Code of Conduct

Default The Opium Question

So, I love the original Opium but still find it a wee bit too strong and ladylike to wear out in public. Of all the Opium flankers, which do you think runs closest to the original without the wham bam thank you ma'am factor. Also, what other non-YSL frags do you think run a close second to the original Opium?

Default Re: The Opium Question

Lp9 for ladies (I hate that gender specification) is worth checking out. Not as overtly "ladylike" but still spicy and magical.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Recently picked up a bottle of Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient and was pleasantly surprised, very wearable as a hot summer fragrance. This one is getting very hard to find...

Not sure if you're talking about Opium Pour Homme, but just sampled Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale and am reading it is similar to Opium Pour Homme.

Just wear it anyway .I own both edt and edp of the mens as well as edt and parfum of the womens.The womens one seems dryer and slightly soapy the mens seems more vanillia/spice .

For me, Opium is all about the Amber so a non-Opium non-feminine alternative would be Ambre Sultan.

You said "original Opium" and "ladylike", so I assumed you meant the pour Femme. I don't find the Opium PH to be at all ladylike, so not sure what you are looking for but maybe you should look into the A*MEN series.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Opium PH Eau d'Orient

Women's Opium for men? JHL. Their top notes are different, but the share very similar mid and basenotes.

LE Fleur de Shanghai. It's floral and sweet but a tiny bit softer and less spicy than the regular Opium
    LDDM as well, bit heavier with some incense thrown in
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Seconding Sushi Imperiale from the Bois 1920 range. Opium will immediately spring to mind upon first sniff, but spend time with it and you'll realise it's its own perfume. It lacks the blackberry and wonderful resinous balmy smell that sits at the base of Opium, but the pepper and nutmeg are absolutely radiant. Unlike Opium it's also somewhat gourmand.

This one.

Sur la Plage

If you like the original Opium (pour Femme), than wear it proudly!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 20th July 2010 at 03:08 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Oh yeah, I meant the original "Pour Femme" Opium (1977). I can't stand the Opium for Men from the 90's. JHL is kind of legendary, so I guess I should try that. And Fleur de Shanghai sounds interesting. Does anyone know how to procure samples of these scents before buying a big bottle of it? thanks for the help!