Code of Conduct

Default Inspiration, recommendation of new fragrances

Hi guys,

I am still in the test stage of my fragrances progression, i am tired of slamming my head into the wall since its hard to find anything i really like, so i kinda need your help.

I thought it would be easier to help if you list some of fragrances that pleases me, and some that dont.

I like:

Gucci by Gucci pour homme (i know its not the most unique or bold fragrance, but i like that it is settle and low-key)
    Burberry London
    Ysl - L'homme. A nice all around fragrance, i think i like the sweetness (but nothing sweeter, this is close to the edge)
    Armani - Code. This is a so-so fragrance, can only be used at evening wear. Quite strong in my oppinion.

I dislike:

Thierry Mugler A*men - This is just, too much bakery, sweetness.
    JPG - Le Male.
    Chanel Allure + Chanel Allure sport
    Versace - La Fraiche + Chanel Pour Homme I dont think too aquatic is me.
    Hugo By Hugo + Ysl Live Jazz. I dont think mint is me.
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste - too strong for my liking
    Chanel Egoiste
    Issey Miyake La bleu - Too feminine honestly

To sum up, i think i prefer something that doesnt scream, kinda settle, isnt 100 procent mainstream (for me Gucci by Gucci is mainstream, but not 100 procent), and actually i think i prefer kinda safe choices.

Can you help me out?

I am not looking for something to fit a specific event or season. Just looking for something that fits my wardrobe, anything really.
    Last edited by Abliss; 23rd July 2010 at 10:02 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Inspiration, recommendation of new fragrances

Perhaps...

Dirty English
    D&G the one For Men
    Burberry The Beat For Men
    Gucci by Gucci EDP (the women's)
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme

The One by Dolce & Gabbana
    Vertiver by Guerlain
    Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna
    Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior
    Kenjo Jungle by Kenzo

gucci pour homme II
    dior homme cologne

Thanks for the suggestions,

YSL LNDL is already on my "i got to try these" list.
    I must admit, my list is based on different reviews i have read and watched at fx. youtube, so i have NO idea if they fit the exact bill, but they include:

YSL - M7 + M7 Fresh + Body Kouros + La Nuit De L'homme
    John Varvatos - John Varvatos
    Some from Acqui Di Parma
    Polo Green
    Versace - The Dreamer
    Rochas Man
    Gucci Envy
    Boss Bottled
    Guerlain L'instant + extreme.

If some of you know these, and think they would fit me. Please speak up

Quote Originally Posted by pourhomme View Post
    gucci pour homme II
    dior homme cologne
    Thanks for recommendations.

I have already tried both, Dior Homme i found weird and kind of a makeup bag + pencils, to be honest, i think it just isnt for me.
    Gucci PH2 is semi decent, but a bit to feminine/parfumy for me.

Sur la Plage

Terre d'Hermes
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

"Make-up bag and pencils" is good, Knisse. If you're new to fragrance, the first time you try something a new note like that (Dior Homme is an iris frag) the nose will rebel. Try things a couple more times even after an initial bad experience as opportunities present and you may find that your tastes are getting broader. In particular things that seems generically 'perfumey' or feminine may come into sharper focus with time. That said, nothing wrong with going with wearing what's comfortable. Most days that's just what I do.

you mentioned envy. i liked that as soon as i smelled it. i actually didn't buy gucci pour homme 1 until much later when someone gave me a card of it. i wasn't very fond of the opening. i had london too. didn't like l'homme and code very much. i liked acqua di parma colonia assoluta instantly too. i haven't tried dior homme. only cologne version. it is a little man pretty but interesting to play around with gender and what is acceptable. bulgari black? try feminines from chanel/ guerlain? try vintage? 80's powerhouses? there's a lot to explore really. good luck!

I have a feeling you will like Bvlgari pour Homme.

Black Soul

@ Petruccijc, it already on the way from The Court (as a sample). I will definitely return with my oppinion of it.

@ Strollyourlobster, i completely understand you. I must just admit that i am at a stage in my life where i would like to settle a bit down, maybe then i have collected my basic fragrances wardrobe i will experiment a little, thanks for your intention thou. (goddamn sheer genious nickname by the way)

@ Pourhomme, i hope i didnt offend you, that was just what i got from Dior Homme. Ill admit, i dont think i have as trained a nose as most of you here. The problem is, there is too much to explore, i am but one man. Regarding those Acqua di Parma, do you think any of them would fit me? Or should i steer away from that brand?

@Xen, http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120270.html i reckon this is one your suggestion? Could you give me a quick review of it? - i assume you have smelled it. (it seems to have gotten great along with many basenoters, not a bad sign)

@Hednic, black soul, is it Ted lapidus black soul? Honestly, i have never heard of it, had to google it to find out who has produced it. Mind share what it smells like?

