Code of Conduct

Default Brainstorming the issue of 'naturals' or 'organics' within a name

I wondered if we might have a collective brainstorming session here?

Please correct me if I have got this totally wrong. As far as I can understand it, many absolutes are going to be banned from natural perfumery because they are using the chemical hexane or suchlike in their extraction process. I don't know if Co2 is included in this new ruling.

If one wishes to stick with naturals which now seem to be considered slightly un-naturals... then I wonder what we may be allowed to call our perfume category...

'Chemically extracted natural perfumes'..?.. Nice marketing angle there....

I was wondering what to call these perfumes without stepping on legislative toes. Can we think of another name to use, that expresses Natural or Organic without saying so?
    Last edited by mumsy; 13th July 2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: error

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Brainstorming the issue of 'naturals' or 'organics' within a name

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    If one wishes to stick with naturals which now seem to be considered slightly un-naturals... then I wonder what we may be allowed to call our perfume category...
    Perfume?
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

That bit covers all categories. Expressing Natural or Organic was the vital part.

Post Thanks / Like

"The perfume formerly known as natural"?
    Last edited by PaulSC; 13th July 2010 at 11:51 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I was thinking about your first answer and actually you are quite right. Don't call it anything.

I've found some fantastic hand made natural mulberry papers that are 100% recycled with lots of natural bits in it, and a card pillow box that looks so rustic it almost is like the card from the inner part of a bog roll.... that should give a good enough impression of natural.... (Maybe too natural. The luxury aspect needs applying somewhere, perhaps on the label).

Just the label design to go, so if that is pitched correctly, then there will be no doubt at all from the look of it that there are only natural ingredients inside this box. The potential customers (ha ha, as if it's ready or good enough!) will have to find out how natural for themselves.

Who has the authority to ban absolutes from natural perfumery? Just refer to your perfume/ad copy as "Perfume made entirely from extracts of natural plants."
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 16th July 2010 at 09:22 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Caution: This product contains botanical material found in nature which may be fragrant.
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

Post Thanks / Like

Some good suggestions on this thread. Without opening a huge can of worms, I'll just say that I think it's better to emphasize the quality of your ingredients and the artistry of your compositions than to get caught up in the contested meanings of "natural." I have nothing against all-natural perfumes, but I'm repelled by the idea that adding a synthetic component, if it gives the desired olfactory effect, will get you kicked out of the club.

As for customers with allergies, the only sensible way to serve them in my opinion is to publish a list of ingredients.

Anyway, I would love to hear more about the perfumes you're making...
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

My perfumes are an interest which has developed from a 20 year old obsession. It all began in the quest for Houbigant Ambergris and here is where I landed. I have been working for quite a while on an Ambergris blend from plants and am pretty near something I think is a good plant replacement. A bIt like Anyas quest for Musk in the mystery of Musk thing. A recent one I have developed is a chocolate-like one (by accident). This is aside from 'real' perfumes. I take an established perfume and have a stab at it myself. It's my hobby...just because I can..and for interest. I have no commercial aspects.....yet.

I am not against aromachemicals in a composition, especially when they reproduce an aroma replacement for something endangered or cruel. However, there is such an enormous wealth of material available in the natural arena without broaching any of those areas. Therefore, without speaking for anyone else or judging what they do, I feel that is the place to start for me as a beginner. There is plenty there to be getting on with on the natural side, without needing to even bother with those fields until I am better qualified to make that decision. I also have a concern as to the unknown aromatherapy aspects of those (see my other thread on that if you like). My own feelings are that there is a general movement towards that which is greener and kinder to the environment as a whole, so that is where I am headed to date.

A big however though......One aromachemical I am most interested to smell would be ambroxan..... but I don't want life too easy.