Code of Conduct

Question I have caron third man-should i also blind buy caron pour un homme?

Hi folks.i blind bought caron"s third man fragrance and it is outstanding.Am considering blind buying caron pour un homme as i believe it has a beautiful lavender accord and it was carons debut scent for a man.Is there any difference between third man and pour un homme and would it be a safe blind buy like third man? Would appreciate your words of wisdom.Many thanks.

Default Re: I have caron third man-should i also blind buy caron pour un homme?

Quote Originally Posted by wirral guy View Post
    Hi folks.i blind bought caron"s third man fragrance and it is outstanding.Am considering blind buying caron pour un homme as i believe it has a beautiful lavender accord and it was carons debut scent for a man.Is there any difference between third man and pour un homme and would it be a safe blind buy like third man? Would appreciate your words of wisdom.Many thanks.
    I don┤t think that these two are safe by today┤s standards (is there a safe blind buy?). The reviews are mixed, there┤s many people who like PUH but don┤t like Third Man and vice versa. I┤d sample first.
    Last edited by dannyboy; 18th July 2010 at 03:53 PM.

I would say yes, since I have all of their men's scents and PUH happens to be my most favorite scent, one of the oldest fragrances in my life, my comfort scent, and my "desert island" option (don't laugh, yes it contains your daily dose of vitamin C, cures all ailments, and fixes your flat tires, etc.).

But seriously, Pour Un Homme is very different from the Third Man. It's a soliflore. It's a much leaner and cleaner composition compared to the multifaceted and busy TM. You get a pungent straight forward lavender (some find this to be too harsh at the onset) which settles down quickly to open the way for the ambery vanilla base. TM has the lavender accord but also many other floral components as well as the mossy, musky finish. And have you noticed the brief caramel accord appearing just after the opening?

Don't go with the pyramids you see on PuH. Really, for almost everyone, all that stands out is the lavender and the vanilla. I should state that on my skin, after the initial blast, the lavender becomes a dry herbal lavender and the base isn't all about the vanilla for me but mostly about the amber. Also, by amber, and here's the important distinction for me, I don't mean the sweet generic amber that can mean different things to different houses. I mean an "ambergris" base that turns quite animalic in warmer temperatures on my skin.

This is a universally acknowleged masterpiece and is a model of clarity and classic taste in its simplicity. Very wearable today and I hope you'll try it and will enjoy it. Blind buys aren't safe but since TM was a success for you, I'd say PUH is a *safer* (?) blind buy. Do read the reviews and I'd say go for it. It's so inexpensive you can't go wrong. Go for fresh juice (vintage is not necessary and often has rancid top notes). The color should be a pale but bright green.

In closing, you may notice that TM is sometimes compared to Creed's Bois du Portugal. They're of the same genre, each having their own fans but to me TM is obviously a better value given the quality (vintage or not) and the price.

In the same way, PUH is compared to other lavender compositions such as Creed's Royal Scottish Lavender. If you know this one, it may give you a good idea except PUH is much heavier in the base with the amber/vanilla elements. I still prefer PUH on my skin for even better longevity and of course unbeatable value.

The common complaint about PUH is its longevity. Heavy application usually helps and in fact helps the lavender note to last, which is otherwise normally fleeting.

RM
    Last edited by Renaissance_Man; 21st July 2010 at 05:54 AM.

Caron Pour un Homme is the only Caron men's fragrance that I dislike. This particular vanilla/lavender combination is just very unpleasant to me. I'm glad I just got a sample of it. I guess I lucked out because I bought the other three Carons blind and enjoy them all - especially L'Anarchiste and Yatagan.

I have both and enjoy both. I, too, get a lot of lavender followed by vanilla for PUH.

I would not recommend blind buys unless, of course, you enjoy the thrill of the unknown, which some of us do.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Pour un Homme is not like Third man, so there's no worry about duplicating what you've got. In deciding whether or not to blind buy PuH, I think there are two principles involved which you must weigh: first, all the Caron men's scents are fantastic, and thus safe and worthy blind buys according to me; second, PuH is the one of them with the most difficult to love right away factor going against it. Testing PuH in a store over the course of a few months, I disliked it until suddenly, wham, it was magic for me. Now I'm glad I have a few backup bottles. You might find it off-putting at first, might find it medicinal or sweet, just like I did, and you may never come to like it. But knowing a Caron is nothing to regret (ignorance is not bliss) so I say make yourself informed and just blind buy the thing and find out what it does to you. It goes for cheap online I know.

Best luck!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Get a sample first if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I have both and enjoy both. I, too, get a lot of lavender followed by vanilla for PUH.

I would not recommend blind buys unless, of course, you enjoy the thrill of the unknown, which some of us do.
    You mentioned me? (LOL) ... I LOVE the thrill of the unknown so much so that about 80 percent of my recent scent buys are based solely on the reviews here on Basenotes.

That said, yes, sample first, Caron's offerings are widely varied, from my experience. Which is a good thing! The only Caron so far I didn't warm up to was Eau de Reglisse, which simply faded way too fast on my skin.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Sur la Plage

Yes.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Well I have been looking into buying Caron's third man and i dunno what it smells like but it looks like something i'd love! an elegant floral. Anyone know if the reforumalation is worse than the vintage or what not? I'm scared i'm not getting th esame as the reviews.

As for Caron un pour homme, i tried it on my skin several times. This is froma younger view point, but i do believe it is a very beautiful scent. It is very elegant and very nice. However, unfortunately, all my friends agree (we're all around 17-18), that it smells like play doh. So if play doh was never made, i guess, it would be something i would buy. Its not that play doh smell sgood, it's that it has the association with play doh. However, they did notice at one point that it smelled like baked cookies. I was really confused haha but i guess its good? My mother thinks its nice and sweet, as well as some other older women i knew said it was a bit toos weet

I tried Yatagan, l'Anarchiste and Troisieme Homme.
    My advise: don't ever blind buy a Caron. They don't have any similarities.

