Code of Conduct

Default Most DISGUSTING cologne ingredients

I just learned about "Ambergris" today. Apparently it is formed in whale intestines and then either vomited or, well, excreted.

Gross.

What other gross stuff are we putting on?

Default Re: Most DISGUSTING cologne ingredients

Hi malwambi and welcome to Basenotes.

Do a search of basenotes forums on ambergris and you'll see that there has been quite a lot of discussion already, you're treading trodden ground here, there's a lot of info in the other discussion threads about it.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Many of the grossest ingredients are being replaced by synthetic versions of same. e.g. Castoreum and civet.

Ambergris has a long history with cologne. BTW, it's a long process to obtain real ambergris. It is not harvested directly from whales. It is excreted and has to float around in the ocean and weather for a longgggg time to turn into the material desired by perfumers. Look it up in Wikipedia.

Well, glands traditionally used in perfume-making, like musk and civet. But nowadays perfume-makers are resorting to their synthetic versions due to availability, cost as well as ethical issues. The point being, some of these (synthetic) aroma-chemicals are not considered safe by some organizations and pressure groups, so there are lots of discussions on this issue.

Whatever Creed used in their pre-1980s fragrances that gives off that urinal cake smell... completely ruins the line for me. Bois du Portugal, Acier, Cypres Musc, etc. ... they're all horrific to my nose.

Castoreum, musk, civet come from anal glands (although at least one is not from a technically anal gland).

Civet, leather, or going overboard with musk, vanilla or patchouly I find disgusting

Edit: How could I forget Oud - Sickly sweet, it's yuk for me

The monkey's paw used to make Creeds has always been controversial.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

You are lucky you don't know (apparently) what's in the food you are eating! LOL.

Another vote for civet

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Civet is disgusting, yes,
    but damn it smells good!
    Take Bal Versailles for
    example ... DAMN!!!

Iso e-super. Headache for me.

I can't seem to find that article called "Let us spray," which talks about imitating body odours, unwiped saddles and peoples armpits. Of course, they do not actually use bodily secretion, but they are certainly inspired by them.

The civet in Mouchoir de Monsieur is shocking at first, and then mingles with the glorious vanilla and lavender.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Hi malwambi and welcome to Basenotes.

Do a search of basenotes forums on ambergris and you'll see that there has been quite a lot of discussion already, you're treading trodden ground here, there's a lot of info in the other discussion threads about it.
    i dont think the op is looking for info strictly on ambergris

I think castoreum, civet and anything that smells like body odor, fecal matter, urine and the like are repulsive and I would never wear anything with these disgusting notes.

Basenotes Institution

Hyraceum from the Cape Hyrax ..this cute thing ...

Hyraceum is petrified poo and pee from the Hyrax and is called Africa Stone- good for giving scent an animalistic muskiness. Isn't it JUST yummy ??? !!! *LOL*

Picture from www.profumo.it
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 19th July 2010 at 12:57 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Give me the gross stuff. I don't find it hard mentally to separate a delicious smell from what it comes from.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Welcome to BN, you'll come to find that many notes and ingredients come from animals. Musks of course which you'll find in the base of a lot of fragrances are that of musk deer or musk rats urine and feces. When you think about it though from the other side.. the person smelling the fragrance and enjoying it.. you'll come to see that these musk notes, as well as ambergris notes are extremely versatile notes, that have been tested for years and years, and are put in fragrances for a reason.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 19th July 2010 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I can't seem to find that article called "Let us spray," which talks about imitating body odours, unwiped saddles and peoples armpits.
    I PMed it to OP already.

Skatole has to be near the top of my list of disgusting ingredients - but I'm not complaining. What puts the jazz in jasmine? Indoles!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Thanks for you very interesting answers! That "hyraceum" turd oil--wow.

OMG. But nowaday they do not use the "real" stuff right?
    Last edited by jasonx; 19th July 2010 at 03:28 AM.

Go veggie!
    No one mentioned oud/aoud/agarwood?

Anything that cheapens the quality of the fragrance. That's a long list with a lot of variables.

Animalics usually increase the quality. Perfumery would be nowhere without them. Fortunately there are better and better synthetics, although much of what is used now isn't adequate. Good animalic ingredients give a fragrance a warmth, smoothness, depth and complexity that is otherwise hard to accomplish.
    Last edited by pluran; 19th July 2010 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Hyraceum from the Cape Hyrax ..this cute thing ...

Hyraceum is petrified poo and pee from the Hyrax and is called Africa Stone- good for giving scent an animalistic muskiness. Isn't it JUST yummy ??? !!! *LOL*

Picture from www.profumo.it
    Thank you, Mimi, for posting this.

The great thing about hyraceum is that it's cruelty-free. This is in Liz Zorn's Tobacco and Tulle.

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    Go veggie!
    No one mentioned oud/aoud/agarwood?
    Happily, many synthetics are used these days that are not harming animals, and agarwood is a wonderful ingredient that adds depth to the scent.
    Last edited by Primrose; 19th July 2010 at 04:22 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.