Code of Conduct

Default Lanvin Arpege PH Question?

So I just bought a 1 oz Lanvin Arpege PH. Really like the opening, the rest is arguable, but I will see as I spend more time with it before reviewing it. My question, or questions rather. The top seems to not snap on, is this normal? At least on the 1 oz bottle, this is the case with mine. No matter how hard I press down, it won't snap closed, and no matter which way I turn it. My other question is is the sprayer supposed to be pretty oozy? Again this is the 1 oz bottle size (others may be better made) This seems to be the case with John Varvatos in the 4.2 oz as well. But it's actually far worse on Arpege, it's very oozy no matter how I spray it.

Default Re: Lanvin Arpege PH Question?

I have a 1 oz bottle.
    top rotates easily but feels secure. doesn't leak, has fair spraying strength, if that's what you meant.

I don't like the scent much. vanilla and tonka way out of proportion for my perception of my masculine self.

Colognist, my bottle has a really loose cap too. This has been mentioned before in the forum, and I know others have the same loose fitting cap. It just falls off the bottle. I think it's supposed to be like that, which is weird. But no, my atomizer does not leak. THAT I don't think is supposed to happen.

Thanks sarip and shamu. I'll just deal with the oozy sprayer then, and be sure not to lift the bottle up by the cap lol. Can't really complain on the juice itself for 9.99 for an oz, I'm enjoying it thus far, and seem to like it more and more as I wear it.

My 100 ml bottle has a loose cap too!

Thumbs up Re: Lanvin Arpege PH Question?

Arpege pour Homme is one of my all-time favorite fragrances. Give it several full day wears, The_Cologneist, and I think you will warm up to it. With respect to the loose cap issue.......I own bottles in the 100 ml, 50 ml and 30 ml quantities, and all of them have loose fitting caps (a design flaw, no doubt). However; all three bottles have very well functioning sprayers. No problem there. I think you just got a bum sprayer. I know that this is a very 'mature' scent, but I think that a younger guy like you could pull this one off and really appreciate it if you give it a chance. Give it a test with the babes....they should swoon. For me, the only fragrance that gets more female compliments than Arpege pour Homme is Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene (with Carlos Santana for Men a close third place)!

You are a rake, SillageMonger!
    ..and thanks for this recommendation!
    Last edited by easyfish; 17th July 2010 at 07:49 AM.

What the hell is a "RAKE", easyfisch?????? Bitte, erklaeren Sie dies fuer mich!

Aber gerne, mein Herr!
    I found this phrase in an online dict
    synonyms: charmer, philanderer,..
    in German: Schwerenöter

Mine 30ml bottle that i have just bought, has a loose cap ,too!The spraying system of the bottle functions just right!!!
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I had LAPH once, before i got into my now-permanent sweet-frag persuation. Gave it away. However, if you guys insist, i will give it another go. "What Sillage likes, i likes" has been one of my yardsticks, sooo.... ;o)

The loose cap is a design flaw which i noticed with my bottle. The sprayer was good though.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by SillageMonger View Post
    Arpege pour Homme is one of my all-time favorite fragrances. Give it several full day wears, The_Cologneist, and I think you will warm up to it. With respect to the loose cap issue.......I own bottles in the 100 ml, 50 ml and 30 ml quantities, and all of them have loose fitting caps (a design flaw, no doubt). However; all three bottles have very well functioning sprayers. No problem there. I think you just got a bum sprayer. I know that this is a very 'mature' scent, but I think that a younger guy like you could pull this one off and really appreciate it if you give it a chance. Give it a test with the babes....they should swoon. For me, the only fragrance that gets more female compliments than Arpege pour Homme is Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene (with Carlos Santana for Men a close third place)!
    I definitley see this as a more mature fragrance as well, but it smells great. I find often for mature scents to be boring, this one isn't. Sort of reminds me of Live Jazz in ways. Live Jazz which I under appreciated at first turned out to be a very well made nearly beautiful scent. I'm feeling the same way with this one. I've already reapplied several times though, because it does stay very close to the skin after the top notes fade.

Banned

My 50 ml (1,7 oz) bottle has a loose cap.
    May I add that this outstanding fume is great on women, too? The nutmeg, jasmine and vanilla is delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Madame du Barry View Post
    My 50 ml (1,7 oz) bottle has a loose cap.
    May I add that this outstanding fume is great on women, too? The nutmeg, jasmine and vanilla is delicious.
    I would imagine this smelling very sexy and exotic on a woman, particularly with the dark licorice note in it (at least that's what it smells like to me).

Arpege PH is also a favorite of mine. For me, it's kind of like a wearable version of Egoiste. It is very multifaceted and colorful, leaning towards the darker colors. I love it.
    Last edited by shamu1; 17th July 2010 at 01:10 PM.

yeah I like it on my wife as well.

A fairly bland oriental with great top notes.

It's as if they took Lanvin Homme, threw in the necessary oriental parts (plenty of the popular clean vanilla), and it worked well enough to stop there.

It smells a lot better than it wears. If you're looking for mystery, even a decent short story, it isn't there.

But after all that, I can imagine that many people will like it. You definitely can't accuse it of smelling bad, but while the word safe as a fragrance description is used far too often, applying it to Arpege pour Homme feels right on. I don't even find it particularly efficient as a comfort fragrance. It just feels a little cheap. But the only opinion that means anything is your own............

And my cap was loose, too. Leave the cap off and you'll feel better.

I have a love / hate relation with Arpege PH.

I love the opening, which to my nose is quite masculine.
    But the drydown is so bland and boring. And feminine.
    This feels to me like the nose delivered an unfinished product to Lanvin.

