Code of Conduct

Thread: vs.

Default vs.

Differences? Similarities? Preferences?

Also, if one likes Givenchy Vetyver & Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, which one do you think would be prefered?
    Last edited by md1grwl; 24th August 2010 at 01:10 AM.

Default Re: Sycomore vs. Vetiver Extraordinaire ?

I haven't tried Sycamore but from descriptions, it seems like a fairly well designed, complex scent.

Have tried Vetiver Extraordinaire and it is a fantastic scent with great longevity. But it is a pretty "direct" and simple scent to me dominated by a very pronounced vetiver note.

Blog Entries

I tested every vetiver I could find for a while there. I found VE to be hands-down, the creamiest, complex, most satisfying vetiver of all. The Sycomore, on me anyway, was too linear and harsh. It had an incense heavy aspect I did not enjoy.

Basenotes Institution

Sycomore: It is smoky, nutty vetiver with (to my nose) a pronounced floral lift to it that differentiates it from all other vetivers out there. It wears sort of heavy, due to the sweetness, and so I tend to wear this when it's cool or I know I'm going to be in air conditioning. It is probably my favorite Chanel, definitely the most masculine of all of the Les Exclusifs, and worth every penny. Only problem is it's only sold in those huge 200 ml bottles. When I bought mine, I split it with 3 other people, to make it affordable for me to own.

Vetiver Extraordinaire: Stronger, saltier more 'wet' vetiver, with a pronounced root accord that doesn't smell 'dirt'-like rather a more woody/grassy vibe. It also has a very discernable ozonic accord, that sort of smells like hot plastic. It lasts forever on me and wears easier on me during hot days, even a bit refreshing I might say. IMO, this also wears more casual...I feel comfortable wearing this w/ jeans & a T-shirt, whereas the Chanel is a bit more luxurious and refined.

I do not think they are alike at all, except that they both have vetiver.

I can't speak to Sycamore as I've yet to try it - but I do own and absolutely ADORE Vetiver Extraordinaire. I'm a huge lover of vetiver and this is hands down my absolute favorite. Somehow, it manages to pull-off being raw and elegant simultaneously. Just a remarkable fragrance, IMHO. The only fragrance I own that I feel compelled to stockpile.

I'm a fan of Tom Ford GV, and Givenchy Vetyver - which of Sycomore or VE is more similar to them?

based on my limited experience, I would say Sycomore is much closer to Encre noire than anything else. it's got that smokeyness, plus a bit of floral sweetness. Givenchy's seems much nuttier and richer, while EN is almost clinically cold and Sycomore just nearly avoids that with the florals. So, my guess is that VE would be a closer frag to Givenchy.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    based on my limited experience, I would say Sycomore is much closer to Encre noire than anything else. it's got that smokeyness, plus a bit of floral sweetness. Givenchy's seems much nuttier and richer, while EN is almost clinically cold and Sycomore just nearly avoids that with the florals. So, my guess is that VE would be a closer frag to Givenchy.
    Agreed completely. My experience with these was similar to kumquat above....Sycamore is not for me.

I found Sycomore to be somewhere between Vetiver Extraordinaire & Fumidus.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sycomore: It is smoky, nutty vetiver with (to my nose) a pronounced floral lift to it that differentiates it from all other vetivers out there. It wears sort of heavy, due to the sweetness, and so I tend to wear this when it's cool or I know I'm going to be in air conditioning. It is probably my favorite Chanel, definitely the most masculine of all of the Les Exclusifs, and worth every penny. Only problem is it's only sold in those huge 200 ml bottles. When I bought mine, I split it with 3 other people, to make it affordable for me to own.

Vetiver Extraordinaire: Stronger, saltier more 'wet' vetiver, with a pronounced root accord that doesn't smell 'dirt'-like rather a more woody/grassy vibe. It also has a very discernable ozonic accord, that sort of smells like hot plastic. It lasts forever on me and wears easier on me during hot days, even a bit refreshing I might say. IMO, this also wears more casual...I feel comfortable wearing this w/ jeans & a T-shirt, whereas the Chanel is a bit more luxurious and refined.

I do not think they are alike at all, except that they both have vetiver.
    Great description..This is very much on point. They both have a big overdose of vetiver. I feel they are both smooth. I prefer VE..I like the creamy,wet, and grassy smell. Sycomore is really smoke heavy..its more of a dress up scent.
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Sycomore is earthy, forest floor type vetiver that has all the complexity that you might expect from well done Chanel fragrance. It feels a little heavy to me and maybe too complex but no question it smells good.

Givenchy Vetiver is a simpler vetiver scent that is green, dry and has a woody base. Simple and pure.

Vetiver Extraordinaire smells more like a straight ahead vetiver fragrance to me. It is green, fresh and almost aromatic while never leaving the vetiver focus.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is like its name a quiet shades of grey and green vetiver. It reminds me of Givenchy Vetiver the most but it has more complexity and subtlety to it.

My favorites are: (1) Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, (2) Givenchy Vetyver, (3) Sycomore, (4) Vetiver Extraordinaire. That said, I personally like Sel d' Vetiver (a bright fresh vetiver), Encre Noir (dark moody vetiver) and Villoresi Vetiver (earth and roots vetiver) more than any of these four you are looking at. Vetiveru (simple vetiver) is also a very nice vetiver too. Of course these opinions are all very subjective and will probably change after the next new thing comes out.

I've tried both:

Sycamore was enjoyable at first, but then it got too gritty to maintain the magic in it's opening and heart.

Vetiver Extraordinaire continues to be my favorite vetiver. I love everything about it, from the fresh ozonic notes to the simultaneously smooth yet raspy vetiver and woods.
    Sales thread here