Code of Conduct
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Aromatics Elixir de Clinique

Please help me ...

I'm thinking about getting me a bottle of this notorious scent.
    But there are so many concentrations.
    Can somebody tell me a little about them?
    I cannot find anything online, not even on Cliniques homepage.

The parfume spray, is that really pure parfum?!
    I mean, there is an Eau de Parfum, so it's not
    that!

What is your fave concentration?!

Default Re: Aromatics Elixir de Clinique

I have the parfum, and I think it's the pure parfum.

I also recommend Estee Lauder Azuree, which is a more floral version of Aramis.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

OK, but the bottle is so big, and relatively cheap.
    I mean, 100ml pure parfum is ALOT.
    Other houses sell parfum in 7,5/15ml ... if it's really
    parfum, I think I'm going for that! Cool!

Ducky my bottle was sourced from a thrift shop .It is a frosted glass bottle with a gold cap that I think had the concentration on a label on the bottom of the bottle -unfortunately that is missing.I don't know if my bottle's topnotes are off but I like it anyway!
    It smells a little soapy then soap/rose/patchouli spicey -possibly what would happen if YSL Paris and Opium (f) had an offspring?

Hi there Duc! I've been through a lot of Aromatics Elixir in my life, and except for the Velvet Sheer/Philtre Sensuel which is a gel, I've never seen an indication of concentration on any bottle other than "Perfume Spray." But now I'm curious - have you actually seen bottles marked edt or edp?

You needn't worry at any rate - no matter what you get it will be strong, gorgeous and just plain perfect!

Yes, E ... on eBay you can buy;
    EdT; EdP; and perfume spray..!

You've actually seen the labels, or is that just in the seller's description? I've honestly never seen any other concentration so I've always been under the impression that Aromatics Elixir is perfume, period.

I believe I've seen both EdT and EdP at my local parfumerie, yes.
    The EdP is frosted, and the EdT is clear ... right?!

If so then that's news to me (and I'm still tempted to stick to my original impression until I see otherwise.) Currently, I have a large opaque special edition bottle that's marked "Perfume Spray" on the label underneath (it's never on the bottle) and a smaller frosted bottle that's also marked "Perfume Spray"...so I guess I can't address the concentration of the clear bottles. Sorry I can't help!

Somebody help us ... who is right?!

I just spoke with Sylvia at Clinique customer service; she confirmed that AE is offered in multiple sizes but all of them are EdP strength. I didn't ask if other concentrations used to be offered in the past, however.
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

But are they marked "Perfume Spray"? It wouldn't surprise me if the concentration is technically edp, but I still maintain that they're labeled "Perfume Spray" and that's what I have.

I was given no indication that the labelling has changed recently, and the bottles pictured at clinique.com are the same design I've seen for years. So yes, they are quite possibly still labelled "Perfume Spray."
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

I'll be darned ...

I was so sure I'd seen all three concentrations.
    But, OK, I surrender!

Buy the one marked at perfume spray. The first one I bought back in the early 90s just said that and was a 8ml size, dirt cheap too. Bought bigger bottle again frosted glass and gold top marked perfume spray. A friend then started wearing it as her signature. So I stopped. It was later they brought out the edt version.
    DONNA

In fact it is not important. The sillage and longevity of whatever AE in whatever bottle is infinite and huge like if it was an elixir at least.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    It was later they brought out the edt version.
    Aaah, so there is an Edt Concentration avalible?!

