Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which Fragrance Do You Recommend Most?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce

12 36.36%
  • Diesel Fuel for Life

9 27.27%
  • Davidoff Cool Water

12 36.36%
  • Hollister Jake

0 0%

Question Fierce vs. Fuel for Life vs. Cool Water vs. Jake (Best Bang for the Buck)

Hey guys, a little background here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...igh-School-Boy

I'm 16 and looking for a moderately priced fragrance that will BOTH appeal to me and girls my age range. If you read the thread I linked above, you can sense my preferences a bit but just to summarize, so far I really like woods. I love my bottle of Terre D' Hermes, I even like my dad's powerhouse Van Cleef pour Homme which most guys my age would be afraid to touch. Unfortunately, these types of fragrances do not generally appeal to girls in my age group. I never seem to get any compliments from either and they tend to draw the weirdest comments.

I dislike synthetic aquatics. They all smell roughly the same to me and tend to irritate my nose. I also dislike heavy gourmands like Le Male or A*Men. Those do not necessarily smell "bad" but rather just weird, warm and sweaty. I'm not sure if you guys understand where I'm coming from but that's how gourmands feel like to me. Maybe I'll learn to appreciate them in time.

Despite my general dislike of aquatics, I'm looking into Cool Water because I heard it was like the "AK-47" of colognes. People say that it's basically a GIT clone so I'm expecting more natural notes in comparison to say.. Versace Man Eau Fraiche which gave me a headache on first sniff. General consensus states it's very popular among the ladies and its price really appeals to me.

The one cologne that really looks good on paper in my eyes in Diesel's Fuel for Life. For whatever reason, when I look at its notes I imagine a raspberry version of Terre D' Hermes which I really love. It's certainly marketed towards my age group, I'm just iffy on it's appeal. From my experience, girls tend to like more citrusy and/or aquatic fragrances like Abercrombie Fierce. I'm not sure how they will react to this raspberry/woods concoction.

Good longevity and sillage is a must for me. I don't like my scents sticking too close to the skin (like Armani Code), I like it to project a little bit. Colognes do not generally last long on my skin so I tend to look for stronger fragrances, even three sprays of Terre D' Hermes (1 neck, 2 chest) can stick really close to my skin after only 1 hour.

I have $60 right now, I'm looking to buy either Fierce, Cool Water, Fuel for Life, or Hollister Jake. Fierce would have been a front runner had it not been for it's ridiculous price tag. What do you guys think, is it worth $44 for a 1 oz bottle of this stuff?

I like Cool Water's supposed appeal and low price, I'm iffy about how I'll feel towards this aquatic though. Hopefully it will have a more green and less aquatic feel to it.

Fuel for Life is my favorite on paper but I'm not sure if the girls will like this as much as Fierce.

I'm putting Jake out there as like a wild card. I heard that longevity and sillage is kinda iffy on this one. However, I do like this scent and I know many girls do as well. Just wondering if you think it's worth the price ($30 for 1 oz)

I'm hoping that you guys could help me choose the best bang for the buck (price, scent appeal for me, scent appeal for high school girls). I've did a lot of research and received tons of recommendations. I chose these four because they're almost specifically targeted towards my age group. They're also mentioned a lot on this page: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/212...le-compliments (with the exception of Jake which I considered from personal experience).

Thanks very much for the help guys!
    Last edited by Matahari; 15th July 2010 at 01:58 AM.

Default Re: Fierce vs. Fuel for Life vs. Cool Water vs. Jake (Best Bang for Buck)

Cool Water is a reliable fragrance. I keep a bottle on my dresser and probably always will. It's way ahead of the others you listed.

Default Re: Fierce vs. Fuel for Life vs. Cool Water vs. Jake (Best Bang for Buck)

Cool Water is a good choice... Great smell and inexpensive now days.

Default Re: Fierce vs. Fuel for Life vs. Cool Water vs. Jake (Best Bang for the Buck)

Does Cool Water smell like Acqua di Gio at all?
    Last edited by Matahari; 15th July 2010 at 02:07 AM.

