Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Vetiver vs. Givenchy Vetyver ?

Starting to get into the world of vetiver & wondering what the basic differences are? Anyone?

Default Re: Guerlain Vetiver vs. Givenchy Vetyver ?

wow, nobody?

It's a hard question to describe such differences easily so that they're consistent from nose to nose. Some noses pick up different things and disagree with descriptions.

You should really try to smell both of these greats. The Guerlain is famous with its addition of fresh tobacco and citrus while the Givenchy is, I don't know exactly how to put it, more warming with a fresh soap bar smell. Like a florally scented fine milled bar of soap. But that's not exactly it either. They're both magnificent though, and you should check them out for sure.

Edit: I think the Givenchy is more of a vetiver and sandalwood blend.
    Last edited by DustB; 16th July 2010 at 02:31 AM.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution

Guerlain has tobacco. Givenchy doesn't.

Do you know of the two, which would be more 'dry' smelling? Sorta like Tom Ford Grey Vetiver & Terre d'Hermes ?

or - if another vetiver out there fits the bill, thats basically what I'm looking for.

I own Guerlain Vetiver and I enjoy it a lot now (wasn't a big vetiver fan)... i would describe it as round and full smelling. I would like something more 'dry', like Terre d'Hermes/ Tom Ford GV (both I also own and enjoy).

whatcha think?
    Last edited by md1grwl; 16th July 2010 at 02:50 AM.

how about lalique's encre noire instead?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

The Guerlain has a quite predominant tobacco note, while the Givenchy has a nutty note and is actually fresher, IMO.

My choice? Givenchy Vetyver.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by MdGrwl View Post
    Do you know of the two, which would be more 'dry' smelling? Sorta like Tom Ford Grey Vetiver & Terre d'Hermes ?

or - if another vetiver out there fits the bill, thats basically what I'm looking for.

I own Guerlain Vetiver and I enjoy it a lot now (wasn't a big vetiver fan)... i would describe it as round and full smelling. I would like something more 'dry', like Terre d'Hermes/ Tom Ford GV (both I also own and enjoy).

whatcha think?
    +1 for Encre Noire

Givenchy vetiver by a mile, it has an almond or nutty note and it smells rich. On the other hand Guerlain smells dated and with a harsh tobacco note. But my most satisying vetiver is encre noire, it just doesnt get that good.
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by MdGrwl View Post

whatcha think?
    mdgrwl-

- What 'formulation' of Guerlain Vetiver do you have? The 'new' Eau de Toilette, I'm assuming (in the frosted, ribbed bottle)? If so, then I think you should definitely try to smell the vintage Guerlain Vetiver in the Eau de Cologne or the Eau de Toilette. Different bottle, with gold accents, it can easily be found on Ebay and at other online retailers.

- While I admire the Givenchy, I don't think of it as 'dry'. Nor do I think of Terre de Hermes as a vetiver prominent scent, but that's just me.

- Other 'dry' vetivers I enjoy:

Vettiveru (Series 4: Cologne) by Comme des Garcons, which has a wonderfully light (but dry) feel with a salty, iodine note.
    Kenzo Air by Kenzo, but one must like anise since this has loads of it, mixed with a sort of ozonic/airy feel
    Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle, expensive but worth it, this one is very intensive and it also features a unique ozonic note (a love or hate accord)

- I have not tried these, but you might want to: Red Vetyver by Montale and Le Vetyver by Lubin
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 16th July 2010 at 03:05 PM.

+1 for Encre Noir as well. In fact, I will make it my SOTD
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I will continue my streak of recommending Sel De Vetiver here. It's a dry/mineralic vetiver, making it absolutely unique. It's sort of akin to Terre d'Hermes, but with a more bitter and with a more pronounced vetiver note. It feels "salty," as opposed to Terre's "rocky".
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    mdgrwl-

- What 'formulation' of Guerlain Vetiver do you have? The 'new' Eau de Toilette, I'm assuming (in the frosted, ribbed bottle)? If so, then I think you should definitely try to smell the vintage Guerlain Vetiver in the Eau de Cologne or the Eau de Toilette. Different bottle, with gold accents, it can easily be found on Ebay and at other online retailers.

