Code of Conduct

Smile Your Wardrobe Philosophy?

Do you attempt to own a single bottle that represents the "best" (in your opinion) of a particular genre (after testing, sampling, sniffing, researching, of course) - or do you love a particular note (vetiver, rose, vanilla, tobacco, booze, etc.) and look to own a variety of frags within that category? Or a combo - mostly a variety, with a soft spot for a particular note?

Default Re: Your Wardrobe Philosophy?

I buy what I like. No philosophy. You just define your preferences as you go.

I try to own as many as possible. I don't stick to any specific fragrance or house or note or olfactory group. I like 'em all!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    This.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Well vetiver is, by far, my favorite note - although I do own and appreciate many other types of frags. My philosophy, based on what I've accumulated thus far, is to own as many of the best vetivers as I can find and then have one or two of my favorites from each of the other genres I like. Example - I own Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire, Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental, Guerlain's Vetiver, Creed's Original Vetiver, and R&G Vetyver. I have one sandalwood - MPG Santal Noble; 2 Lavenders - Caron Pour un Homme and Creed's Royal Scottish Lavender; 1 musk - Luten's Muscs Koublai Khan; 2 Ambers - Luten's Ambre Sultan and l'Occitane's Ambre; 1 Vanilla - l'Artisan's Havana Vanille; 1 Oud - Montale's Black Aoud; 1 Iris - Dior's Homme Intense; etc... So, as should be apparent - vetiver is my favorite - and I wear a vetiver 7 or 8 times out of 10 - but I like having the others for those rare days when I'm not in a vetiver mood. Sorry to ramble - I'm sure you didn't want a complete run-down of my wardrobe.

I used to try to cover all the bases and collected. Now I just own what I like and want to wear. I don't covet any fragrance that I can't wear all the time. I generally like woody, spicy frags. I also like fragrances that don't give off that 'cologne guy' vibe. Surprisingly because of this, 99% of my collection is firmly unisex...none are overtly masculine. Unisex frags tend to be more aloof and ethereal (abstract maybe?). They smell of situations, places, things, processes rather than the smell one would associate traditionally with feminine or masculine 'perfume'. Does that make sense? I didn't think so. Oh well...
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 21st July 2010 at 02:08 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I buy fragrances mainly based on their quality & wearability in relation to my preferred style and the social situations I'm likely to find myself in. The same way I pick my clothes wardrobe, really. But I do indulge in collecting wonderful though not necessarily wearable fragrances in the form of minis, decants and samples. Fragrance sampling is almost like food or wine-tasting except you won't get fat or drunk.

I am trying to cover all basic occasions with best scent but so far my favourites are not that much wearable right now (in summer) because most interesting fragrances that I own are made for evening use and winter. Still looking for summer / casual office wear holy grail. I am not looking for much variety on same note (for example vanilla) because usually I prefer one strongly over other and worse one dont get much use (for example Pure Malt vs. Rochas Man)
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I've nearly got them all .........
    "Dont try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Dependent

No strict adherence, but I do enjoy exploring and collecting by house.

While there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the philosophy of keeping one's wardrobe small by only choosing a single "best" in each category, it can lead to a reflexively negative stance towards nearly everything outside this small circle. A much better approach to the small wardrobe, in my opinion, is to accept that one's choices are arbitrary to a degree -- that there are bottles out there that you enjoy or even love but don't need to own.
    Spray it, dont say it
    WARDROBE

Me too.

I'm basically insatiable. I want to have everything in my wardrobe. My frags are a mix of different notes (vetiver, tobacco, citrus, gourmands, leather, etc).

I just buy what I like. However, I do try to keep a wardrobe that has a variety that will cover different seasons and situations. For example, there are about 4 scents that I probably will not wear until the temperatures cool down (L'Instant, Varvatos, Dior Homme, etc).

Joy and fun...

