Code of Conduct

Default L'Artisan Al Oudh

For people who have tried L'Artisan Al Oudh please post a quick review.
    Thanks
    Last edited by ra08; 19th July 2010 at 12:39 AM.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: L'Artisan Al Oudh

Where's the Oud?

Last edited by petruccijc; 19th July 2010 at 12:54 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    where's the oud?
    +2

lol!

Where's the Oud?
    In the name...LOL

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by ra08 View Post
    In the name...LOL
    That's the only place. It certainly ain't in the bottle.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

If you are looking for a oud scent this is not it. Poor projection, no longevity. If you looking for Oud I would check out Montale.

Cheers!

Gojira
    Scents I have that are not in the database.

Amouage Molook Attar
    Full Incense - Montale
    Oudh Lacquer by Soivohle
    Shalimar Ode de la Vanille by Guerlain
    Mukhalat Makaki Perfume Oil by Swiss Arabian
    Man Amber by Halston
    Absolue pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Puro Intense by Nejma

I find the projection and longevity of Al Oudh to be excellent. I think it's quite a handsome scent, one that captures the warm and woody aspects of oud while downplaying its fermented/medicinal qualities. In my opinion it's Duchafour's best work. I hope you have a chance to try it for yourself.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Where's the Oud?

At Montale

The first time I smelled Al Oudh I liked it. It does have this medicinal smell, something like, smelling a newly opened box of band aid which is not a bad thing. It actually smells really good and unique. I don't know if others also get it, but I smelled some kind of BO smell. hahahaha. For me, this being an Eau de Parfum, the longevity is quite of an issue, doesn't really last very long. Anyway, I'll give it a try, coz I really liked the initial spray.
    Last edited by volley2; 19th July 2010 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    I find the projection and longevity of Al Oudh to be excellent. I think it's quite a handsome scent, one that captures the warm and woody aspects of oud while downplaying its fermented/medicinal qualities. In my opinion it's Duchafour's best work. I hope you have a chance to try it for yourself.

In total agreement. It's an Oud for folks who don't like Oud (much like Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver is for Vetiver)
    It's not so much straight Oud as it is a melange of Oud with moroccan spices, very warm, very dark, very masculine. Great fall, winter scent.

I really love it. It isn't as spectacular as Black Aoud (which, true or no, is my idea of what oud should smell of). However, it is very warm, masculine, and kinda skanky. Incredibly sexy on a man.

I've been wearing it all summer and it works in the heat as well, surprisingly. It also lasts very long on me, although my skin seems to extend longevity on other, lighter scents.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

I have a small decant. It's a pretty nice warm and sensual scent. Bit of a honeyed fig kind of feel to me. A touch of dirty that's stays right at the edge of nasty with some cumin.

But, I do agree with the tongue in cheek "where's the oud" comments. Some say it should be called Al Cumin.

It's a nice enough scent. Very unisex. But if oud is your thing, don't look for much of it here.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th July 2010 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    At Montale
    Nah, Montale's oud is at Firmenich.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

This thread is hilarious .... I love you guys

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    It's not so much straight Oud as it is a melange of Oud with moroccan spices
    Severely watered down with perfumer's alcohol...

There is an oud accord in here, you just have to get past the prejudice of always thinking that Montale's oud perfumes are the be-all and end-all of what the western world's conception of oud is. I agree that there is a lot of cumin in here and it is a very well done perfume in my opinion. It is a complex fragrance that requires a bit of time and perseverence. I don't understand the general sarkiness of this forum for L'Artisan's perfumes, and Al Oudh in particular. Nor for that matter, the obsession with Montale, and in particular Black Oud. It's a good perfume but not that brilliant, again in my opinion.
    Last edited by beau_mode_arome; 19th July 2010 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beau_mode_arome View Post
    There is an oud accord in here, you just have to get past the prejudice of always thinking that Montale's oud perfumes are the be-all and end-all of what the western world's conception of oud is. I agree that there is a lot of cumin in here and it is a very well done perfume in my opinion. It is a complex fragrance that requires a bit of time and perseverence. I don't understand the general sarkiness of this forum for L'Artisan's perfumes, and Al Oudh in particular. Nor for that matter, the obsession with Montale, and in particular Black Oud. It's a good perfume but not that brilliant, again in my opinion.
    I agree with you about Montale - I simply see their creations as interpretations of the whole oud/mukhallat theme and nothing more (not that that's a bad thing, as there are some great and substantial creations by this house). However, if you've smelt genuine oud oil, you'll understand why many here have not been too kind about L'Artisan's Al Oudh.

