Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Going Unnoticed

Default Re: Going Unnoticed

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    I really don't understand the insecurity and fear behind complimenting/asking about fragrances. The general public wears them for that very reason, yet to ask someone is this profound, unsettling, emotionally distressing experience...? Contradictions don't taste good...
    For me personally, there are a lot of reasons to wear fragrance, but certainly not to garner compliments, especially not from men and certainly not from total strangers.

The original poster was certain a co-worker would say something if they liked or disliked it. The possibilities that first come to mind are:

1.) They have higher priorities on their mind. Solution: look for the lull in work before expecting anything.
    2.) Apply more or apply just before being around others.
    3.) Maybe the fragrances aren't working for you positively OR negatively. Try something else.

Try not to offend the most, but always please yourself.

Cool Re: Going Unnoticed

+7

And it could be worse.

Wait until the day comes when you try a sample of what turns out to be cheap synthetic crap and then you get complimented!

Cry me a River,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Only time I ever got complimented at work on a scent was after I had peeled a few tangerines for a snack.

Thank you all for the replies. I didn't expect this topic to be as popular as it is! I definitely do and will continue to wear fragrances for myself. I also have to say it's been a lot of fun learning and trying out new things from day to day! I'll continue to do this and just see if anything happens in the future. If not, no big deal...but I will admit it would be fun.

Take it from me: people notice. As I've shaved a few times on here, I had a co-worker tell me that when she went out with some of the girls at the office, one of them commented that I always smell good, and then atleast two others co-signed her on that. It was interesting, because none of these women EVER said anything to me personally. So just know that people do notice. Yeah, compliments are great, but you just have to be satisfied knowing that you smell good, and believing that surely others notice.

I totally get what you're saying. The ones you mention are all very nice, but not particularly bold or unusual. For me, Terre d'Hermes is a huge compliment-getter, as is Giorgio For Men. My point is that maybe you should try something with a bit more bite. Just a suggestion.

Sometimes I can`t notice enyting on myselves. Then a custumer open the door and walk in the room. She said: "Damn! What smell soo good?!" I was very surprised that my scent actually filled the hole room, when I couldn`t notice it at all..

The guy behind me in line at Target was wearing Tam Dao and logistically I didn't have the opportunity to give him props.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    Once I said to a guy "That's a nice perfume you're wearing. What is it?" on a two minute elevator ride, when we were alone.
    Inconceivable over there I presume.
    Possibly at least partly a cultural question, yes. I compliment people on their choice of fragrance if it doesn't seem too unsuitable given the context. I try to compliment people in general, when something really stands out. Receiving an honestly meant compliment can make me a little happier for days, I'm sure the vast majority of people feel the same, and I want people with great taste to feel good about themselves, especially someone who makes bold, brave and unusual choices. Personally, I usually find it easy to tell whether it's simply a case of honest appreciation, or delivered with ulterior motives.

That said, I hardly ever get complimented on my fragrance, other than by close friends who know about (or share) my passion for perfume, but I get complimented on my clothes fairly often, even by passing strangers, and I compliment people on clothes a lot more often than I comment someone's perfume. I do think that fragrance is perceived as more personal and intimate, and it's also not that often I get close enough to people to really form an opinion on the perfume they're wearing. Few people have big sillage here, I suppose, and when they do it's usually Pink Sugar, Angel, Le Mâle or something else that doesn't seem like enough of a conscious statement to comment on. (I did recently compliment an acquaintance with a delicious sillage that turned out to be Alien, to my surprise!)

"The samples I've tried so far have been YSL, GIT, and L'Eau Par Kenzo PH."

Hi! The scents that you are wearing are subtle, low sillage affairs. You might get a compliment if you get close to someone...which might not be advisable at a workplace

However, if you want attention, you could always try A-Men or Kouros with 3 sprays. It definately will get you attention.

I only get comments from my wife. And she's usually telling me that I smell like an old man...

+8 "People are probably noticing, just choosing to not say anything."

The fragrance that gave me the bests compliments was Allure Homme Sport, by far