Code of Conduct

Default Similar to Hanae Mori H.M.

I've recently tried Hanae Mori H.M. and have found that I'm in love with the style of fragrance. I'd love to hear opinions of other similar fragrances that I should try that might be even more refined and pleasing to my nose. As I'm a newbie, I am not sure which particular scents appeal the most to me, but the H.M. page here says it's an oriental fragrance - so perhaps fragrances in that category.

Thanks everyone!

Default Re: Similar to Hanae Mori H.M.

Nothing smells like it to my nose. Hanae Mori is an odd scent - numerous people keep saying it's a chocolate scent, but I've never been able to detect it.

I had two friends over recently, and I was letting them test my chocolate scents - since he wears nothing but A*men, ever since I put him onto it. I brought out the Hanae Mori, saying it was reported to have chocolate in it, and his partner went crazy for it - she sprayed it all over herself, saying it was the most amazing scent she'd ever smelled - that to her it didn't smell like chocolate but like a lolly shop (confectionary store in US talk).

Cheers,
    Renato

In the same basic territory

Rochas Man
    A*Men
    New Haarlem
    L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme EdP (the most refined imo)
    Last edited by StylinLA; 16th July 2010 at 02:51 AM.

I personally do not think H.M belongs to the same category of A*Men, Rochas Man, etc cuz to me it doesn't smell gourmandish. To my noise HM smells like a bunch of over ripped fruits.
    Last edited by jasonx; 16th July 2010 at 04:45 AM.

I have yet to try H.M. but if it is like Rochas Man, and Rochas Man is too hard to find, or out of your price range, I recommend you go into Walgreen's or CVS, looks for Bod Man Body Heat x2 (comes in a pineapple/grenade looking bottle) take off the cap if you can and take a spray of it.. the box is kind of open, so you can take it out easily. To me, this smells almost the same as Rochas Man and can be acquired for under 15 bucks. Don't let the name discourage you, it lasts quite long and projects very nicely. It's actually one of my hidden gem fragrances, a well kept secret, good stuff!

The line between oriental and gourmand is often blurry.

I agree with the suggestion to try L'instant de Guerlain. I'm wearing it now and it's heaven. I prefer the EDT (the regular version) as I find the EDP (extreme version) to be too much and not as balanced, but they're both wonderful scents.

Casran by Chopard is a really nice one in the same vein; similar but with a chocolate covered cherry note. I love Hanae Mori HM, and Casran is a nice change of pace.

It simply isn't similar enough to anything. I suppose I can understand how Rochas Man and A*MEN are mentioned but I don't think they feel at all like H.M. I get a similar feel ( not similar scent) from Kenzo several products; Jungle PH, Amour, Tokyo, Air. None of these are as complex a scent as Hanae Mori but they feel light and crisp with a softer, sweeter side- same sort of experience I get from H.M.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I've tried a lot of these and I would agree that it is unique, and that if you want an answer, you need to give us more information about what you like about it. As a newbie, you might not be able to, so for now do as much sampling as possible and then you might find out for yourself or you will be able to ask a more specific question here.

These are good suggestions but H.M. is much more fruity.

What stands out with H.M. is the lemon and vanilla. The lemon is surprisingly long lasting and the very sweet combination of these two notes are sometimes perceived as chocolaty. This is more apparent in the denser, sweeter, EDP formula. However, there is no chocolate note in it officially.

The pyramid is very completx wiht a couple dozen notes listed. You really need to live with it and analyze it to get a lot of those notes from fruity (lemon, black current, etc.) to the florals and to the woody/ambery/vanilla base. it's a unique and well-made composition. The EDT is more relaxed and the notes are easier to identify.

Montale Vanilla extacy is almost exact copy

So NY Bond No.9....Better Version...no UBER-Sweet Lemons...
    Im the be$t @ thi$

It's interesting. I haven't tried it a lot, but I get chocolate out of HM...there's certainly a citrus component. My take on it is more gourmand. That's why I reference A*Men, etc

Gatsby

I'm glad I'm not now the only one here who can't perceive any chocolate in HM.
    Renato