Code of Conduct

Default How do yo determine whether a scent is for daytime/evening, summer/winter?

I sort of can tell, but I mean, does it really just come down to personal opinion?

Default Re: How do yo determine whether a scent is for daytime/evening, summer/winter?

Seasonal: It is an environment thing. In the winter, it is traditionally dry and cold. Therefore, a light, citrus would not do well in the environment. A darker fragrance is required to hold a body in the environment. Vice versa, if you use a deep fragrance in the sunny, humid environment it would be overwhelming and nauseating.

Day: A light, but sometimes dark, fragrance that can be easily transitioned from work to errand would be a daytime. A night fragrance would be a darker, deeper (sometimes sultry if clubbing) to fit the setting and mood.

Now keep in mind that all of these are personal preference, but trends are what dominate the fragrance world. So if you smell the new fragrances during the summer you will smell a lot of citrus and clean. Fraiches and aquatics. But as soon as fall hits fragrance launches change to heavier fragrances.

Default Re: How do yo determine whether a scent is for daytime/evening, summer/winter?

I would say it all comes down to preference. I have worn some very heavy scents during the daytime without apology.

As a rule, day scents are lighter with citrus and florals, and evening scents are heavier with patchouli or vanilla.

Still, no rules, actually.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

It's almost entirely personal opinion, yes. I find that the scents that I crave tend to match the traditional seasonal patterns - leather and smoke and gourmand and spicy tea and animalic notes in the winter, green and citrus and dryer tea and the brighter florals in summer, and the heavier florals seem to be OK for everything but the worst hot, humid days.

And I feel more like the sterner, more formal fragrances for evening, and the bubblier, sillier fragrances for daytime. As for what makes something "more formal", I'm having trouble coming up with any explanation at all.

But as long as you're not putting on too much of something overpowering when you're going to be in close contact with other people on a hot humid summer day, it's really entirely up to you.

Basenotes Plus

Nah, I really wouldn't worry about the time of the day. Rather I look at what activities I might be doing over the lifespan of the fragrance. Any physical exertions with likelihood of perspiring? Any close physical contact with colleagues, friends, partners, or strangers? Having a good sense about how your fragrance react to increases in body heat, ambient temperature or humidity certainly helps. Other methods may work well too but this is my preferred approach.

Blog Entries

It's all up to you. I live right on the coast where it can get downright hot and humid during the day, such as yesterday, where C. Herrera's 212 Men would come in handy. Last night though grew cool where a long sleeve and Tiffany for men or Black Sued Touch by Avon would fit in fine.

Conditions/situations and your preferences come into play, if you work outdoors I would think your choice is different than an indoor suit and tie environment.

Good luck!

It really does come down to your personal preference in a given season, time, and situation. Experiment with samples and see what works for you.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

On daytime i love citrus scents in night i want something spicy.
    A Perfume Maker newbie, soon to build a perfume empire.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mr. tinkle View Post
    does it really just come down to personal opinion?
    Yes.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I would say it all comes down to preference.
    Agree.

im very particular about when i wear my colognes, sometimes i wear whatever but usually i stick to the occasion, season and mood.

cold weather i wear strong colognes with wood, leather, tobacco, pepper, and gourmand smells and in the warm weather i wear more citrus, vetiver , floral,etc. daytime is more light and fresh, night i use stronger colognes, casual occasions i wear lighthearted frags, professional i wear strong, romantic i wear usually sweet gourmands.

Summer= lighter
    Winter= heavier

Summer - fruity, citrusy, fresh, aquatics
    Winter - sweet, spicy, gourmands

Daytime - unoffensive, with not that much projection
    Evening - something bolder

Its almost unbelievable how my opinion about same fragrance can change thanks to different weather conditions. e.g. Rochas Man - I tried to wear it few times to work during summer and I ended nauseated. Now its colder and it works great. Cold air + more clothes = less headache
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme