Code of Conduct

Default What typically female scent would you not like on a man & vice versa?

I'm not talking about a "unisex" type scent, I mean VERY feminine scent, do you think would be ridiculous for a man to wear & would probably smell strange on him.

Which men's scent do you think would smell WAY too masculine, no matter how much you'd like it, on you, that you end up smelling like your SO?

NOTE: I know alot of people say they have no gender boundaries with scents (probably why most of you will hesitate to answer), but sometimes it's just too obvious, even with being open-minded.*
    Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 21st March 2007 at 10:41 PM.

Default Re: What typically female scent would you not like on a man & vice versa?

I don't have gender boundaries up to a point. I'd get a little suspicious if my husband started wearing Chanel 5. He would not care to smell me in Gucci PH, I'm sure.

Default Re: What typically female scent would you not like on a man & vice versa?

As someone who wears Yatagan from time to time, I'm not sure I have a good answer to that. But maybe Pink Sugar would be difficult on most guys...or something with a distinctly feminine name: Femme, for example.

The fragrance itself could be ok but the name might be hard for them to spit out and it might cause a few people to giggle. And most women would probably leave a fragrance like "monsieur givenchy" alone for the same reason.

In reality, anything goes, IMO.

Smile Re: What typically female scent would you not like on a man & vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae View Post
    I don't have gender boundaries up to a point. I'd get a little suspicious if my husband started wearing Chanel 5. He would not care to smell me in Gucci PH, I'm sure.
    That's funny because, Chanel #5 is to me, the epitome of femininity, and if I smelled that on a man, I wouldn't like it. I smelled Gucci Ph, and I liked it, and I'm not one to wear a men's fragrance, but that one was hot. (I like woody & incensey scents, that don't smell like a church)

Post Thanks / Like

A fun question...
    I have never smelled female scent on a guy... but just out of my imagination, the following list would seem very wrong on a guy:
    Houbigant QQ
    Joy
    JPG's Classique
    Gucci Rush

Once again, I think it is a state of mind. I am not a wuz (an Aussie slang). If it is made for human then I shall wear it.

Men carries perfumes very different from women. I am not an exeprt of this subject, but I have tried some of my frags on my DH, and the one who really turned out bad on his skin was Miss Dior Chérie. It became cloyingly sweet, and with a sharp note of some fruit. On my skin it becomes really nice, an obvious chypre, a little bit acid and really elegant.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly Dagger View Post
    That's funny because, Chanel #5 is to me, the epitome of femininity, and if I smelled that on a man, I wouldn't like it. I smelled Gucci Ph, and I liked it, and I'm not one to wear a men's fragrance, but that one was hot. (I like woody & incensey scents, that don't smell like a church)
    Hey Dolly, My favorites are woody scents and I sometimes get into his when I am alone, but when he is with me, I try to please him because there are so many feminine woodies we both love, but when he is not around, well.

Post Thanks / Like

I *really* would not enjoy YSL Paris on a guy. Really really.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I cannot imagine a man (including me) wearing Tabu
    I cannot imagine a woman wearing Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Post Thanks / Like

Hubby used to wear Polo, original, and I can't imagine this smelling great on a woman but you never know!
    Waaaay back I wore Giorgio Beverly Hills which I don't think I'd like on a man but never having smelled it on one I can't be sure can I? I had to go back to the late seventies, early eighties for my choices because most modern scents to my nose are quite mutable and unisex.

Post Thanks / Like

I cant imagine a guy wearing Elizabeth Arden's Red Door. I cant even begin to imagine that.
    --------------------------------------
    Opps, i forgot to respond to the second part of your question. I cant imagine a woman wearing something horrid like Brut. I dont even want to imagine that.
    Last edited by rosbergs3; 23rd March 2007 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Awesomeguy

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine a man wearing hypnose pour femme or a woman wearing Pure Malt, Azzaro pour Homme, antaeus..-

Post Thanks / Like

A few masculine fragrances that smell good on women:

Pour Monsieur
    Invasion Barbare
    Jubilation XXV
    Derby
    Lauder for Men
    Balenciaga pour Homme
    Yohji Homme
    New York (de Nicolai)
    Yatagan
    Habit Rouge
    Eau Sauvage
    Heritage
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Bois du Portugal
    Or Black
    Parfum d'Habit
    Tuscany per Uomo
    Gucci pour Homme
    L'Instant pour Homme
    Bel Ami
    Ormonde Man
    Aramis
    Green Irish Tweed
    Coriolan
    Antaeus
    JHL
    Egoiste
    Third Man
    Cool Water
    M7
    Dior Homme
    Pour Un Homme
    A*Men
    Rochas Man
    Body Kouros

- - There are many more. Women can wear any masculine fragrance. They often smell better on them.
    Last edited by pluran; 19th July 2010 at 03:47 AM.

For me, no rules exist on what a man or a woman chooses to wear. This does not change a man's masculinity nor a woman's femininity.

IMO, the most sensual scent a man can wear is a drop of pure jasmine extrait rubbed onto his hairy, manly chest.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Mike, I have a bottle of Grey Flannel and I wear it when I want a dash of something soapy and clean. I understand that many women wear this...
    Last edited by Primrose; 18th July 2010 at 05:55 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    IMO, the most sensual scent a man can wear is a drop of pure jasmine extrait rubbed onto his hairy, manly chest.
    That I agree. I love wearing rose extraits as well.

