Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Shalimar Ode de la Vanille Limited Edition to launch this year

I tried it on my skin yesterday. I can say this: gone is the smoke and heaviness of the original Shalimar. I'm not exactly smelling more vanilla, what I'm smelling is a different type of vanilla, more transparent and closer to a musk. I'm not getting any connection to Double Spiriteuse Double Vanilla - there's nothing syrupy going on here. Perhaps Guerlain is attempting to do to Shalimar what Chanel did with Eau Premiere.
    Its longevity is poor.
    In the end I decided not purchase it, as I'm completely happy with the original Shalimar.

I'm with Germanomio, it's smoother, but not sweeter, actually less sweet than original Shalimar. And yes, not more vanilla, but a different vanilla, without the musky powdery sway this vanilla smells more gourmand like real vanilla pods. It has a somewhat boozy quality, something like brown cacao liqueur. I get normal longevity but since the powder is gone, it wears closer to the skin. A sort of "L'Art et la Matière line" Shalimar perhaps.

PS: I'm pretty sure that the jasmine is enhanced too. Ode smells sort of indolic compared to classic Shalimar.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    ...A sort of "L'Art et la Matière line" Shalimar perhaps.
    I like the sound of that. I can't wait to test this.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    They had this in Debenhams today for £61.50 no testers available however , I was almost tempted .....
    Oooh I hope they have it in my Debenhams this weekend I am totally going to buy it!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

PS: I'm pretty sure that the jasmine is enhanced too. Ode smells sort of indolic compared to classic Shalimar.
    You really nailed this one, there is something very animalic going on in the top notes. I thought perhaps it was civet, but the indolic jasmine angle makes total sense. I also feel that there must be some neroli on top as well. Wasser also seems to have chucked out the original's opopanax. As it stands, Ode feels like an x-ray of the original. Nice work, but I'm not convinced it's a complete success.

I could also suggest: it feels like a less low-cut Shalimar . I'm not too convinced that it's a complete success either, to be honest. It's not a real revelation like Mathilde Laurent's Light was... Now that I've pinned down the jasmine in Ode, it's getting bigger and bigger! Almost as big as in Les Secrets de Sophie...? So if Light was a younger Shalimar, Ode is an extra "grownup" one...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    As it stands, Ode feels like an x-ray of the original. Nice work, but I'm not convinced it's a complete success.

Post Thanks / Like

I know its coming out Oct 10th. I got the word about it in Vegas. So all of you waiting for it stateside, its coming.
    Scents I have that are not in the database.

Amouage Molook Attar
    Full Incense - Montale
    Oudh Lacquer by Soivohle
    Shalimar Ode de la Vanille by Guerlain
    Mukhalat Makaki Perfume Oil by Swiss Arabian
    Man Amber by Halston
    Absolue pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Puro Intense by Nejma

I LOVE it. Must own. It has somehow made Shalimar something I want to wear. It was always my mum's perfume but now this twist changes it. Just a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Daly View Post
    I've been wearing my sample for a week now and think I have to own it. At $120 for 50ml of a LE I guess it just doesn't seem that bad to me? The presentation is sooo pretty and it's different enough from Shalimar.

Mr G it really DOES seem less musky, dusty and powdery than the original. It's so smooth and seamless, beautifully composed in my humble opinion. Elegant.
    You make it sound so lovely.....I can't wait to try it!!!

I have a question for anyone familiar with the Guerlain Boutiques, particularly the one in Vegas. Do they give/sell samples of the perfumes? I am dying to try the new Shalimar as well as Jicky and have a friend going to Vegas next week...I'm really hoping she can bring back samples for me.

Post Thanks / Like

OK I was shocked to see this in my local Debenhams today. Now it was in a glass case and I at first thought it was just the normal Shalimar in the Jade Jagger bottle. But it was the Ode a la Vanille, so I asked if the sa had a tester. No samples of this one going.

The opening was a bit of a shock, almost bitter in feel. The dry down was glorious and I keep sniffing my hand all the way home. Now I keep thinking this is how Shalimar used to smell long ago before the batwing bottle. I was expecting more of a vamp vanille but it was its usual opoponax resinous feel I get from my older bottles. Ode a la Vanille is how Shalimar should smell not the weak watery thing around today.
    DONNA

So will you by a bottle Donna ?

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a partial bottle from a gal in Canada...it should be arriving this week ~ I'm so excited (yet a tiny bit hesitant) to discover what this "Ode" is all about!!! The bottle is a stunning modern take on the classic urn!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    So will you by a bottle Donna ?
    Part of me was going, oh I want this. Then I kept thinking, get out an older Shalimar edp and see you feel the same after a few wears. Jury is still out about it.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a bottle yesterday in Debenhams, they were the only store to have it, both House of Fraser & John Lewis had sold out. I really love it!!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I agree that the opening feels bitterer than classic Shalimar - for just one minute I wonder if Wasser has put grapefruit up there. I smells a bit like Pamplelune and Shalimar mixed during the first minute. Then it turns into what I'd call boozy-woody vanilla, still sort of dry, makes me think of brown cacao liqueur. I don't agree at all that it smells like vintage Shalimar. On the contrary, vintage Shalimar was extraordinary powdery. Ode a la Vanille has almost all the powder taken out.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    The opening was a bit of a shock, almost bitter in feel. The dry down was glorious and I keep sniffing my hand all the way home. Now I keep thinking this is how Shalimar used to smell long ago before the batwing bottle. I was expecting more of a vamp vanille but it was its usual opoponax resinous feel I get from my older bottles. Ode a la Vanille is how Shalimar should smell not the weak watery thing around today.

Post Thanks / Like

I am so very intrigued by all of your descriptions. I am drawn to the very notes that you name, Mr. G. And JaneDaly, my mother too wore Shalimar (didn't they all?) and can't bring myself to love it as I know that I might. Perhaps Ode is the answer. I will try it next weekend!

Post Thanks / Like

I have finally tried this one on skin and my impression is:
    It seems that the Shalimar fragrance is so complex and intelligent that it allows Guerlain to play successfully with both parts of what made the original innocent and sensual, complex but simple at the same time: the hesperidic accord and the vanillic center. Eau de Shalimar and Shalimar Light pushed the composition on the citrus side, with a light gourmand accord. Now it`s time for a more focused vanilla rendition of it. This Ode a La Vanille starts similar to shalimar, with a lemon-lime accord, very citrusy and less bitter than the original, which is followed fastly by the vanilla accord. The vanilla accord it`s less powdery than the original shalimar, maybe because all the adornments of what made the base of shalimar gourmand, but not sweet, were missing here. You don`t have the opopponax, the tonka, the labdanum here. The vanilla accord is very focused on vanilla, something like Spiritueuse Double Vanille, but less boozy and without the spicy touch of SDV. It`s a silky, slightly incensed, warm vanilla that shines e dominates almost all the composition. At the base, the vanilla gives space to what seems to be a similar base used in prada amber edp - a combination of ambar, patchouly and musk that gives a final amberish and slightly wood finish in a whispering way.
    This shalimar may not be so loved by the fans of the original, but it`s a great vanilla adition to a house which is known for it`s passion for the complex and appealling aroma of the vanilla.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot detect anything indolic or flowery like jasmine in ode a la vanille. If there is something in this way, it`s completely lost at my skin.
    What i get is like four distinct phases:
    1. A simpler, bitter citrus opening of the original
    2. A fast, almost impercetible, movement of powder and vanilla. This is the moment where the fragrances seems more close to the original shalimar.
    3. A creamy, boozy, vanilla moment, where the vanilla it`s the center
    4. A base of patchouli, musk, something like ambar and traces of the vanilla in the movement 3.

I agree that the opening feels bitterer than classic Shalimar - for just one minute I wonder if Wasser has put grapefruit up there. I smells a bit like Pamplelune and Shalimar mixed during the first minute. Then it turns into what I'd call boozy-woody vanilla, still sort of dry, makes me think of brown cacao liqueur. I don't agree at all that it smells like vintage Shalimar. On the contrary, vintage Shalimar was extraordinary powdery. Ode a la Vanille has almost all the powder taken out.
    Very interesting points, but I'm not so sure that it's grapefruit that makes the opening accord bitter and dry. Grapefruit would also make it go sulfuric, which isn't what I got. Perhaps the bitterness is related to the incense and the spice bouquet? I tried my much loved Shalimar parfum extrait again, right after testing Ode, and it now feels rather heavy and thick. I'm thinking that my initial disappointment in Ode may have been premature. I now feel the need to get a decant and do some more testing.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried this a couple of weeks back, on paper. To be honest, I wasn't that impressed. All the elements that make Shalimar interesting have been forfeited to concentrate on a big vanilla hit. It's not terrible, it's just not as good as the original, by a long way.

