Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Niche Fragrances--Advice PLEASE!

If you were to give a newbie (me) advice on Niche Fragrances, which House of Fragrance would you suggest I start with, and why? Thanks

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Niche Fragrances--Advice PLEASE!

L'Artisan - they have a wide range of fragrances to try
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Serge Lutens is a fine niche house to explore imo.

Default Niche Fragrances--Advice PLEASE!

Tauer Perfumes' scents are an absolute must-try.
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

As you're in Northern California why not have a look at Sonoma Scent Studio (www.sonomascentstudio.com). Their fragrances are nigh on impossible to get hold of over here in the UK but I've heard good things about them.

Creed seems like the most approachable niche house for people new to fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    Creed seems like the most approachable niche house for people new to fragrances.
    i agree, serge lutens, le labo and frederic malle are nice too

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    As you're in Northern California why not have a look at Sonoma Scent Studio (www.sonomascentstudio.com). Their fragrances are nigh on impossible to get hold of over here in the UK but I've heard good things about them.
    You can easily order them for delivery to the UK, just email Laurie first. I agree that this is a really good house, especially for a Northern Californian person.

Other than that; Serge Lutens, Frederic Malle and Creed are good houses to start with.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

I think Creed and L'Artisan are great "entry level" houses to explore. They have great scents that are a little less challenging and quirky. Uncommon, yet easy to appreciate. Like petruccijc said, L'Artisan has a good variety as well.

Serge Lutens is by far the most satisfying house for me. I believe it is because I have a strong preference for sweet orientals, and they seem to churn them out with good consistency and quality. If you have a strong interest in orientals, be sure to explore SL extensively. They have much more hits than misses.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    As you're in Northern California why not have a look at Sonoma Scent Studio
    Can't agree more. Definitely one of my favorite indie perfume outfits - love many of their scents.

Post Thanks / Like

I greatly enjoy many of the houses which have already been mentioned - but if I may - I'd like to throw Parfums de Nicolai in the mix. I've yet to experience one of her fragrances which I didn't REALLY enjoy, and the price point of this house (IMO) makes it a perfect "beginner" niche house. May I suggest New York or Patchouli Homme as your first samples.

I strongly suggest that you check out the Luckyscent website (www.luckyscent.com). Their website is set up so that the fragrances
    that they carry can be divided up into categories. You can then narrow your search based on certain notes, frag category, and even
    popularity. Many, but not all, can be sampled for about 3 dollars a piece plus S&H.

Definitely L'Artisan. For the reasons stated above.
    And BradW is right, Lucky Scent is the place to go.
    Last edited by ajmc; 9th July 2010 at 06:03 PM.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Creed - easily obtainable.

Post Thanks / Like

Serge Lutens and L'artisan Parfumeur

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

KNIZE

only because it is impossible to obtain, and you will drive yourself crazy. and i'd love for more people to watch lose their mind. thanks in advance.

PawelL

Try New York by Parfums de Nicolai.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I strongly suggest that you check out the Luckyscent website (www.luckyscent.com). Their website is set up so that the fragrances
    that they carry can be divided up into categories. You can then narrow your search based on certain notes, frag category, and even
    popularity. Many, but not all, can be sampled for about 3 dollars a piece plus S&H.
    I second lucky scent. They're a good store with a lot of selection.

Also check out Aedes de Venustas (www.aedes.com). They have a lot houses to select from, like Creed, Serge Lutens, and Santa Maria Novella.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

Creed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello,

The Different Company makes many Incredible Fragrances from the Classic to the Modern. A great and wonderful Plus is that for for a mere $71.76, they will send you Two 2ml Bottles of every single Fragrance in their large line! This is a Fantastic Bargain (22 Lovely Square Labeled Bottles Equalling 44ml/1.5oz!!!) and will keep you in Discovery Mode for a long time! I love them all Truly... After buying their 'Miniatures Collection' I bought the largest bottle (250ml) of Rose Poivree' they make! The Different Company was started by famous Parfumer and Nose 'Jean Claude Ellena' and he now works with his Talented Prodigee Daughter - Celine Ellena.

De Pre en Fille Depuis 2000. ;~)

here is a link directly to their miniature purchase page:
    http://www.thedifferentcompany.com/m...duct_info.html

One of the most underappreciated but fantastic resources is ParfumsRaffy, They are one of the few places that will sell Carded Samples of High end Niche And Designer Fragrance Houses (Amouage, Creed etc. +++) Like you, they are in California so shipping is basically overnight,... (same with Luckyscent)
    Here is a link to their Samples:
    http://www.parfumsraffy.com/samples.html

and a special (hard to find) link to buy AMOUAGE Carded Factory Made Logo Sprayers! (Lovely!)
    http://www.parfumsraffy.com/amouagesampleset.html
    I just bought 4 Jubilation XXV (8ml total) for $24 +shipping! ;~)

You're sure to eventually discover the (IMO) Finest form of fragrance, Fragrance Oils and Attars! (Oudh Wood, Taif Rose, Jasmine, Frankinscense, many of the highest order of natural ingredients are used (in high concentration) in Perfume Oils and 'Attars'). Here is a reliable company in California for this as well - www.AgarscentsBazaar.com

