccably this is done and how it dries down into a chypre'ish base. The lasting power is also a lot better than with basic eau fraiches. (own)

Series 3 – N° 3 ”Can't Smell Fear”: I can't even dissect it, it just smells a bit weird. Makes me think of some kind of a burning machine with leather mixed in. I'm guessing there's some kind of musk that takes this over a bit and blurs the other stuff in my nose. (tested)

Series 3 – N° 4 ”Ascent” Creamy white musky floral bar soap. I like this smell but wouldn't pay the price. My nose can't dig out much of the other notes under the huge soap. (tested)

Series 3 – N° 5 ”#087” I get all the advertised parts in this (the motor oil, sea air, the Japanese forest) in this from the beginning and it's beautiful and evocative but the other notes around the woods disappear too soon (especially the motor oil) for me to pay the price for this and it ends up as a ”forest room spray” on my skin, unfortunately. (tested)

Series 3 – N° 6 ”M” is another favourite of mine, a sensual musky sweet suede with cardamom. Around the time I tested this I begun to realize that I really seem to dig Yann Vasnier's style in several recent compositions (Ende/Anfang, MJ Bang, DelRae-stuff, TF Santal Blush). (own)

Series 2 N° 4 ”Smell”, N° 6 ”Whiskey Caramélisé”, and Series 3 N° 2 ”Trompe L'Oeil” I just found too sweet and/or boring.

I wouldn't describe these hard to wear, with perhaps the exception of Series 3 ”Can't Smell Fear”.

Octavian has written reviews of most of these on his blog (just search ”six scents”), and I really recommend reading them, as well as a couple of reviews on NST.
    Last edited by Mikael; 3rd July 2012 at 06:52 PM.