Code of Conduct

Thread: How many times?

Default How many times?

So how many times do you find yourself putting fragrances on during a full day through evening. Do you end up switching it up?

Usually most of my fragrances last about 8 hours tops, so if it's on at 6am, I'll put something else on after I get out of work. It's refreshing being able to wear something different in the evening.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How many times?

On most days, 2. One to start my day off, and one right after shower when I'm off work. On days when I'm sleeping late (which is quite often recently, especially during World Cup month, when catching the matches live meant staying up till 5am), I tend to have a 3rd one just an hour or 2 before I hit the sack (doesn't matter to me if it clashes with my "evening" scent", I just enjoy it anyhow).

*I like to use a different scent each time, it is more fun and enjoyable for me.
    Last edited by MFJ; 22nd July 2010 at 04:52 PM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I wear only 1 fragrance pretty much every day (no re-application). If I am going out somewhere special at night, I may put on a different fragrance (after a shower).
    Last edited by petruccijc; 22nd July 2010 at 08:16 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

No more than 2. One in the morning and then 1 at night if I'm off out.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear one throughout the day and usually have a small decant of it with me that I re-apply (1 spray) when I get off of work and head-out. After I shower (immediately before bed) I apply a light lavender frag for bed. So, technically I use 2/day, but in reality it's just one (seeing that the second one is purely for my own enjoyment as I sleep).

Post Thanks / Like

Recently, since I have been sampling a lot of niche fragrances, I would say 5 times a day (washing fragrances off after they run their course).

When I am not sampling, I use an aquatic or sport fragrance when I wake up (something light and refreshing). After a few hours, I shower and then apply another fragrance for the day, which I will freshen up throughout the day if necessary (the same fragrance).

At bedtime, I wear something new and different from the day time fragrances, just to add variety.

Post Thanks / Like

Only one pr day. With Light and fresh ones, I have to spray on some more after some hours.

Once and only for work days or special occasions.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Once a day on work days. Nowadays on Saturdays when i stay in i use up to 3 scents. Sundays, 2. It will still take years to run out of the frags i have
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

I wear one in a day.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear one SotD only, but when I get home from work, I usually pick a different frag and just spray a shot on the back of my hand, just to be able to sample it for the rest of the evening.

I wear two fragrances a day.

One in the morning just as I leave for work.

The second is when I am at home alone in the evening, the choice here will be for a fragrance I just want to enjoy for my own pleasure.

So today for example, I wore Guerlain Vetiver all day, because it smells great in hot humid weather.

This evening I am enjoying L'Ipirie by L'Occitane.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually 4 a day. Sometimes 5.

Gym (optional)
    A.M. at work
    Afternoon
    P.M. at home
    Bed

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I wear only 1 fragrance pretty much every day (no re-application). If I am going out somewhere special at night, I may put on a different fragrance (after a shower).
    +1 though sometimes I might experiment on the weekends at home and wear a few different scents.

Post Thanks / Like

My work is from 9-6pm. Whatever I put on in the morning, I usually bring the bottle to work. Half way through the day I always refresh. If I have plans for the night, I would go home, take another shower and choose a different scent. However, even if I don't have plans for the night, when I get home from work, I would still take another shower and put on another perfume. hahahaha
    Last edited by volley2; 23rd July 2010 at 02:16 AM.

Usually just one. Lately, because of the heat, so will wear something else later in the day after another shower.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

I wear one before going to work and bring the bottle or decant along if reapplication is needed. I also bring a couple of other decants for the SotE or if I decide to switch my SotD. At home after shower, I'll wear something my wife likes or try samples so that my wife can comment.

Once in the morning, again in evening if I'll be around someone else (strangers too). No rule about keeping it the same.

Post Thanks / Like

only one fragrance per day and i re-spray during the day
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

Once per day, unless I need to shower again. I'll only reapply something if it's very light, like an eau de cologne.
    Vintage Guerlain, Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, and other rare off-site sales.
    Frederic Malle, Guerlain, by Kilian, and Amouage splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

I usually change between the morning scent and the one I apply after work - so, I usually have a SotD and a SotE.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Two different frags each day ... rarely three!

Post Thanks / Like

One per day...re-applying the afternoon!I use another evening scent only when i need to go out
    I usually do my testing before going to bed at night
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I used to use more than one per day, sometimes without showering in between, but I find it far more enjoyable now that I tend to stick to one scent per day. Of course, if I've got something big going on in the evening, I'll shower and wear something appropriate - but most days I just wear one scent.