Smile Re: Shalimar Ode de la Vanille Limited Edition to launch this year

I have just received my bottle of Ode De La Vanille today at Neiman Marcus in San Francisco. They received a few bottles.

Post Thanks / Like

It turned up here a couple of days ago. I'm enjoying it - it does seem to be a more subtle take on the original Shalimar with a hint of the boozy SDV accord in there - but done very tastefully.

It is not Shalimar as we know it 'sweetened up' by a dollop of vanilla by any means, in case you were worried. I think Mr. G describes it well for me - some aspects of the original have been dialed down (or removed entirely) and this new vanilla combination given room to play, particularly in the latter stages. If anything it's more discreet overall and probably a lot more approachable for some guys. It also seems quite light, it wears close - altho probably in time I'll notice it more - this always seems to be the way . . . very nice stuff.

PS Welcome, Jay Dabbs - your first post here

Alright, so Ode a la Vanille finally arrived here. I had been keeping an eye peeled for it and finally spotted it a couple of days ago. I was inexplicably filled with childish excitement. I sprayed myself fairly liberally that first visit, and I tested it again today – but only one spritz this time because the SA was guarding the juice: "Please, sir, just one, it is a limited edition…"

First impression: Lovely lime opening, more bitter than the classic edp. Nice floral heart. Nice indoles on paper, even a little civet, but they fail to linger on my skin. Good vanilla dry-down. Fleeting.

Second impression, worn side-by-side with the classic edp: Definite grapefruit note in the opening that is a little harsh. Florals not as soapy as the classic edp.

I don't think I'll go for a third try. Ode a la Vanille simply doesn't push the right buttons for me. But Wasser still deserves kudos for coming up with a nice modern rendition. For me, though, that's the operative word: "nice". It's a good formula for people who go to Shalimar for its vanilla. And for people who dream of Shalimar with a face-lift. Personally, I go to Shalimar for the whole kit and kaboodle: the bergamot, tonka, and the other bells and whistles that have been stripped down in Ode.

I have to sadly admit that I don't need this redux. Sadly, because I was hyped about it, and because the presentation truly is beautiful. I really dig the bottle, so I've decided to buy a new Jagger bottle of the classic edp with the money I was expecting to spend on Ode…

Kinda off-topic: This last visit to the Guerlain counter was a perfect opportunity to do side-by-side comparisons on paper. I brought my own blotters: one sprayed with my 2004 edp, one sprayed with the defunct Eau Legere, one for the new edp, and one for Ode. Random observations:

1) The 2 classic edps are quite close. The new edp has a slightly more bitter opening, like there is some noticeable lime in there. It is also airier and waxier - but still very good. No fears for those who like the early 2000's reboot.

2) I'm noticing a fleeting cigarette ash note in Ode. Maybe this is how my nose is interpreting the leather?

3) The comparisons confirmed an inkling that Ode, though quite nice, doesn't hold a candle to the Eau Legere (which I hadn't worn in a while).
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Ok, am I the ONLY one who thinks that Shalimar doesn't need another flanker?

It just smacks of greed somehow. Mona Lisa is a bit dated now? Let's photoshop her with a big grin and make lots of copies to sell!

I don't know. I mean; sure, I enjoyed Shalimar Light; it's fun to wear if you don't want the heaviness of the original. So I'm reserving the right to like the new one, too.

But somewhere in all of this there has to be just some calculating business guys going, ok, how can we get the press to write about us, how can we get people to talk about Shalimar all over again, how can we capture the new gourmand trend with one of the originals... blah blah blah.

And there's nothing inherently wrong with that, I suppose. It just makes me feel like the end-result may end up being *too* calculated.