Regards, and thanks all of you

There is no lack of reviews for Bvlgari pour Homme so I'm afraid I can't write anything original on it. Yes I do own both Bvgari pour homme and Bvlgari pour Homme Extreme, and familiar with Bvlgari pour Homme Soir. I personally prefer the original Bvlgari pour Homme. It's a beautifully crafted fragrance with a smooth citrus top and composed around a Darjeeling tea note with a freshness brought on by a hint of fruity notes and given a masculine edge with a spicy touch of pepper. All these are weighed all the while by a mildly smokey cedar base and tender musk. 'Safe' is a description that doesn't do justice to this. It's balanced, understated, elegant and polite but does not suffer a lack of originality in being so. It is complex so you won't get bored by it quickly, fresh so you will never find it stuffy or cloying, and versatile enough to be used for most occasions, formal to casual, warm to cold weather. There is just nothing like it. But of course it's not a be all end all. You'll still need other fragrances in your wardrobe because wearing it everyday will make you imperceptive to its subtle facets and make it seem like a boring scent. In fact it lasts so well, the alluring sweet scent of its base still lingers after 2 showers which you can only pick up if you leave 3 days between each wearing or olfactory fatigue will blind you to them.

Tommy Bahama
    Escada Magnetism
    L'Eau D'Issey (Issey Miyake)

More off mainstream...

Green Irish Tweed (Creed)

Thanks for all the recommendations,

I am afraid that Issey is too parfumy for me? I have tried the bleu version, and it was. Is it the same deal with this one?

GIT, i simply cannot justify paying that amount for a fragrance, thanks else. The last two i dont know, i will have to check up.

lalique encre noire. it's pretty safe, interesting, not that mainstream, and actually quite affordable

also
    azzaro visit: good woody
    hermes orange verte concentree: top citrus

you will not like rochas man at all. it's too ambersome.
    versace dreamer and l'instant are good, hope you like them but I'm doubtful.
    bulgari ph is a pretty safe option, and there is always a use for it.

Explore the YSL line.

I think you will like Terre d'Hermes

I have just received Terre d'hermes.... Well.... My first opinion is usually the one that last, it smells like an old dusty road + oranges. This is not for me, i don't fint it pleasant... In all fairness, i have not tried it a full day, which i will obviously do, and then return if i change my mind.

@ saripatates, thanks for all the heads up. I have The Dreamer coming today or tomorrow as a sample, ill let you know. To be honest, iam surprised you recommend Encre Noir as a safe choice, all i have read and videos i have listen too say that its kinda hate/love fragrances.
    The Hermes D'verte, i have aready tried, i actally liked it alot, it was close to being too unisex for me, and i find that i didnt last long enough, perhaps 2-4hours and it was totally gone.
    I am getting the felling, that i have to try Bvlgari PH

@ Boosh, could i get you to elaborate? - i have l'homme, which i like very much, Live Jazz was too minty for me. I have Rive Gauche and La Nuit de l'homme also coming today/tomorrow as a sample. Ill also let you know what i found of them.
    Last edited by Abliss; 23rd July 2010 at 10:13 AM.

I have now been testing out Terre D'hermes, and really, i dont like it at all. Its too Old dusty road, orange and actually bug spray for me. I can see why someone might like it, but i can also easily see how some will be offended by it.

My "safe" recommendations would be Guerlain's Vetiver (as has already been mentioned), Hermes Terre d'Hermes, Caron Pour un Homme, or Creed's Green Irish Tweed. All very safe, not too femme, and pretty much always appropriate. If you don't get full bottles of them, I feel these are definitely fragrances every man (that's interested in fragrances) should at least try.

If you like L'Homme you will probably like L'eau Par Kenzo Eau Indigo Pour Homme which I slightly prefer.
    ôLove is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.ö
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    My "safe" recommendations would be Guerlain's Vetiver (as has already been mentioned), Hermes Terre d'Hermes, Caron Pour un Homme, or Creed's Green Irish Tweed. All very safe, not too femme, and pretty much always appropriate. If you don't get full bottles of them, I feel these are definitely fragrances every man (that's interested in fragrances) should at least try.
    I appriciate every recommendations, but Terre D'hermes was not really for me. Regarding creed, i simply cannot justify paying that much for a fragrance, especially since they known for poor longivity. Caron Pour Un Homme, never heard of it, could you give me a review?

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    If you like L'Homme you will probably like L'eau Par Kenzo Eau Indigo Pour Homme which I slightly prefer.
    This is kinda spot on i think, Kenzo Indigo, i have tested (only once), and i appeared to like it. Since you where accurate here, care to make other recommendations?

Okay... A update

Tried.

A*Men Pure malt... It is better than A*men, but still too much.
    Ysl La Nuit de l'homme... Very very good, i am considering either this or Armani Code. Not sure still.
    Dior - Eau Savage, This is not bad, but too feminine for me, def a unisex fragrance.
    ysl - Rive gauche.. Too much barbershop, i dont hate it, but i cannot picture myself wearing this. So i am not gonna buy.
    Versace - the dreamer... Noooo, just no.
    d&g - the one... Not bad either, but i am worried, that the longivity is too bad.

Based of that, still the same recommendations?