Code of Conduct

Default Three Blind Buys...

Based on all I'd read, I decided the other night that Guerlain Vetiver had to be right up my alley, so I ordered me a big four ouncer of the stuff. And since I was spending the shiping, I'd pick up a couple cheaper ones, too. Van Cleef and Arpels pH, and Azzaro pH.

The Guerlain Vetiver: It smells like anise, and powder with some herbs buried way down there somewhere. Reminds me of something that one of my aunts wore years ago, and I didn't like it then. Very linear drydown. It has neither changed nor weakened in two hours. I'll give this a couple more tries, then it's off to the trade list. I gave it one good blast to my inner arm. Is there a chance that I over-applied, or perhaps got a bad bottle? This stuff smells nothing like what I'd imagined from reading on it.

Van Cleef and Arpels: After spraying, my initial though was, "WTF?". This is some peculiar smelling stuff. Initially smells a lot like inhaling the smoke from a burning incense stick. Gets powdery after a few minutes, but maintains some incense and a lot of other "dark" stuff going on under the powder. I like it alright, but am having a hard time imagining when I'd wear it. It'll definitely get another few tests....perhaps I'm fatigued from the Vetiver.

Azzaro pH: This one is up my alley. Very similar to Tuscany....perhaps too similar to get a lot of wear. Very good for the money, though.

Default Re: Three Blind Buys...

Welcome to basenotes!

Guerlain Vetiver, I wouldn't really recommend you trade this off. This one is a masterpiece. Keep it, keep trying. Maybe it will grow on you. Maybe you did over spray. Or maybe just doesn't work on your skin with the current weather from where you are right now. Try it on a different season. Guerlain Vetiver is very versatile anyway IMO.

I can't really say much about the other 2 for I have never smelled them. Although I have read a lot of good stuff about Azzaro Ph. In fact, it's even one of Turin's top 10 masculines. Should I blind buy this one? Anyone?
    Last edited by volley2; 23rd July 2010 at 01:46 AM.

Azzaro PH is a nice masculine. Just right, very balanced.
    Guerlain vetiver, I don't like either. Of all the vetivers I tried, that's the weakest one.
    Feels sterile, gutless, soapy and not worthy of being called a vetiver.

Thanks for the welcome! I'll hang on to the Vetiver. As you point out, there may be a factor (or factors) that are throwing this one off for me. Next try will be a "walk through".

As for the Azzaro, if you're a fan of Aramis, Tuscany, and the like I think you'd like this. I find it to be in very much the same vein. Looking forward to trying it on its own, without the other two aforementioned weirdos skewing my sense of smell!

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    Of all the vetivers I tried, that's the weakest one.
    Feels sterile, gutless, soapy and not worthy of being called a vetiver.
    It's the first one I've tried....figured I may as well start with a (the?) classic. Time will tell! I do get some similarities with Paco Rabanne pH (green notes, powder), which I love, but this one is sitting wrong on me at the moment!

Sur la Plage

All 3 winners IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Wow....the Van Cleef and Arpels is drying down into something really nice....dark, but clean. This is something else.

The Guerlain is beginning to fade, thankfully. Hasn't changed much. Still smells odd to (or on) me.

The Azzaro has cleaned up quite a bit. To me, most of these types of fragrances become "darker" and/or "sweeter" as they dry down and fade. This one has definitely lightened up...the citrus notes persist while the heavier spices and herbals fade slightly. This is good stuff.

See if you can trade the Guerlain (soft, warm) for Encre Noir (sharp, medicinal?) I have an avoidance to vetiver but own both. Since you tried the one, why not try the another end of the spectrum? warning: EN may come across similar to a synthetic CDG composition ( I could be wrong, just a thought on the profile).

I'm naturally really sorry to see anyone so disappointed in a scent they pick up, but I've got to praise you for taking a stab at those three. Hang in there on the Guerlain, sure, but doggone it, you picked three very superior scents to try out. Reading your post I was thinkin, dang, good picks--how did this guy know to pick those three glories so easily?

Maybe you'll never warm to the Guerlain (there's always that risk) but it might take three or six days of wearing it and you'll turn around. That often, OFTEN, happens to me. I think your smelling anise in it is a bit peculiar though. I haven't ever gotten that. I get grassy hay (the green stuff), some blonde tobacco, and some citrus.

Great picks, A.Homme. Way to take a stab at some good pieces of the fragrant art.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by cedarnotes View Post
    warning: EN may come across similar to a synthetic CDG composition ( I could be wrong, just a thought on the profile).
    Encre Noir sounds really good....I'd never heard of it, so thanks for the recommendation. Pretty easy on the wallet, too.

And I'm assuming that by CDG you mean Comme des Garcons. No need to warn me, as I've never smelled anything from them, as far as I know.

Encre noir is great. Can't go wrong with it.

I have this one as well. Encre Noir is great. It is very different from Guerlain. This to me, smells like a burning wood. If Guerlain Vetiver is soapy, vetiver....Encre Noir is smoky vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I'm naturally really sorry to see anyone so disappointed in a scent they pick up, but I've got to praise you for taking a stab at those three. Hang in there on the Guerlain, sure, but doggone it, you picked three very superior scents to try out. Reading your post I was thinkin, dang, good picks--how did this guy know to pick those three glories so easily?

Maybe you'll never warm to the Guerlain (there's always that risk) but it might take three or six days of wearing it and you'll turn around. That often, OFTEN, happens to me. I think your smelling anise in it is a bit peculiar though. I haven't ever gotten that. I get grassy hay (the green stuff), some blonde tobacco, and some citrus.

Great picks, A.Homme. Way to take a stab at some good pieces of the fragrant art.
    I'm not a total n00b...I've been interested in fragrances my whole life, and have sampled as much as I can. I'm not what you'd call a "cosmopolitan" kind of guy, so a lot of the higher-end stuff is beyond me. Let's just say that you're more likely to find me in Old Navy than Nordstrom.

Signing up here has opened up a world of fragrances that I was never aware of. Based on what I know I like, I've been able to sift through reviews and comments and nail down scents I think would appeal to me. In the short time I've been here, I've learned a lot. Hell, I'd never heard of A*Men, or even "gourmands" for that matter. I've been having fun trying this and that from what i've read here. While I trust the reviews and recommendations I read, my nose still has the final word.

Great choices
    I really never got Guerlains vetiver, don't think I ever will either. I get this annoying Hay note every time I try it.

The van cleefs I have yet to try, sounds dark and gothic though, may not be my style

the Azzaro PH is a great masculine scent, but it did not fit my tastes, I am really glad you like it, it's worth the cash!

I recommend these vetivers:
    Encre Noir (the darker inkier vetiver)
    SL Vetiver Oriental (IMO one of the best vetivers)
    and of course, TdH by Hermes
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post
    I'm not a total n00b...I've been interested in fragrances my whole life, and have sampled as much as I can. I'm not what you'd call a "cosmopolitan" kind of guy, so a lot of the higher-end stuff is beyond me. Let's just say that you're more likely to find me in Old Navy than Nordstrom.

Signing up here has opened up a world of fragrances that I was never aware of. Based on what I know I like, I've been able to sift through reviews and comments and nail down scents I think would appeal to me. In the short time I've been here, I've learned a lot. Hell, I'd never heard of A*Men, or even "gourmands" for that matter. I've been having fun trying this and that from what i've read here. While I trust the reviews and recommendations I read, my nose still has the final word.
    Very glad to have you thinking about smells with us, A.Homme. I'll enjoy your posts and thoughts for sure.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

At this point I should add that I have a bottle of Silver Mountain Water on the way. My first Creed.

I've sampled GIT, and....sorry for the comparison, but I find it very similar to Cool Water, which is something I never cared to wear when I was a young man 10 years ago.

Livin' on the edge out here in Oklahoma.....A. Homme.

My advice is to not be too hasty. Give the frags and your developing nose a decent chance. Please wear them several times as you normally would before making final decisions. You often get a different impression of a frag by doing that rather than by testing it on a single exposed spot. I suggest wearing them under your shirt, sprayed to the lower neck and chest.

Van Cleef and Arpels is generally considered to be more of a formal fragrance, and is perhaps best combined with a suit or at least very nice dress clothes.

Don't too afraid to use the frags more liberally. I know you were just testing Vetiver, but I cannot imagine, generally speaking, that one spray of most fragrances would be anywhere close to being too much. Vetiver is one of my all time faves, and I usually use 4-6 sprays.

If, after giving your nose time to understand the frags, you still don't like them, then put them aside and move on to something else. These are all classics, but there's no rule that says you have to like them.

noggs

Azzaro came across as a bit crude to me, and I didn't like the anise and lavender at the time. I still don't like it much, but if I do want this kind of frag, I'd reach for IL by Lancetti anyway. GV is not for me (there's a note or accord that I find unpleasant). Instead, I reach for M; Men when I want a "vetiver frag." VC&A PH is similar to Leonard PH (1980) but is more floral and less dry/austere. I'm not sure, but I think I like the Leonard better (I'll have to give them both a couple more wearings). I think I'll sell or swap off my 125 ml bottle of GV (more than half full), but I think I should give it one more shot.

Guerlain Vetiver
    Creed Original Vetiver

Three Blind Buys
    Three Blind Buys
    What Will I Buy
    What Will I Buy
    A Creed or Le Labo or Serge Luetens
    I'll spend just as much on a Porsche or Benz
    Addicted to scents, and it never ends
    With Three Blind Buys
    Three Blind Buys

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Three Blind Buys
    Three Blind Buys
    What Will I Buy
    What Will I Buy
    A Creed or Le Labo or Serge Luetens
    I'll spend just as much on a Porsche or Benz
    Addicted to scents, and it never ends
    With Three Blind Buys
    Three Blind Buys

buy them all.....hihihihi =)

Guess Suede is ok
    Guess Marciano is nice
    Creed Tabarome LOVE IT!
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

Basenotes Institution

I must echo what has already been said:
    - All three are classics and are worth your patience and time to 'get to know them'. If you hate them eventually, that is totally normal and believe me there's a ton of other fragrances out there to spend your $ and time on
    - Don't expect your impressions of these three fragrances to perfectly match anyone else's impressions. That is the beauty of this hobby of ours, the ability for many different people to experience the same fragrance in wildly different ways
    - Don't make a habit out of buying blind, unless of course you have $ to burn. My advice: sample, sample, sample!

Welcome to BN!