Code of Conduct

Default Losing one's sense of smell

Scary but interesting article. No more nose spray for me!

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/20...sense_of_smell

Default Re: Losing one's sense of smell

Holy Bullet-Dodge, Batman!

We tried the "swab" version of Zicam a couple of years ago, but got colds when everybody else did anyway, so we didn't even finish up the box.

I wonder if regular antihistamine nose sprays can do this, too...
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

Waw! What a sad and scary article!

As soon I feel a cold coming on I take 1 gram vitamin C , the aches and runny noses stop almost immediately. I take one pill or add the pure powder to a drink about every two hours, or when I feel a throat ache or my nose starts running again. I keep it up until the infection is over, no more runny noses and throat aches for me!

Basenotes Institution

Very scary - no nasal spray for me ,for sure ! Thanks for this Klute .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I have never done the nose spray thing.....And I never will now.....that's for sure!!!
    Gary

Good news: no need to lump all "nose sprays" into one evil category. Treatment for allergic rhinitis such as the prescription drugs Flonase, Nasacort, etc, as well as the OTC SinuCleanse system (neti pot) can actually ENHANCE sense of smell in patients who suffer anosmia due to chronic nasal congestion.

JeanieE

That was such a hard article to read. My dear husband has had anosmia
    for the past five years due to polyps. He had them removed once and could smell
    for a few weeks but then they returned (as they have a habit of doing.)
    He can occasionally smell, if he takes a strong course of steroids which shrink the polyps,
    but obviously that isn't a long term solution.

I would so love for him to be able to smell again!
    Last edited by kewart; 16th July 2010 at 08:16 AM.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

There was an episode of that reality show BostonMed, where this guy had a malignant tumor in his sinuses, and the doctor's telling him how they're going to take it out, & he says, "There's no way to preserve your sense of smell," and the guy sort of shrugs. "Well that's the one I care the least about."

OK, obviously losing your sense of smell would be preferable to being dead, which was his other alternative, but it made me think of that article, and all the millions of people who can't see, who can't hear, and enjoy full, happy, productive lives.

There are workarounds for sight and hearing. There's sign language, there's Braille, Helpful furry pupdogs, phones that light up. Motion sensors that beep. But for smell, we got nothing. Or for touch, for that matter, but let's not even go there.

It is Mitsouko Day! And sandwiches coming at noon! I will be grateful that I can smell it all!

Quote Originally Posted by cathodera View Post
    There was an episode of that reality show BostonMed, where this guy had a malignant tumor in his sinuses, and the doctor's telling him how they're going to take it out, & he says, "There's no way to preserve your sense of smell," and the guy sort of shrugs. "Well that's the one I care the least about."

OK, obviously losing your sense of smell would be preferable to being dead, which was his other alternative, but it made me think of that article, and all the millions of people who can't see, who can't hear, and enjoy full, happy, productive lives.

There are workarounds for sight and hearing. There's sign language, there's Braille, Helpful furry pupdogs, phones that light up. Motion sensors that beep. But for smell, we got nothing. Or for touch, for that matter, but let's not even go there.

It is Mitsouko Day! And sandwiches coming at noon! I will be grateful that I can smell it all!
    I know this is not the place to be providing medical advice (but hey, congress thinks I should work for free anyway!) Has he tried intranasal steroids (Nasacort, Flonase, etc.) long -term ? They can shrink polyps without acting systemically (that is, without having to circulate thru the rest of the body where the side effects can be bad)
    JeanieE

Blog Entries

Plain saline nasal spray is safe; I only buy the sort that has no preservatives, as I've read the preservative itself (generally benzalkonium chloride) can cause rebound congestion.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanieE View Post
    ...Has he tried intranasal steroids (Nasacort, Flonase, etc.) long -term ? They can shrink polyps without acting systemically...
    You know, I don't remember if they even mentioned what they had tried before deciding that they needed to remove the tumor.

Here's some blips from a news story about it (bold mine)
    Ron Haynes survived an operation that even the doctor performing it said would make him “freak out” to hear about it.

The Nashua, N.H., dad’s cancer diagnosis and surgery were featured in Thursday night’s episode of ABC’s “Boston Med.”

In October 2008, Haynes suffered a then-inexplicable seizure that eventually led doctors to a grapefruit-sized, cancerous tumor in his sinus.

“I had a seizure and I woke up four days later...Haynes’ surgeon, Dr. William Curry of Massachusetts General Hospital, said the surgery comes with a “risk of neurological problems. The complications can be really devastating.”

“It’s brain surgery,” Curry said in “Boston Med”. “All hell can break loose in basically any situation.”...

Throughout his chemotherapy and radiation...he was in and out of the hospital with a variety of complications, including an infection that nearly cost him an eye...

And for the rest of his life he will live without the ability to smell. “They told me I would lose my sense of smell, and I did. They had to remove all of the olfactory nerves, so I haven't smelled anything in 14 months,” he said. “It's probably the one sense that if you had to lose one, that would be the one you would want to lose.”

...“we ended up getting married in the hospital,” said his new wife, Alison Haynes.

“I've definitely been blessed with Alison being in my life and she probably would have moved away if I hadn't gotten cancer. And my dad got to spend six months with his grandson while he was here taking care of me....