Code of Conduct
    Point Blank

Default Is there such a thing as an oriental aquatic?

A bit of an oxymoron I guess - oriental being defined by warm, spicy, amber and aquatic being defined by cool, airy, water notes...

However, I guess I don't imagine a cool scent per se, but rather a warm oriental scent being cooled off by a salty, marine note. Imagine an ocean breeze in the near east or middle east...

Is there any fragrance that gets close to this idea in your book?

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Is there such a thing as an oriental aquatic?

It's not an oriental aquatic, but I like Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient for a fresher take on an oriental.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

The one spicy aquatic that comes to mind is Rochas Aquaman. No amber, but definite spice and aquatic accords.

Kouros Cologne Sport

Salvador Dali - Laguna

That's the closest thing I can think of...

I think many would place Geir and Laguna in that category.

PS - this is my least favorite of all scent categories. Aquatic chemicals and overblown vanilla/spice? No.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 13th July 2010 at 07:28 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Point Blank

Thanks for the answers.

I can add that I'm not a great fan of aquatics such as Bvlgari Aqua. However, I do like the more salty variety like Erolfa or Sel de Vetiver that may not be classified as aquatic but still brings my mind to the ocean.

In short, I'm more after a certain feeling/imagery, than I'm after certain notes or olfactory categories so feel free to suggest whatever comes to mind!

As for Geir, I don't get any oriental feeling personally, and it might be the most overrated fragrances here in my opinion - if there was ever a generic fragrance...

A couple more spicy aquatics:

Oxygene Homme.
    ST Dupont Essence Pure.

As to salty, perhaps:

Heeley Sel Marin.
    Annick Goutal Eau du Sud is definitely salty, but a salty-citrus, more than aquatic. But it might be of interest.

What about Kenzo (Kenzo Pour Homme Fresh) or L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme. Haven't tried either, but it would make sense to me that an oriental aquatic would begin with a Japanese fragrance designer.

Montale's Embruns d'Essaouira, something I've been wanting to try for a while, mainly becuase it is so disliked! Iodine, sandalwood, resins and musk.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

kenzo pour homme smells like salt oceanic water. It's not oriental but it's a sexy aquatic scent.

Carolina Herrera Aqua.

Hugo Boss Elements Aqua - oriental fougere or aromatic woody fragrance that is actually wet, if that's possible!

Dependent

Try Montale's Sandflowers (Briny, sandy floral).
    Last edited by MFJ; 31st July 2010 at 10:46 PM.

DNA for Men by Bijan is a oriental fragrance for men. DNA for Men was launched in 1992. Top notes are caraway, lavender, mandarin orange, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are cyclamen, ginger, fir, gardenia, pepper, jasmine, west indian bay and geranium; base notes are leather, sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, benzoin, oakmoss, vetiver, incense and cedar.

Perhaps Tommy Bahama.

I think you'd like Dune for women - I don't know the masculine but the feminine is absolutely unisex. It's definitely an oriental at heart with tons of amber plus sandalwood, benzoin, musk and vanilla, and although many would argue with me and say it's just bone-dry, I say it's also got a decidedly aquatic element. It's a masterpiece of contradictions (warm and cool, wet and dry, salty and sweet) and one of my five-star favorites, especially for warm weather....although it performs beautifully when it's cold out, too!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Salvador Dali - Laguna

That's the closest thing I can think of...
    I agree

Fougeres Marines is pretty mainstream for a Montale, and doesn't have many fans here, but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by derekp View Post
    Fougeres Marines is pretty mainstream for a Montale, and doesn't have many fans here, but I like it.
    One of the better aquatics, with a definite herbal aspect; not really salty or spicy in my memory though.

One more realistic aquatic to consider. Laura Tonatto's Oltre. Here is an extract from foetidus' review:

Salty and oceanic. Ms. Tonatto has accomplished such a true-to-the-sea marine scent without the synthetic notes that occur in so many other marines scents. Oltre is sharp and maybe even harsh and astringent, but those qualities are capable of speaking the character of the sea.

Point Blank

I might have messed up this thread - the starting post may be a bit misleading - probably because I'm not very good at classifying scents.

I don't look so much for a light, fresh, aquatic scent with a vanilla/sweet/spicy base - as in a combo between Bvlagri Aqua and Le Male - I don't know many of your suggestions but I think Hugo Boss Elements Aqua would fit in here.

I'm more looking for a dark, oriental scent with a cool and salty element - as in a combo between Opium and Sel de Vetiver - if that makes any sense at all?
    Last edited by Point Blank; 14th July 2010 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    One more realistic aquatic to consider. Laura Tonatto's Oltre.
    I wanted to try this badly, but it's been discontinued. :-(

I don't think an oriental/aquatic has been done before but it can be a unique, intriguing challenge and concept.

A top and heart notes phase consisting of a marine-herbal accord ala Kenzo Pour homme or Erolfa but then landing on a rich luscious lutens or guerlain-like base would be something I will be interested in. It will also draw in french perfume and oriental snobs who look down on aquatics in general..
    -

I have to agree with Salvador Dali's Laguna Homme. It was my SOTD yesterday and it's the epitome of the genre you're looking for. Nice sweet and salty thing going on. I don't always think to reach for it, but when I do I often get compliments from women. I really like the design of the bottle--very cool looking. Also, Laguna Homme can often be found pretty cheap. It's not super complex, but it's good stuff. I imagine this would be perfect to wear to the beach.

Point Blank

I will have to try Laguna, that is clear I'm also very curious about Opium Eau version, since I like the original but found it too cloying in the drydown... I will try some other suggestions here as well...

I have this Montale made for the Arabian market, Aragon, definitely an aquatic oriental. Ozone and spice and everything nice. Too bad I hate acquatics...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Plus

This old thread was linked to a more recent one, but Sancti Les Liquides Imaginaires fits the bill here, in that it is a very light take on an incense oriented oriental. The only incense heavy scent my wife likes on me, so it certainly is a genre bender.

Montale's Embruns d'Essaouira is an aquatic with a heavy dose of spicy notes and musk.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.