;~) Enjoy your fragrant Journey! ;~)

WoodyBois
    Last edited by WoodyBois; 10th July 2010 at 07:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post, Woody. I would also recomend Soivohle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

kwhitneyn ... Soivohle - Oudh Lacquer. When you're right you're right, looks like they Refuse to cowtow to the i.f.r.a. and revel in their use of Naturals! I thank you! I will order a small decant. Lacquer in the very name, It sounds nice n' strong!!! ;~)

Post Thanks / Like

I also really like their Daybreak Violin, and Blood Orange & Vetiver. This vetiver is very dry, it reminds me of L'air du desert marocain. The Daybreak Violin is almost the oposite of the Oudh Lacquer, very light and cheery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are looking for Niche as an artistical approach towards perfume I also suggest Tauer (most interesting, distintive perfumer I know) l'Artisan for their sheer massive rage of offerings and Comme de Garcon, maybe incense series, for their use of not-that-popular notes (among the public that is).

I wouldnt recommend Creed as I dont consider it truly niche.
    Creed is too easily obtainable, too focused on pleasing as many uptown people as possible without risking any economical losses due to originality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

aw, and a second on lucky scent

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many great houses. In my experience, once you find a house you like, you're likely to like several fragrances from that particular house and with some other houses you may not find that their particular style suits you at all. I have no problem with the houses that have been recommended so far, L'Artisan being a favorite of mine, but I'd also add Lorenzo Villoresi, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier (MPG), and Parfum d'Empire to the list of houses to explore. When I first started exploring niche houses, I started by simply reading the lists of notes and finding houses who seemed to be going in directions that I found interesting. Since you're in northern California, you can get samples from Lucky Scent, as has been suggested, or The Perfume Shoppe in B.C. for Villoresi samples.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your wonderful advice! I am visiting all the new sites you have recommended, ordering samples, and making the Paypal computers smoke! Keep all the great info coming! I've got the BUG!

iedei:
    It's not impossible to get Knize, in fact it isn't even difficult!
    You just order it frn Knize in Vienna, Austria. They don't have a fancy webshop but if you e-mail them they will ship it and charge your credit card. I got my Knize Ten directly from them, no problem!
    http://knize.at/de/content/1.html

Post Thanks / Like

Creed and MPG.
    They have different bottles for the masculine and feminine scents, and you don't have to muck around figuring out which is which.
    With many of the other brands you have to put up with the "[I]they can be used by anybody[/I]" nonsense that the sales ladies often spout in Europe.
    At least in Australia they more often say "[I]they can be used by anybody, but these three are more masculine and the rest are more feminine[/I]"

To be fair though, when I walked into the L'Artisan shop in Paris, the girls there were a lot more helpful - immediately pointing me to the five or six masculine scents that they had, and my wife to the feminine ones.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 10th July 2010 at 06:20 PM.

I'd recommend sampling some a "representative" scent or two from a bunch of houses. Then, based on which of those you like, you'll know which houses to explore first.

Of course, then there is the question of what scent(s) are best representative of a house's style. I think the general BN majority might say something like this (for starters):

Montale: Black Aoud
    MPG: Santal Noble, Ambre Precieux
    Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    Creed: Green Irish Tweed, Bois du Portugal
    Serge Lutens: Chergui, Ambre Sultan
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 10th July 2010 at 07:17 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The good thing about The Different Company is the 'General Majority' aren't all wearing them, hence the term 'niche',..
    Another Great place for the highest of the high end Niche Samples: Aedes de Venustas in New York @ 9 Christropher St.www.aedes.com
    for $15 they will send you 7 lovely samples of pretty much anything they have and they generally add a few extra in if they get a feel for what notes you like based on your list! Co-owners Karl and Robert are Wonderful Knowledgable Gentlemen that are very customer satisfaction oriented! Truly (and Only) the Best of the Best at their Boutique!
    Last edited by WoodyBois; 18th July 2010 at 03:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'd recommend sampling some a "representative" scent or two from a bunch of houses. Then, based on which of those you like, you'll know which houses to explore first.

Of course, then there is the question of what scent(s) are best representative of a house's style. I think the general BN majority might say something like this (for starters):

Montale: Black Aoud + Red Aoud
    MPG: Santal Noble, Ambre Precieux + Parfum d'Habit
    Amouage: Jubilation XXV + Gold Man + Lyric Man
    Serge Lutens: Chergui, Ambre Sultan + Musk Koublai Khan
    This
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

"That" WAS PETTY.

Pettiness and passive aggression everywhere. It was the very epitome of pettiness to add that last post. His post was clearly passive aggresively overuling and undermining mine. Rather than just simply adding to the conversation, he had to 'go there'. You just showed you're own pettiness by implying one opinion is relevant and not another.

I don't see you offering anything except pettiness and a single word. How perspicacious.

You posted minutes after I did, were you just sitting and waiting for someone to give you a reason to live and post?