I'm not terribly familiar with these new Shalimars, but Ode is no Shalimar to me. Lots of indoles, orange... I am well familiar with different vintage extraits and the EdT. Funnily, I got this sprayed on a tissue and found it deceptively correct. Eventually, I got home with a sample together with my new extrait refill I bought. It was that much of a difference on skin. It's not a bad fragrance per se, it is just bad if called Shalimar IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

I was dazzled at first by Ode, then tried a few times and thought. Its just modern Shalimar with twikked(sp) certain notes. I prefer classic vintage Shalimar any day.
    DONNA

Yes, the "Ode a la Vanille" designation may look like an easy "sell-the-Guerlain-myth" trick, because after all, the new thing doesn't seem to be that much about vanilla. I find it to be a more restrained, drier, more compact - and more masculine - version of modern EdP, with a bitterer top (yes it smells like grapefruit!?), much less orris, more severe jasmine, less balsams and more patchouli - the latter accounting for the restrained masculinity, the "cigarette ash" and probably also the cacao effect I get. It reminds me in structure of L'Instant Homme EdP. I wish the celebrated vanilla extracts were more evident. Some would say that Wasser took any "grandma" out of Shalimar - I'd say he buttoned up the low-cut dress. Oh well, it's just a limited edition, and I like the smoothness and serious style of it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I love it.

It does seem like a hollowed out Shalimar with quite a dry aromatic (and, thankfully, not particularly dense) vanilla carefully mounted in the remaining space . . . I agree it would be nice to have a bit more of this! Overall it is quite fleeting, which is a bit of a shame, but beautiful on fabric - spray with abandon

I have done side by sides with vintage extrait and current EDP and clearly this is for a different age (epoch wise and perhaps generational, as well) but it feels like Shalimar is still there hovering over the proceedings. I'm sure if people who were a bit leery of 'old stuff' ("grandma" indeed ) could experience this one it would lead some of them to appreciate the original.

Wonder if it will stick around or if it is truly a limited edition?

It's marketed as a limited edition, but so was Spiritueuse Double Vanille, and when it proved to be a big hit, Guerlain decided to keep its production going. So maybe it will depend on the sales?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Wonder if it will stick around or if it is truly a limited edition?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, I have to give this a big ol' proper review soon - I've been wearing this a lot recently. I agree with most of the comments above, except for the 'grapefruit' comments...I don't smell that one.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

For a Shalimar *hater* like me, I sampled this one yesterday and I loved it!!! That says a lot... :P

I agree that it's about generation (epoch and human); at least that's how it comes across. I suppose having a flanker like this allows them to keep grandma in the rocking chair whilst playing with the young ones...

It came to my mind today... who smuggled Armani Code into Ode?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can't believe as much chatter as this perfume generated including a home page story on Basenotes it is still not in the Fragrance Directory -- and it isn't because I haven't asked -- no begged.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile
    Chloe Roses de Chloe

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I really enjoy Ode de la Vanille so much more than Shalimar Parfum Initial, really why all the fuss over that timid flanker? I hope Vanille makes it out of the limited ed. category and becomes more widely available.

And yes, this one is sorely missed in the directory.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Shalimar in all its incarnations and especially love Ode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Does somebody somewhere have some influence with Grant to get this added to the fragrance directory? I will even take a picture for him. I've asked, begged and hinted to no avail. I've even used a bit of sarcasm in posting my scent of the day as Shalimar with a note that it is really Ode but it is not in the fragrance directory. How can you devote so much article space to this scent before it came out and then not put it in the fragrance directory?

Does someone somewhere know how to make this happen?

Betsy
    Betsy
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile
    Chloe Roses de Chloe

Post Thanks / Like

Betsy, last year Plus Members participated in a test where we could access a form and enter fragrances to the directory. I bet Ode was entered, but the data is awaiting approval by Grant before they become visible. The fragrances I added in May 2011 are slooowly trickling out now. I wish the process was more efficient, it IS frustrating to wait that long.

I wish the moderators could be the ones to approve the entries, to take the burden off Grant, but maybe there are technical issues preventing that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Betsy, last year Plus Members participated in a test where we could access a form and enter fragrances to the directory. I bet Ode was entered, but the data is awaiting approval by Grant before they become visible. The fragrances I added in May 2011 are slooowly trickling out now. I wish the process was more efficient, it IS frustrating to wait that long.

I wish the moderators could be the ones to approve the entries, to take the burden off Grant, but maybe there are technical issues preventing that.
    I will try to be more patient. I notice Especially Escada is already there even though it came out after Ode. It is just very frustrating.
    Betsy
    Chanel No. 5 Voile
    Chloe Roses de Chloe