Code of Conduct

Smile Name a Fragrance Whose Opening is VERY Different from It's Drydown

I have really fallen for ELDO's Fat Electrician, and love the way it starts with a prominent vetiver opening. And while I suppose there is a bit of a vetiver thread throughout, it really transitions to a nice vanilla.

Are there others out there that have such a drastic difference from beginning to end?

Default Re: Name a Fragrance Whose Opening is VERY Different from It's Drydown

Diptyque's Eau Lente. Starts with red colored dry spices. Ends with white breath-freshening candy coating vanilla.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I find that M7 first smells like some cheap cherry candy-baby-powder-bandaid synthetic abomination. The 2.5 - 3 hour dry down is like a vanillic forest.

Shalimar
    Dzing!
    Dior Homme

I think there's probably a ton of them. I suppose it depends on how you interpret "difference."

The opening notes of most of my scents is pretty distinct to the finished dry down to me.

PdN New York is supposedly one of the biggest "transitional" fragrances.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th July 2010 at 03:20 AM.

Zirh Ikon comes to mind. With its intense cinnamon and clove opening into a very unexpected burnt rubber and tar dry down, I like it quite a bit though.

Fahrenheit as well, opens up with a fresh melon and honeysuckle then fades into that motor oil smell. MMM the best ever.

Back To Black has the ultimate twist when the top/middle notes dry up!

Azzaro pH as well. Has a much different dry down than the opening, but it blended so well together.

To my nose, Givenchy Gentleman has an almost practical-joke level of contrast between its top notes and its drydown. The top notes are these bright, powdery, lemon-drop notes that are so very, very unlike the skanky patchouli drydown.

L'Eau Blue d'Issey pour homme.
    The beginning is disgusting as the drydown is so great!

Add Zino and Grey Flannel to the list too.

CHANEL Egoiste.

Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan and Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Gandini 1896 Teak Wood, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Green Valley, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Bond No.9 I Love NY, Acqua di Parma Intensa Oud, Rasasi Faqat Lil Rijal and Slumberhouse Jeke

Gatsby

Wonderwood opens like ginger, wood resin with a supercharged zing but the drydown is soft paper and wood scent that is very pleasant and much more reserved.

CDG Odeur 53... smells like dust on bulb in opening to cool mist in mids to a lovely clean accord towards base

Mazzolari-Lui

Parfums de Nicolaï - New York. Very noticeable development.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Sur la Plage

Profumum Volo AZ 686
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Add Zino .... to the list too.

I totally agree with the Zino. It starts off super spicy and woody, like a typical 80s powerhouse. Hours later into the drydown, all that spiciness and woodiness is gone, and you're left with a semi sweet rose and patchouli scent.

For me:

Eau Sans Pareil
    A*MEN
    Fahrenheit
    Z-14
    Heritage
    Lp9
    Rive Gauche PH
    Visa
    Kouros
    There are more but those pop into mind.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Kenzo power has the biggest transition I have experienced
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    CHANEL Egoiste.
    +1 to Egoiste. When I first tried it, I was shocked by the sweet fruity notes, but then the dry down is really quite nice.

I would also say that Le Male has a very different opening from the dry down.

Came in here just to post Grey Flannel and Zino... both of which has already been listed.

So... Clinique Chemistry changes wildly to me too.