Code of Conduct

Default Natural and Subtle Fragrances

It's been forever since I posted on BN. Long story - got perfume allergy, got discouraged, got married, recovered from allergies, but (big BUT) my nose has changed.

I still love wearing fragrances, but finding ones that work now is very difficult. I used to be a chypre person and still am, but can't wear the big heavy-duty ones anymore. Gone are Djedi, Black Aoud, Idole De Lubin, Brandy, Safari, Bandit, Tubereurse Criminelle, Musc Koublai Khan, Coco, Acqua Di Parma Profumo, Cuir De Russie, on and on. You get the picture. My wardrobe picks are a cemetery of what I used to wear

But there is a bright side - I find I actually like the lighter fragrances now and people aren't quite as likely to get attacked by them.

My (new) husband is Japanese-American, and likes very subtle, natural fragrances. He was a widower, and his former wife adored Obsession. He said he couldn't get near for an hour after she put it on. So you can see it's a very good thing my nose changed - he would have had a hard time with Black Aoud!

When we were dating he bought me a bottle of Creed Royal Water, and I like it a lot. I can also still wear Nanadebary Green, Annick Goutal Eau De Camille, Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue, and D'Orsay Tilleul. I really like him in LesNez Let Me Play The Lion and Thierry Mugler Cologne. As you can see, these are fragrances without much powder or sillage.

My question - are there any recommendations for fragrances that fit this category? Powdery, aldehydic, musky notes are a thing of the past for me. The more natural the better. For some reason Royal Water seems to really work, but I would like a few more choices as after all, I'm still a perfumista at heart. I would love a really great fresh floral that won't make me feel lousy. Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Natural and Subtle Fragrances

Have you explored the L'Artisan line?

Eau de Jatamansi and Cote D'Amour might be the best fit for your situation. There are also some light/fresh florals to explore, such as L'Ete en Douce and Mimosa Pour Moi -- and others too, to be honest the "lighter end" of this line is the stuff I've been less inclined to try.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Post Thanks / Like

Also some of the Hermessence scents, like Rose Ikebana and Osmanthe Yunnan?
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Have you explored the L'Artisan line?

Eau de Jatamansi and Cote D'Amour might be the best fit for your situation. There are also some light/fresh florals to explore, such as L'Ete en Douce and Mimosa Pour Moi -- and others too, to be honest the "lighter end" of this line is the stuff I've been less inclined to try.
    I know lighter is a lot less compelling draw than rich and fabulous in perfumes. I just checked out their line-up, and it looks pretty promising. I haven't tried out any of their newer stuff, so I think I'll order some samples.
    Last edited by flathorn; 13th July 2010 at 08:22 PM.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow! When I saw your name, I couldn't wait to check out this thread. Welcome home, flathorn — I vaguely remember some "flats" where you landed your plane amongst purple flowers(?). It HAS been a long time. Congrats on the marriage, condolences on the allergies.

Gentle and green must be my favorite sort. Most recently Creed Aubepine Acacia has drawn my attention. Other thoughts: Ineke Balmy Days & Sundays, Bond No. 9 Brooklyn; some of the Ayala Moriel and Patricia Nicolai fragrances might work.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Quarry! Oh yeah, I was hoping you were still around because I remember you liked a lot of softer ones (along with all those big outrageous ones we all love). I will definitely try your recs. Thanks for the congrats - I lucked out and married the nicest guy in the whole world, bar none. We used to date when I was really young, and I foolishly dumped him for Mr. Wrong.

Flathorn, it is good to meet you! I think you had stopped posting right around the time I found Basenotes. I want you to know that your reviews are among my favorites. They have helped and influenced me!

I recently got to try D'Orsay Tilleul, thanks to a special Basenoter. That's a beauty!

I enjoy the type of fragrance that you are looking for. L'Artisan is my favorite house, and the two that PaulSC recommends, L'Eau de Jatamansi and Cote d'Amour, are great! I own them both and use them frequently. L'Eau de L'Artisan, Premier Figuier, Mimosa Pour Moi, Passage d'Enfer, Navegar, Poivre Piquant, The Pour Un Ete and La Chasse aux Papillons Extreme are a few more that might work for you. Saffron James Le'a is another pretty and natural-smelling floral.

I also like PaulSC's recommendation of Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan and Rose Ikebana. You might also try their refreshing pink grapefuit fragrance, Pamplemousse Rose.

Olivia Giacobetti's Malle En Passant and Cinq Monde Eau Egyptienne, might also be nice for you. In fact, I see a pattern emerging. All the fragrances highlighted in purple are by Giacobetti!

Last, some of The Different Company's fragrances smell relatively natural to me, and stay close to the skin. My favorites include Bergamote, Bois d'Iris, Sel de Vetiver, Osmanthus, and Un Parfum des Sens et Bois. You might also try Un Parfum d'Ailleurs et Fleurs, a floral that seems to be highly regarded (I can't remember it and need to re-try!).

Best wishes to you!
    Last edited by Haunani; 13th July 2010 at 09:15 PM.

Almost anything by Olivia Giacobetti is very beautiful and light! Her Honoré des Prés line is even organic - that might be worth a try...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

You could check out Tigerflag which has a good range of organic perfumes . http://www.tigerflag.com/tiferet-list.html

or try some natural perfumes by Ayala Moriel ,Anya, Strange Invisible Perfumes...
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 13th July 2010 at 10:17 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Olivia Giacobetti is fantastic, a perfumer that was making individualistic fragrances from the very beginning of her career. The fact she has an organic line is good news for people like me, who developed an allergy not to the natural ingredients but the synthetic ones. Thanks on the heads up, Klute and Haunani. It's nice to make your acquaintance also.I think it's farisighted of her to start an organic line, as there has developed a certain percentage of perfume lovers who acquired allergies from their love (not that we're bitter or jeaulous ).

It sounds like L'Artisan is the place to start, and I have to finally sample Ayala's line. I've heard about her for years. L'Eau de Jatamansi and Cote d'Amour have gotten several nods, so I'm looking forward to those two quite a bit, and Quarry's Aubepine Acacia .

I had such problems with the new florals I wondered if I had a problem with florals in general, so I tried some old ones - vintages from the 30's, 40's, 50's. I had no problem with them - they were pleasant and easy to wear. Granted, they didn't last as long as the new frags and were "softer", closer. But honestly, some of the new ones have a constitution of iron.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend Eclat d'Arpege and Yves Rocher's Pur Desir de Lavande. Both are soft, beautiful and not at all overpowering or heavy on the musk.

(I've heard good things about the other Pur Desir scents, and also So Elixir from Yves Rocher, but have not personally tried them.)

L'Eau d'Hiver.

Hillaire

I totally second the TDC rec from Haunani.
    Especially Osmanthus and Bergamote.

Well, I put in my order to the Perfumed Court, etc. I think I ordered nearly every single recommendation on this thread. Thanks all. I appreciate the input.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you find ones you love, flathorn!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd also suggest trying Annick Goutal. Isabel Doyen is the perfumer & since you enjoyed another creation of her's, Let Me Play the Lion, you may enjoy some of the lighter (and less floral) AG's.
    Ciel, Eau d'Hadrian, Nuit d'Hadrian, Eau de Charlotte for example.
    "Mom….now the kitten smells like Chamade!"

"I would love a really great fresh floral that won't make me feel lousy. "

Try this up-and-comer Artisan perfumer: www.orchidscents.comhttp://www.orchidscents.com

I especially love Javonica.

JeanieE

"I would love a really great fresh floral that won't make me feel lousy. "

Try this up-and-comer Artisan perfumer: www.orchidscents.comhttp://www.orchidscents.com

I especially love Javonica.

JeanieE