Code of Conduct

Default Buying Fragrance on Vacation

Do you guys ever buy fragrance while you are on vacation as a way to remember the trip? If so, where were you and what did you buy?

Default Re: Buying Fragrance on Vacation

Yes! If I go to different places, I would normally look for unique items/scents. Probably frags that I couldn't get where I am based now, Shanghai.

All the time! In Hawaii last year, I found Kate Spade Beauty and all the Nandebarrys Bronze Pink and Green.

I purchased Byredo FANTASTIC MAN last month in Chicago. I really enjoyed my trip there so everytime I wear it, I think of my trip. It is the fragrance I reach for the most now.

M7 in Lisbon. It's not that I had to go all the way to find M7 , but I needed a break from the heat and a bit of frag sniffing in an air-conditioned environment sounded about right. Also, I felt so restricted with my very limited fragrance wardrobe while on holiday. I wore it quite a lot.

I sure do.....I go on fragrance vacations.....Gary

Definitely yes. As I understand it, our memories and emotions are very powerfully tied to our sense of smell…so what better way to remember a time and place than to have a fragrance to associate it with.

I bought Givenchy Insense Ultramarine when I was in Madrid in the mid-90’s, wore it all the way through Spain, France, and Italy on a two week trip…it still to this day brings back very clearly that experience, including all the happiness that went with it.

It obviously works best when you buy the fragrance early and try and wear it the entire trip. It’s like you’re brainwashing yourself!
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Absolutely. Every time I am in Paris and Grasse.

But buying the occasional fragrance on vacation is always a great olfactory souvenir, definitely, e.g. "Bigarade Concentrée" at the wonderful Frederic Malle boutique in rue du Mont Thabor in Paris, and just last week "Jaisalmer" from the CdG "Incense" series while in Mykonos. Actually, the little boutique had run out of Jaisalmer, but did have a sample, so I bought it as soon as I got back. The pine-incense-and-cinnamon works surprisingly well in very warm weather both in Greece and back home in Germany.

Maybe it's tacky, but I like to buy fragrances at Duty-Free stores at the airports where I travel. I was in Las Vegas for a friend's wedding in July (don't ask) two years ago and have never experienced such heat. Maybe I wasn't thinking straight, but I bought Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil at the airport on my way back. I will always associate it with extreme heat, and like to wear it on the hottest days of summer, or anytime at the beach. It has a refreshing green note that's really nice on hot muggy days.

I always make bad decisions due to excitement. If I'm shopping in New York, less pressure since I'll have it mailed. But, when in Europe, common sense abandons me!

Always
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got back from New York with a way heavier luggage.

Fragrance wise, I bought full bottles of Epic Man, Le Labo Rose 31, Nasomatto Absynthe and Aventus. Had 3-4 other "must buy now" fragrances on my list for NYC but clothing shopping took the rest of the money I could "reasonably" spend on the trip.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

I'm going to Atlantis Paradise Island in Bahamas this weekend.

Any tips on the best shop(s) there to buy fragrances?

I have purchased fragrance while on vacation in many cities!!! New York City, Chicago, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Orlando and on and on!!!
    This is a Great way to remember a vacation.....Gary

Basenotes Institution

I'm traveling to NY on vacation tomorrow and I plan on buying a 'vacation' scent - for sure. It's a tradition I follow every time I travel (unless of course I travel somewhere where the fragrance selection sucks).

Yes, I am very limited on what I can get at home. The closest halfway decent retailer is two hours drive, so a vacation is a good time to try and buy. I bought some Frederic Malle last year on vacation, will likely buy more this year. The closest FM reseller to me is a six hour drive...