Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Your Wardrobe Philosophy?

My philosophy is that:

1. Fragrance is for my pleasure; I don't want to turn it into a chore.
    2. Money for my fragrance hobby is a limited resource; our overall family budget has to be kept in perspective.
    3. While there are some perfumes I have loved long term, my tastes do change and have changed-- I've even stopped loving some fragrances that I used to be passionate about.
    4. Part of the fun of fragrance is learning about it.
    5. I'm not going to live forever, and neither will the perfumes.

In practice, this means:

1. I'm not systematic about trying new fragrances, or make long lists of perfumes to try...I just test whatever I can, as the opportunity arises-- or not, if it doesn't arise. I allow my interest in perfume to ebb and flow.
    2. I don't spend large amounts on samples. I rarely do blind buys. And I don't swap much-- it's costly (atomizers, shipping) and time consuming.
    3. I only buy a couple of backups, and then only of the few I love the most; there will always be new fragrances to appreciate-- and money tied up in backup bottles isn't available to buy new perfumes as they come out. Furthermore if I stop loving them, the money was poorly spent (been there.)
    4. I set aside some of my fragrance budget for books about perfume.
    5. I don't "save" my favorite perfumes or try to make the bottles last longer. I wear them whenever I like and spray on as much as I need to to get the best effect, even if it is pricey (Fleur d'Oranger 2007, I'm looking at you!)

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Well . . . one thing just seemed to lead to another.

And now look what's happened!
    This pretty much sums it up for me
    Currently wearing: Theorema by Fendi

i get what i might like cus 90% are blind buys, ocasionaly i get whats on clearance im trying not to pass any chance getting something 50% off
    last time i got issey miyake 50% full summer edition (125ml) for 17 bucks or 30ml cartier's roadster for 10 bucks
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzw

I think I don`t have a philosophy - i just buy what i want

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Reading this post makes me think you'd really like one of my latest discoveries - Ankh by Scents of Time. It smells of a place - almost of a mental state (relaxed, introspective, calm) - more than 'cologne.' It's also woody and a bit spicy without being overtly masculine. After just two wearings, I realized this was easily one of the 20 best scents I've ever smelled.

Thanks! I have ordered a sample of this one to try. I will post my thoughts when it arrives.

Sample everything, buy what you truly like!
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

I buy what I want to smell more of. not even necessarily what I want to wear more of.

My wardrobe philosophy is that more is definitely not less.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I buy what I like. No philosophy. You just define your preferences as you go.
    Yes,what Pluran said.

I am really into the more classic fragrances and i try to collect all of them. Latetst additions:

Bal a Versailles
    Polo
    Bijan
    VC & A
    Knize Ten !

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Sample everything, buy what you truly like!
    Yes, Sample Lots, Buy Little was what I was going to say, but this says it just as well. I have to... my skin chemistry means only a few fragrances smell the same on me as most people will describe on BN. Most of the time one or more notes will be exaggerated and the fragrance becomes unbalanced.

I wear fragrance mainly for my own pleasure, so that I get a waft during the day and think 'oh gawd, that smells bloody good', and it cheers me up, raises my spirits. I've never been one to subscribe to the 'what smell will get the chicks' mentality, although these days I've sort of flipped it on its head, so I dont buy scents that repulse my lovely wife

And when it comes to type of scent, I will buy ones that feel 'refreshing' in warmer weather, 'warming, enveloping, comforting' in colder weather. So I have 2 groups, one that is exactly what Dullah describes as his favourites, for summer, and the other that are Gourmands and spicy or woody Orientals for winter. Spring and Autumn I wear the ones from the summer group that have heavier woody bases, or the lightest ones from the winter group.

And I try not to have too many that overlap a lot and are very similar - if I find a fragrance that is like something I already have but that I prefer to what I already have, I will just note it down and finish my existing bottle before buying the doppelganger. I'm quite self controlled like that!

I actually try to work through the major groups, comparing frags back to back through samples, and then buying the 1-2 that best exemplify that genre, plus ones that take an interesting spin on it. In some cases though, when I really love a certain genre I'll explore it a bit more and may end up with several bottles.

I'm still doing the sample, sample, sample thing, but have now moved up to decants. But I usually find before I'm even done 5ml I sort of know if it's a "chuck it in the swap pile" or "buy a bottle" frag. In some cases I might keep samples on hand just as a reference because they're so talked about and I don't get them yet (like half of Guerlain's), or because they're good basic examples of a certain note so it helps me find those notes in other frags.

I'm worried about turning into a "collector" and having hundreds of bottles, just for the sake of it. I'd rather have 15-20 I love that covers all my bases and does each one very well.
    Tom Ford Splits: ORIGINAL AMBER ABSOLUTE AVAILABLE (PreReformulation)!!!
    ONE LEFT:
    Italian Cypress, Azure Lime, Costa Azzura, Patchouli Absolu, Mandarino Di Amalfi

Also: Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Lavender Palm, Plum Japonais, Champacca Absolute
    Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

No actual philosophy, as I am quite keen on trying and buying (almost) anything; although there are two dominating trends in my wardrobe:

1) acquire as many classic, clean-cut, no-nonsense male designer (and, whenever the budget allows this, also niche) frags
    2) more recently, I developed a strong liking for gourmand male frags