Blog Entries

For the most part, my wardrobe (atleast what i mainly wear) revolves around vanilla in one way or another. Vanilla, caramel, chocolate, coffee...all those gourmand notes are what i love in food, and if those are in a fragrance, you bet im buying it.'

i mean hell, look at this list lol:

Pi, Le Male, A*Men, Rochas Man, John Varvatos, JOOP! Homme (maybe not vanilla, but its in the same catagory)

I love to smell vanilla on a girl too, i think thats actually why i have so much vanilla stuff. I remember when i first started getting into fragrances, i'd always smell vanilla on one of my friends and it was such an intoxicating, yummy, sexy smell. Then i'd go back to wearing my other mall crap (Vurt Green, liquid ambergris). John Varvatos is actually what really got my into vanilla fragrances. I wanted a leather fragrance for whatever reason, and Marc (the youtube reviewer) recommended me Varvatos. So i went and tried it, liked it, bought it online. One night after wearing it in the day, i got this heavenly whiff of vanilla. Lo and behold, it was coming from my wrist! I think i bought Le Male a while after that and its all gone crazy from there...

I definitely avoid aquatics, although i would own Acqua Di Gio if it wasnt so damn expensive for what you get. Anything light and inoffensive i try to avoid. If i do own those, they were blind buys at TJ Maxx, or earlier straying into the no-no aquatic worlds before i knew better.

The only other two worth mentioning are Fahrenheit and Dirty English. On the total flip side of my sweet collection, i'm also a sucker for down-right filthy and extremely not-sweet fragrances. Albeit i wear them less, but to deny Fahrenheit a mention...that stuff is absolutely incredible. Something about the "Russian Leather" drydown that blows me away
    Last edited by Neurosis; 21st July 2010 at 03:56 PM.

With sampling, yes, I target specific houses and notes, and explore them in depth.

But when it comes to be drobe...if I sample several scents from a certain category and don't like any of them, I won't buy a bottle in that category, just to have a representative in my wardrobe. I do try to have some variety - a cross section of themes - but I don't insist on it.

Mainly, I get what I like. And I happen to like variety.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

i buy from mostly those that are available to me at the bargain bin. mostly hard to find vintages. this is where basenotes comes in. i read reviews then do searches then come back for it a few days later if the reviews are glowing. for newer frags i attempt to own a single bottle period. of course that too keeps changing from time to time. i know what i like i.e. mature dressy gentlemanly fragrances but i also try things that don't fit my tastes. at the same time i also follow trends and ponder what it means to be modern in fragrance. the thread on trends like teas, aouds, incense and woody ambers is good for this as well as the modern classics threads. you mentioned notes and i think the rise of niche frags has put an emphasis on single note fragrances. this is fine by me as i like simpler frags. i also flip through the a-z guide often to get a better feel of images scents conjure up.
    Last edited by pourhomme; 22nd July 2010 at 04:17 AM.

Pretty much this^^^

I enjoy this as a hobby. I don't really get into all the categories and have the luxury of not having to concern myself with prices (to a degree).

This is exactly how I built mine, and then I swapped and sold as I foud new scents which trumped the previous leaders of any particular style to the point of rendering the old guard unwearable.

Turns out, the vast majority of my scents are dominated by very "natural" examples of 2 categories:
    1. Semi-Sweet Citrus notes (Mandarin, Tangerine, Brazilian Orange, etc.)
    2. Fresh Green notes (violet leaf, grasses, petitgrain, galbanum, etc.)

And many of my scents overlap into these two categories, but I wouldn't dare get rid of them.
    I have an extremely lopsided wardrobe, with no true orientals I think. Just Fresh/Citrus/Green/Floral/Wood, and a few novelty gourmands for the eating disorder hookups (feels evil typing it) LOL.

this

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I used to try to cover all the bases and collected. Now I just own what I like and want to wear. I don't covet any fragrance that I can't wear all the time. I generally like woody, spicy frags. I also like fragrances that don't give off that 'cologne guy' vibe. Surprisingly because of this, 99% of my collection is firmly unisex...none are overtly masculine. Unisex frags tend to be more aloof and ethereal (abstract maybe?). They smell of situations, places, things, processes rather than the smell one would associate traditionally with feminine or masculine 'perfume'. Does that make sense? I didn't think so. Oh well...
    Reading this post makes me think you'd really like one of my latest discoveries - Ankh by Scents of Time. It smells of a place - almost of a mental state (relaxed, introspective, calm) - more than 'cologne.' It's also woody and a bit spicy without being overtly masculine. After just two wearings, I realized this was easily one of the 20 best scents I've ever smelled.

Anyhow, I tend to also "buy what I like" with the proviso that I need to actually see myself wearing it regularly to own a bottle. There are a number of great, beautiful scents that I am so happy to have smelled but do not feel the need to own a bottle of; a sample to sniff now and again is enough. There are scents that I love - some in my top 12 list below - that I don't feel are in any way masterpieces or even great by any kind of objective measure. Something doesn't have to advance the art of perfumery just to click with you.

I just wish we had two star ratings to give scents - objective and subjective. For instance, Romance Silver is, imo, objectively maybe a 3 star fragrance (I'd give it something like a 70 on a 100 point scale), but subjectively I enjoy it greatly, much more than many scents that I think are actually more complicated, advanced creations. Subjectively I'd give it 4 or 4.5 stars (say, 90%, an A-), just because I really like the grapey note and that sheer, silvery musk that dominates the drydown.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 22nd July 2010 at 04:42 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

If a little is good, more is better.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Hillaire

I go about my perfume-buying house by house, exploring the line through samples and fleshing out each house with as many as I really love. For most houses I acquire zero fragrances tested, but for some houses I end up collecting all their offerings, like Amouage or Nicolai.

I also just buy anything that really strikes my fancy at any given moment.

Most of my superfluous fragrances as well as regrettable losses are the result of swapping mistakes. My philosophy about that is I don't really like to swap anymore, and I avoid it.

If I had just stuck to purchases all along, I'd be happier.

I have another philosophy;I never blind buy. Ever.

My (now no longer) secret motivation. Once or twice in my life I've smelled some fragrance and always wondered what it was (never having time to ask the person). I've been looking for it ever since. I have the feeling though, it may have been a female frag, but I swear it was manly. Very manly. Maybe even my holy grail.

As the quest continues, I realize the wisdom in the cliche about the journey.

I'm in the process of "weeding out" frags that are similar to my favorites yet not quite as good. They mostly end up swapped or on ebay, eventually. However, I don't just go for an oriental, but rather there are many that might be classified as such but I find different enough to keep in the rotation. The most important thing is that I have to enjoy it but not think about another frag that I find very similar but that I like more.

Well . . . one thing just seemed to lead to another.

And now look what's happened!

I am for searching for 3,4,5 or 6 great fragrances for my every needs, once i have them i will move on to the next thing. Sad but true.

No real philosophy , I have just decided to go down the non mainstream smelly avenue and loving every minute

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by Knisse View Post
    I am for searching for 3,4,5 or 6 great fragrances for my every needs, once i have them i will move on to the next thing. Sad but true.
    +1.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My philosophy is that:

1. Fragrance is for my pleasure; I don't want to turn it into a chore.
    2. Money for my fragrance hobby is a limited resource; our overall family budget has to be kept in perspective.
    3. While there are some perfumes I have loved long term, my tastes do change and have changed-- I've even stopped loving some fragrances that I used to be passionate about.
    4. Part of the fun of fragrance is learning about it.
    5. I'm not going to live forever, and neither will the perfumes.

