Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dry Lips!

Default Dry Lips!

What do you use on your lips if they get dry? my lips get dry so soon. i use vaseline at home but i am hesitated to apply it on my lips while going to office? does not it look bad and so wet?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dry Lips!

I like Avon Moisture Therapy lip balm. Not waxy, no color, no flavor, SPF 15. I buy in quantity when they run a sale so they are cheap (99 cents or less) ; my husband and daughter use it too.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 14th July 2010 at 01:09 PM.

pure shea butter
    "While the king is at his table, my perfume fills the air with its fragrance." SoS 1:12

Basenotes Institution

I have a little pink pot of Korres Jasmine Lip Butter ( made with shea butter ) that is wonderful . It's from Sephora. Leaves a nice light sheen on your lips too .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I think vaseline doesn't look too greasy, though doesn't work so well for me anymore. I use Dr. Hauschka's Lip Care Stick but there is a large range of lip balms that will probably work as well for you and cost a lot less! Lots of people use unrefined (supposed to work better than refined) shea butter or jojoba oil. I like jojoba oil, not too oily looking as it's actually a wax and a good moisturiser for skin too.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift;
    that's why they call it the present."

I really like C.O. Bigelow's "My Favorite Lipbalm." It is moisturizing and not sticky. They also have a great lip scrub that I use. The products work really well together. You can find them at Bath & Body Works among other places.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

a lipscrub? really? is it just from that brand or can i get it from other brands too? im also in the need for some moisture for my lips!

i tried blistex but im outside most of the day so it blistex wasn't that good at all :-( im tend to have some kinda white'ish lines around my lips when they are really dry :-S its so weird and looks stupid

Yes, it's great! You put it on with your finger, scrub, and wipe off with a tissue. Garden Botanika has one that's more of a stick (like a lipstick tube) with the scrubbers in it. That one you scrub with the stick and it leaves behind moisturizers. I'm sure there are other brands as well.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

I like Avon Moisture Therapy lip balm. It is red in color and it is of strawberry flavor. By applying this lip balm my lips get red in color. It also contain SPF 15 which protect our lips from sunlight. I buy it from Avon agent. My sister also use it.

Banned

Try Elizabeth Arden's 8 hour cream. It's pretty universal - you can use it on dried out nails, too.
    The smell is a tad medicinal though.

Sleep with honey on your lips overnight, and try to avoid licking it off. Very good for healing dry & cracked lips. It has antiseptic & antibacterial properties, and it's also a natural humectant (attracts and retains moisture).

I use a toothbrush and vaseline, or a damp washcloth and vaseline, to exfoliate my lips. Then I use vaseline or a Burt's Bees lip balm. I have a few lip balms around, one in a couple of bags, one downstairs, one on my night table. If it's close to hand I use it, doesn't really matter what kind so much as remembering to use it.

p.s. I don't think vaseline looks bad or too wet. Just use a small amount and replenish when you need it. The nice thing about vaseline or any lip balm (as opposed to lip gloss) is it doesn't get all gacky in the corners of my lips. I hate that.

I love aquaphor for lips! Aquaphor is cheap and effective and really works wonders. In fact, I have my husband using it on his hands for his eczema and it helps to keep his eczema at bay.
    I also agree with taking a toothbrush and gently exfoliating your lips before bed and applying aquaphor. But you can use it any time of day as well. Give it a try- it really works well!

Blog Entries

I use a lot of bonne belle lip smackers and various tinted balms. I drink a lot of water so I don't tend to have dry lips very often.
    There are occassions when my lips become a bit dry or cracked though. For these occassions I've discovered a miracle cure.
    Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair Protective Recovery Complex. I still have about 3ml of a 15ml bottle I bought many years ago because now I only use it for my lips. Trust me, this stuff is amazing. It's not meant for lips but who cares right? You need one tiny drop and voila - lips fixed instantly no matter how cracked they are! It's so good it's almost peverse.
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D:

The thing with chapsticks etc they make them taste nice so you lick your lips and that makes them even drier.

You can use a toothbrush to scrub your lips and get rid of dried skin. Use a brand of balm that has no petrolum(sp) as that dries out the lips and is only really a barrier but you lick off again. Something that actually sinks in. Wearing lipstick and gloss actually dries out your lips too.

I use an organic balm which is for all over the body. Only use it on my lips after I clean my teeth, so twice a day.
    DONNA

Carmex works wonders. It says "For Cold Sores" but it works sooo good against winter coldness and wind. You can find it just about anywhere (Duane Reade, Walgreens, etc.).

+1 to the Carmex. It's "persistent" and contains lanolin which does soak in and moisturize/soften.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

For dry, cracked lips, and cuticles, the BEST solution that I have ever found is, YSL's lip balm. It was designed for both lips and cuticles, and it works tremendously well! I am a former makeup artist for YSL, so trust me, I have used it many of times, and continue to do so. This balm has also been recommended to be used on areas of the face that received cosmetic tattooing, such as the lips. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed!

I use Dr.Haushka lip balm at night and sometimes during the day, no petroleum products ever.

Elizabeth Arden - 8 hour cream. A permanent fixture in my make up bag. Used for dry lips, lipgloss, softening cuticles, elbows/knees/problem patches, sun/wind burn, post waxing... the list goes on! At £22 it seems a bit much for a lipbalm but it's so versatile and a little goes a VERY long way.

shea butter for every such thing.

Basenotes Plus

My daughter & her friends introduced me to EOS shea butter lip treatment. You can get it at Walgreens or CVS & it's not expensive at all. I've used all sorts of lip stuff & I like this the best. Not only has it completely gotten rid of chapped lips but it's also helped reduce the tiny lines I had around my lips. (Hated those!)
    It works perfectly under lipsticks too.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

FWIW, My girlfriend prefers Korres Lip butters (Pomegranate). I don't have any complaints!

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    My daughter & her friends introduced me to EOS shea butter lip treatment. You can get it at Walgreens or CVS & it's not expensive at all. I've used all sorts of lip stuff & I like this the best. Not only has it completely gotten rid of chapped lips but it's also helped reduce the tiny lines I had around my lips. (Hated those!)
    This!

I picked some of this up the other day because they were out of the kind I usually use, and it looked interesting. The only problem is the lemon tastes so good I want to lick my lips.

Well, one other problem......the EOS comes in a ball shaped container and my 9 month old labrador puppy is obsessive about balls so when I get it out where she sees it, she becomes convinced we are going to have a game of fetch :-)
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

This stuff is definately a winner

Lucas' Papaw Ointment is a world-wide proven remedy of over 100 years standing.

Lucas Papaw Ointment has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties and may be used as a local topical application on the following.

Minor Burns
    Chafing
    Cuts
    Gravel Rash
    Minor Open Wounds
    Nappy Rash
    Scalds
    Sunburn
    Splinters and Thorns

also:

Temporary relief of the symptoms of dermatitis and eczema

Papaw or Papaya we all know as a delicious fruit, but the beneficial qualities of Papaw greatly aid the skin.

Lucas Papaw Ointment is made in Australia from pure Australian papaws.

there's nothing better than natural coconut butter.

I think Chap Stick and Vaseline do more harm than good. They seal the lip so moisturr can't get out ... or IN.

Lately I've been using Bobbi Brown's lip balm (pricey but wotlrth every penny) and Carmex Moisture Plus (no tingle or camphor stink).
    My Top 10*:
    1. Bois des Iles (Chanel)
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    4. Miss Dior - vintage (Dior)
    5. Jolie Madame (Balmain)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)
    9. L'Air du Desert Moracain (Tauer)
    10. Medici - Italian Splendor: Florence (DSH)
    *in no particular order because it's too hard!

Save yourself some money. just use jojoba oil.

I sell Avon and their lip glosses & chapstick-things are great. I sell a lot of them, use them, can vouch for them.