Default Re: Fierce vs. Fuel for Life vs. Cool Water vs. Jake (Best Bang for the Buck)

Of the choices, Fierce is my favorite by a fair margin, however it is incredibly common and some people don't like that. Fuel for Life is also very good and definitely a less common, and would be my suggestion if the popularity of Fierce bothers you. I'm not a big Cool Water fan but that's largely because the two times I sampled it it smelt very sour on my skin, which could either be my skin chemistry or just old testers that had gone bad. Can't comment on Jake as I've never smelt it.

I probably haven't helped much, but that's my .02

Cool Water is everywhere. A nice everyday scent...if you want to smell like every other young man your age.

Avoid Fierce for the same reasons above. It is seemingly everywhere...

I would go with Fuel for Life for Men. A slightly fruity and sweet scent and very pleasant. The Diesel has good sillage.
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th July 2010 at 02:32 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Matahari View Post
    No, they are very different.

Cool water imo, has been pretty nice. My ex girlfriend actually thought it smelled pretty good on me (she doesn't usually like cologne) and its really cheap. on me i get a soapy aquatic with a lot of lavender. Its like a sweet floral soapy aquatic on me! haha

Fierce well, i know my ex liked the smell of the clothes. I use Ungaro III which imo is a more classy complex version of fierce, they have similar notes if you compare them. Unfortunatley after a few hours, Ungaro III dries down on me to what smells like fierce. But girls still go wild

Of the ones you mentioned I enjoy Fierce the most however it's probably too common for high schoolers. Fuel for Life is OK but the problem with it is it has incredible longevity and projection. There is no way I would wear it during spring and summer. Not to mention it can drive your nose crazy. Fall and Winter only. They do have a summer version of it though. Cool Water is the best of the bunch. Check out Versace Eau Fraiche also you can test it at Macy's. Really good spring/summer fragrance. The dominant note is Star Fruit which I love.

I think that Fierce might be less common that you think, reason being it's price. It's $40 for a 1 oz. bottle of this stuff, I bought my Armani Code and TdH for less. Most teenage guys with $60 would spend it on video games and other clothing items instead.

The Fierce popularity is probably more prevalent in college when guys actually start getting jobs. That being said, girls could probably tell if someone's wearing Fierce because A&F spray it all over the stores. I'm not sure if being associated with that store is a good thing.

What's prevalent in high school however are body sprays and cheaper aquatics/drug store fragrances. I know my buddy has a collection of these random body sprays from Axe/American Eagle and a bottle of Nautica Blue that always receives compliments for whatever reason. Guys don't really sample either and most never heard of Cool Water. Unless it smells similar to many run of the mill aquatics, I don't think it will smell too unoriginal.

That's just what I'm thinking right now. Like I said, I think that most guys use body sprays or cheaper, run of the mill aquatics/citruses; I know another friend that uses curve. I'm not too worried about being unoriginal as much as I am judging the quality, price, and appeal of the scent. I'm still debating if Fierce is worth the price.
    Last edited by Matahari; 15th July 2010 at 04:55 PM.

I haven't tried Jake or Fierce, but being that they're preppy mall store frags.. they probably smell too cloying, or highly synthetic. So I'm in no rush to try them. So Cool Water and FFL, well, I own them both. But, I do enjoy Cool Water the most, it's the more mature of the 2, and very versatile. FFL is quite good imo as well, but doesn't get much love here on BN. I think it's very well made too. Typically when you put on something that smells like that, ya think "this isn't gonna last very long" but FFL has fantastic longevity.. at least 8 hours most of the time for me, which is just as good as CW.

Quote Originally Posted by Matahari View Post
    They are worlds apart. AdG is a fruity and somewhat floral aquatic. It goes on light and projection isn't that great. Cool Water is more of a green and fresh fragrance. It's very well blended and darker than AdG. It lasts twice as long too.

I highly recommend Fuel for Life. A little more expensive than Cool Water and Jake, and probably more or less around Fierce.

A little woody, and a little citrus.

Every other one is overplayed.

I Love Fuel For Life.....A Great scent that lasts.....nice price point.....Gary

FFL has anise so no thanks on that one. Cool Water is sickly sweet to my nose (and yet I enjoy sweet fragrances). I'm not sure what's different about it than most of the other sweet fragrances I enjoy but, for whatever I'm not a fan of it. Jake smells like a whole lot of nothing so I went with Fierce. Fierce opens so spicy but once it calms down it's quite enjoyable. Although, as we all know, it's extremely popular and really isn't that great so I won't be getting another bottle anytime soon.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking