Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which rose-dominant scents have good longevity?

I posted this 'cos I'm so frustrated with all the reformulations going on and I need to find a rose-based scent with good longevity. I love La Rose de Rosine, and wear it lots, but need some alternatives too. I used to love Parfum Sacre, but guess what, it's been reformulated and doesn't last long on me now. I also love N'Aimez Que Moi, and have an old bottle, but I expect it too will be reformulated before long, if it hasn't already. I like rose scents in general, multi-florals, floral/orientals and floral chypres. I hate Shalimar! I would to find a rose scent, or one containing rose, which will last more than an hour on me.
    Any suggestions gratefully received!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which rose-dominant scents have good longevity?

Black Aoud
    Rose Poivree - preferably vintage formulation
    Une Rose
    Opone
    Rose de Nuit
    Paestum Rose
    Last edited by pluran; 15th July 2010 at 10:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend Sa majeste la rose by Serge Lutens but also L'ombre dans l'eau by diptyque, # 88 by Czech and speake and last but not least Nahema by Guerlain.

Thanks for your suggestions. I definitely need to sample Rose Poivree, Opone, Rose de Nuit, Rossy de Palma, L'Ombre dans l'Eau and #88! That should keep me busy for a while! I am not familiar with any of these perfumes. I do own and love Nahema, and hope it hasn't been reformulated when I come to buy another bottle. Oud is probably an acquired taste, but I haven't managed to like it yet, so will give oud perfumes a miss. And I quite liked Paestum Rose, but it smelled a bit medicinal on me. The incense note was much sharper than in Parfum Sacre.
    I really appreciate your help!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, Gres Cabaret is an excellent rose fragrance with good longevity - and not expensive as an added bonus.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have Cabaret EDP, and while it is a nice, sheer, modern take on rose, I don't find it lasts that long unless you douse yourself with half the bottle. Two longlasting rose soliflores are Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose and Ombre Rose l'Originale. Both are inexpensive and don't get much love among the perfumista crowd, but get lots of compliments.

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Rose Barbare - It's a gorgeous, rose-chypre and it lasts 8 hrs or more on me (in general, I apply scents very lightly). Damn expensive, but worth it.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried Ayala Moriel's Roses et Chocolat? Longevity is medium-long (whatever that means!) on me. I think it's great, though I'm not a big fan of rose scents (must be the chocolate). Anyway, a fun niche-y fragrance to sample.

You can try Montale Roses Musk or Montale Deep Roses. Personally, I prefer Roses Musk, but both are good rose fragrances with great longevity.

Ormonde Ta'if is definitely worth sampling!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Creed Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare is excellent and very long lasting. (Note this is diferent from Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie; I cannot imagine why they named two entirely different fragrances with names so similar as to cause confusion.)

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    I highly recommend Sa majeste la rose by Serge Lutens but also L'ombre dans l'eau by diptyque, # 88 by Czech and speake and last but not least Nahema by Guerlain.
    Those are definitely the ones I would have recommended. Sa Majeste is by far my favourite (and most true) rose fragrance. I adore it.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting suggestons ! I am not a rose person but I have been craving a delicious true to life fresh rose scent lately. Ordered a sample of Une Rose by Malle.
    I will have to sample Sergie's Sa Majeste La Rose.
    Rose experts .....What is the longevity of Red Roses by Jo Malone like ?
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 15th July 2010 at 02:34 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Bulgari Rose Essentielle EDP
    Stella McCartney EDP
    Lancome Mille et Une Roses
    YSL Paris--EDT but it is very powerful
    Juliette Has A Gun Citizen Queen
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

I can still smell Montale Deep Roses on fabric the next day. My favorite rose and very similar to Une Rose but half the price.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone try Montale Attar- notes of mysore sandalwood and bulgarian rose ? That sounds fab !
    And Homage by Amouage ? I know the men here seem to like it so c'mon guys - input !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 15th July 2010 at 02:45 PM.

Hi redrose! Two that I've found to have incredible longevity, and they're both very beautiful:

Frederic Malle Une Rose
    Sonoma Scent Studio Velvet Rose

Also, Gres Cabaret is a lovely rose blend with good longevity. It's another of my favorites.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio
    Post Thanks / Like

Une rose chyprée Tauer!
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

I second the recommendation of the rose scents made by Sonoma Scent Studio. Both Velvet Rose and Vintage Rose are utterly gorgeous, and are very long-lasting on my skin. I think that Laurie Erickson, the perfumer, ships internationally.

Also recommend:
    Rykiel Rose by Sonya Rykiel
    Ce Soir ou Jamais by Annick Goutal
    Rose Absolute by Yves Rocher
    Nahema by Guerlain
    Fleur de The Rose Bulgarie by Creed
    Une Rose by Frederic Malle

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Rose is one of the most often discussed notes here on the forum. When I entered the word "rose" & clicked on advance search to look in forum & posts, the search engine yielded 7 pages of threads.

Here's a good one: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/204...highlight=rose

I love rose fragrances, myself. Check out the four sections of Raphaella's Roses in Sniffapalooza Magazine. http://www.sniffapaloozamagazine.com...sesSERIES.html I wrote the second "forward " for the section.
    Last edited by RHM; 13th August 2010 at 01:23 AM.
    "Not my cup of mud."
    Oscar the Grouch

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

RHM- many thanks for the links -they are very helpful !

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    RHM- many thanks for the links -they are very helpful !
    Oh, good. I'm very glad. I just don't know why the post repeats a word sometimes, as I certainly didn't type it twice.
    "Not my cup of mud."
    Oscar the Grouch

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Creed Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare is excellent and very long lasting. (Note this is diferent from Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie; I cannot imagine why they named two entirely different fragrances with names so similar as to cause confusion.)

I second this: sampled Rose Bulgare at Saks around lunch time today and still smelling it!!!!

Hillaire

Anyone try Montale Attar- notes of mysore sandalwood and bulgarian rose ? That sounds fab !
    And Homage by Amouage ? I know the men here seem to like it so c'mon guys - input !
    Mimi, Homage is one of my favorite smells on earth! It's very intense and soapy.
    But for the money, I frankly prefer Lyric Man and Lyric Woman, Lyric Man being the more 'feminine' of the two.

All the Amouage rose scents are crazy, in terms of longevity. They last for days.
    They are: Dia Woman, Lyric Man, Lyric Woman, Tribute, and Homage.

The Sonoma Scent Studio Rose scents are also long-lasting, all of them extrait strength. I love Rose Musc and Vintage Rose, but find Velvet Rose very waxy and candle-like in the drydown stage. Rose Musc is the most complex and interesting of the lot.

Sisley Soir de Lunealso lasts for ages.

Nahema lasts forever. AL Bohemian Rose, Sa Majeste, Zita

Post Thanks / Like

Annick Goutal- Rose Absolue A most wonderful rose and great longevity.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Hillaire, Brielle- - those all sounds wonderful rose scents. I must try Homage. Nahema and I didn't get on so well - I think I would like pure full bodied roses too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What is the longevity of Red Roses by Jo Malone like ?
    I get at least six or eight hours from it, but then most of her fragrances have great longevity on me.

I concur that Sa Majeste la Rose is also very long lasting, but it's a deeper, fairly lush rose compared with Red Roses (which is almost effervescent, like many other JM scents).

Quote Originally Posted by redrose View Post
    And I quite liked Paestum Rose, but it smelled a bit medicinal on me.
    Yep, that's the wenge, a wood that's very similar to oudh. Personally, I love it!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

Redrose- hello!!!! I need to jump in here because first you mention n'aimez que moi ( i own), i like La Rose as well (but didn't buy); and then you brought up Nahema (I own this in parfum strength).

So i suspect we share similar tastes in rose scents. That said, i want to add a little weight to some of the above: Citizen Queen (I own this too, awesome powdery rose/suede), Rose Barbare (5 stars, but longevity was too short for the price). Creed's Fleur de The (LOVED this, but at $400 let's be real) and Sonoma Scent's Velvet Rose (wear this quickly, i found these faded a bit due to the natural ingredients, or maybe keep in the refridgerator)

Sa majeste is popping up, but this was 'eh' for me, it wore flat and 'dank'.
    I would also add Caron's pour une Femme, parfum only (no EDP) This is a mouth watering rose, just love it (and you can get it for $68, i think)

let us know what you find!!!
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwood View Post
    I get at least six or eight hours from it, but then most of her fragrances have great longevity on me.

I concur that Sa Majeste la Rose is also very long lasting, but it's a deeper, fairly lush rose compared with Red Roses (which is almost effervescent, like many other JM scents).

Yep, that's the wenge, a wood that's very similar to oudh. Personally, I love it!
    Thanks Heartwood ! Seems like I must try both the Lutens and Red Roses !

Creed Fleur de The Bulgarie ( such a looong name ! ) - I like the beginning but I think the tea note irritated me. I must try again !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 16th July 2010 at 03:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

They are mentioned again , Nahema by Guerlain ,Paris by YSL,Cabaret by Gres and i 'd like to add Magnifique by Lancome
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Hi everybody, thanks so much for this really useful information! I've jotted down all the recommendations I'm not familiar with - which is most of them! - and will be sending off for some samples.
    Baykat, yes, we do share similar tastes, and I can easily get a sample of Pour Une Femme from Les Senteurs, so will be doing this. They also stock Diptyque, so are a very useful resource. I did test Sa Majeste from one of their samples, but agree with you - it was nice, but not great. More green sap than perfumed petal, IMHO.
    And special thanks, RHM, for the links. I've downloaded the Sniffapalooza sections, but didn't realize that you were involved with that. It's a beautiful piece of work.
    I think I'd probably love the Creed, but it would be way too expensive for me, especially as I'm saving up to get a bottle of Lyric Woman one day ...
    It's great that so many other people love rose scents. Sometimes I get the feeling that Americans don't really go for them, think they're old lady scents, but for us in England we are besotted with roses! We grow them, bring them into our houses, and whenever possible, wear their fragrance. Rose is actually the first scent I can remember, from burying my head in a huge bunch of roses from the garden when I was two years old. It was love at first sniff!

Stella Rose Absolute Intense lasts pretty well on me. I did not like the original Stella very much, and the longevity was not good either. But my favorite is Montale Oud Roses Petals. It has been on my wishlist forever.

Post Thanks / Like

One more : Rose Absolu by Yves Rocher
    I'd like to add that i don't prefer oud note in rose perfumes
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I second Creed Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare, I sampled it recently and it stayed on forever - could even smell it the next day AFTER showering.

Can't wait to try the Creed everyone recommends! But I can't find anywhere that will send a sample of it - any ideas?
    Also, Heartwood, thanks for enlightening me about the wenge wood. It's not that I didn't like Paestum Rose, but to me it smells exactly like the glue they put on sticking plasters. You know, the ones where you peel back the paper and put the plaster over a booboo! I like both smells, but don't want to wear them all day.
    Is wenge a new ingredient? Haven't heard of it before. But all the woods seem to be getting popular now. I'd like my long-lasting rose scents not to have them, if possible, except for cedar, which is gorgeous!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I went ahead and ordered Fleurs de Bulgarie - I don't like the tea note in the Fleurs de The Bulgare .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 17th July 2010 at 03:55 PM.

Have ordered a bunch of samples from Lucky Scent and The Perfumed Court, based on above recommendations - they'll take a couple of weeks to get to me from the USA, and meanwhile I will order what samples I can from Les Senteurs. Many, many thanks! At the very least I shall have a great time with the samples!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

1876 Mata Hari by Historires de Parfums is a gorgeous rose dominant scent. A very lovely basenoter gave this to me and it's one I would never would have thought of.

Une Rose has little competition. I also love Joy but the perfume ,I think on the whole the perfume quality of anything is best.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Valerie- welcome to Basenotes ! I also adore Joy in parfum extrait. Hopefully I will be getting my sample of Une Rose soon - can't wait to try it.

Hi! I used to love Joy, but I got what I think must have been either a reformulation or a knock-off from a discount on-line company and was very disappointed. Got lots of honey, osmanthus and tea, and very little jasmine or rose. I'm looking forward to more samples arriving soon, including Une Rose and Une Rose Chypree, plus a gorgeous little sample bottle of Cabaret! Ormonde Jayne sent me samples of Ta'if, Tolu and Tiare (I only asked for Ta'if) at no charge and very quickly! Am impressed with their service. And I like Ta'if very much - so much I may have to get a whole bottle when the sample is finished! The only thing I didn't like about Ta'if was its packaging, which is a bright orange box. The perfume is strong but also tasteful, IMHO, so they could've gone with a more tasteful package in keeping with the scent. But who cares! The box stays in the dresser drawer, after all.
    This thread has been incredibly helpful.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I got my sample of Une Rose- it is marvellous ! It's just a wonderful rose soliflore and dreamy.
    Or et Noir by Caron is also a lovely lovely rose.
    All this rose talk .... I am waiting for a sampler set of rose absolutes and ottos now.

Post Thanks / Like

Rose Barbare (Guerlain)

Une Rose is probably "it", but it's a tad too green to fulfill my rose dreams and its sillage goes back to a mere skin scent after an hour or so on my skin. Lyric Woman has beguiled me up to my personal top 3 currently, but don't be too disappointed with regard to longevity (spray on fabric too) and sillage (after 2-3 hours). I consider it a heavenly, other-worldly beautiful perfume and forgive it its limited length of time it stays with me I can only speak for Black Aoud (Montale), but there are many more in their line, but its longevity (even on me) is unique and it does me quite well when I long for a rose.

aaaaaaaaaaaaah, I forgot "Oha" by Teo Cabanel - too 'feminine' for me to make me feel really comfortable, but a wonderful Bulgarian rose in a very elegant "setting".

China Rose by Floris or Nahema by Guerlain are my favorite rose scents. They stay true 10 hours later, at least on my skin. I like Tea Rose by Perfumers' Workshop on others but it turns metallic on me.