But also I think that vaseline-at-night is a good method. Just scrub the lips with your toothbrush or a washcloth, apply vaseline or shea butter, then go to bed, and don't use anything on your lips in the daytime.

Because using something ALL the time works but it makes the lips stop making enough moisture on their own, so using it just at night (or just in the day) might actually work better...

I think G Man is on the right track... however, (somewhat tangentially) I discovered Burt's Bees Rescue Serum that is $18 for an oz. (I think it might have been here?) and use that morning and night on all chapped or dry areas, around the eyes, around the mouth, and massaged into the lips. It's a combination of oils (including jojoba, I believe as the main ingredient), with vitamins A, C, and E, and some other nice essential oils, rose attar, and beta carotene. It works on lines as well as dry skin and has been a godsend this winter. It goes a LONG way too.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    RHM, I bought some of this based on your recommendation the other day. For whatever reason, I woke up one morning about a month ago to chapped lips. The last time this happened, which was three years ago, the only product that helped was Chapstick, so I swapped my Burt's Bees out for some. But the Chapstick wasn't cutting it this time (although it still felt better going on.) My lips hurt soo bad, I'd wake up and have to like, slather it on, they'd be so dry. Then they'd get all flaky and gross, and raw! I couldn't wear any lipstick, but my lips were such a screaming red that that didn't matter much. Then my corners started cracking and I was feeling pretty gnarly for a while. So it was a liberal layer of vaseline at night and chapstick all day long, but my lips weren't getting better and I was seriously at my wit's end. But this EOS stuff started repairing immediately. I bought some on my lunch break earlier this week, and I could tell a difference that night, and like, three days later they're almost completely healed. Testify! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    there's nothing better than natural coconut butter.
    Coconut oil is the first listed ingredient in EOS, so I might have to agree with you! The label says 100% natural and certified organic, and while I usually don't buy into those claims as having much merit, I do think that had something to do with how fast my lips have healed.

Quote Originally Posted by claresauntie View Post
    I think Chap Stick and Vaseline do more harm than good. They seal the lip so moisturr can't get out ... or IN.
    You might be right! Neither helped me any; both were just a quick fix that did nothing to heal.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimeec812 View Post
    Carmex works wonders. It says "For Cold Sores" but it works sooo good against winter coldness and wind. You can find it just about anywhere (Duane Reade, Walgreens, etc.).
    I found Carmex to be a lip saver when I skied, particularly when I skied above 7k feet in the much dryer, colder air.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

If you like DIY stuff, the Texas Honey Company has a bunch of recipes.
    http://www.texasdrone.com/Recipes/Li.../lip_balms.htm

I literally just finished making my own (not their recipe but good stuff) with bees wax, coco butter, menthol, camphor, cajeput, eucalyptus, clove and cardamom.
    "You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one." James A. Froude

I use chapstick and vaseline on my lips. It's been years since I started using both products and it keeps my lips soft and moisturized.

Trying out 'Burts Bees' lip balm, this stuff is good, but I'm a huge fan of Burts Bee's products, thanks to (Actialuthe) I'll try the BB's rescue serum next. I'm loving the BB's Radiance body lotion with royal jelly.

I have psycho lips... and I tend to get those cracks at the corner of my mouth when winter approaches. Otherwise they're always dry and peeling, so I've tried everything.
    Jo Malone does a Vitamin E balm for the lip that is wonderful. When I put it on before, I wake up with transformed lips. I save it for emergencies.
    Jack Black balms are amaaazing. I have to carry one in my purse. It hydrates and lasts and doesn't feel icky, sticky or taste funny. The one I have is minty and it feels great. It just works wonders.
    Aquaphor is the gold standard for the extremely chapped. I put this on the corners of my lips to heal the cracks when they appear and it's truly a lifesaver. It's a bit uncomfortable for the whole lip for me, though, because it is quite thick.