IMO, the absolute worst thing to do is to sample something while you still have traces of something else left. It's just not fair to the scent being sampled (unless you go into it with this mindset, and are just sampling to reacquaint yourself with something you've already sampled - but I feel nothing new should ever be tested under those conditions, or if it is, any judgment regarding the scent should be postponed until you give it a proper wearing that isn't over another scent).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

One fragrance in the morning and another one in the evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, now since being laid off work, I find myself switching fragrances too often throughout the day. Far too often. I could wear up to 6 fragrances a day sometimes; never layering them though, I have an antibacterial hand sanitizer here that I'll use to to get the scent off, wait for a few mins, and then put on something new.

Yesterday for example, I woke up, showered, wanted something bold yet good in heat, so I reached for the Horizon. wore that for about 6 hours, it was still going well when I decided to scrub it off and go with something completely different in Arpege, it wasn't more than 4 hours before this was dried up (my skin sucks Arpege right up) so I went crazy and did 4 different fragrances, TdH from sample decant I have, Tobacco Vanille, one on inner arm one on outter, Other side was Cigar on one side and Usher on the other. I had no where to go last night, just reading forums, playing games, talking to friends, social networking, etc.. sitting on the computer for most of the night and wanted to smell many different things.

But on days when I worked, I would usually wear one of my signature scents, come home and depending on what was left of it, reapply it if i could still smell the bottom notes a little, or if it was gone I'd go with something new.

Then there's usually a different fragrance on my pillow every night or sheets, one of m cheaper ones that I don't wear as often.

One fragrance a day, never more!

When I'm wearing fragrance, I want to enjoy the full ride, that means untill the basenotes.

I avoid spraying pillows and such with fragrance, as to many fragrance everywhere makes me anosmic.

I have days that I don't use any fragrance. Might be hell to some, but heaven to me.
    Why? Because the day after when I'm applying something I smell it a lot better. Fragrance with low longevity suddenly has good longevity with nice sillage, you know.

Like a person needs sleep to recover, the nose needs a rest to. When there is constantly fragrance around you, even when you are sleeping, you won't be able to judge a new fragrance correctly, especially when it comes to sillage and longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    When there is constantly fragrance around you, even when you are sleeping, you won't be able to judge a new fragrance correctly, especially when it comes to sillage and longevity.
    I don't at all get this philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I don't at all get this philosophy.
    It's from personal experience.
    Try to have a day without fragrance.
    The next day test a sample.
    You will smell it a lot more brighter, even smelling notes you haven't smelled before in it.
    Maybe it's just my nose that has this, I don't know.

1 per day no reapplication.

I usually respray it 1-3 times during a day - depends on fragrance and weather

One fragrance a day, never more!

When I'm wearing fragrance, I want to enjoy the full ride, that means untill the basenotes.
    Same here. I only reapply if I go out again in the evening. And I also agree with the wanting to give your nose a rest thing. Constantly wearing a fragrance would to me be like having the radio blasting from morning to bedtime. Don't like that either.

It's from personal experience.
    Try to have a day without fragrance.
    The next day test a sample.
    You will smell it a lot more brighter, even smelling notes you haven't smelled before in it.
    Maybe it's just my nose that has this, I don't know.
    I'm wondering if the constant exposure to extreme levels of fragrance (e.g people who wear something like 3-5 sprays of a Montale) really is temporarily reducing the olfactory capabilities (by increasing the olfactory stimuli threshold, perhaps?) of a lot of members here. It's the only explanation I can find for so many people complaining of so many fragrances having horrible longevity. Perhaps even, extreme levels of exposure (or perhaps just extended exposure over a certain threshold) to certain chemicals may induce a (temporary... or, eek, permanent?) anosmia to them?

All I know is that I wear 1 or 2 sprays of almost every scent I own or have ever come across, and they all last at least 4 hours, with 90+% lasting 6 hours or more, and the majority lasting over 8. They don't all project the same amount, but for me to consider it still present means I can at least catch an occasional, perhaps light, whiff of it without having to stick my nose down my shirt or any other action intended to intentioanlly smell it.

I just wish people would realize that if you can't smell something after 30 minutes or an hour - especially some modern designer that are typically loaded up with cheap musks and such - it's not because the scent is gone. It's your nose - you're either anosmic or, if you put on more than 2 or 3 sprays, or you sprayed even a single of those on your neck, you've induced olfactory fatigue. There's not a modern designer scent out there that is designed to last an hour or less.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Once a day, with almost no exception from this ground rule

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I wear one SotD only, but when I get home from work, I usually pick a different frag and just spray a shot on the back of my hand, just to be able to sample it for the rest of the evening.
    I pretty much adhere to this format as well.