Ta'if is growing on me every day - a really lovely, rose-filled scent.
    Mimi Gardenia, your sampler set sounds amazing! Where can I order one? Or maybe I'm too much of a novice to be able to appreciate it - probably!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Ta'if is growing on me every day - a really lovely, rose-filled scent.
    Mimi Gardenia, your sampler set sounds amazing! Where can I order one? Or maybe I'm too much of a novice to be able to appreciate it - probably!
    Redrose- don't say you are too much of a novice- you should sample anything you wish to . Will PM

Well, I take courage from the fact that although I'm very new to writing about and really appreciating perfume, I've worn scent for years and years and couldn't imagine life without it! So I went ahead and ordered myself some rose samplers, and I shall experiment. I think I'll mainly be using them to beef up the rose notes of existing scents, but I've also worn them alone in the past, as perfumes. I had a beautiful rose absolute from Cairo years ago, and another from India, but they have long since faded so I look forward to my sample set.
    And my Cabaret sample arrived yesterday and it is a revelation! I'd never heard of that perfume, but it is lovely, very elegant and sophisticated and the rose notes come through loud and clear. It lasted several hours.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I take courage from the fact that although I'm very new to writing about and really appreciating perfume, I've worn scent for years and years and couldn't imagine life without it! So I went ahead and ordered myself some rose samplers, and I shall experiment. I think I'll mainly be using them to beef up the rose notes of existing scents, but I've also worn them alone in the past, as perfumes. I had a beautiful rose absolute from Cairo years ago, and another from India, but they have long since faded so I look forward to my sample set.
    And my Cabaret sample arrived yesterday and it is a revelation! I'd never heard of that perfume, but it is lovely, very elegant and sophisticated and the rose notes come through loud and clear. It lasted several hours.
    Good for you redrose ! Let us know what your thoughts are on the rose samples !

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you are enjoying the Cabaret.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Bvlgari Rose essential EDP lasted for hours on me but am new to this game so can't say much more than that, sorry! (Have been trying out Perfumed Court for samples so I can extend my fragrance knowledge). I hope you find what you're looking for :-)

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Officially in love with Une Rose Chypre by Andy Tauer.I am also impressed with Incense Rose and Le Maroc Pour Elle but my heart is with Une Rose Chypre.

Le Maroc Pour Elle is beautiful, isn't it? My favourite of the Tauers. Some I find a little harsh, and I much prefer softer, more subtle scents.
    So far in this rose-scented voyage I've found Ta'if and Cabaret to be my favourites. Now have a 50ml EdP of Ta'if and don't think I'll ever tire of it. It's just so good-hearted and sunny!

Jardin Secret by Parfums de Nicolai is a very beautiful rose chypre with very good longevity.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Lorag View Post
    Jardin Secret by Parfums de Nicolai is a very beautiful rose chypre with very good longevity.
    This is a great rec. It's very long-lasting.

I am adding Montale's Crystal Flowers, a 'pure' rose, that lasted for AGES on me. I put on a dab before bed, and awoke with the smell filling my room. Really nice, too. A total surprise.be

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I re-tested Malle Une Rose at Barney's this evening-- sprayed 3 times on chest-- and now it's 5 hours later and it is still going strong. Maybe a tad too strong, even.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    This is a great rec. It's very long-lasting.

I am adding Montale's Crystal Flowers, a 'pure' rose, that lasted for AGES on me. I put on a dab before bed, and awoke with the smell filling my room. Really nice, too. A total surprise.be
    Well ,that just sounds very yummy !
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I re-tested Malle Une Rose at Barney's this evening-- sprayed 3 times on chest-- and now it's 5 hours later and it is still going strong. Maybe a tad too strong, even.
    Une Rose is very strong - sprayed once in the evening and I smelt it all night long - actually kept waking me up !

Just added Jardin Secret to my list of must-samples. Not crazy about Une Rose, I think the patchouli is a bit strong for me, but it certainly lasts - not always a good thing! Une Rose Chypree is a lovely scent and does last well, though.
    I'm wearing Cabaret for the third day in a row and really like it, as the incense never dominates the rose, they just harmonize nicely, and it last a long time on me.
    Tried Ayala Moriel's tip and put jojoba oil on my pulse points before testing a scent, and it really works well. Gives me about twice my usual longevity. I must have very dry skin.
    Also, Mimi Gardenia, your idea of getting samples of rose absolutes and essentielles is really good, and I went ahead and got a Rose Absolute from Hermitage. It's a gorgeous scent, lasts hours!

Smile Re: Which rose-dominant scents have good longevity?

I recently discovered Or et Noir from a Perfumed Court decant. If you can get by a funky first 10 minutes (as I find with most great fragrances --- why is that?) Or et Noir settles down to a sumptuous, creamy rose that whispers (rather than yells) for a good 12 hours on me. I'm finding it a great summer alternative to my standby, Eau Sauvage.
    "It's not the scent that recalls the person; it's the person who recalls the scent"