I can't believe the increasing pettiness of online sites,.. Would you be so quick to completely dismiss another persons opinion if you were in the same room?

You "Sir" are an internet coward.
    Last edited by WoodyBois; 18th July 2010 at 04:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyBois View Post
    "That" WAS PETTY.

Pettiness and passive aggression everywhere. It was the very epitome of pettiness to add that last post. His post was clearly passive aggresively overuling and undermining mine. Rather than just simply adding to the conversation, he had to 'go there'. You just showed you're own pettiness by implying one opinion is relevant and not another.

I don't see you offering anything except pettiness and a single word. How perspicacious.

You posted minutes after I did, were you just sitting and waiting for someone to give you a reason to live and post?

I can't believe the increasing pettiness of online sites,.. Would you be so quick to completely dismiss another persons opinion if you were in the same room?

I don't know what you're talking about and I've re-read most of the posts on the thread trying to find out. I think you are miles off base and completely inappropriate. The gentleman's post above your last one is a contribution to the thread of his thought in agreement with another posting. It has nothing to do with yours.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your opinion. I still think his post was suspisciously close to the timing of mine. Parroting responses from other people isn't exactly the most effective means of sharing one's own opinion. Posts here are filled to the HUNDREDS level with people 'SECONDING' others words that have already been clearly stated.

For this and my stated reason I totally disagree with you as is my right.
    Last edited by WoodyBois; 18th July 2010 at 04:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your opinion. I still think his post was suspisciously close to the timing of mine. Parroting responses from other people isn't exactly the most effective means of sharing one's own opinion. Posts here are filled to the HUNDREDS level with people 'SECONDING' others words that have already been clearly stated.

For this and my stated reason I totally disagree with you as is my right.
    Sir, I think you have an unreasonable standard that will lead you to being very unhappy here. Members are free to contribute their thoughts with the ease they find appropriate and it's even thought kind and respectful when a friend or member with history, devotion to the forum, and lengthy service to the membership, seconds a post as happened here.

"That" WAS PETTY.

Someone forgot to take their meds.
    Lighten up, Francis!
    Last edited by ajmc; 18th July 2010 at 04:53 AM. Reason: typo
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Someone forgot to take their meds.
    Lighten up, Francis!
    i'm just honest. People these days could do with a lot more of that. Almost every word I have written here has been met with cold derision and passive 'under the radar'
    aggresion. Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

People come here to get an 'Arrogance Fix' and I simply won't be the butt of it!

Post Thanks / Like

i'm just honest. People these days could do with a lot more of that. Almost every word I have written here has been met with cold derision and passive 'under the radar'
    aggresion. Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

People come here to get an 'Arrogance Fix' and I simply won't be the butt of it!
    Gotcha. I think now we see what's really going on here.

I only want to add that members are also able to make posts at any time, especially lively ones like this one. It would be a fool's errand to work to see a post's timing as a slight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well that was nice. One of the first nice things said to me here to date! If you can consider I might have a point, I can consider I may be mis-interpreting. I just live in L.A. and people are Horrible, Viscious Monsters here. Rude, impatient, I'm from a little town in Northern New Hampshire, My opinion of people may be starting to be tainted by this city. I will consider that. Hard to know when to turn off the instinctual hyper-defensivness utterly necessary here.
    Thanks for the reasonable, thoughtful response! Maybe i'm not alone after all.
    Last edited by WoodyBois; 18th July 2010 at 05:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that was nice. One of the first nice things said to me here to date! If you can consider I might have a point, I can consider I may be mis-interpreting. I just live in L.A. and people are Horrible, Viscious Monsters here. Rude, impatient, I'm from a little town in Northern New Hampshire, My opinion of people may be starting to be tainted by this city. I will consider that. Hard to know when to turn off the instinctual hyper-defensivness utterly necessary here.
    Thanks for the reasonable, thoughtful response! Maybe i'm not alone after all.
    What a delight to be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is the point where I'm expected to insert a 'LOL' and make believe negativity isn't negativity and people aren't really Animals.

LOL! oh, LOL!!!

There ya go.

My Avatar is Francis Bacon. He was Honest too.
    Last edited by WoodyBois; 18th July 2010 at 05:44 AM.

If you're referring to ohhmygod's post, he did add his own suggestions to SculptureOfSoul's*.

* not that there's anything wrong or cowardly to seconding someone else's opinion, IMHO.

Montale: Black Aoud
    MPG: Santal Noble, Ambre Precieux
    Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    Creed: Green Irish Tweed, Bois du Portugal
    Serge Lutens: Chergui, Ambre Sultan
    Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Montale: Black Aoud + Red Aoud
    MPG: Santal Noble, Ambre Precieux + Parfum d'Habit
    Amouage: Jubilation XXV + Gold Man + Lyric Man
    Serge Lutens: Chergui, Ambre Sultan + Musk Koublai Khan
    This
    Last edited by zliang; 18th July 2010 at 06:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

"That" WAS PETTY.

Errrr Get may be some kind of lens.

@zliang: thanks
    Last edited by ohhmygod; 18th July 2010 at 06:38 AM.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"