Code of Conduct

Default I thought I may have been duped (Ruehl No. 925)

(*EDIT* Title changed to reflect my later posts)

I never thought I'd start one of these threads, but I think I've been had and I wanted to just verify with you guys.

I bought a bottle of Ruehl No. 925 from eBay at a very good price (apparently TOO good) and just received it.

Long story short: the juice is green (not light brown as seen on the Ruehl website) AND it smells like Richard James Saville Row laced with some woody elements.

Here's a pic:

I know that not a lot of people have this fragrance, so to the few that do -- have I been screwed? All of the evidence points to the affirmative, but who knows?

The bottle does not really appear to be tampered with at all. The cap with built-in sprayer does turn, but it doesn't feel like it would come off easily.

I even called the store to ask what color the liquid is and they confirmed it's light brown.

I guess I am definitely going to have to finally go to Glendale, CA and check it out.

The thing is, this stuff smells pretty good. I wonder if it is Saville Row mixed with left over No. 925??

Thanks!
    Last edited by atrac; 24th July 2008 at 06:12 AM.

Default Re: I think I've been duped (Ruehl No. 925)

I'm sure it's real... sometimes colors on those type of pics portray them differently. I doubt a mainstream designer scent without a huge market would be faked.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Sur la Plage

I've never seen it that color.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: I thought I may have been duped (Ruehl No. 925)

I had emailed the seller earlier and asked about the color. He said that he ran into the same store he bought it from later and checked the bottles -- he says it really is that color.

I don't have any reason to disbelieve him. He's good got feedback and doesn't seem to be selling any more of them. There is a possibility that they changed the color on newer stock (so as not to confuse it with the R-7 perhaps?? The bottle designs for both are VERY similar).

This was a blind-buy for me and whatever this is -- I really like it. I'm not going to fuss about it. I'll just check it out when I eventually drag my butt over to the Glendale store.

So my "official" word on Ruehl No.925 is "I like it a lot and the top notes kind of remind me of Richard James Saville Row EDT."
    Last edited by atrac; 24th July 2008 at 06:13 AM.

I def. never saw it that color before... here's a pic from the website.

http://www.ruehl.com/ruh/index.html#.../13961/373330/

I actually called the store where the guy told me he bought it from and asked if they were selling green Ruehl No. 925. The employee told me that he's noticed the bottles they have left out and exposed to light have changed from brown to green.

I suppose that sounds feasible...maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    I actually called the store where the guy told me he bought it from and asked if they were selling green Ruehl No. 925. The employee told me that he's noticed the bottles they have left out and exposed to light have changed from brown to green.

So the guy on eBay sold you a stolen tester ? lol

I was thinking that he had his bottle for a while as well, left out in the light...changing it to green.

Does anyone know of other frags that change color so much if left in the light, as this one might have done?

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I'm sure it's real... sometimes colors on those type of pics portray them differently. I doubt a mainstream designer scent without a huge market would be faked.
    I just did a google image search for "Ruehl No.925 cologne" and the pics that did show where brown...your baby head shows up too.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I just did a google image search for "Ruehl No.925 cologne" and the pics that did show where brown...your baby head shows up too.
    LOL!!! You're right! So weird!!!

Blog Entries

...LMAO...

You and that baby that likes cologne really get around, Atrac!

Blog Entries

I don't know - it just doesn't look right. Check out the metal. Unless this is simply a lighting phenomenon, it looks like a substantial difference to me. I was seeing smaller differences get nailed as fakes on the purse boards when I checked out some of their authentication threads.

I'm not sure if "store-bought" is as much of a defense as it used to be. The logical thing for counterfeiters to do is simply to move up the supply chain. Turn a wholesaler, and you've got a legion of store owners swearing it's the real McCoy. Works for knock-off pharmaceuticals...

Yes, frags can change colors. I might even expect it more with niche and small designer, where legions of fragrance formulators aren't doing QC on light stability. But, quite frankly, it still burns me up that somebody would pawn off a sun-bleached perfume without labeling it as such. And my money still says it's a fake. Sorry, Atrac.

Maybe we should do a poll on the side-by-side photos.

One of the pictures that comes up in Google image search is this one:

It looks closer to my bottle and by the color looks like it is starting to bleach as well.

For what it's worth, the Antidote advertising shows the bottles as such:

but the reality of their color is this:

So in regards to the picture from the website, they very well may have 'dressed it up' a bit for marketing purposes.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 25th July 2008 at 06:42 AM.

Now this one I can't explain at all:

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

...LMAO...

You and that baby that likes cologne really get around, Atrac!
    What is funny is when I first wrote above I was laughing at jrd4t's baby head and didn't even notice atrac's pic at first. That's great!!
    Last edited by ToughCool; 25th July 2008 at 12:13 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

The employee told me that he's noticed the bottles they have left out and exposed to light have changed from brown to green.

This is true also for scents like Angel that tend to shift from a purple-blue to a muddy brown with excessive light interference.
    Lets hope the exposure to light hasn't compromised the nature of the juice itself.

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 25th July 2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added image link

Now this one I can't explain at all:

(sorry, couldn't resist)
    That pic just looks like a photo negative of the pic from the website.

But yeah, the stuff you actually buy isn't a deep amber color like they show in the pic on the website. My bottle was in between the websites pic and that google'd image and mine had the 'Ruehl No. 925' on the bottle like it shows on the website too, I don't know what to tell ya..
    Last edited by 1280adam; 25th July 2008 at 03:40 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm starting to come around to the idea that it's just a bleached bottle. Not only are the pics you guys are showing me rather convincing (well, not counting that blue one! ) - I was doing some reading today on the phenomenon, and it sounds like both the fragrance and the dyes of fine frags are quite susceptible to light damage. The idea that a smaller maker would have an easily bleachable frag based on that knowledge is very compelling. Plus, the metal in the google example from atrac is a good match for what he got, and the color and the packaging look good (apart from mild bleaching, also supporting the case). So I'm going to favor the idea that it's just a bleached bottle.

If somebody wants to help prove this, and has some of the brown juice, just stick a little bit in a sealed vial and put it out in the sun, or next to a fluorescent light, for a few days. Before and after pix should prove that it goes to green.

Default Re: I thought I may have been duped (Ruehl No. 925) HERE IS YOUR ANSWER.

I've been looking for this cologne for a long time. I was working security for a Ruehl that opened in Austin, Texas a short time before this store closed down. ...Aaaannnd stupidly never bought any of the cologne. Now I want it badly. Anyways, I know this post is old, but I figured other people might be interested to find out that you in fact have been duped because, it means that there is an affordable, and a reliably available equivalent! Here is a link to the cologne that was filled in your jar: http://www.getprice.com.au/Yves-Sain...pms_283--28487 . The cologne is called Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, and apparently is the equivalent to Ruehl No.925 Signature. Hey and guess what?? ...It's GREEN.

Cheers everyone.

not necessarily, actually the frag appears green under florescent light.

but this frag sucks. it smells nice but the longevity dies after an hour or two.

Oh well. Thought I had it figured out. Hope I can still manage to find an equiv of Ruehl.

check out the aftunes.net forums, it's where a lot of a&f hardcores post, and I know many of them bought up the recent supplies en mass that were available on the a&f site when Ruehl shut down. There were rumors that bottles were on sale at A&F's flagship location on 5th Avenue in NYC if that's anywhere near you, but that's totally an unconfirmed rumor.