In practice, this means:

1. I'm not systematic about trying new fragrances, or make long lists of perfumes to try...I just test whatever I can, as the opportunity arises-- or not, if it doesn't arise. I allow my interest in perfume to ebb and flow.
    2. I don't spend large amounts on samples. I rarely do blind buys. And I don't swap much-- it's costly (atomizers, shipping) and time consuming.
    3. I only buy a couple of backups, and then only of the few I love the most; there will always be new fragrances to appreciate-- and money tied up in backup bottles isn't available to buy new perfumes as they come out. Furthermore if I stop loving them, the money was poorly spent (been there.)
    4. I set aside some of my fragrance budget for books about perfume.
    5. I don't "save" my favorite perfumes or try to make the bottles last longer. I wear them whenever I like and spray on as much as I need to to get the best effect, even if it is pricey (Fleur d'Oranger 2007, I'm looking at you!)

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Well . . . one thing just seemed to lead to another.

And now look what's happened!
    This pretty much sums it up for me

i get what i might like cus 90% are blind buys, ocasionaly i get whats on clearance im trying not to pass any chance getting something 50% off
    last time i got issey miyake 50% full summer edition (125ml) for 17 bucks or 30ml cartier's roadster for 10 bucks
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzw

I think I don`t have a philosophy - i just buy what i want

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Reading this post makes me think you'd really like one of my latest discoveries - Ankh by Scents of Time. It smells of a place - almost of a mental state (relaxed, introspective, calm) - more than 'cologne.' It's also woody and a bit spicy without being overtly masculine. After just two wearings, I realized this was easily one of the 20 best scents I've ever smelled.

Thanks! I have ordered a sample of this one to try. I will post my thoughts when it arrives.

Sample everything, buy what you truly like!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I buy what I want to smell more of. not even necessarily what I want to wear more of.

My wardrobe philosophy is that more is definitely not less.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Yes,what Pluran said.

I am really into the more classic fragrances and i try to collect all of them. Latetst additions:

Bal a Versailles
    Polo
    Bijan
    VC & A
    Knize Ten !

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Sample everything, buy what you truly like!
    Yes, Sample Lots, Buy Little was what I was going to say, but this says it just as well. I have to... my skin chemistry means only a few fragrances smell the same on me as most people will describe on BN. Most of the time one or more notes will be exaggerated and the fragrance becomes unbalanced.

I wear fragrance mainly for my own pleasure, so that I get a waft during the day and think 'oh gawd, that smells bloody good', and it cheers me up, raises my spirits. I've never been one to subscribe to the 'what smell will get the chicks' mentality, although these days I've sort of flipped it on its head, so I dont buy scents that repulse my lovely wife

And when it comes to type of scent, I will buy ones that feel 'refreshing' in warmer weather, 'warming, enveloping, comforting' in colder weather. So I have 2 groups, one that is exactly what Dullah describes as his favourites, for summer, and the other that are Gourmands and spicy or woody Orientals for winter. Spring and Autumn I wear the ones from the summer group that have heavier woody bases, or the lightest ones from the winter group.

And I try not to have too many that overlap a lot and are very similar - if I find a fragrance that is like something I already have but that I prefer to what I already have, I will just note it down and finish my existing bottle before buying the doppelganger. I'm quite self controlled like that!

I actually try to work through the major groups, comparing frags back to back through samples, and then buying the 1-2 that best exemplify that genre, plus ones that take an interesting spin on it. In some cases though, when I really love a certain genre I'll explore it a bit more and may end up with several bottles.

I'm still doing the sample, sample, sample thing, but have now moved up to decants. But I usually find before I'm even done 5ml I sort of know if it's a "chuck it in the swap pile" or "buy a bottle" frag. In some cases I might keep samples on hand just as a reference because they're so talked about and I don't get them yet (like half of Guerlain's), or because they're good basic examples of a certain note so it helps me find those notes in other frags.

I'm worried about turning into a "collector" and having hundreds of bottles, just for the sake of it. I'd rather have 15-20 I love that covers all my bases and does each one very well.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

No actual philosophy, as I am quite keen on trying and buying (almost) anything; although there are two dominating trends in my wardrobe:

1) acquire as many classic, clean-cut, no-nonsense male designer (and, whenever the budget allows this, also niche) frags
    2) more recently, I developed a strong liking for gourmand male frags