Code of Conduct

Default Best MANLY Home Fragrance Products

So I'm currently looking for a new sexy, manly scent for my bedroom and the rest of my house. So far most of the home fragrance stuff I've come across is rather Jasmine-y or Floral Bouquet-y or Vanilla-y...nice scents, but not particularly for a guy's home. I was looking for maybe more of a sandalwood, vetiver, or otherwise woodsy, masculing scent, preferably in the form of a REED DIFFUSER, as I think they look pretty stylish.

Was wondering if anyone has come across any really good or interesting reed diffuser, candle or room spray that carries a manly scent. The best I've used so far, by the way, is a Henri Bendel Firewood candle from Bed Bath and Beyond. It's a great one, if you're looking for something, but again I am looking for something more like a reed diffuser currently. Thanks for all your help!
    I put the FUME in perFUME!

Default Re: Best MANLY Home Fragrance Products

Dyptique has a scented amber ball...
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Diptyque Essence of John Galliano. The name is a bit ew, but the scent is bold and smoky. Available as a candle and a spray, or at least it was several years ago, Diptyque seems to be distincontinuing all their best stuff lately.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Blog Entries

Saint Parfum is a line of candles and diffusers they sell at Barneys. They have one called Pour Homme that smells like a big spicy mossy 80's power-frag. I had the candle, which was very strong, but it's available in a diffuser, too.

http://www.barneys.com/Pour%20Homme/...efault,pd.html

If you're anywhere near a Barneys, they seem to have a special every couple of months where you buy a diffuser and get a free candle, which helps make up for them being so expensive...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Maitre's Bois Moussu room spray is extremely masculine, very green/mossy/woody.

Midsummers Night from Yankee candle - famously for me
    Invisible Power

Cigars are famous for giving your home a manly smell.

Palo Santo wood smells great, is cheap, and fun to burn. The fragrance ingredient Guaiacwood comes from Palo Santo. Sometimes they send the burning sticks out before they're ready. They need to be aged properly to smell and burn their best.

http://www.shamansmarket.com/-strse-...ick/Detail.bok
    Last edited by pluran; 19th August 2010 at 01:10 AM.

Banned

Great suggestions above. I would add Ernesto from Cire Trudon.

Malin and Goetz make a candle called "Cannabis" that smells divine and would be perfect for scenting a man's living space. (It doesn't actually smell like cannabis--just smells of figs and spice on a bed of patchouli.)

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalo...le-_-n-_-n-_-n

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    lmaooooooooo that was good i got a god laugh out of that one.

I love Voluspa, especially their Baltic Amber, I've got quite a few compliments from ladies I know for how my apartment smelt after using the candle/spray, I haven't tried any of their reed diffusers but they carry them. Dyptique carry quite complex home fragrances that could be easily considered manly, but they're too weak for the price.

Generally, any home fragrance more than a cheap drugstore spray is going to make people question your manliness. Who cares though, my favorite brand for home fragrances (candles mainly) is probably seda france, their clementine and Sugar Blossom Lime are just WOW, I wish there was a perfume that smelled like them. Their Kashmere candle is less feminine and also great. They have reed diffusers but not in any of their scents that I enjoy.

There's also the world of home-made candles, but that's a whole world to dig into. I'd consider Voluspa and Seda France to be safe brands to start with. I personally don't like reed diffusers, despite their good looks, unless you like your place to be warm, they hardly project any fragrance. I got Caramel by Archipelago which I keep in my bathroom and it barely does that job, it's yummy though and girls like it. To think about it, I don't know why all the ladies I know who have been to my place made manliness-questioning remarks about my fragrance hobby, especially the home fragrance part, when they were going to give me compliments and try to steal some of my stuff 2 minutes later -.-

Quote Originally Posted by laurent View Post
    Midsummers Night from Yankee candle - famously for me
    I'll second this.

ha! this question comes up all the time, in my job. i work in interior design and we have ridiculously wealthy clients who basically throw hundreds of thousands of dollars at us to design their homes.

it's just coincidence, but for some reason we are working on 3 different bachelor pads and our about to completely finish the spaces, and we definitely include scent in the design.

we're not a huge fan of reed diffusers. most of them have a kind of 2003 look to them, and the cheap vases are kind of tacky.

sometimes we use room sprays. some favorites of ours include Jo Malone Napa Leather, Santa Maria Novella Invierno & Autumno and Hotel Costes.

we mostly use candles though, because they visually add warmth to a room (and literally, ha). on the high end we use Malin & Goetz, CDG and Diptyque -

..... mostly Diptyque - and the ones we use the most are Chene, Coriander, John Galliano, Cannelle, Fenouil Sauvage, Oyedo and Santal.

The great thing about Diptyque is that their candles strike a very fine balance between room scent and personal fragrance - the ones listed above could work as either. whereas, a lot of other fragrance candles smell like they should strictly be room fragrance.

now if your like me, and you only get to live your scented candle dreams through your clients, but can't necessarily afford them for yourself all the time, i've found Voluspa to be a really great value for your money. they are very natural smelling and incredibly strong - plus the packaging is pretty nice and lush. for around $30 you can get a 120 hour burn candle. my fave scents are Golden Cypress Sawara, Suede Blanc, Mandarino Canella, Warm Perique Tabac and Amber Luminiere.

hope that helps!

Bibliotheque by Byredo in the candle. Smells like a library with leather chairs.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Exactly what I was going to say.

The CdG candles are great, and give off some fragrance even if they're not lit.

Quote Originally Posted by Caoimhin View Post
    I'll second this.
    Third. It's like a cross between Drakkar Noir and the original Calvin.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Diptyque Essence of John Galliano. The name is a bit ew, but the scent is bold and smoky. Available as a candle and a spray, or at least it was several years ago, Diptyque seems to be distincontinuing all their best stuff lately.
    +1 on this. I knew someone who actually sprayed the room spray on themselves.

One of my favorites, and it is expensive, is Lorenzo Villoresi's scented wood bundle. It has been at least 6 years since I smelled it, but I recall it being outstanding, just too pricey for my budget.