Code of Conduct

Default I like Tom of Finland. Do you?

it's not loud, it's close to the skin..subtle, sexy.. sometimes a bit too synthetic. I prefer it to bvlgari black..
    it's the one I would choose to buy from Etat Libre d'orange
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Dependent

Default Re: I like Tom of Finland. Do you?

Absolutely. Have it and love it.

Sur la Plage

I do!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Just bought a sample of this a few weeks ago and have been testing it on and off since then. It's pleasant enough but I can't say I'm absolutely wild about it; I find it nowhere near as sexy and/or naughty as the name and packaging suggest. To me, the ideal "Tom of Finland" scent would be a cross between something like Yatagan and Alexander McQueen Kingdom, maybe with a little bit of Secretions Magnifique thrown in to make things interesting ...

Yes, the artist and the scent!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Well, I adore his drawings ... yes yes yes!
    His fragrance, hmm? Never tryed it!

I would like to try this based on the notes.

I also admire the cutting edge guts of ELdO to publish a scent based on Tom of Finland's art. On the other hand, I like Delicious Closet Queen.
    Last edited by Primrose; 17th July 2010 at 05:14 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I don't think that the the concept (gay's scent) made mine opinion about the scent...
    I have ordered the whole set of ELdO scents and liked this one.
    It's not an impressive scent. very shy, very light, discreet...Like L'air du temps....
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Not at all.

It's a little weird, but not interestingly weird, just synthetic pushed a little bit in an uncomfortable direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    It's a little weird, but not interestingly weird, just synthetic pushed a little bit in an uncomfortable direction.
    uhhh....what a harsh critique ))))

Basenotes Institution

Too. Much. Powder.

Blech

I look at his drawings and I laugh at how over the top and ridiculous they are. I remember being bored as a kid and drawing cartoon boners on some of my baseball cards; I was really embarrassed when my mom found them! If I were gay, I'd probably still find his art more comical than erotic.

As to the scent-- it annoys me how much I ALMOST love it. Like Mike_P says, too much powder. The opening is really unique and I like it, but I absolutely can't stand the drydown. The opening sets such a scene-- I get rugged leather and pine and also a really soft delicate contrasting vulnerable note-- I imagine it's true to the concept, and the execution almost works, but after a few minutes, I can't stand what it turns into. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Not at all.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    and THIS too
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Boring, synthetic and too powdery.

I like it. So do other people when I wear it. Double win.

I own it and love it. Love the leather. I own 7 ELdO's altogether. I love ELdO!
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Own it and enjoy it. It's one of the most wearable ELDO releases.

The saffrony leather smells comes from the aromachemical Safraleine, which I am a big fan of.

From the Givaudan link:

Safraleine™

Code no: 0015893

Olfactive note: Leathery, Spicy, Woody, Warm
    Description: Safraleine has a very unique warm and vibrant character offering a new alternative to existing spicy odorants. Safraleine exhibits warm, powerful, leathery and tobacco facets but its complexity also reveals characteristics of spices reminiscent of natural saffron, enriched by rose ketone-like floral aspects

Chemical name:
    2,3,3-Trimethylindan-1-one

Formula: C12H14O
    Molecular weight: 174.2
    CAS No.: 54440-17-4
    Log Pow: 2.9
    Vapour pressure @20°C: 0.0120 hPa

Unfortunately, I get a strong and ongoing impression of both vanilla and safraleine from this one, and neither of these notes really works for me. I usually find vanilla cloying and saffron just slightly unpleasant; alas, it's the same in Tom of Finland.

That said, I can certainly see why some people love this. It's interesting and well constructed.

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    Own it and enjoy it.
    this! Not a masterpiece but surely head and shoulders above the average quality available on the market.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

For the price, this stuff is great, and sure, it is a fine saffron-y leather scent. If you are familiar with the overtly homoerotic artwork of Tom of Finland, it makes this fragrance even more fun/funny to wear.

If you panic about the longevity of a fragrance than fear not with this one, it persists for hours, and can almost withstand a shower.

