Code of Conduct

Default Ran out of ideas

What's up guys.

So I recently had the fortune of trying out a BUNCH of Bond No. 9's that I haven't before (Thanks, MrFragranceReview) to find that the majority of them are rubbish. I'm out of ideas what to try now.

Here's some of the scents I liked:
    A*Men (own)
    Bond No. 9 - New Haarlem (own)
    Body Kouros (own)
    Chergui (not for everyday wear)
    L'eau D'issey (owned)
    Dior Homme Sport (like d'issey but more linear)
    Hanae Mori HM (own)
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur (too mature / not for everyday wear)

I really like New Haarlem - it's like a designer scent 2.0 - all the advantages of designer scents and niche scents combined - it's both original, lasting and wearable at the same time. Chergui for instance is amazing but I struggled to wear it every day. A*Men is great for everyday wear but doesn't have the niche "zing" if you will.

Anyway what are some gourmands to try now?

Default Re: Ran out of ideas

I like Tobacco Vanille, but I'd also suggest Borneo 1834.

Dependent

You should give Aomassai and Red Aoud a sniff.

I notice that Rochas Man is on your wish list. Have you tried it yet.? Much better than A*Men IMO.

Hermessence Vetiver Tonka might be worth a shot if there's a Hermes boutique nearby.

As usual, thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried Borneo 1834 and enjoyed it quite a bit but I'm 19 and in college and so I can't realistically wear it. It's great and all but not for me right now.
    I've tried Rochas Man, also. Someone said it smells like a 12-hour shift at a willy wonka candy factory. Sweet and cheap-smelling, I didn't like it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I like Tobacco Vanille, but I'd also suggest Borneo 1834.
    this . acier alumium is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    this . acier alumium is good too.
    Acier Aluminum smelled turbo-soapy to me. Not particularly interesting.

L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme (Cocoa as opposed to chocolate; subtle)
    Borneo 1934 (subtler version of A*Men)
    Tobacco Vanille (sumptuous vanilla and tobacco done very, very nicely)
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine (Anise and vanilla)
    Rochas Man (the scent that likely "inspired" New Haarlem. Some like it better than New Haarlem. Very similar and cheaper).

Another gourmands suggestion- Eau des Baux by L'occitane
    It is a smoky vanilla scent, quite cozy actually, (to me, this one like a younger cousin of Tobacco Vanille)
    and not to mention this comes with a very reasonable price tag too

Blog Entries

L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme EdT and EdP are both awesome gourmands, which will likely seem less Willy Wonka than others. They're reasonable for a young guy, and not too stiff. Not horribly overpriced, just at the high end of designer, and pretty damn potent, so you get good mileage. Great longevity, and you don't smell them on everybody.

Edit: late post just got through network issues - see it's already been mentioned...
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 19th July 2010 at 06:17 AM. Reason: edit added

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme EdT and EdP are both awesome gourmands, which will likely seem less Willy Wonka than others. They're reasonable for a young guy, and not too stiff. Not horribly overpriced, just at the high end of designer, and pretty damn potent, so you get good mileage. Great longevity, and you don't smell them on everybody.

Edit: late post just got through network issues - see it's already been mentioned...
    What about the extreme edition of it? they don't have the regular pour homme at the perfumed court.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladdypwnz View Post
    What about the extreme edition of it? they don't have the regular pour homme at the perfumed court.
    The Extreme and the EdP are actually the same scent - one name is on one side of the box and the other on the reverse. You can spot the bottles by the black edge glass on the EDP/Extreme.

The EDP/Extreme can be really hard to get in the US. It tends to come and go, and when it's gone, it's gone. The EDP is richer and "moister", the EDT is drier and has more sillage. Both are great, but among people who have both, the EDP/Extreme usually wins.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladdypwnz View Post
    The Extreme and the EdP are actually the same scent - one name is on one side of the box and the other on the reverse. You can spot the bottles by the black edge glass on the EDP/Extreme.

The EDP/Extreme can be really hard to get in the US. It tends to come and go, and when it's gone, it's gone. The EDP is richer and "moister", the EDT is drier and has more sillage. Both are great, but among people who have both, the EDP/Extreme usually wins.

Sur la Plage

Dior Homme Intense
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I would recommend trying Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme - it's a distinctive woody oriental with gourmand overtones. It starts out bright, fruity and orangey and dries down into a slightly sweet, vanilla gourmand with Tonka, Patchouli & Sandalwood. I too love Bond No.9 New Haarlem and this fragrance reminds me of it in some ways - probably due to the vanilla and patchouli notes which they have in common. It's very cheap to buy but don't let this put you off - it smells great and much more expensive than the price tag would suggest. Sillage and longevity are also excellent.

Last edited by Derbyman; 19th July 2010 at 10:51 AM.

+1 Arpege, excellent fragrance. Not entirely gourmand though, but still a must try.

Leaning more into the gourmands, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Lolita Lempica, unless I missed it. Picture licorice and vanilla wafers, with excellent projection and good longevity.

You may like Joop!, but it can be very overpowering to some. It's somewhat gourmand, but also very fruity. So it does stand out.

All 3 of these being completely unique and nothing like anything in your collection.

I'll check out the arpege. I've always wondered about that bottle

I really hated LL PH. Can't stand the anise. Dior Homme Intense was like melted lipstick with extra sugar - not my cup of tea either. Thanks for the suggestions once again!

......double post.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I personally didn't care for Arpege. This goes to show that the best thing to do is find several high end stores and department store and sample until your heart's content.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

You seem to like sweet notes teamed with complementary non sweet, so how about

Etro Heliotrope
    Hermes Ambre Narguile
    TM B*Men (different enough from A*Men to easily have both)
    Bulgari Blu Notte / Burberry Brit (or again why not both?)

+1 on L'Instant EDP & Eau des Baux

Sounds like you have a sweet tooth... Try:

Guerlain's L'Instant
    Creed Original Santal

Actually, I've got a 30ml bottle of V Valentino that may be just what you're looking for (if you like A*men) and am looking to part with it... PM sent!
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads