Code of Conduct

Default Do you ever go against the grain when you wear a fragrance?

I'm wondering how often you go "against the grain" when you pick a certain scent to wear for the day. I'm talking about times when you choose a frag that would typically not be considered appropriate or ideal for the situation you're in at the time. Did you feel like you pulled it off well? Did other people feel so too?

I probably haven't worded my query very well, so here's my example for today:

Today the weather forecast is expected to be humid and in the 90s. I'm an attorney, and this morning I need to be in Court on a criminal case. I'm going to be leaving the house in about 20 minutes to head off to Court. What fragrance am I wearing? A*MEN.

Most people would think I'm insane for 1. wearing A*MEN in the heat of summer, 2. wearing it to work, and 3. being a lawyer, wearing a suit, in Court, with a criminal (alleged of course), all the while sporting 4 spritzes of A*MEN of all things. However, I really like this frag, and I woke up in the mood to smell A*MEN today. I'm going to take the plunge. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by shamu1; 16th July 2010 at 10:40 AM.

Default Re: Do you ever go against the grain when you wear a fragrance?

haha no amen in a court. especially if you are in front of an egomaniac conservative judge. what type of case are you defending or prosecuting?

Sur la Plage

I think I "go against the grain" a majority of the time. I would find it very boring if I didn't. I don't follow any fragrance "rules".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

My client is charged with intimidating a witness.

After you've practiced law long enough, you develop the confidence to feel like you could walk into a courtroom wearing Secretions Magnifique if you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think I "go against the grain" a majority of the time. I would find it very boring if I didn't. I don't follow any fragrance "rules".
    I couldn't agree with you more, petruccijc. Life would get dull if we all had to wear Chrome to work.

I can't tell you how many times I've walked into courtrooms wearing big patchouli frags. If I think I smell good, I'm going to feel good, and I'm going to do a better job.

Yep. I wear Amouage Epic, and Creed Acier Aluminium to work -in SUMMER! The rules says that is ugh ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    This is the only way to truly enjoy your wardrobe and something that I've learned to live by. I've read members like petruccijc comment on this a number of time and it has finally clicked with me. Without regard to occasion or season, just wear what you like. The only way to be satisfied is to wear what you are in the mood for, what your inner frag snob is quietly whispering to you to wear. To deny this is to deny your own personal satisfaction and also denies the logic of owning a particular fragrance. If you have it, you are craving it, by all means wear it. After all, who are you trying to please?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I wear whatever fragrance I feel like. My wardrobe is full of fairly versatile fragrances.
    Last edited by Dennard; 16th July 2010 at 11:52 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Regularly. I never really contemplate what might be deemed appropriate. I just go with whatever I feel like at the time.

separation of church and state? Amen. Ironic no?
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I never have a difficult time deciding on which fragrance to wear. Each morning I just know what scent I want to smell and that is what I wear.... Desire is the only rule!

I never go with the grain , I wear what I fancy and if it is inappropriate then c'est la vie !

AromiErotici

The only fun I have is wearing whatever I want anytime I want. What you chose to wear today is totally appropriate.

I'm in the dugout coaching my squad in 90 degree plus heat wearing Kouros. If I'm in the mood for something light, that's what I reach for. A few less sprays in the heat for the heavyweights and it's good to go.

They should be thankful in a courtroom that you're sporting some juice that's smells good. With all the drama and bull$#@! that goes on in there, a nice scent wafting around is a much needed distraction.

Wear what ever I want whenever I feel like wearing it.

However, as you've mentioned A*Men I have a quite funny story to tell, not sure if it's offtopic though.

I once was every upset and angry with my ex boss. The bitch gave the position that I was after for about a year to his friend who absolutely has no experience at all. I was not the one who sat there and let bitches do me like that. So my plan was to confront the bitch, kick his ass and quit.

That morning, I wore A*Men, double the amount that I usually wore and shattered the A*Men decant (unintentionally). After the big company meeting in which he introduced his friend for the position, I pulled him back to our little meeting room. And to my surprised, the bitch agreed with everything I demand and gave that position to me with both hands. He sure looked scared. LoL

Maybe it was because he knew that if I left at that moment then he would never be able to survive or maybe it was because of the way I smelled, hehe.

Anyway, as Katie said: "how do you spell drama?" "A.N.G.E.L". Well, in my case we should add "M.E.N"
    LMAO
    Last edited by jasonx; 16th July 2010 at 02:09 PM.

Do you plead guilty to trying to perverse the course of justice by causing the witness to faint?

I wear what I want, when I want, where I want. If that means going against the grain, mea culpa.

No, shamu, you are not unusual. You are simply wearing what you like. It's a statement. It's like wearing a crisp white shirt, removing the collar stays, but wearing cufflinks...paired with your favourite jeans.

Coco Chanel was all for breaking sartorial rules. I am sure she'd feel the same about fragrance.
    Last edited by Primrose; 16th July 2010 at 05:17 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I wear whatever I want whenever I want. I might tailor the application to the situation -- fewer sprays if my scent needs to be discreet. But I have a lot of freedom at my place of work (and am mostly working at home these days, anyway); plus I live in a moderate climate. So just about anything goes...
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I always go against the grain because I Love many of the Bond No.9 scents.....All of the wise cracks and negative remarks will never stop me!!! I also go against the grain with my Love of Gio and Code Pour Homme by Armani, and Polo Black, Double Black, Blue, Red White and Blue by RL.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
    Do you plead guilty to trying to perverse the course of justice by causing the witness to faint?
    Oh yeah it was great. During cross-examination I didn't have to ask the witness a single question. I just let him smell me, and he confessed that he'd made the whole thing up.

Next time I'm in Court, I'm gonna layer it with Joop Homme and Salvador Dali PH. I could get Charles Manson a "Not Guilty" with that combo.
    Last edited by shamu1; 16th July 2010 at 05:24 PM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more, petruccijc. Life would get dull if we all had to wear Chrome to work.

I can't tell you how many times I've walked into courtrooms wearing big patchouli frags. If I think I smell good, I'm going to feel good, and I'm going to do a better job.
    Exactly. I work in a fairly conservative environment. So my fragrance is my way of expressing myself. I find it humorous when people say things like "it's an office friendly fragrance". IMO, just about any fragrance can be worn to the office - it's just a matter of application.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

When I hear the phrase, "It's a great fragrance to wear to the office", I interpret that as meaning, "It's a really boring fragrance."

When I hear the phrase, "It's a great fragrance to wear to the office", I interpret that as meaning, "It's a really boring fragrance."
    LOL, shamu! What comes to mind with "evening scent" descriptions? Lots of vanilla, spice or patchouli. Again, I don't use rules for SOTD, SOTA or SOTE. I wear what my nose wants me to wear.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

its a hot summer day in July and im wearing A*Men aswell. been wearing it 3 days in a row now i think...ive been wearing winter frags all summer too. i wear what i like

i go against it sometimes, depending on where and my mood i wear certain things, i wore opium yesterday in the hot weather.

Sur la Plage

I totally agree.

I have a small wardrobe, so I really don't have enough scents to cover all the "rules". I think wearing heavier fragrances in the suumer is fine considering most people spend the majority of their time in an air conditioned enviroment... Though I couldn't imagine wearing something like A*Men to the gym for example...

... Wish me luck.
    Good luck! BTW, I wore Joop! in my last wrestling competition. No scents are allowed during the matches, so I applied it first time in the morning. Still, I could get whiffs of the time of the match, which BTW, I almost won.

I do as you do, I don't follow the usual criteria when wearing scents. For instance, I wear orientals in the Summer, or best of all, unknow dirty cheap scents when attending formal meetings, something I personally enjoy a lot, and even more so if complimented.

Not intentionally.

I understand what you're saying, but there is no grain unless you imagine and create one. The universe sure as hell doesn't know anything about grains. It only knows about you feeling good.

Either way, I prefer to let my energy flow downstream at all times. Grains are about a lack of freedom.

So let it flow, and let the others spend time struggling with their grains.
    Last edited by pluran; 17th July 2010 at 06:51 AM.

Hell yeah! Sometimes I'll deliberately pick "summer" citruses during the cold months and be in love that I'm so free to go against the "grain" and even against my own "grain", because I like citruses best in the summer. I delight in mixing things up with expectations and reality, just like taking the joy of Amen in the courtroom as you describe, Shamu. Sometimes these juxtapositions, against my own instinctive thoughts or previous habits, make the whole day a great scent joy, exactly what I like to have for a day.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

In some ways. Once I decided to wear Burberry London when it was in the 70s and man it was cloying. Ever since then I decided to not wear warm fragrances in the heat.. it just messes me up. When it comes to situations like going to a certain place then I wear whatever. I don't really care where I'm going. I don't have anything too unusual that people will be offended by so I'm in the clear
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I wear whatever I fancy wearing all the time. There are very rare exceptions of this.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Word up Pluran.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Rules? What/whose rules? ;o)
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

On the same general note, this summer I have found both A*Men and Joop Homme to be very comfortable to wear in hot weather. Goes against 90% of the BN reviews (e.g., "And oh, don't EVER wear Joop in the summer!!!!"). It's all in application for me, really.

No.