Code of Conduct

Thread: Going Unnoticed

Unhappy Going Unnoticed

So, I've been wearing a few fragrances the past days to work to see how they smell on me after a period of time. I usually do 3 sprays, chest (on skin), neck and wrist at around 6:30 AM, and head in to work. The samples I've tried so far have been YSL, GIT, and L'Eau Par Kenzo PH.

Even when I'm in a small office of people at 7:30 AM, nobody seems to notice that I'm wearing anything. This is strange to me because there are people there who would absolutely tell me if they liked or disliked what I was wearing if they did notice it. In fact, when someone else has sprayed a fragrance when I walked in, they sometimes would ask if/what I was wearing, even though it wasn't me (this happened twice)!

The strange part is, I can definitely smell the scent on my skin at this point in the day, and they always seem to last at least until around noon before beginning to fade into obscurity.

So I have some questions. Could I be applying too little fragrance or in an improper manner for my skin type, or are the majority of noses only apt to pick up a scent when recently sprayed?

I don't want to be an oversaturated cologne guy, but it'd be nice if I could share my newly found interest with other people through their sense of smell.

Default Re: Going Unnoticed

Don't get discouraged. Wear the scent for yourself, first and foremost.

And don't be too concerned with spreading your love of scent around. Some people don't care and some are only content to use scented laundry soap. They look at perfume connoisseurs as an odd lot.

It's like trying to convert someone into a football fan who really does not give a hoot for sports.

Take heart, too. One of these days, a person will remark on how nice you smell.
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th July 2010 at 12:20 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Over the years several scientific studies have consistently demonstrated that people in the US prefer having, and extending to others, a significantly longer distance in terms of personal space radius than other cultures.

Because your profile shows a US location, I wonder if it could be that when you speak and interact with the people in your office, you are just so far away from each other that they can't smell you!

Just as an experiment, try wearing the same perfume in a situation/environment with a different prevailing culture, and see if people don't compliment you on how nice you smell!
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

Try making out with your co-workers, they should, at that distance be able to discern what scent you're wearing.
    Don't be discouraged.
    Just Kidding, as I know you are asking a legitimate question ;')
    Last edited by neal; 14th July 2010 at 12:44 AM.

wear joop! see how it goes...

It depends on the scent used as well as how you apply: Joop! takes nothing to be noticed by others, while others (Eau Sauvage, ie, comes to mind) are more of a skin scent.

Primrose is right, though, you should be wearing fragrances for yourself. I would add, whoever you fancy.

they can still probably smell it, consciously or not.

Wouldn't it be strange if we were constantly telling each other that he or she smells good?

I am pretty sure it doesn't go unnoticed, but why would people talk about it?
    Using fragrance and being disappointed because of getting no compliments is kind of weird in my opinion.

Compliments are not easily given. If a men compliments a women, she will think he wants her in his bed.
    A men complimenting another men on how good he smells is also kind of strange, for non-Basenoters. Saying that you are smelling another person has something slightly vulgar.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 14th July 2010 at 01:49 AM.

Yeah, my wife used to tell me how her old boss (Dan Petry, ex-Tigers pitcher) smelled fantastic. But actually never told him.

If you wear a scent to snag compliments, you might get discouraged. I only get compliments from my wife and relatives that occasionally give me a hug. It's rare for people to compliment for fear of sending the wrong message.

Just dont be "that" guy.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Wear the scent for yourself.
    Agree.

Don't mean to be preachy, but the much bigger problem is annoying people, not going unnoticed.

I do sometimes get compliments, but I am more concerned about not inconveniencing other people.

I wear fragrance 90% for my own experience, and I realize that there are people out there with different priorities... and even some who hate ANY kind of fragrance, either idiosyncratically or - rarely - even because of objective medical reasons.

They are not the enemy.

Although I agree with the advice of making out with your co-workers ;-) I'd also like to say that JBL may be right in that people may notice but not mention it to you. I hugged a woman at work one morning and she later said that she caught whiffs of me all morning and it was very pleasant. Another female co-worker immediately agreed, so people sometimes notice and appreciate, but in our culture, it may seem too personal to comment on someone's smell.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 14th July 2010 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree.
    +2. People are probably noticing, just choosing to not say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    +2. People are probably noticing, just choosing to not say anything.
    +3

Xiton, many of us in here wear many scents all the time, and people commenting on them is not a regular occurrence. I wear over 50 different scents, some of them quite loud, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of comments- positive or negative- I've gotten on them at work in several years. It's an uncomfortable thing for many people to bring up.

There are very few people with whom I would feel comfortable commenting on their scent. At times when I have, the people who I ask often become very unsettled.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 14th July 2010 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    +3

Xiton, many of us in here wear many scents all the time, and people commenting on them is not a regular occurrence. I wear over 50 different scents, some of them quite loud, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of comments- positive or negative- I've gotten on them at work in several years. It's an uncomfortable thing for many people to bring up.

There are very few people with whom I would feel comfortable commenting on their scent. At times when I have, the people who I ask often become very unsettled.
    This is very true. I cannot emphasize this enough, since so many today lack social conscience. Like loud talking, cursing, and obscene language, comments on men's perfume are to be avoided. That some men look for them at all shows the general social disorientation these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmo
    Like loud talking, cursing, and obscene language, comments on men's perfume are to be avoided. That some men look for them at all shows the general social disorientation these days.
    I think it has a lot to do with your work environment and how friendly/casual you are with your coworkers. I work in a restaurant among a fairly young group, and we're all on friendly terms with each other and are comfortable talking about anything and everything. I have no qualms mentioning to so-and-so that the cologne or body spray he's wearing smells good; likewise, I get compliments from guys (and girls) left and right when I wear a particularly noticeable (read: sillage monster) fragrance, and even sometimes when I don't (one guy in particular comments even when I wear something fairly quiet that I myself can barely detect...and no, he's not hitting on me). If I worked in a more formal, "typical" office environment, that level of comfort might be different.

But yeah, if you're really dying for comments, give Joop! a try. That stuff can be detected across parking lots.

Blog Entries

I wear some really nice fragrances, but the others base noters are correct, most people register the scent you are wearing but say nothing. The only time I get any compliments is when I wear Mitsouko and the compliments usually come from women.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 14th July 2010 at 05:23 AM.

Basenotes Institution

N_Tesla is lucky- I wore Mitsouko for several years and never got ONE compliment - not even a remark- and it was the vintage stuff before it became 'vintage' . ( My sister is excluded because she hates Mitsy anyhow. ) Then recently someone thought it was mouthwash I smelt of....... *LOL*

I wouldn't be too worried- like everyone else has said- the people around probably expect you to wear fragrance and register it as such but say nothing.
    As Primrose said- wear scent for yourself.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 14th July 2010 at 05:27 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I prefer to go unnoticed

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    Wouldn't it be strange if we were constantly telling each other that he or she smells good?
    It would be awesome!
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

+6

I never ever got compliment on fragrance from strangers.

My sister compliments me, my mother compliments me when I get something new that she likes, my ex-girlfriends complimented me, my best friend also says sometime that I smell good but thats it.

In my office nobody ever commented my fragrance. Only when they saw me reapplying it before going home and once when I wore Rochas man, collegue said that something smells here like old trash and opened window.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    I think it has a lot to do with your work environment and how friendly/casual you are with your coworkers. I work in a restaurant among a fairly young group, and we're all on friendly terms with each other and are comfortable talking about anything and everything. I have no qualms mentioning to so-and-so that the cologne or body spray he's wearing smells good; likewise, I get compliments from guys (and girls) left and right when I wear a particularly noticeable (read: sillage monster) fragrance, and even sometimes when I don't (one guy in particular comments even when I wear something fairly quiet that I myself can barely detect...and no, he's not hitting on me). If I worked in a more formal, "typical" office environment, that level of comfort might be different.

But yeah, if you're really dying for comments, give Joop! a try. That stuff can be detected across parking lots.
    I doubt whether many of the girls at your workplace would compliment a grown man on his fragrance; they probably find you fairly harmless, or if you are lucky, wish you would take them out. I understand men complimenting men on their fragrances about as much as I understand skinny blue jeans and pink golf shirts (though I think they are somehow related).

I`m sure they can notice it. It`s only your own nose that get used to the scent through the day. -But you can always try 8-10 sprays of Nasomatto Duro, and see how they react..

I wear six sprays at least from a big bottle. And I've noticed that sprays from sample bottles tend to be a lot tinier. You might need 9 or 10 sprays from a sample bottle to get a good effect.
    Regards,
    Renato

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    +3
    My experience as well... with Basenoters as the exception - they are indeed an odd but interesting lot. LOL.

Blog Entries

I really don't understand the insecurity and fear behind complimenting/asking about fragrances. The general public wears them for that very reason, yet to ask someone is this profound, unsettling, emotionally distressing experience...? Contradictions don't taste good...

I agree that most people in a work environment do not feel comfortable commenting on another persons fragrance but that doesn't mean they don't smell it. I know I feel this way - I usually would never say anything unless I knew the person extremely well. I finally got a fragrance dialogue going with an office coworker who always wore patchouli oil. One day I brought her several decants of various niche patchouli fragrances to try out and explained the differences. She began commenting on her opinions on each fragrance that I would wear (mostly incense fragrances), she had very well formed views on fragrance, but was just never invited to express herself about what she was smelling. I learned a lot about others perceptions of fragrance from our discussions on it. I work in an environment where many of the people are artists or who work in creative pursuits so this strategy might not work in a business setting that is more traditional.

Fragrance is just not something that most co workers discuss with each other - so you have to open the door to the discussion sometimes.