Not according to the info I got yesterday. I couldn't let it rest so I also called Clinique. I specifically asked if it ever came in an edt or any other lighter concentration other than the Velvet Sheer, and the girl who answered had to verify it with someone else, but her answer was no. I asked her again and rephrased it to make sure she knew what I was asking and she said that "the Elixir" has always been a strong edp, although that time I must admit she didn't sound sure of her answer - she should have just put me on with that person who knew! At any rate, if you purchase it from the Clinique site or a Clinique counter, the only concentration currently available is the "Perfume Spray" which is an edp.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 20th July 2010 at 01:57 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I love the original Aromatics Elixir - it's real perfume - the perfume spray is real parfum - so I thought ?? I believe it's been reformulated but it still smells gorgeous. The shower cream is great too.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Not according to the info I got yesterday. I couldn't let it rest so I also called Clinique. I specifically asked if it ever came in an edt or any other lighter concentration other than the Velvet Sheer, and the girl who answered had to verify it with someone else, but her answer was no. I asked her again and rephrased it to make sure she knew what I was asking and she said that "the Elixir" has always been a strong edp, although that time I must admit she didn't sound sure of her answer - she should have just put me on with that person who knew! At any rate, if you purchase it from the Clinique site or a Clinique counter, the only concentration currently available is the "Perfume Spray" which is an edp.
    Well the sa is talking rubbish. And here is the link to prove it does come in edt.

Clinique offical UK site.

http://www.clinique.co.uk/product/15...tte/index.tmpl
    DONNA

Thank you, Donna ... I thought I was becoming dementic or something.
    I just knew, that I had seen two versions at my local parfumerie ...

And here is the U.S. site that doesn't state any formulation at all. It's just "Aromatics Elixir". Which makes me wonder whether it's been toned down a bit for today's market, at least over here. It was a bomb back in the day. I couldn't wear it then, but I might try it again if I ever get myself over to the mall. I smelled it a year or so ago on someone who wore it so well that I couldn't even recognize it.

http://www.clinique.com/product/CATE...xir/index.tmpl

Actually, I just realized that there is an EdT currently in production. It's called Aramis 900...
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Well shut my mouth, there is an edt! It must be a U.S. vs. U.K. distribution thing (and I bet you're feeling rather smug and righteous about now, Duc, hee!) I read recently that some company I can't recall at the moment (Estee Lauder?) formulated their fragrances differently for the American market in the '80s because American women demanded enormous sillage, so maybe that's the same idea at work. Anyway, thanks for the link, donna!

I'm starting to froth up about this revelation now - I must sniff this edt!

(and I bet you're feeling rather smug and righteous about now, Duc, hee!)
    Somewhat ...

Basenotes Institution

I gotta go dig out my Aromatics Elixir after all this talk ............
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Institution

I always thought there was only one formulation of AE, the EdP. Evidence of an EdT is news to me.

Seeing as Aromatics is a Lauder scent, I highly doubt it's been toned down. It is without a doubt the strongest perfume I have ever encountered, and can be TASTED by people ten feet away if it is oversprayed. When I first got it I was unaware of its power and spritzed myself LIBERALLY before class...I think my professor was having an allergic reaction, as he kept leaving the room and returning with red, watery eyes, barely able to speak. I have never seen anything but the "PERFUME SPRAY" (I definitely believe it's pure perfume) in the US. It upsets me that I never, ever smell Aromatics on anyone else, though...who still wears it, besides me? It's uncompromising, intellectual, and confrontational and people either find it offensive or intriguing, not "sexy", but that's part of the fun. Nobody will tell you that you smell good because they're so disturbed by it- somebody even told me I smelled like piss one time when I was wearing it!

Quote Originally Posted by FruitDiet View Post
    ... It upsets me that I never, ever smell Aromatics on anyone else, though...who still wears it, besides me?
    We do, oh, and, Madonna does!

Quote Originally Posted by FruitDiet View Post
    Nobody will tell you that you smell good because they're so disturbed by it- somebody even told me I smelled like piss one time when I was wearing it!
    Aromatics Elixir can be very polarizing, but this is really shocking to me! I've been wearing it for decades (lots of people around here have, like Duc said - you are in a forum for fragrance-lovers after all) and I've never received anything but compliments. I even layer it with the body cream. I admit that it has to dry down a bit - I always give it at least an hour before going out - but I actually consider it one of my crowd pleasers!

As far as I know, there is EdT, pure perfume (or called Parfume Spray) and Velvet Sheer. Nothing else.

The velvet sheer isn't in production anymore, and I think we've confirmed that the "Perfume Spray" is actually an edp, at least that's the information we got from the U.S Clinique site. The edt doesn't show up on American counters, but it clearly does exist.

There are two versions: EdT and EdP. The EdP is confusingly labeled Perfume and is in a frosted bottle. The EdT is in a clear bottle and Eau de Toilette is printed on the front of the box. Here are pictures of the different two.
    EdT
    EdP

Thanks Kevin! I've never laid eyes the edt - do you know if it's ever been available in the U.S.?

I've never laid eyes on the edt either. I don't think it's sold here in the U.S. Did anyone ever try the Velvet Sheer version? I'm curious what that was like. I can't wear AE - I've tried - but I like smelling it from a distance. Someone at a local baseball game (The Richmond Flying Squirrels ) was wearing AE and I recognized it immediately. It filled the evening air all around us. I like the fragrance, but I had no idea where it was emanating from...could have been pretty far away. It's definitely one that needs a light touch on the sprayer. It can be very intrusive into others' body space. I could barely smell my own fragrance that evening.

Thanks Kevin! I've never laid eyes the edt - do you know if it's ever been available in the U.S.?
    Yes, you can get both at http://www.beautyencounter.com/brand...for-women.html
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 22nd July 2010 at 09:49 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I've never laid eyes on the edt either. I don't think it's sold here in the U.S. Did anyone ever try the Velvet Sheer version? I'm curious what that was like. I can't wear AE - I've tried - but I like smelling it from a distance. Someone at a local baseball game (The Richmond Flying Squirrels ) was wearing AE and I recognized it immediately. It filled the evening air all around us. I like the fragrance, but I had no idea where it was emanating from...could have been pretty far away. It's definitely one that needs a light touch on the sprayer. It can be very intrusive into others' body space. I could barely smell my own fragrance that evening.
    I have a sample of the Velvet Sheer, maybe I'll try it soon and post my impressions on this thread when I do.

I can't wear AE either lilybelle, but I sure do enjoy smelling it on others. Same for Aramis 900.

Thanks again, Kevin - that's excellent!

lilybelle - the Velvet Sheer is very nice, and it's all over eBay for under $40. My mother has worn the body cream for a long time but can't tolerate the strong patchouli in the perfume spray, so she was over the moon when the Velvet Sheer came out because it's just like the cream - more green rose and much less patchouli. I actually like wearing the cream or the Velvet Sheer with the perfume spray to get the best of both (very potent, so I only use a bit of each!) My only complaint about it is the application as it's a bit awkward to dab, but it is the perfect consistency for a rollerball. Since the Velvet Sheer has been discontinued anyway, I'm hoping that the edt is like the VS, but with the convenience of a spray.

I'm so glad you brought this up Duc - it really is a revelation!

Thanks for posting the link, Kevin, who'd a thunk it?

Mike, I'd love to know what you think of Velvet Sheer.

Evangeline, much less patchouli and more green rose sounds interesting. This thread really has been a revelation.

The "perfume spray" is the original, yes. Check it out, but sweet Lord, go easy on the trigger. Sillage like nothing else on the planet, and incredibly potent when first applied and smelled up close. After some drying time and from a distance, it's gorgeous, warm, rich, elegant, and (yes) sensual. It's an absolute must if you're a fan of patchouli, rose, or chypres in general. It's even worth buying blind (one of the 10 ml minis) so you can give it a proper wearing and testing, rather than a hurried sniff in a store. I made the mistake of spraying this on paper at Sephora and was revolted. This must be worn and allowed to develop on the skin in order to get a sense of its true character.
    Last edited by subhuman85; 23rd August 2010 at 01:11 AM.

I just tried the Clinique Velvet sheer oil? At least that's what it says on my label here. Gel or oil, Idk..but I NEED a FB of this. Bad. It's just lovely. And yes, it's very much about the rose, less about the patch-which I love. I like this more than AE because of that aspect. Really nice!
    Last edited by kalli; 5th July 2012 at 10:25 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.