Code of Conduct

Talking new to cologne please help.

hi,
    iv never really bought a cologne before. i am about to purchase a couple. i am currently trying to choose 2 from a&f fierce, aqua di gio, jean paul gautier le male, lacoste essential and burberry london. which 2 would you recommend? also are there any other suggestions?
    thanks

Default Re: new to cologne please help.

Hi. Welcome to basenotes. I'm gonna tell ya now. You ask the basenoters to give you suggestions, and you will certainly get your share of suggestions. Also, you will rarely get 100% approval for anything that you chose. I would recommend finding something that you like by testing someplace that has tester bottles. I wouldn't recommend getting to expensive initially. However, in an attempt to answer your question. I think Burberry London is good for winter wear. Essential is a fine green frag, best for spring. Aqua Di Gio is a classic,but you want to make sure that you stick out a bit. Try to find something that suits your personality. Also, the more information you provide (age, personality, location), the more we can help you. Good luck and keep asking questions. These guys are great and very helpful!

cheers for welcoming me to the site. i am 20 years old and live in london. i enjoy going out clubbing and i also work during the day. i am open to any suggestions guys, thanks for your help. i have tried aqua di gio and i liked it, but have yet to try the others.

Post Thanks / Like

If I cast my mind back to when I was a 20 something, from the list above I would be going for Acqua di Gio more for work and Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male for clubbing. Get yourself down to a local shop and don't be afraid to try some out.
    Welcome to the site as well

cheers, to be honest the ones which i am more drawn to after researching for a few days are aqua di gio, le male and a&f fierce. iv tried a few and i liked aqua di gio. i havent tried le male or fierce though. considering i am only going to buy 2, possibly 3(but that may be a bit costly) i think aqua di gio will definately be one of the ones i buy.

If London it is, then Burberry should be readily available. They have a lot of good stuff to test out. I don't know what types of scents are most popular over there, so I don't want you smelling like every other bloke in town. I'm an American myself. If I ever make over to London, I would love to visit a Ted Baker store and test their stock as well. I really like Endurance, and would love to try out some others as well.

i havent tried any burberry yet, but have heard really good stuff about burberry london and touch

Post Thanks / Like

From your choices: Le Male and London.
    Sniff some Guerlains.

try come creed, tom ford, le labo, frederic malle, serge lutens,etc niche to me is better than designer in my humble opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to a store that has lots of variety and test and test. Selfridges, Oxford St. in London is probably the best fragrance department for testing. You might also find a salesperson who is your age there who can work a variety of brands and counters to recommend choices. Check out Chanel Allure Homme Blanche and Sport Cologne, Paul Smith, Miller Harris, etc. Of those you mentioned above, I think Fierce might a more unusual choice for you although I guess A&F is starting to get established in the UK too. Just keep testing until the right one happens - you will know it when it does. Also, don't buy it until you have let it wear on for a while because many fragrances that smell wonderful in the first 30 minutes can be scrubbers after two or three hours. You want to be comfortable in it all day.

cheers fopr your answers guys. i am intrigued by fierce because it gets great reviews in the US, but people say that it is over worn. however, in the UK a&f is not as popular so not many people will wear it, making it quite unique in the UK, but also a great semlling cologne.

Burberry (Burberry London I think) & Aqua di Gio. A great start for a great interest. The Burberry can be worn on dates, winter walks, an evening at the opera etc. I suggest a whisper thin application if used at work (check your workplace guidelines/culture). The Aqua can be used any occasion in the spectrum other than when wearing a tuxedo or attending funerary events (just my opinion).
    Last edited by Sensual; 19th July 2010 at 03:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, welcome to the greatest forum site on the net.

Depends on what you like. Although you may not know the dynamics of fragrance notes or accords, you can tell us what aromas you enjoy. Do you like fruits? Maybe floral? Maybe sweet vanilla based? Or maybe something more exotic.

I'm not going to sway you away from the ones you are contemplating, they are all excellent selections. If those were put in front of me, I would grab Le Male and Burberry London; no questions asked.

The more you can tell us, the more we can tell you, and help you find something that best suits you.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    try come creed, tom ford, le labo, frederic malle, serge lutens,etc niche to me is better than designer in my humble opinion.
    Hence the price!

I think A&F is a good call, I've never smelled anyone else wearing it (I live in Nottingham).