- While I admire the Givenchy, I don't think of it as 'dry'. Nor do I think of Terre de Hermes as a vetiver prominent scent, but that's just me.

- Other 'dry' vetivers I enjoy:

Vettiveru (Series 4: Cologne) by Comme des Garcons, which has a wonderfully light (but dry) feel with a salty, iodine note.
    Kenzo Air by Kenzo, but one must like anise since this has loads of it, mixed with a sort of ozonic/airy feel
    Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle, expensive but worth it, this one is very intensive and it also features a unique ozonic note (a love or hate accord)

- I have not tried these, but you might want to: Red Vetyver by Montale and Le Vetyver by Lubin
    Yeah, I have the new re-formulated Guerlain. Thanks for the input! Yeah, I guess Terre wasn't that great of a comparrision... I'm basically looking for something cose to TFGV. Absolutley LOVE TFGV, but find it pricey.
    Last edited by md1grwl; 16th July 2010 at 03:31 PM.

Guerlain = headache. Givenchy = no headache.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Guerlain: bright and vibrant
    Givenchy: smoky and muted

Both are wonderful, but, IMO, the Givenchy is more sophistocated.

i love all three Lalique's Encre Noir, Gurlain Vetiver and Givenchy Vetyver some times I layer them WOW, but the Gurlain always seems to be the winner. Has anyone tried Caroline Herrera's Sensual Vetiver (forgot the exact name)? It sounds wonderful. I think I've become a vetiver junkie. The Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is great as well, but pricey.
    Last edited by RHINORAY2; 19th April 2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: forgot to mention the TFGV

The Guerlain is an absolute classic masterpiece. The tobacco note in particular makes it seem like it belongs in another era (I love tobacco notes) but it is such a monument to a particular time and taste. I also love Encre Noir and the Molinard vetiver, which is rough and very cheap, and Jacques Bogart's Bois de Vetiver, which is long since discontinued and hard to find, and Red Vetiver, and the Lubin vetiver I don't own but liked it when I tried it, and on and on. The Givenchy I have never tried but I will own it eventually. The vetivers are limitless. If you get hooked, it is a lifelong obsession.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 19th April 2012 at 01:10 AM.

I find the Guerlain a little soapy and the tobacco note differentiates it. I find the Givenchy cleaner, greener and drier. The Givenchy is less harsh than TFGV, although the Tom Ford is a great scent IMO. Of the three above, I wear the Givenchy by far the most.

If you want really dry, perhaps (as suggested) try Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire, or MPG Route De Vetiver.

Encre Noir is a great scent, but a very different style to the above vetivers - darker, rootier and smokier. Another in a similar vein is Chanel Sycomore - a real masterpiece. I now find it hard to choose to wear EN over the richer, smoother Sycomore.

Out of the 20 something vetivers I own, my favourites are Vetiver Extraordinaire, Givenchy and Sycomore.

Encre Noire is my fave. Creed OV is second.

Sycomore also great. You are really spoiled for choice.

Givenchy Vetyver is nice, but it was super light on my skin. Barely perceptible. Guerlain does not work for me.

Have both and both are very nice but the Guerlain lasts longer on my skin.

These are two excellent vetivers, with a few differences already mentioned. Love both.

I own both as well and agree to this comment and wanted to add that the biggest differences are that Guerlain Vetiver is with a heavy citrus opening (I own the 2000 frosted ribbed bottle) and the vetiver is surrounded by tobacco. It lasts longer and has more longevity.
    The Givenchy Vetyver opens with a light bergamot citrus and has that nutty vibe with sandalwood base and a coriander heart and is indeed more sophisticated as having less sillage/longevity, at least on my skin.

So both are pretty different and I think Guerlain is the better outdoor scent and Givenchy the better indoor/formal scent.

Both masterpieces!

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    Guerlain: bright and vibrant
    Givenchy: smoky and muted

Both are wonderful, but, IMO, the Givenchy is more sophistocated.
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

I'd add Etro, Villoresi and Dior's Vetiver to the list and the great Racine by MPG. All fine vets at the top of their game imho