Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: A Question for Gay, Straight and Bisexual Men

Quote Originally Posted by odioustoilet View Post
    I know my post will cause a lot of eye rolling or furrowing of the brows but I really like my old vintage bottle of Avon's Leather aftershave.
    It adds, to me, some macho-ness to other scents like Varvatos Vintage.
    **eyebrows furrowed**

I suppose you could use it for layering, and an aftershave should work for that ...

But if I recall, correctly, Avon's Leather really is more "butch" than a lot of modern fragrances for men - so it's almost a waste to cover it up.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I feel the gayest in Chanel Antaeus (because "gayest" and "Antaeus" rhyme, and everybody knows that poetry is très gay), and the butchest in Guerlain Plus que Jamais (because when I smell it, it makes me think only of hot babes)

... but that's just me...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Is there any other kind?

Women seem to love the smell of Drakkar Noir on a man. It's one of my favorite scents, so I can understand why they do. So when I wear Drakkar, I feel like a stud.
    Last edited by shamu1; 31st March 2011 at 03:59 AM.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I see alot of musc ravenguers and tom ford tabacoo vanile. Question? Gay/ bi men have the same taste persay as women so should it make sense for all men to consider this thread? There's another thread asking for the top 4 must have niche and designer and alot of the choices ISN'T in this thread. Interesting.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by SymbianBlack View Post
    I see alot of musc ravenguers and tom ford tabacoo vanile. Question? Gay/ bi men have the same taste persay as women so should it make sense for all men to consider this thread? There's another thread asking for the top 4 must have niche and designer and alot of the choices ISN'T in this thread. Interesting.
    Yes. I think all men should take note of what gay/bi men have to say about fragrance. They should also listen to them when they say not to wear pleated pants or over-sized golf shirts - you know, the ones wear the "short sleeves" go down past their elbows.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 31st March 2011 at 12:36 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

fountain

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    I think all scents are strictly scents. What makes any scent sexy is how the person carries it. end of story
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    I think all scents are strictly scents. What makes any scent sexy is how the person carries it. end of story

+1 Its how the person presents themselves to the world. The frag is just a small part of it. As stated End of story
    Remember when life gives you lemons make lemonade, also find someone whose life gave them vodka. Have a party!

For me its either Musc Ravageur or Chergui

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Yes. I think all men should take note of what gay/bi men have to say about fragrance. They should also listen to them when they say not to wear pleated pants or over-sized golf shirts - you know, the ones wear the "short sleeves" go down past their elbows.
    For that matter, no man should wear trouser cuffs if he is under 5'10" tall.

At the end of the day, what does it matter what fragrance a man wears--regardless of on which "side of the street" he walks?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    2) Straight men: In your opinion, which fragrances make you smell the sexiest?
    Midnight in Paris EDP

I'm str8.... Back to Black By Kilian.... but not for a 1st date, I'd go with Aventus or Black Jeans for that.

I definitely agree that a fragrance is not per se sexy or not -- it can only become so in interaction with the wearer's personality and manner.
    On my partner (gay male here) I especially like L'Ombre das l'Eau, because he is a country boy from the mountains who loves nature, plants, and hiking, so it really reflects his personality. Plus it is just a great fragrance, with all the natural sensuality of early Summer. I also like Meharees on him, just because it is the opposite of what one would imagine being suitable for his personality, so it creates a bit of a surprise twist.
    A former boyfriend really pulled off Eau du Sud very sexily in warm weather -- the salty herbal citrus really shimmers in the heat and brings to my mind the word "sultry".

I'm straight but could be tempted if a man wore Kouros.

I find Lyric Man a very sexy fragrance for everyone.

I am straight. I must admit, I very rarely smell interesting scents on other men - were only it more common. I caught a police officer wearing Caron Pour Un Homme recently, and thought it daring - it actually worked, as strange a choice as it might sound. Sort of calming, which I thought would be a useful quality to be able to emanate for one in his line of work.

I dislike loud, barbershop-type fragrances on other men - it strikes me as garish. If it is subtle, good. If it is interesting and subtle, even better.

Edit: Forgot to add - it might sound an unusual admission, for I know they are held in low esteem, but I find the aquatics favoured by young men occasionally interesting. Largely because of the sheer panache of their sillage, which I find objectionable in more cologne-y compositions.

For example, the other night, when leaving an academic library, there was a young man sitting on a bench outside it. When I was a good fifteen feet away, I smelled this aquatic sillage-monster that (this was genuinely my perception) extended these _tentacles_ an obscene distance through the warm night air. It was more like a creature, possibly an alien kraken, than a fragrance. Impossible for me to wear such things - not at all my stylistic inclination - but it can cut a certain dash on the young.
    Last edited by Merely; 31st March 2011 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    For that matter, no man should wear trouser cuffs if he is under 5'10" tall.
    Trouser cuffs?

Is that American for Turn-ups?

Completely! Shall we mention hairstyle and -for crying out loud- why do straight men wear vile fragrances like Joop! and then they tweak their nose to Shalimar?!
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

I'm gay. I'm going wild when someone wears Antaeus or Egoiste.
    And I feel sexy wearing Coromandel. Getting loads of compliments from women btw when wearing Coromandel.
    So it might be a nice tip for straight guys. Not sure if (gay) guys like it in general, but my boyfriend really does.
    Don't have to explain that I'm a Chanel junkie I guess... hehe

A gorgeous sexy man who's wearing M7, Chergui, L'Air du Desert Marocain, Lonestar Memories, or Tobacco Vanille ... will definitely grab my *ahem* full attention ! ~ (Ah, ... & Dior Homme Intense or Black Orchid on a certain right guy could get me all hot under the collar too !)

On me personally I like Coromandel, PG18, Tuscan Leather, Ambre 114, Vetiver Extraordinaire , and also M7 ...

Plus I wished my own skin smelled naturally of LesNez's L'Antimatiere ... which is just THE most divine skinscent amber/musk EVER !!

Altho' ... ask me again next month and I bet they'll be different. Changes with the winds.
    Last edited by Sybarite; 6th September 2012 at 05:22 PM.

Hi all, straight guy here...

My answer to the question directed at straight guys: I feel sexiest in Drakkar Noir. That's the short answer. To add another dimension to the answer I feel sexy and somehow "happier" in Boss Bottled.

Straight as the day is long....
    Chanel's Platinum Egoiste & Bleu de Chanel also Rochas Man works for the woman in my world.

Did anybody change the team since 2010 and how did it affect your choice in fragrance?

Do gay men not think they smell sexy? People really have no idea do they :')

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SymbianBlack View Post
    Gay/ bi men have the same taste persay as women
    :'D LOL!! dear God why did I click on this shit I knew what was coming haha.

my wife almost ate me wearing Armani code and on the other day wearing in the mood for love by Gianfranco Ferre. she enjoys both..... i feel like cool and "sexy" having Dior homme on me (if I can say )
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

Nothing makes me feel sexier than Caron Pour un Homme.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Blog Entries

I am straight, but can appreciate a fragrance on another man just like I can say Chris Daughtry is handsome. And like that, I think it depends on the person. I smelled Unforgivable on an older African American friend of mine, and enjoyed it so much I bought it... It sucks on me, so I gave it away. I have found Eternity for Men original to smell really nice on others, On me, I would say an Oud like Cuir d'Aribie, BUT, that is raw and untamed. I think If I were gay, I would need to feel something for the guy first before I was affected by the scent. It is like clothes. Some men can get away with black t shirt, black sport jacket, and others just look foolish. Yep, I think an honest man can appreciate scents on other men too.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thought. A scent isn't sexy, but an association with it is. Some sub-cultures in the USA use a strong smelling stuff called "PINE SOL" to clean with, and their houses perpetually smells of it. To my sub-culture, we think it smells like someone trying to cover up dirt/bugs. SO... it isn't the scent, but what you associate with it.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    If anyone finds me 'sexy' I can assure you it has nothing to do with the fragrance I'm wearing. But personally I think more men should wear orientals and chypres... enough with the 'sport whatchamacallits'!

I'm a Gayer. I don't get all the Antaeus and Egoiste buzz, I think that's a generational thing. Don't get me wrong I think they're both great frags but neither of them screams sexy to me. I like musks and sandalwood based fragrances on men, or properly woody Patchoulis so Borneo 1834, Clair de Musc, Musk Pure, Urban Suede, Santal Massoia all good, very good indeed. I also have a thing about citrus colognes on men, mostly proper classics like the Guerlain colognes. Also Derby.... yummy.

It may sound dated my reply ....Obsession is a real button pusher for me.

- - - Updated - - -

You are so funny at times...

Don't Get Me Wrong Baby I Don't Swallow

When I think of a sexy man he invariably smells of a nice bay rum, say, Dominica?
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Junkie

Straight man - Dior Homme Intense

Dependent

Musc Ravaguer for everything!!!

I like most of the frags I wear regardles, so I do feel sexy when I wear them in a way whatever it is I put on.

I am bi.....
    I like a lil spice, wood and deep florals. I wore Amouage Lyric and MKK yesterday..... I love De Bachmackov.
    I like my guys to smell sweet... But not girl kinda sweet.
    My 2yr old alway want me to wear Xerjoff Mephisto WEIRD
    Im the be$t @ thi$

I don't give a damn what a sexy guy smells like, as long as he's sexy! (ok, given it's not a downright repulsive fragrance he's wearing).
    But if I had to choose, I'd get even more turned on if he were wearing a fougère...
    Fougères are sexy!
    I, myself, feel sexy when wearing a fougère (did I mention that fougères are sexy?) or an intense gourmand/oriental.
    EDIT: oud also turns me on, big time!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Basenotes Junkie

2) Straight men: In your opinion, which fragrances make you smell the sexiest?

30 year old man here - and I guess it's a tossup between several. Aventus, GIT and Royal Oud stands out, together with Tuscan Leather especially. Those are my prime suspects, with plenty other to go, but I'll just leave it at that for now. Interesting question by the way.

Sexual Orientation when it comes to cologne/perfume.I think the Creed:Aventus,Boss Collection,Bvlgari Collection are still the best.

As far as I know, only the Pheromone scents offer different scents for different sexual orientations. Still, there isn't any proof that cologne/perfume pheromone mixes actually work on humans.

I am straight but I guess if I wasn't, I'd like the same scents that I love/like wearing myself.

Basenotes Plus

Straight here. I feel on top of the world when wearing either Coromandel or Tuscan Leather. I don't know about sexy but my confidence shoots through the roof when wearing one of those so if confidence equals sexy then yes, a fragrance definitely can help project a certain aura.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Straight: Guerlain Habit Rouge.

PS I can't distinguish between the three categories unless you tell me. Assumption is bad for my soul
    Last edited by silverbullet; 9th September 2012 at 04:25 PM.

Haha, stevolution...I love the "biddy-boppy" reference. I am a straight female and never could put the right word to the endless stream of citrus infused florals walking around. I give you all credit for now I will have to use biddy boppy. The royalty check will be in the mail, lol. ;-) I do actually think royal water is sexy...in a light clean kinda way. I know almost nothing of men's fragrance but I do know that when I pass a man that smells amazing, it DOES tend to weaken the knees a little. So, that said, men, if YOU like it and YOU feel sexy in it...chances are high others will do the same.