Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - Praise!

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    It just became available in a 100ml (for $110) making it an even better deal.
    Where can you find this at?
    Currently wearing: Tam Dao by Diptyque

Neiman's and Saks have it on their website. I don't know if Nordstroms has it yet - but they probably will soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I don't really care for this. I like Encre Noire much better.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    unfortunately the latter half of it and especially the base is chock full of Iso E Super that is so blatant that it would make Ellena blush. Still, its a good vetiver fragrance.
    This is probably why I cannot smell it on myself after one or two hours while I can smell it on others a good 6-8 hours after application.

i don't find the IsoE comment accurate at all... i own pure ISO E Super and don't get ANY whatsoever from Grey Vetiver...

Point Blank

I definetly get Iso E but I like Iso E, which is why I also like Encre Noire. However, I don't think comparing the two makes much sense as they occupy different territories. Grey Vetiver is a great day scent for work, whereas Encre Noire is not.

Right. So I finally got my hands on a sample of this. Wearing it today for the first time. First thoughts are, it's very linear, fresh, citrusy. It doesn't make you smell like an old man. It's ideal for formal day time events, such as morning weddings, church, office, job interview, etc. It's inoffensive, it's not in your face. It's very pleasant, and you get vetiver throughout with wafts of citrus from time to time. It won't give you a headache and it won't make women wet their pants, but it is ideal for the events mentioned above. It's been 2 hours since application and I still get regular wafts of citrus. Will I be buying a bottle, yes. I need something for daytime formal and this is perfect.

Does this smell anything like Guerlain's Vetiver? I dont mind the opening of GV but the dry down smells a bit dated to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FragDeck View Post
    Does this smell anything like Guerlain's Vetiver? I dont mind the opening of GV but the dry down smells a bit dated to me.
    Soapier and without the tobacco.

Blog Entries

It starts off bright and the way the vetiver is done definitely has a "grey" vibe to it. I wore this a lot during August and September off an official sample. I pondered buying a bottle someday or at least try to swap for it.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Soapier and without the tobacco.
    thanx. Now just gotta get ahold of a sample..

It's a beautiful scent, but I agree that the ISO E Super is a bit much for me at times. Very well done though. I, unlike many on these boards actually like Tom Ford as a fragrance brand. There are quite a few of his line (including the private blends) which I find quite lovely.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    ...I, unlike many on these boards actually like Tom Ford as a fragrance brand. There are quite a few of his line (including the private blends) which I find quite lovely.
    Same here.

Grey Vetiver has fast become one of my favourite vetivers.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by FragDeck View Post
    I find it smells very very similar to Guerlains opening... but thats it, just the opening. After that, Guerlain changes as you mentioned to a bit more dated smell. TFGV stays like Guerlains opening basically the entire time. Fresh, citrusy, bright... very casual but formal as well. Its awsome.

In my opinion, the best citrus take on vetiver out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
    Right. So I finally got my hands on a sample of this. Wearing it today for the first time. First thoughts are, it's very linear, fresh, citrusy. It doesn't make you smell like an old man. It's ideal for formal day time events, such as morning weddings, church, office, job interview, etc. It's inoffensive, it's not in your face. It's very pleasant, and you get vetiver throughout with wafts of citrus from time to time. It won't give you a headache and it won't make women wet their pants, but it is ideal for the events mentioned above. It's been 2 hours since application and I still get regular wafts of citrus. Will I be buying a bottle, yes. I need something for daytime formal and this is perfect.
    Right. I wore this for about a week to work everyday. Really perfect. It lasted, as I stated above, all day and then some and I caught great whiffs of vetiver/citrus throughout the day. I definitely liked it for all seasons and for work and out. Very versatile and everyday to me. Great stuff.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Sprayed myself with this one the other day and though there wasn't much of a progression, the citrus vetiver mix was quite nice and lasted over 7 hours with 1 spray! As it dried it got sweeter and soapier but still with a very nice and elegant feel to it.

Back when i started this thread, I wasn't a huge vetiver fragrance fan... but now I've come to love em'.

The vetiver fragrances I own are:

Sycomore
    Sel de Vetiver
    Fat Electrician
    Encre Noire
    Montale Red Vetiver
    Terre d' Hermes

and of course
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

Out of all of them, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver sicks out the most as the most 'refreshing vetiver'. Such bright, cheerful, fresh, citrusy take on vetiver.

Absolute LOVE!

I dislike the grapefruit citrus in this perfume otherwise the smoky vetiver is nice.

I love the scent but found it too sharp for me to actually wear.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?