Once I said to a guy "That's a nice perfume you're wearing. What is it?" on a two minute elevator ride, when we were alone.
    Inconceivable over there I presume.

Most probably wouldn't comment as others have noted whether due to the fact that it could be construed as an inappropriate comment or fear of some other social/negative connotation. They probably think it, but just won't say it. I got told how nice I smelled the other day when I was wearing Play Intense. This was a day when I got cocky and applied 5 sprays. First and foremost, no one can compliment if they can't smell it. In the past, I'd always wear one spray and its no wonder that a female friend suggested that I try wearing cologne when, I was wearing one spray that day lol
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    My experience as well... with Basenoters as the exception - they are indeed an odd but interesting lot. LOL.
    Yes, Diamondflame, we ARE an interesting lot!

Commenting a stranger on clothing is quite personal, and perhaps commenting on one's fragrance even more so. Comments can be so hard to take these days, as noted, as someone might take it as TOO personal or intimate.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    I really don't understand the insecurity and fear behind complimenting/asking about fragrances. The general public wears them for that very reason, yet to ask someone is this profound, unsettling, emotionally distressing experience...? Contradictions don't taste good...
    For me personally, there are a lot of reasons to wear fragrance, but certainly not to garner compliments, especially not from men and certainly not from total strangers.

The original poster was certain a co-worker would say something if they liked or disliked it. The possibilities that first come to mind are:

1.) They have higher priorities on their mind. Solution: look for the lull in work before expecting anything.
    2.) Apply more or apply just before being around others.
    3.) Maybe the fragrances aren't working for you positively OR negatively. Try something else.

Try not to offend the most, but always please yourself.

Cool Re: Going Unnoticed

+7

And it could be worse.

Wait until the day comes when you try a sample of what turns out to be cheap synthetic crap and then you get complimented!

Cry me a River,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Only time I ever got complimented at work on a scent was after I had peeled a few tangerines for a snack.

Thank you all for the replies. I didn't expect this topic to be as popular as it is! I definitely do and will continue to wear fragrances for myself. I also have to say it's been a lot of fun learning and trying out new things from day to day! I'll continue to do this and just see if anything happens in the future. If not, no big deal...but I will admit it would be fun.

Take it from me: people notice. As I've shaved a few times on here, I had a co-worker tell me that when she went out with some of the girls at the office, one of them commented that I always smell good, and then atleast two others co-signed her on that. It was interesting, because none of these women EVER said anything to me personally. So just know that people do notice. Yeah, compliments are great, but you just have to be satisfied knowing that you smell good, and believing that surely others notice.

I totally get what you're saying. The ones you mention are all very nice, but not particularly bold or unusual. For me, Terre d'Hermes is a huge compliment-getter, as is Giorgio For Men. My point is that maybe you should try something with a bit more bite. Just a suggestion.

Sometimes I can`t notice enyting on myselves. Then a custumer open the door and walk in the room. She said: "Damn! What smell soo good?!" I was very surprised that my scent actually filled the hole room, when I couldn`t notice it at all..

The guy behind me in line at Target was wearing Tam Dao and logistically I didn't have the opportunity to give him props.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    Once I said to a guy "That's a nice perfume you're wearing. What is it?" on a two minute elevator ride, when we were alone.
    Inconceivable over there I presume.
    Possibly at least partly a cultural question, yes. I compliment people on their choice of fragrance if it doesn't seem too unsuitable given the context. I try to compliment people in general, when something really stands out. Receiving an honestly meant compliment can make me a little happier for days, I'm sure the vast majority of people feel the same, and I want people with great taste to feel good about themselves, especially someone who makes bold, brave and unusual choices. Personally, I usually find it easy to tell whether it's simply a case of honest appreciation, or delivered with ulterior motives.

That said, I hardly ever get complimented on my fragrance, other than by close friends who know about (or share) my passion for perfume, but I get complimented on my clothes fairly often, even by passing strangers, and I compliment people on clothes a lot more often than I comment someone's perfume. I do think that fragrance is perceived as more personal and intimate, and it's also not that often I get close enough to people to really form an opinion on the perfume they're wearing. Few people have big sillage here, I suppose, and when they do it's usually Pink Sugar, Angel, Le MÔle or something else that doesn't seem like enough of a conscious statement to comment on. (I did recently compliment an acquaintance with a delicious sillage that turned out to be Alien, to my surprise!)

"The samples I've tried so far have been YSL, GIT, and L'Eau Par Kenzo PH."

Hi! The scents that you are wearing are subtle, low sillage affairs. You might get a compliment if you get close to someone...which might not be advisable at a workplace

However, if you want attention, you could always try A-Men or Kouros with 3 sprays. It definately will get you attention.

I only get comments from my wife. And she's usually telling me that I smell like an old man...

+8 "People are probably noticing, just choosing to not say anything."

The fragrance that gave me the bests compliments was Allure Homme Sport, by far