In addition, most (if not all) L'Artisan concentrations are significantly watered down (in other words, an EDP wears like an EDT). Some of their creations may be well-composed but I'm not prepared to be ripped-off by perfumes that are, say, 20-25% of their officially stated perfume strength.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    In total agreement. It's an Oud for folks who don't like Oud (much like Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver is for Vetiver)
    It's not so much straight Oud as it is a melange of Oud with moroccan spices, very warm, very dark, very masculine. Great fall, winter scent.
    I would liken L'Artisan Oudh to Prada Infusion de Vetiver. They both lack what their names imply. IMO, Grey Vetiver is a great vetiver fragrance for people who like vetiver.

I smell so much Dzongkha in Al Oudh it's not funny. Probably that signature Duchaufour fixative coming through, but it's uncanny.

Like all his L'Artisan work it's slightly more subdued and sullen in comparison to his work for other brands, particularly EDI and CDG.

I fine it to be a very light oud scent but I do detect it. I kind of like this fragrance.

It's consistent with most of this house's releases. It's interesting, but probably not FBW.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    This is pretty much how I see it, though the medicinal aspects are still there, to my nose anyway. It has similarities to Dzongkha (and it won't surprise me if it's very similar to Havana Vanille, which I have not yet tested). It's got that Duchaufour round, sweet doughiness. Smells like it could be an unusual and exotic dessert at a high end restaurant. It's also very much in the L'Artisan house style - the more recent and current style, that is, not the original style - so Patchouli Patch, Voleur de Roses, Fou, etc. - where the central note is not laid bare or amplified like Lutens often does, but woven into a the fragrance in a way that showcases certain facets of the focal note while downplaying others.

I like Al Oudh and think it's probably my favorite of Duchaufour's works, aside from Timbuktu. I'm just not sure it's the kind of thing that I'd wear all that often; but I'd probably wear it more than other oud perfumes as it's a little more versatile and forgiving. L'Artisans are all over the map for me in terms of longevity. Some last all day with ease, others are gone in an hour or two. I find that Al Oudh lasts well, usually a solid day, even in the heat, and I can get whiffs of it throughout the day, though it's not throwing off sillage like an 80s powerhouse or Black Aoud or anything - it wears closer to the skin than that.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Nah, Montale's oud is at Firmenich.
    Firmenich delivers oils to perfumers, right?

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi View Post
    This is pretty much how I see it, though the medicinal aspects are still there, to my nose anyway. It has similarities to Dzongkha (and it won't surprise me if it's very similar to Havana Vanille, which I have not yet tested). It's got that Duchaufour round, sweet doughiness. Smells like it could be an unusual and exotic dessert at a high end restaurant. It's also very much in the L'Artisan house style - the more recent and current style, that is, not the original style - so Patchouli Patch, Voleur de Roses, Fou, etc. - where the central note is not laid bare or amplified like Lutens often does, but woven into a the fragrance in a way that showcases certain facets of the focal note while downplaying others.

I like Al Oudh and think it's probably my favorite of Duchaufour's works, aside from Timbuktu. I'm just not sure it's the kind of thing that I'd wear all that often; but I'd probably wear it more than other oud perfumes as it's a little more versatile and forgiving. L'Artisans are all over the map for me in terms of longevity. Some last all day with ease, others are gone in an hour or two. I find that Al Oudh lasts well, usually a solid day, even in the heat, and I can get whiffs of it throughout the day, though it's not throwing off sillage like an 80s powerhouse or Black Aoud or anything - it wears closer to the skin than that.

Now I know I'm going to have to try this. It's great reading your reviews again, Robyogi.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    In addition, most (if not all) L'Artisan concentrations are significantly watered down (in other words, an EDP wears like an EDT). Some of their creations may be well-composed but I'm not prepared to be ripped-off by perfumes that are, say, 20-25% of their officially stated perfume strength.
    Duchaufour is capable of strong, intense fragrances as evidenced by his work for Eau d'Italie and the incense works for Amouage and CdG...the 'king of darkness' as I coined the term .

However all of his L'Artisan creations (haven't tried the new jasmine and Al Oudh) have that typical L'artisan watery feel which comes off like a diarrhea in a bottle or a runny nose. I too have always felt that L'Artisan skimped on concentration .. there is a difference between low key and ephemeral (like many good quality citrus colognes/EDCs) and a fragrance which just smells 'watery' and thin.

I will be trying Al Oudh soon and if its as watery as most of their fragrances, it will be quite some achievement by the house to bring such a mighty note to its knees...
    -

Basenotes Plus

It maybe Diet Oud but I like it, better than By Kilian's Pure Oud for sure. It's basically a L'Artisan Parfumeur's take ( read= transparent, ethereal, shortlived) on the Oud note with some token middle eastern influences, to drum up sales among existing customers more accustomed to L'Artisan style of perfumery. For L'Artisan to go into dense orientals would mark a significant departure from the well-established signature house style.

But I'm curious if anyone think it smells like a watered down Amouage...

Basenotes Institution

I love oud and I love Betrand Duchaufour creations and I love L' Artisan as a line. I do. But I thought Al Aoudh was totally forgettable and very disappointing.

I liked it, but it's more cumin on me than oudh. I also didn't like it enough to pop for a full bottle, as I did for the Le Labo Oud.

It's a decent fragrance, but not among Duchaufour's very finest. I have no difficulty detecting the oudh, but the cumin is certainly just as prominent. Anyone who doesn't care for cumin should stay away.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

guess I have to argue with the whole majority on the board))) lol

tested Al Oudh today and hands down the stuff is good. Not enough oud to call it Al Oudh, but there's so much going on -
    cumin, incense, rose, civet. I'd call it a crossroad beetween Jicky PdT (the civet is present and gives that sexual vibe), Yatagan (masculine hairy impression) and Black Oud (dark rose plus oud) - got all fragrances that I mention and they are hard to wear in a real world (too dated, too ballsy, too angry), this new one is a substitude for the whole bunch and made in such a light L'Artisan manner that it's a delight to wear.

I didn't love this it when I tested it last spring. But after testing this for the last few days, the cool autumn weather has made me fall in love with it. I smell the oud, the cumin, the civet, frankincense. It lasts for hours, has good projection and a very intriguing evolution. I like the fact that it isn't sweet and yet has a fullness to it. Something about it reminds me of Etro's Messe de Minuit. I am annoyed that it only comes in 100 ml bottles, as I only buy 50 mls. I need to sell something off and get a bottle of this.

Initially it was love at first smell. I literally got goose bumps when i sprayed it on my wrist and had to fight every urge in me to instantly buy a bottle. I'm so glad I didn't succumb to them, later during the day it evolved into an sweaty man armpit smell. Disgusting. Now I know what you may be thinking, but no, my wrist doesn't usually smell like armpits. Love the opening but it's a pass from me.

i got a sample vial. I have not tried Black Aoud, but Al Oudh has plenty of oud to my nose. It seems to have plenty of power too, although the cumin is doing a lot of the work. I don't get why anyone would call it thin, watery etc. I think this one shows up the individual differences in olfactory response. I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post

But I'm curious if anyone think it smells like a watered down Amouage...
    Definatly , its like a slightly sweeter more transparent Jubilation XXV " lite " imho