Code of Conduct

Default Do you smell spice and pepper in GREY FLANNEL'S sillage?

I'm wearing an old favorite today, Grey Flannel. All day I've been smelling what smells like a spicy, peppery note all around me (it smells great, BTW). At first I thought I might have been smelling someone else's fragrance, but I've been smelling it all day, no matter where I am, so I'm assuming it's me.

Now, I don't believe GF has pepper or spicy notes in its pyramid, and what's most unusual is that when I sniff it on my wrist close up, I don't smell any pepper or spice at all. I only smell it in its radiant scent. It's intriguing, and also very impressive.

Have any of you GF wearers experienced this?

Default Re: Do you smell spice and pepper in GREY FLANNEL'S sillage?

Me too,I don't smell any pepper or spice at all.

I would certainly like to be smelling that! That sounds great, and much more complex than I have experienced.

I own a bottle, but the only time I have really worn it, it was so "in my face" that I haven't reached for the bottle again. I have only sniffed the nozzle since and smelled that loud, high-pitched, grassy, shampoo-like smell...I think it smells cheap and I'm not fond of it at all.

How did you apply it when you got the sillage you were describing?...
    ďI wanna say something. Iím gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you donít, send it right backÖ."

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    How did you apply it when you got the sillage you were describing?...
    I didn't apply much - you don't need to with this powerhouse. I did one spray to my palm, then patted it on my neck. Then one spray to my wrist, which I rubbed onto my other wrist and hands, then two shots to my chest.

The sillage on this is incredible. It seems to project for miles. Long lasting too. I put this on ten hours ago, and it's still pounding.

Sounds great! You've inspired me to try this one again then...
    ďI wanna say something. Iím gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you donít, send it right backÖ."

I don't smell any pepper or spices, it is all about the violet leaf
    Evenstar

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I know the feeling. Before i knew my violets from citrus i had this same thoughts re GF. Still do. I would guess that the sage and other herbals, together with the suppressed but still strong vetiver provide the nose-tingling sensation that adds character to what could have been a one-star show.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I know the feeling. Before i knew my violets from citrus i had this same thoughts re GF. Still do. I would guess that the sage and other herbals, together with the suppressed but still strong vetiver provide the nose-tingling sensation that adds character to what could have been a one-star show.
    Thanks for the clarification, perf. I always thought of violet leaf as a purely bitter/sour smell, but maybe it is a bit more complex than that. GF's low price tag is deceptive, because this is a very complex, fascinating, and excellent fragrance. I just started wearing it again, after not wearing it for like seven years, and I can't believe I've gone so long without it. A classic if there ever was one.

Grey Flannel is the only fragrance I apply in a gentle mist. If applied that way, it smells lovely. Overspray - and somewhere a kitten dies...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

A Classic Fragrance in every sense. Glad You have found this one after so long Shamu, never should have left. I agree with Perfaddict, The Violet Leaf is a very complex Note. Never Know what it's going to do

All of you guys are right about the violet leaf giving off what I perceived as pepper. Just yesterday I sampled for the first time Narciso Rodriguez For Him, which we all know makes heavy use of violet leaf. And voila! I smelled leafy green, wood, and the same "pepper" note I smelled in Grey Flannel.

Yes, violet leaf is apparently quite a multifaceted and fascinating fragrance note.