AromiErotici

I dig it enough to add a bottle.

I'm 16 year old heterosexual and I unknowingly googled the title.
    what has been seen cannot be unseen.
    regret.

Quote Originally Posted by MFJ View Post
    Absolutely. Have it and love it.
    These would have been my words... it's easier to quote :P
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Gerard Butler - I am sorry if you are scarred by hypermasculine sexualized cartoons. I am sure by now you've seen worse graphic depictions of the female form during your time surfing the net. I give you a lot of credit for researching the inspiration of the fragrance - that requires an intelligent curiosity that will serve you well in the future.

As for the fragrance.. its nice.. but it doesn't fit the brand nor the inspiration. Granted Tom of Finland isn't Mapplethorpe (Gerard - do not look up Mapplethorpe or you will be scarred for life) - but there is definitely a filthy, dirty edge to his work.. to me the Eldo fragrance is a somewhat safe leather. I would think that Eldo would have put more of a twist on it with something animalic, skanky or dirty backroom.. kind of like how Black Orchid is rumored to have a note of "male crotch." When I got my sample, I thought it was nice but not amazing enough to warrant a fb. I have yet to buy a FB of Eldo - but at the top of my list are Philipino Houseboy, Je Suis un Homme, and Hotel Slut.

Quote Originally Posted by djron91 View Post
    @Gerard Butler - I am sorry if you are scarred by hypermasculine sexualized cartoons. I am sure by now you've seen worse graphic depictions of the female form during your time surfing the net. I give you a lot of credit for researching the inspiration of the fragrance - that requires an intelligent curiosity that will serve you well in the future.

As for the fragrance.. its nice.. but it doesn't fit the brand nor the inspiration. Granted Tom of Finland isn't Mapplethorpe (Gerard - do not look up Mapplethorpe or you will be scarred for life) - but there is definitely a filthy, dirty edge to his work.. to me the Eldo fragrance is a somewhat safe leather. I would think that Eldo would have put more of a twist on it with something animalic, skanky or dirty backroom.. kind of like how Black Orchid is rumored to have a note of "male crotch." When I got my sample, I thought it was nice but not amazing enough to warrant a fb. I have yet to buy a FB of Eldo - but at the top of my list are Philipino Houseboy, Je Suis un Homme, and Hotel Slut.
    I love Black Orchid. My sister told me today she wanted to buy me a bottle for Christmas.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Didn't expect to like this but I do. Riveting, powdery in a good way and the saffron kills! Unique and compelling.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

@djron
    maybe bro I can't tell :P anyway no offence to anyone though.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    this! Not a masterpiece but surely head and shoulders above the average quality available on the market.

+ 1

Good StuFFFFFFFFF!

As for the fragrance.. its nice.. but it doesn't fit the brand nor the inspiration.
    +1. I was seduced by the image but disappointed by the actuality. And not for the first time...

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard_Butler View Post
    I'm 16 year old heterosexual and I unknowingly googled the title.
    what has been seen cannot be unseen.
    regret.
    Sorry, man, that's gotta be tough. Hopefully you won't turn to stone.
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

