Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - Praise!

I'm not a fan of Vetiver's at all. All of them always came accross as too 'gentleman like', to 'old school'. I was always intrigued by vetiver and enjoyed the note present in the fragrances in my wordrobe... so I always had interest in finding one I would like. But being 26 years old, I didn't want to smell too 'mature', which all of them came off to me.

First smell of Grey Vetiver, - wow! I absolutley love it! Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is excellent, this coming from soneone who shy'd away from all Vetiver scents. Exactly what I've been looking for.

Extremely modern take on vetiver. I can wear it and feel hip & young, non-offensive and come off smelling good to just about everyone of all ages. I can't see anyone not enjoying this fragrance.

Two thumbs up!
    Last edited by md1grwl; 19th October 2010 at 02:22 AM.

Point Blank

Default Re: Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - Praise!

I agree entirely.

I really like it too, but I do think it's more for older customers

I agree entirely Point Blank's entire agreement!
    It is such an accessible vetiver for those (WindyCity, wink, wink) who don't like that vile weed.

Yes, I also like it quite a bit, too. Modern, easy to wear, and it does not smell like everything else on the shelves of Sephora. I agree it can go young, but it's also sophisticated enough for an older gent. Tom Ford certainly has made an important contribution to the masculine fragrance world.

Point Blank

Clarification: I agree entirely with the assessment of Grey Vetiver. However, I personally love that vile weed. I don't think vetiver as such is old school, it's just that the classic renditions are - it depends on the whole composition. I think Encre Noire, Infusion de Vetiver, Sel de Vetiver and Vetiver Babylone are other modern renditions.
    Last edited by Point Blank; 13th July 2010 at 10:26 PM.

^ Definitely Sel de Vetiver...so unique, modern, fresh and mysterious. Highly recommended. Unlike any other vetiver I've smelled.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 13th July 2010 at 11:04 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I'd definitely say that Grey Vetiver is a good starting point for any vetiver newbie. A bit mature, perhaps, but not really old man.
    I'd maybe say Calvin Klein Contradiction would also be a good vetiver for a younger person.

I like the meaty vetiver presentation in the beginning - unfortunately the latter half of it and especially the base is chock full of Iso E Super that is so blatant that it would make Ellena blush. Still, its a good vetiver fragrance.
    -

I never quite associated vetiver with old or mature (barbershop fougeres do that for me), but it does feel elegant and sophisticated, like good dry white wine. For this reason, I don't have any problems wearing vetiver of all sorts.

That said, I do like Grey Vetiver as well, although I don't think that it's my favorite of the bunch. Part of the problem I think is the citrus, which reminds me very much of Guerlain's Vetiver, although the spicy and peppery notes really distinguishes itself and saves it from being another boring vetiver.

Blog Entries

I love the stuff, too. GV and SdV are among my favorite scents.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    ^ Definitely Sel de Vetiver...so unique, modern, fresh and mysterious. Highly recommended. Unlike any other vetiver I've smelled.
    Hey, I was going to mention this one as a modern take on it as well. I agree on Gray Vetiver being quite good. Might be a bottle in my future.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Hmmm, I find it a little overpriced. I think it's a bit of a sad vetiver, the thing's basically got no personality. Best reserved for those who want to feel special without the risk of having someone not like them for some reason.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I think it's beautiful! Love the bottle also.

Just not too impressed with the longevity. It lasts when sprayed on clothing, but stays very, very close to the skin after just a few minutes and is barely detectable after 2-3 hours.

Sur la Plage

I think it is a great vetiver fragrance, and not "a vetiver for people who don't like vetiver". That trophy goes to Prada Infusion de Vetiver.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think it is a great vetiver fragrance, and not "a vetiver for people who don't like vetiver". That trophy goes to Prada Infusion de Vetiver.
    +1

Glad it's not just me thinking that. I was doing a real Clara Peller impression - "WHERE'S THE VETIVER???!!!" - in Saks when I smelled the Prada. In fact, I was almost a bit offended, in a "What - you don't think women can handle vetiver?" way.

I must agree that GV is not an "in your face" vetiver - and it's unlikely to either offend, or satisfy the hardcore vetiver lover, who's likely to prefer the stronger vetiver edge of something like Vetiver Extraordinaire. But GV is still, IMO, a really nice take on vetiver that's pretty novel and timely.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Yeah, I would say Vetiver pour Elle and Original Vetiver belongs in this category as well.

Couldn't agree with OP more. Problem with GV is its temperamental projection. It comes and goes, but longevity for me was fairly well.. 6-8 hours, sometimes more.

I love this stuff. Got a sample from the SA at Nieman's yesterday. Wearing it today. I could never get along with Guerlain Vetiver and similar ones but liked Encre Noir and Vettiveru. This is in the same vein but better for work. I get a citrus blast, followed by some smokey middle notes and then a beautiful drydown without the tobacco that I like so much. Smoother. Really nice. As for projection and longevity. I've had this on 3 hours now and it is still going strong. I'm catching whiffs all the time.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 25th October 2010 at 03:25 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Is eBay the only place to buy this? Do any online shops carry it?

Sephora carries it as does Nordstroms.

Quote Originally Posted by DarreninDC View Post
    Sephora carries it as does Nordstroms.
    Thanx.

Hmmm.. its a Eau de Parfum, so its supposed to last a decent amount of time, eh? Why do some people have longevity issues with GV?

I don't really care for this. I like Encre Noire much better. I think Tom Ford GV smells "thin" beside it.

I can easily smell it 5 hours later

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I can easily smell it 5 hours later
    I put this on at 6:45 this morning CST. It's been 7 hours and still is doing very well on me. I sprayed maybe 4 times.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I put this on at 6:45 this morning CST. It's been 7 hours and still is doing very well on me. I sprayed maybe 4 times.
    yes, the logevity is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Best reserved for those who want to feel special without the risk of having someone not like them for some reason.
    But I suspect that that is a considerable market segment.

I, myself, love Grey Vetiver, a very reserved, very classy scent, and I get eight to even ten hours out of it. It's strong stuff too; two sprays are plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gollnick View Post
    But I suspect that that is a considerable market segment.

I, myself, love Grey Vetiver, a very reserved, very classy scent, and I get eight to even ten hours out of it. It's strong stuff too; two sprays are plenty.
    this is my favorite citrus take on vetiver. exactly what you said, very classy yet modern. i like it so much i stocked up... lol, maybe a bit too much, but I think i may have a life time supply of this stuff

great vetiver!

I definitely a fan. It has good longevity on me. I was pretty shocked when my wife said that she liked it too. I didn't expect her to like vetiver at all. All signs point to acquiring a bottle at some point.

It just became available in a 100ml (for $110) making it an even better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    It just became available in a 100ml (for $110) making it an even better deal.
    Where can you find this at?

Neiman's and Saks have it on their website. I don't know if Nordstroms has it yet - but they probably will soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I don't really care for this. I like Encre Noire much better.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    unfortunately the latter half of it and especially the base is chock full of Iso E Super that is so blatant that it would make Ellena blush. Still, its a good vetiver fragrance.
    This is probably why I cannot smell it on myself after one or two hours while I can smell it on others a good 6-8 hours after application.

i don't find the IsoE comment accurate at all... i own pure ISO E Super and don't get ANY whatsoever from Grey Vetiver...

Point Blank

I definetly get Iso E but I like Iso E, which is why I also like Encre Noire. However, I don't think comparing the two makes much sense as they occupy different territories. Grey Vetiver is a great day scent for work, whereas Encre Noire is not.

Right. So I finally got my hands on a sample of this. Wearing it today for the first time. First thoughts are, it's very linear, fresh, citrusy. It doesn't make you smell like an old man. It's ideal for formal day time events, such as morning weddings, church, office, job interview, etc. It's inoffensive, it's not in your face. It's very pleasant, and you get vetiver throughout with wafts of citrus from time to time. It won't give you a headache and it won't make women wet their pants, but it is ideal for the events mentioned above. It's been 2 hours since application and I still get regular wafts of citrus. Will I be buying a bottle, yes. I need something for daytime formal and this is perfect.

Does this smell anything like Guerlain's Vetiver? I dont mind the opening of GV but the dry down smells a bit dated to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FragDeck View Post
    Does this smell anything like Guerlain's Vetiver? I dont mind the opening of GV but the dry down smells a bit dated to me.
    Soapier and without the tobacco.

Blog Entries

It starts off bright and the way the vetiver is done definitely has a "grey" vibe to it. I wore this a lot during August and September off an official sample. I pondered buying a bottle someday or at least try to swap for it.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Soapier and without the tobacco.
    thanx. Now just gotta get ahold of a sample..

It's a beautiful scent, but I agree that the ISO E Super is a bit much for me at times. Very well done though. I, unlike many on these boards actually like Tom Ford as a fragrance brand. There are quite a few of his line (including the private blends) which I find quite lovely.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    ...I, unlike many on these boards actually like Tom Ford as a fragrance brand. There are quite a few of his line (including the private blends) which I find quite lovely.
    Same here.

Grey Vetiver has fast become one of my favourite vetivers.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by FragDeck View Post
    I find it smells very very similar to Guerlains opening... but thats it, just the opening. After that, Guerlain changes as you mentioned to a bit more dated smell. TFGV stays like Guerlains opening basically the entire time. Fresh, citrusy, bright... very casual but formal as well. Its awsome.

In my opinion, the best citrus take on vetiver out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
    Right. So I finally got my hands on a sample of this. Wearing it today for the first time. First thoughts are, it's very linear, fresh, citrusy. It doesn't make you smell like an old man. It's ideal for formal day time events, such as morning weddings, church, office, job interview, etc. It's inoffensive, it's not in your face. It's very pleasant, and you get vetiver throughout with wafts of citrus from time to time. It won't give you a headache and it won't make women wet their pants, but it is ideal for the events mentioned above. It's been 2 hours since application and I still get regular wafts of citrus. Will I be buying a bottle, yes. I need something for daytime formal and this is perfect.
    Right. I wore this for about a week to work everyday. Really perfect. It lasted, as I stated above, all day and then some and I caught great whiffs of vetiver/citrus throughout the day. I definitely liked it for all seasons and for work and out. Very versatile and everyday to me. Great stuff.
    --Ben Hogan

Sprayed myself with this one the other day and though there wasn't much of a progression, the citrus vetiver mix was quite nice and lasted over 7 hours with 1 spray! As it dried it got sweeter and soapier but still with a very nice and elegant feel to it.

Back when i started this thread, I wasn't a huge vetiver fragrance fan... but now I've come to love em'.

The vetiver fragrances I own are:

Sycomore
    Sel de Vetiver
    Fat Electrician
    Encre Noire
    Montale Red Vetiver
    Terre d' Hermes

and of course
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

Out of all of them, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver sicks out the most as the most 'refreshing vetiver'. Such bright, cheerful, fresh, citrusy take on vetiver.

Absolute LOVE!

I dislike the grapefruit citrus in this perfume otherwise the smoky vetiver is nice.

I love the scent but found it too sharp for me to actually wear.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?