Code of Conduct

Default Byredo Baudelaire - thoughts?

Anyone familiar with this one? Like it?

There is only one review on this one - and it's well, um, disturbing.

So if you've got it, let me know. I caught a quick sniff at Barney's, and remember it enough to consider giving this some consideration.

Thanks.

Default Re: Byredo Baudelaire - thoughts?

I smelled it for a day ona co-worker of mine. Both me and her were choking on it. In one sentence: Annoying like a high pitched one tone note, constantly shrilling.

It is pleasing upon first sniff, but after that it just goes on and on and on and on, in the same monotone voice. And not low key enough.

Ouch!! any others?

Blog Entries

It reminded me of the smell of the garden department at Home Depot - that mix of fertilizer, "Miracle Gro", and mulch. It was simultaneously very green and "living" but with a huge overtone of weed killer chemicals.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Hmmmmmm..... I tried it for a bit the other day at Barney's. Of the Byredos I tried, it seemed the one I liked the best. Couldn't describe it for you here, though. The other Byredos I tried were Palermo and Fantastic Man.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

I had a bottle and I do really like it. It smells pretty much like the notes listed in the pyramid which are:

Top: Juniper berry, Black pepper, Caraway.
    Mid: Incense, Hyacinth, Leather.
    Base: Papyrus, Patchouli, Black amber.

The essence of Byredo is green foresty incense woods with a leather heart. As the fragrance evolves the sweetness of its basenote becomes more pronounced. I enjoyed everything about the fragrance except for the strength of the amber note in the base. They call it Black Amber, which is a frankincense + vanilla "amber" concept - black amber. My only objection to the fragrance was the amber sweetness in the base grows and grows as the day wears on and I am not a huge fan of amber scents. Ultimately it was a bit too sweet for me but I think it is great, complex masculine fragrance that works much better in winter months than summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I had a bottle and I do really like it. It smells pretty much like the notes listed in the pyramid which are:

Top: Juniper berry, Black pepper, Caraway.
    Mid: Incense, Hyacinth, Leather.
    Base: Papyrus, Patchouli, Black amber.

The essence of Byredo is green foresty incense woods with a leather heart. As the fragrance evolves the sweetness of its basenote becomes more pronounced. I enjoyed everything about the fragrance except for the strength of the amber note in the base. They call it Black Amber, which is a frankincense + vanilla "amber" concept - black amber. My only objection to the fragrance was the amber sweetness in the base grows and grows as the day wears on and I am not a huge fan of amber scents. Ultimately it was a bit too sweet for me but I think it is great, complex masculine fragrance that works much better in winter months than summer.
    Thanks BP for the pyramid. It does sound nice- but as you say, something maybe for cooler weather - which in these parts is not too far off.

Furriner - what were your thoughts on Palermo and Fantastic Man - and the line in general?

I thought Palermo was a very nice citrus. I don't remember Fantastic Man so much. The only other one I have tried -- and the only one of which I have a sample -- is Chembur, which I didn't like so much. I wish I had samples so I could judge them better.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    It reminded me of the smell of the garden department at Home Depot - that mix of fertilizer, "Miracle Gro", and mulch. It was simultaneously very green and "living" but with a huge overtone of weed killer chemicals.
    Believe it or not, this sounds great to me! Bitter, green, living, but poisonous

They call it Black Amber, which is a frankincense + vanilla "amber" concept - black amber. My only objection to the fragrance was the amber sweetness in the base grows and grows as the day wears on and I am not a huge fan of amber scents. Ultimately it was a bit too sweet for me
    This, not so much...

I have a sample at home, so I'll have to reexamine tonight. But the first impression was the same as shift. Rather shrill and chemical, nowhere near as unpleasant as modern masculines, but still not particularly exciting.

cacio

Not a fan of this line based on the few I've tried.

I thought this would appeal to me due to the name and the leather note, but I agree with the "shrill and chemical" quality notes by Cacio.

Glad I tested first. I did not buy a bottle of this.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I've read many reviews of the different fragrances from this house. So, I tried a decant of "pulp" I enjoy a nice orange or tangerine etc.
    But this sillage monster (IMHO) is very poor. It is like you rolled yourself in orange marmalade with a bit of bug spray(just a tad)
    Dont waste your time with it.
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

I love the accord oud, sniffed a few of these last week at Barneys
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

As promised, I wore a spritz of Baudelaire tonight. On skin over time, it's not as shrill as I remembered. But still, there's some not so pleasant hairspray note (woody-ambers?), not enough true green bitters, and a touch too much sweetness for my taste. Not bad, a plain, sedate aromatic fougere, but not interesting.

Still, I was sitting in the theatre next to a guy wearing an ozonic eau de hairspray concentree, and I only wish he'd been wearing Baudelaire.

cacio
    Last edited by cacio; 1st October 2011 at 05:12 AM.

I recall some BNers having a meet-up and one of them said it was headache-inducing.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I don't get the "chemical" references at all and do not find it particularly "synthetic" smelling. I also wouldn't judge it by other Byredo fragrances as it's quite different.
    Buzzlepuff seems to capture the fragrance reasonably well but I prefer it in summer when it's sillage and development works best.
    Apply it away from the face and around a foot from the skin when sprayed and it's fantastic. It's not one to study intensely, it's one to wear all day and check back with every few hours.
    It's a very different fragrance but wears quite similarly to SL's Borneo in warm weather.
    I'm always surprised it doesn't get more love.