I have yet to buy a FB of Eldo - but at the top of my list are Philipino Houseboy, Je Suis un Homme, and Hotel Slut.
    Phillipine Houseboy... have you tried it?? Howww!!!
    Can't wait for this to be released. I looove ElDO.
    I will definitely own more of them, but for now, I'm thoroughly enjoy my bottle of Rien, the best they've done so far in my opinion! Incredible scent.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Phillipine Houseboy... have you tried it?? Howww!!!
    Can't wait for this to be released. I looove ElDO.
    I will definitely own more of them, but for now, I'm thoroughly enjoy my bottle of Rien, the best they've done so far in my opinion! Incredible scent.
    I, too, love ELdO. It's my favorite house. I do hope they consider changing the name of Phillipine Houseboy, though. That is actually distasteful, IMO. I currently own 6 (Rien, ToF, J&C, V&T, JSuH, and PdP). I'm getting Noel au Balcon for Christmas and most of the others are on my wishlist. I will even own Secretions Magnifiques, one day out of principle, even though it makes me want to hurl. Viva l'ELdO!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    I, too, love ELdO. It's my favorite house. I do hope they consider changing the name of Phillipine Houseboy, though. That is actually distasteful, IMO. I currently own 6 (Rien, ToF, J&C, V&T, JSuH, and PdP). I'm getting Noel au Balcon for Christmas and most of the others are on my wishlist. I will even own Secretions Magnifiques, one day out of principle, even though it makes me want to hurl. Viva l'ELdO!
    Yay! Haha. I love it when people like ELdO, so many people slate them.
    To be fair, I like the name Phillipine Houseboy, it's so blatant and harmlessly racist, I don't think it's much worse than Gorilla's Ladyboy, only that's missing the word Thai. Well, it made me laugh when I first heard of it.
    I've sampled a lot of their stuff recently, really want the sample pack, will invest in that from Escentual.
    You're list is interesting, I really want Putain des Palaces, although I just don't get the harsh dirty leather I really want to be there at the base. Tried VeT recently, loved it, but, I have SL Tubereuse Criminelle, and the menthol aspects of tuberose that appear in both of them, well, I feel I have enough of that in my SL for now, but I love the dry down! It reminded me completely of Lonestar Memories only the menthol note is explained - tuberose rather than the Tauer toothpaste accord. I really didn't like Jasmine et Cigarette, it's just a bit too trashy for me :') I wish I could wear it though. And Charogne is another I tried recently, it reminded me very much of Kenzo Amour which I love, but, with a dirtier beginning. I prefer the Kenzo though as much as I hate to admit it.
    Struggling to find the next bottle of ELdO which I have to own :P it'll probably be Putain but i'll keep sampling! But yeh, Rien is just wonderful.
    Essay there sorry :P

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Too. Much. Powder.

Blech
    This. I wanted to like it: love the concept, like Tom Of Finland, but the scent is just so... uncomfortable. Like a camp queen's peach-powdered leather pants, NOT a worn leather seat on a rocker's motorbike. No offense to the camp queen, it's just not what I expected and would have liked it to be. I guess I am very picky when it comes to leather notes...

LL:

despite the name, ToF is not a leather, it is primarily a lemony saffron. As such, it can be enjoyed as is as a smooth and fresh everyday thing (as CDG2 Man). And I like it a lot. I don't get any peach or camp - just regular guy comfort.

But you are right that if you expect a true sm leather (a la Bandit), this is not it. (Neither is the incorrectly name Marquis de Sade, ie 1740).

cacio

Good call Cacio----- the more I think about this one, it's not nearly as leathery as one might hope for---- the saffron is a major player in this affair.

Its a great fragrance, but if you are looking for the leather angle that is portrayed in the imagery of this frag, Bandit is more Tom of Finland than Tom of Finland...

Own it, love it, wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    LL:

despite the name, ToF is not a leather, it is primarily a lemony saffron. As such, it can be enjoyed as is as a smooth and fresh everyday thing (as CDG2 Man). And I like it a lot. I don't get any peach or camp - just regular guy comfort.

But you are right that if you expect a true sm leather (a la Bandit), this is not it. (Neither is the incorrectly name Marquis de Sade, ie 1740).

cacio
    I see. Strange that I don't like it then, as I am very fond of saffron...

LL:

what's your take on Chanel cuir de russie? While it has no explicit saffron, it is also has a similar, smooth rendition of leather notes. Too bad Estee Lauder doesn't sell Azuree in Europe - that's a different, more worn motorbike seat, rendition.

cacio

Thanks for the suggestion Cacio, I haven't tried that one yet. As I said, I am very picky with leathers, don't like in-your-face leathers like Etro Gomma, for instance, but I do like them when they're sweetened or contrasted like in Boxeuses or Cuir Ottoman. I definitely should try the Chanel...

Sillage is awesome, can smell my trail all over the place

- - - Updated - - -

Sillage is awesome, can smell my trail all over the place
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes