Code of Conduct

Default Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain

Is Andy Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain considered a minimalist, linear fragrance?

Default Re: Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain

I think I might call it minimalist when it gets to the drydown, and it is also linear at that point, though that is common with oriental frags. If you want something along those lines but clearly not minimalist, you might want to sample JHL by Aramis.

I think it's a very complex fragrance, there's a lot going on.

It has happened to me that with every sniff close to my arm, I smell an entirely different ingredient very prominently, for example vetiver and orange.

When it's drying down it makes a big twist at a certain point, you get a very prominent incense note, that is slightly sour and certainly smokey. After that it goes to the beautiful basenotes.

I'll add that when I say minimalist, I mean by designer standards. Niche frags vary, of course, but tend to minimalism relative to designers, generally-speaking.

From the sample that I had and thoroughly enjoyed, I wouldn't say it is a minimalist fragrance. It seemed very full, textured, and satisfying.

I would say it is anything but minimalist
    if you want that go for Demeter fragrances or something like Mugler cologne
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I do not think this is by any means a "linear, minimalist" fragrance, in the sense of "clear, straightforward, simple but good". On the contrary, it is extremely complex, overpowering, "too much of everything" fragrance. I was sick after wearing it for a few hours. The same happened after wearing "Vetyver Dance". Just too much, no clear structure, just disparate elements mixed together. There's much better, more athletic, more masculine stuff on the market, but that is only my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    I do not think this is by any means a "linear, minimalist" fragrance, in the sense of "clear, straightforward, simple but good". On the contrary, it is extremely complex, overpowering, "too much of everything" fragrance. I was sick after wearing it for a few hours. The same happened after wearing "Vetyver Dance". Just too much, no clear structure, just disparate elements mixed together. There's much better, more athletic, more masculine stuff on the market, but that is only my humble opinion.
    I am not sure that LDDM was meant to be athletic or masculine but I do love it. I found that I appreciated it much more when I sprayed it lower on my body and kept it away from my neck. I also found that it must be used lightly when it is hot outside because it really comes to life in the heat and can become too strong.

Sur la Plage

Not to me.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Not sure what definition of "minimalist" would apply to LAdDM...it's a dry oriental chock full of notes, IMO.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

It definately is a full bodied scent. Although linear, its very thick and satisfying. Incense and vanilla is what I perceive. Jubilation XXV has this accord to appear after the fruit wears off but is much more muted. LDDM is a hard core blast of all the goodness in XXV and would be my pick of the two. Sorry for getting off topic
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I need to order another sample! Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.

I'm sampling this stuff right now. Wow. Really love it.

I love it. Hot, spicy, and dry oriental.

It's very complex. It's one of the those frags that can send out strays accords that leave you wondering who's wearing that amazing perfume, and then you realize it's you.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Most seem to love it, but all I got is a dry turpentine accord. Swapped it after a few wears.

I love it linear that it is to my nose. One spray and my day is good, but it is a special occasion fragrance for me.....say dinner at an exotic ethnic restaurant, large family gatherings, etc.