All my most effective lip balms were discontinued about a year ago. Now after some testing and trying out I'm quite happy with the Guerlain Lip Balm, which also comes at a reasonable price.

chapstick and vaseline too
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Basenotes Plus

@Sunnyfunny, I'm glad you enjoy the EOS. I'm still loving what it does for my lips & my wallet. My favorite is the sweet mint. My daughter's favorite is the lemon, with honeydew melon being a close second. I'm on the lookout for the elusive tangerine one. The kitty cat loves to bat them around, so we have to remember to put them away in the dresser drawer or Bella bounces them down the stairs.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I like the lemon one.

Unfortunately, so did Daisy the wonder lab pup. I think she thought it looked too much like her beloved tennis balls.

The new tube lives in a drawer LOL
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

RHM & jzzbassman, I like the vanilla the best. I haven't seen tangerine anywhere. My cat likes to get my attention in the morning by batting my various lipstuffs off my nightstand, but she's left my EOS stuff alone. I'd put them all in the drawer, but I'm lazy and would rather yell at my Sal Pal for knocking things off. lol. She'll learn one of these days.

Use Lip balm daily..and also apply milk cream to your lips before sleeping .

Thumbs up Re: Dry Lips!

I found the best thing for dry lips was a a lip scrub and lip balm by a young brand called Blyths..... It was so easy to use and left my lips looking super moist, luscious and definately plumped. I didnt even needed to apply lip gloss or lip stick afterwards as my lips looked like they already had colour on them...

Smiths Rosebud Minted Rose Salve. Can't live with out it. I have this really nasty habit of biting my lip and it helps immensely.

Nuxe Reve de Miel is the best thing that ever happened to my lips. It's not sticky or shiny, no petrolatum, only beeswax. I hate shiny lips, it makes people look like they're drooling...

My lips only get dry during the winter months. Simply use a little lip balm in the morning and if needed reapply.

Try: Avene Cold Cream Lip Cream: www.aveneusa.com/cold-cream-lip-cream/

I use Carmex too, but prefer their Strawberry / Cherry flavours.

I use Lancôme Nutrix Lèvres Stick. OK, it is expensive, but it is fantastic!
    Last edited by Margareta; 1st October 2011 at 06:54 PM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Quote Originally Posted by l'ida View Post
    Nuxe Reve de Miel is the best thing that ever happened to my lips. It's not sticky or shiny, no petrolatum, only beeswax.
    +1.
    I can't rave about this enough. It not only soothes dry and chapped lips, but actually seems to re-hydrate them too. The only lip product I've found that really works for me. It's somewhat pricey, but hey ho. The little frosted-glass pot is nice, too.

Nuxe salve (the tube) is very moisturizing and healing...I really like Clinique superbalm as well. Both formulae work very well, neither encourages the constant reapplication or worrying off that a lot of flavoured products do.

Balea grapefruit lip balm

Quote Originally Posted by l'ida View Post
    Nuxe Reve de Miel is the best thing that ever happened to my lips. It's not sticky or shiny, no petrolatum, only beeswax. I hate shiny lips, it makes people look like they're drooling...
    Hehe.

+1 on Nuxe.
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Lucas papaw ointment and YSL lip, hand and nails balm are the best for me.

I've used Ganache for Lips for several years. The flavors contain actual chocolate, vanilla, coffee, etc.

I'd also add REN Mayday Mayday Resque Balm and EOS lip balms
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Hey,dry lips are not good for the personality so we should be take care of the lips.Mostly dry lips problem in the
    winter season so different people like the different tips for lips care but mostly i like the butter and vaseline
    for the dry lips.

Brienshamp Boot Camp
    Last edited by Acton; 4th January 2014 at 11:12 AM.
    Brien shamp
    248 Harbor Blvd, Belmont, CA 94002, United States
    +1 650-654-4604

I'm currently using Derma Intensive + Aloe Vera lip balm, and that seems to be much better! Also, ordinary Nivea lip balm is good.