Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question KENZO Flower VS Caron Royal Bain de Caron.

I have always liked Royal Bain de Caron and was surprised to hear that Kenzo flower is very similar. The problem with Caron is that it is short lived. For those who have made the comparison what do you think?
    Also, is the spicier oriental flanker more the better comaparison?
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 3rd January 2010 at 05:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: KENZO Flower VS Caron Royal Bain de Caron.

No takers on this thread? No one else has noticed the similarity of theese two fragrances?

I had Kenzo Flower (and still kept a small sample). Problem is, a lot of us have never run into the Royal Bain...
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Basenotes Plus

Hi N_Tesla, I can't speak to the oriental flanker, never tried it but Royal Bain is no question the forerunner of Flower. I love them both. Flower is somewhat more dusty-powdery to me. Royal Bain has a bit more emphasis on the florals and to me smells a tad more natural than Flower. Even so, the resemblance is striking.

As for Royal Bain's longevity, I have the splash bottle and find it lasts longer sprayed, so I decant some into a little atomizer and spray away.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Blog Entries

I too decant to a small atomizer and was fortunate to acquire a refillable 2oz. Royal Bain de Caron tester. Perhaps, in order to increase longevity I might experiment with layering Flower and Royal Bain de Caron. The resins in Royal Bain de Caron are marvelous.

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Hi N_Tesla, I can't speak to the oriental flanker, never tried it but Royal Bain is no question the forerunner of Flower. I love them both. Flower is somewhat more dusty-powdery to me. Royal Bain has a bit more emphasis on the florals and to me smells a tad more natural than Flower. Even so, the resemblance is striking.

As for Royal Bain's longevity, I have the splash bottle and find it lasts longer sprayed, so I decant some into a little atomizer and spray away.

I have a sample of Royal Bain de Caron, so I'd need to go sniff it again, and I don't have any Kenzo Flower here to do a side by side comparison. Maybe when I'm out and about I'll find some at Sephora to test again. I really love Kenzo Flower Le Parfum in the solid red bottle, but I find it too overpowering to be wearable. I love to smell it on others.

Blog Entries

lilybelle; I think you might benefit from layering flower with Royal bain de Caron too. They are much the same but, the fleeting nature of RBdCaron might make flower wearable for you. Royal Bain de Caron was originally commissioned by a News Paper Tycoon to replace champaign in his bath water. That is why the bottle looks like a champaign bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I have a sample of Royal Bain de Caron, so I'd need to go sniff it again, and I don't have any Kenzo Flower here to do a side by side comparison. Maybe when I'm out and about I'll find some at Sephora to test again. I really love Kenzo Flower Le Parfum in the solid red bottle, but I find it too overpowering to be wearable. I love to smell it on others.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 4th January 2010 at 04:16 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I too decant to a small atomizer and was fortunate to acquire a refillable 2oz. Royal Bain de Caron tester. Perhaps, in order to increase longevity I might experiment with layering Flower and Royal Bain de Caron. The resins in Royal Bain de Caron are marvelous.
    - That's a great idea, never thought to do that! I will try layering the two when I get home from work today. (Agree with you about the resins in RB, just fantastic.)
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: KENZO Flower VS Caron Royal Bain de Caron.

tdem1961; Great! Le me know how the test goes. I am going to have to get some flower petty soon if the test works out. Be sure to let me know won't you?

- That's a great idea, never thought to do that! I will try layering the two when I get home from work today. (Agree with you about the resins in RB, just fantastic.)

I have noticed the similarity and voiced my opinion long time ago in one of our SotD threads. I have never tried KenzoFlower flankers (Oriental and others), except for the main scent. No problem with longevity with either, but then again, everything lasts on me.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    lilybelle; I think you might benefit from layering flower with Royal bain de Caron too. They are much the same but, the fleeting nature of RBdCaron might make flower wearable for you. Royal Bain de Caron was originally commissioned by a News Paper Tycoon to replace champaign in his bath water. That is why the bottle looks like a champaign bottle.
    Ah, I never knew that! I'll try layering it sometime, too, to see how that goes. Thanks for the tip.

Basenotes Plus

Checking in to report that I tried layering the two together and the result is very nice! They complement each other nicely, punching up the florals and resins common to both. I'm wearing the combo today for SOTD and loving it. Thanks again for the suggestion, N_Tesla!

Blog Entries

tdem1961; Your welcome and thank you for trying the combo. I will now get some flower as I already have plenty of Royal Bain de Caron.

Checking in to report that I tried layering the two together and the result is very nice! They complement each other nicely, punching up the florals and resins common to both. I'm wearing the combo today for SOTD and loving it. Thanks again for the suggestion, N_Tesla!

This is so interesting! Kenzo has always seemed like an inexplicable waste of time to me, but you all have convinced me to try Flower, now. Hugs to Twolf because I know halfway what this conversation is about.

Basenotes Institution

I hated Flower when I first tried it. I think I was extremely sensitive to powdery fragrances.

Now, after having become a big Guerlain fan, my tastes have changed and very recently when I was at Perfumania I tested the Flower (Winter Flowers) and fell in love with it, I couldn't stop smelling it. Good stuff. It reminds me of the smell of luxury shaving soap, a bath, and yet also a slight toasted marshmallow sweetness to top it all off.

I smelled the Caron too long ago to remember how they compare. But, I think most of the references I've read comparing Flower and Royal Bain de Caron have been with vintage RBdC juice, no?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th January 2010 at 07:34 PM.

Thumbs up Re: KENZO Flower VS Caron Royal Bain de Caron.

I have some Kenzo Flower and a bottle of Royal Bain of indeterminate age except that it was still labeled Royal Bain de CHAMPAGNE. Yes, they are quite similar in the sweet, musky, billowing, vanilla creme soda body. Flower has more florals (tuberose?) and a more distinct animalic drydown. Overall, it seems to have more refined ingredients. RBdC feels more blended, in that I cannot pick out individual notes, especially the florals. I also get a hint of waxy paraffin in the start that's somewhat unpleasant. All of this could be due to the age of the bottle, who knows.

I find both to be quite warm and enveloping, like wrapping yourself in a thick bath towel. Flower is a bit more addictive and also more feminine. RBdC seems pretty unisex. Longevity and sillage are powerful in both, which is unusual for my fragrance-eating skin.