No, Pour une homme is a well-made, but very dull fragrance. It's nowhere near the imaginative, bold masterpiece that is The Third Man.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by Slushiex3 View Post
    However, unfortunately, all my friends agree (we're all around 17-18), that it smells like play doh. So if play doh was never made, i guess, it would be something i would buy. Its not that play doh smell sgood, it's that it has the association with play doh.
    You're in luck! http://www.basenotes.net/ID26125493.html

I, too, had a strong association with Play-Doh after purchasing my bottle. As a result I regretted my purchase somewhat (or perhaps it was because I paid full price *facepalm*). After a few wearings the association wore off and it became one of my favorites.

To me, PuH is unique among Caron scents for it's ability to be an "everyday" scent. Third Man, Yatagan, and L'Anarchiste are all fantastic, don't get me wrong, but Pour un Homme is the only one I can wear on consecutive days or as a "default" go-to scent if i'm in a hurry and can't put much thought into picking a SOTD. This gives it a utility in my wardrobe the others lack.

I'll join the others in saying you should always sample, but it's a fairly safe buy in that you can resell it easily.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Thumbs up Re: I have caron third man-should i also blind buy caron pour un homme?

If you like lavender, vanilla and amber,all magnificently blended, then buy it and you will be a happy man !!!!
    Last edited by ROBERTO; 20th July 2010 at 04:31 PM.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

And it's cheap!

Because of the low price, it's a safe blind buy. Otherwise, I don't smell any similarity b/w the two frags. I used to own Troisieme Homme but can't stand the stuff now. Pour un Homme is a far superior scent. I consider it to be the perfect lavender scent. I give it a 10/10 rating, it's that good.

I would say yes also.

I would agree that you should. Its a great fragrance and still is unique in today's market.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Thanks very much to all of you for your comments i have ordered caron pour un homme-will let you all know what i think of it.

Wink Re: I have caron third man-should i also blind buy caron pour un homme?

Quote Originally Posted by wirral guy View Post
    They┤re both nice lavender-based fragrances. Anyway Caron pour un Homme is much "dated" by today┤s standards, it┤s somehow similar to Guerlain┤s Jicky and it┤s almost unisex.
    Third Man is much more "macho" and typical fragrance of the 80┤s (which I do like). I┤d strongly recommend you to give Caron PuH a try before blind-buying it. Though you┤ve already bought it so I am curious about your opinion
    Last edited by Morning Star; 23rd July 2010 at 07:55 PM.

Basenotes Institution

My experience was similar to DustB's - I disliked CPUH when I first tried it, and then once I became a serious lavender fan and when I became a bit less sensitive to powdery scents, I sort of fell in love with it.

There are certain times when I wear CPUH and it's very light and almost nonexistent on my skin...sort of like, 'Where the hell is it?'. But then, as is the case most of the time, when the lavender/vanilla combination hits all of the right buttons for me (after strenuous activity; right before bed), I cannot imagine not owning it.

The trick is, I think, learning to dose this one correctly. Too little and it's faint with my nose searching for the lavender in amongst powder and aromatics. Too much and the medicinal scratch-at-the-back-of-the-throat lavender,mixed with the overdose of vanilla, can turn one away from the scent. This one benefits from getting the balance just right.

For me, Caron pour un Homme is a five-star fragrance all the way. Totally classy and timeless, and inexpensive to boot. It was a blind buy for me as well and I am thoroughly happy with it. Third Man, on the other hand (also a blind-buy), I disliked it enough to swap it off. So I would say that, yes, CpuH is a "safe" blind-buy. It isn't as challenging as Third Man, IMHO.

I would say no.

Third Man is an unqualified masterpiece, PuH is a qualified choice.

I bought Pour Un Homme blind too and put it on Ebay a week later.

The lavender is harsh and clumsy, the vanilla it ends up as is weak and cloyingly sweet. Where Third Man is class from start to finish PuH isn't. The only thing I find interesting about PuH is it's evolution from Lavender to Vanilla, because you would never guess from its opening where it's going to end up.

No, don't blind buy it. Sample it first.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Pour Un Homme is not a particularly safe blind buy,
    but it is worth the risk, in my opinion. Of course, obtain a
    sample if you can, but it is inexpensive, as classics go, and this one
    is surely a classic. The powdery opening can be strong, so it may take
    a while to get used to this one, but over the course of the day it is
    a very pleasing scent. An elegant scent.

Pour un Homme, while a stunning classic frag in my opinion, is still the cause of various mixed reviews (and mixed emotions too), so I would advise a slight bit of testing before the purchase. Indeed, it's the kind of frag which the fans of extremely classic frags would buy blind, but since some of the notes may seem heavy, to strong on the lavender and on the vanilla side at first, the drydown can be far more rewarding than an initially unspectacular or even unappealing first impression

I┤d say CPUH is perfect for winter/colder weather...in summer it can be little choking and unpleasant

Thanks for all of your replys.well i have had caron pour un homme for several days now.on me the top note of lavender is sour dry and herbal its not a sweet lavender by any means-it lasts on me several minutes only and quickly progresses to a really fine and lush vanilla and i do get a very faint rosemary aswell.The vanilla is the main player eminating from this fragrance when i wear it and i have to say its a really fine and simple scent that i am proud to own.

Congratulations and enjoy!

I'm glad it worked out. Thanks for posting back!

I too get the short lavender and long vanilla. Others have the reverse. I wish I was one of them so I resort to reapplying later when I want a lavender boost.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Basenotes Institution

Good news wirral guy! Enjoy it in good health.