That being said, the longevity and sillage is great with this stuff.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 19th July 2010 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks guys for all the feedback, it helped me in wanting to spend a lot of time exclusively with this fragrance. Concluding this review.. and giving those following this thread who haven't yet tried the fragrance a sneak peak <self lol> into the review that will eventually get published (I'm sure 3 months from now :/ )

I may be reviewing this one sooner than I should, but I have been wearing it a bit lately. I do like it, but it is very humid, so I'm not getting much longevity from it. Sometimes a fragrance does well in humidity, other times it doesn't. This is a summer fragrance that would work better on those less humid days. Ideally 80 degree weather with a breeze.

At first it's a tangy nectarine, orange and citrus blast, that quickly calms down into more of an sweet orange or perhaps mandarin, orange blossom, iris, and vanilla. There is a cotton candy element that seems to make its mark and weaves in and out, but it is not a sickly gourmand sweetness, nor is it cloying in any way. In ways the structure of this fragrance is very similar to Live Jazz, because it's light yet always there, it's very intriguing though not entirely unique. It just gets your nose a sniffing all over. It is more of a skin scent, so if you're looking for projection, you're looking in the wrong place. And, as many others have stated it feels very mature and sophisticated, worth more than what you pay, and I agree with that entirely. It also feels unisex as well, but more so as it dries down, when more of the floral notes emerge and it stays near the skin. I also get a carnation flower accord which is pretty noticeable. The base is actually my favorite part, unlike many others, although I wish it would project a little more. It's like oranges and cream with some vanilla and soft florals. I don't at all get any sandalwood or "precious woods" from the base. Maybe I'm just too fixated on the base that I'm enjoying and experiencing good ole.. (wait for it) ole.. ole.. olfactory fatigue. YES the most used term here on Basenotes. I get no woods at all but i do get a little patchouli.

There are some flaws though, none within the fragrance itself. It's quite a beauty. The bottles cap though doesn't fit on securely, which is bothersome for many. And, I was one of the unfortunate ones to have an oozing sprayer. It trickles down and all over the place, and I lose a bit of juice when using it. Although the bottle is a beauty, very much a modern and abstract design. I'll just hope for a better sprayer the next time I purchase it. With emphasis on the words "next time", I do intend on purchasing this stuff again, it's a keeper for sure.

So is Arpege pH worth the price? Yes. Simply put. You can get a 1 oz bottle at discounters for 10 bucks. I see this stuff being exclusive to the Miller Harris house for some reason, which sell overpriced skin scents for the most part. I think that if you did a blind test of this to somebody even if they were not a fragrance enthusiast, they would assume this was from a high end niche boutique. Excellent.
    My only problem is picking a good time of year to wear this, it's summer now, and it can be pulled off, but I for one would rather use these humid months to find a fragrance that projects well during them.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 19th July 2010 at 02:17 AM.

I had two bottles that leaked, M7 and Rochas Man, and it was annoying. Out of desperation I pulled out the sprayer applicator and put a drop of supper glue around the base of the plastic pipe ( where the leak was ) and let it dry for a minute and put the sprayer applicator back on. That fixed the problem, no more leaks. You can give it a shot.
    Good luck.

I like APH and I bought a 1oz that has a slight drippy nozzle. Not as bad as what the OP is talking about but after I use it there is just a bit of wetness around the hole. I rub my finger on it and then on my third eye as a 'blessing'...haha.

Funny story about this frag. About two weeks ago I had a serious sinus clog going on. I never really have anything like this happen. It was clogged for almost two weeks. I thought maybe it was allergies even though it never happened to me before. I hated it cause I couldn't smell any of my frags on me after the first couple mins. Once the dry down was on I couldn't smell anything. Well I was just kicking around the house one night being a sick dog and decided to try the APH to see if I could smell that longer than 2 mins. Within a few minutes my sinuses started to drain like a biatch. I started blowing my nose and it all started coming out. Literally when I blew even my earholes were clearing out. I had never experienced anything like it.

I thought I had found the magic elixir of eternal youth or something I was so happy. By morning I was all clogged back up. I used it again and it did help but not the same as the night before. Maybe it wasn't as bad as the night before but it did clear out my nasal passages better than what I had woken up to. It was funny, though.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Weak projection? Unless what you're really after is a fragrance with a 'mass casualty killing radius', I say Lanvin Arpege pH projects well enough. My colleagues and I get the occasional whiffs throughout the day even with 2 sprays to the chest. I bought a 4.2 oz tester early last year and its been my wardrobe icon since I joined BN. At the price, LApH is a tough nut to crack. I like the bottle but the slightly loose cap is just a design oversight.

Yup, my 30ml bottle has a loose cap but the sprayer is OK. My Halston Z-14 is the same - everytime I forget and pick it up by the cap....THUNK! - it falls on the floor...dammit! You think I'd learn by now....stupid Derbyman!

Lanvin Arpege PH is a fab scent though - really like it despite my tendency to avoid sweeter smelling fragrances. It's the vanilla note I love - it is prominent but never overpowers the overall fragrance - seems to behave a bit like Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men in that the less you apply, the better it smells. Lasts all day on me in the cold UK climate!
    Last edited by Derbyman; 19th July 2010 at 09:36 AM.

My 100 ml bottle thankfully doesn't have a loose cap.

I have a tester that was acquired when it came out in '05 and yes, the cap is loose. Regarding the scent, it's nice but never compelling. Like most folks here, the topnotes are quite inviting and as they fade, so does my enthusiasm.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976