There are lots of scents marketed towards woman that I'd never wear, though most of that lot, I wouldn't want my wife to wear either.
    In the end if there are any perceived limitations, I believe this has to do with associated memories and feeling with certain notes, accords or combinations.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe in such boundaries, really, but I'll admit that I personally wouldn't like to smell like original POLO.
    And for a man, I agree with Zibeline. Pink Sugar might be a little tough. Still, I think a man with the right skin chemistry could wear it, and wear it will.

I DO believe in certain kind of boundaries.

SL Muscs Koublaï Khän is only for men and for women with penis envy.

SL À la Nuit is only for women and the men who wear it have too much of the color purple for my taste.

There are many other examples as well but I really can`t be bothered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do believe that there are deeply rooted perceptions about what consists a masculine smell and a feminine smell. However, I also believe that they are constantly changing, completely subjective and I don't believe that they should hinder anyone from wearing whatever they damn well please. I'm sure there are men out there who can wear the hell out of Pink Sugar and À La Nuit, and I am positive that there are women who are sublime in Muscs Khoublaï Khän and Kouros.

I'm not one of them, though (yet). Kouros is difficult for me even on paper.

Edit: and so is Pink Sugar, for similar reasons. Kouros is too butch for me. Pink Sugar is too femme for me.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it's been three years since you wrote this, Mike, but I wear TABU ... and I'm loving it!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    I know it's been three years since you wrote this, Mike, but I wear TABU ... and I'm loving it!
    I have a sample of vintage Tabu that I was gifted. I need to break it out and try it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I have a sample of vintage Tabu that I was gifted. I need to break it out and try it.
    Please do, and tell us what you think!
    It's not for everybody, I know, but I
    find it divine ... and it's dirt cheap!

JC and Duc, now that's the guts of a real perfume lover!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

'Yeah, it is ...' [said like Joey from Friends would have said it]

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I'm trying imagine whether I'd really hate smelling a very obviously feminine fragrance like Fracas or Bulgari pour Femme on a man, and I really don't know. I'd just have to smell it on him and see. I had an old boyfriend who wore my L'Eau d'Issey (feminine version) really well. He used up the entire bottle, as a matter of fact. I think his skin really did pull a different character from the scent than mine, probably because of hormonal differences (?).

I wear Grey Flannel sometimes. It's my husband's old bottle, though. And it really is an old bottle, so it seems quite mellow to me, perhaps because some of the more bracing, macho, manly top notes have gone. Or maybe again it's hormones, but I don't feel it's too masculine for me. I had some Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris that I gave away, even though I loved it, because that one was a smidge too masculine for me. That one just felt like I was wearing a man's fragrance, not like the fragrance had become a part of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I too wear Grey Flannel and MKK and they smell great on me. Penis envy? Lol, you all know I *love* being a girl! I once had DH try Paloma Picasso Mon Parfum and it was very nice on him. I know another man who wears Chanel #5 and it smells better on him than on me. Men and women wear scents differently, just as people of the same gender do.

I agree that a man probably wouldn't smell good in Red Door, but that's only because I don't think anyone would smell good wearing it. The only typically gendered scents that wouldn't smell good on the opposite sex are those that, imo, simply don't smell good period.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpinett View Post
    I do believe that there are deeply rooted perceptions about what consists a masculine smell and a feminine smell. However, I also believe that they are constantly changing, completely subjective and I don't believe that they should hinder anyone from wearing whatever they damn well please.
    This is true. Many men in the eastern part of the world, wear rose and jasmine absolutes for example.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwood View Post
    The only typically gendered scents that wouldn't smell good on the opposite sex are those that, imo, simply don't smell good period.
    That's a very good point.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Please do, and tell us what you think!
    It's not for everybody, I know, but I
    find it divine ... and it's dirt cheap!
    Well I tried it...........and love it! It made me feel like such a dirty girl.....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I cannot imagine a Man wearing Tabu either.....I would never wear this.....never!!!
    I also cannot imagine a Man wearing Aromatics Elixir by Clinique!!!
    Polo on a Lady.....I cannot imagine this at all.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    For me, no rules exist on what a man or a woman chooses to wear. This does not change a man's masculinity nor a woman's femininity.

Mike, I have a bottle of Grey Flannel and I wear it when I want a dash of something soapy and clean. I understand that many women wear this...
    I used to have a bottle of Greay Flannel and enjoyed it very much
    Evenstar

I wear Tabu, JPG Classique, AND Aromatics Elixir. The drydown of Classique is more or less the same as Gaultier 2, which is marketed as unisex, Aromatics is a stronger version of Aramis 900 for men, and Tabu is so raunchy it has no gender, like Angel. 9 out of 10 times I'm wearing something for women, just because most women's fragrances are better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Well I tried it...........and love it! It made me feel like such a dirty girl.....
    I knew it. It is one dirrty scent!

Quote Originally Posted by FruitDiet View Post
    9 out of 10 times I'm wearing something for women, just because most women's fragrances are better.
    Amen!